2017/18 NHL Refresh (24/31 BOS Added)

JB Designs

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, D3 Designs said:

Logo's a tad large

27 minutes ago, TheGoldenTriangle said:

It might be me, but the logo looks way to big. The rest of the uniform is great. Overall, it's a great set.

Updated the original post with a resized logo and a captains patch for greater accuracy

• JB Designs changed the title to 2017 NHL Refresh (5/31: EDM updated)

Los Angeles Kings

In my opinion, the Kings have one of the most frustrating jersey sets in the NHL due to inconsistent hem striping and the untapped potential of their previous color pallets. In this redesign, purple (albeit a slighter brighter purple than their original Rbk Edge update) is brought back into the fold. The jerseys take the striping pattern from the 50th anniversary sweater and adapt it to the 4-color scheme. The home-plate logo is removed and replaced with its predecessor and the LA monogram is promoted to full-time secondary status. The purple yokes of the original Edge re-brand make a comeback to return purple to its former glory atop the shoulders of the NHL's one and only monarchy.5935ba6cab9e8_KingsSet.thumb.png.f50a77e3a8a77d4bbf11e679bed5739e.png  

• JB Designs changed the title to 2017 NHL Refresh (5/31: LAK completed)

Arizona Coyotes

Spent awhile figuring out exactly what I wanted to do with this one, so I apologize for the wait. Fortunately, that results in a final design I'm very happy with. This look takes the striping pattern from the Coyote's original Kachina jerseys and marries it with the upper arm striping and identical arms of today's home and away. The chest logo bridges the gap between the abstract hockey-playing coyote and current howling 'yote by simply taking the head of  the previous design. I feel this recolored chest logo fits in better with the kachina pattern and allows for the reimplimentation of green into the Coyote's identity. This green finds it's way into the paw print shoulder patch and the Arizona State logo can be found on the pants, otherwise bare to keep from further busy-ing up the already exciting striping pattern.

593c6467cee4c_JustinBrolley-ARI.thumb.png.511beaff85771dea2b398a8a42303e59.png

PS:Which way is the Coyote facing to you guys? I've always interpreted it as facing to the left, with it's maroon and green ears peeking out behind it's mask, but one of my friends suggested it's facing at you with a half-mask look and that the maroon and green points are part of some abstract head-dress. One of those things I've never thought of, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

On 5/24/2017 at 2:43 PM, JB Designs said:

I've decided I'm going to take it division by division in alphabetical order. So next up is the Anaheim Ducks.

Just realized I had the Pacific Alphabetically in my head with Arizona as Phoenix, so that explains why its so grossly out of order. My bad.

• JB Designs changed the title to 2017 NHL Refresh (6/31 ARI completed)

Vancouver Canucks

Growing up, even though we were Canadian, my brother had always thought a Canuck was a term for a specific type of orca. Because of this, and my general dislike of that logo, the orca fades away from the Canucks identity and the updated stick in the rink returns, along with the Johnny Canuck - V on the shoulders. The jerseys take their striping pattern from the original away sweaters and create a matching pair with the home. The arm-striping adopts the V in a more natural way, in my opinion, with the V formed by the dividing stripe rather than simply being lopped on top of the stripes altogether. The pants echo this V-pattern while otherwise remaining bare to keep the uniform set from being too busy with its design subtleties. 

594568191abc7_JustinBrolley-VAN.thumb.png.9f141c685552e475d8c1676291cb4b29.png

• JB Designs changed the title to 2017 NHL Refresh (7/31 VAN completed)

Vegas Golden Knights

This set was designed by taking cues from Vegas' draft hat and coupling that with the upper-arm pattern that has become increasingly popular lately. This upper arm striping slants downward to form a V on the arms and give the Golden Knights a look all their own. I will say that despite my initial thoughts on the addition of red in the color pallete, it does tie everything together once that beautiful secondary logo is added. Not much to add beyond that; this one is pretty much what you see is what you get. Let me know what you think.

5945b329dd81b_JustinBrolley-VGS.thumb.png.7c80cbcaf71a3c13f436c6c5094c6921.png 

• JB Designs changed the title to 2017 NHL Refresh (8/31 VGS completed)

Jerseys like the Predators and Oilers new adidas looks are the reason we have concept designers. Sure, we may be disappointed, but we journey on in pursuit of a brighter and more well-designed future. Today is no different. That being said, we move into the central division.

Chicago Blackhawks

It's always hard to approach a team with an "untouchable" look, especially one that has exhausted so many additional designs in their outdoor resume, but I wouldn't be much of a concept artist if I didn't give it a go, now would I? In this look, the home striping pattern is reversed in number, with two stripes on the arms and one on the hem. This pattern is furthered by an arm fill between the stripes and completed with the addition of the Hawks secondary logo on the arms and the TV numbers bumped to the shoulder. The road sweater adopts the same design while keeping the thin wipe stripe on the red/black borders to protect against color blending. The socks echo the arm striping and the pants remain bare to complement the design trends of the rest of the uniform.

5949ab0ca832b_JustinBrolley-CHI.thumb.png.5bbd882c103ada9481f014f95e949941.png

• JB Designs changed the title to 2017 NHL Refresh (9/31 CHI completed)

Colorado Avalanche

Many in the design world, including myself, were over the moon with Colorado's return to the mountain striping with adidas, but what if they went in another direction? This set is inspired by blending the old identity with the Avs modernized look in their alternate and Stadium Series designs. The away sweater takes its arm striping from the Stadium Series look and recolors it to match the Avs color hierarchy. This design is inverted on the hem and socks for a clean and consistent look. The colorado C finds it way to the shoulders and the black pants remain empty, consistent with each of the Avs past equipment sets. On the home sweater, the arm striping remains and connects with the torso for a more traditional look than the upper-arm pattern of the away. This pattern is duplicated on the hem and socks to give a different look from the away while still completing a consistent set.

595013fb343c2_JustinBrolley-COL.thumb.png.642d0c035644fe220588751a0f43ed17.png

• JB Designs changed the title to 2017 NHL Refresh (10/31 COL completed)

Dallas Stars

In this set, the stars connect their current identity with their past, namely their past in Minnesota. This North Stars-inspired set brings silver into the striping of the Stars' sweaters. Victory Green is features prominently on both sweaters with the inclusion of large cuffs and a shoulder yoke on the away and a green helmet on the home, a new look for the stars that references the teams' origins yet again. The home features a white yoke inspired by the North Stars, but removes the outlines from that look for a simpler, more modern feel. The shoulders are left blank as another callback to the North Stars uniforms and the State of Texas logo finds itself on the pants.

595148218a6cc_JustinBrolley-DAL.thumb.png.cc5021a6af4e887883d647cfaa1a8beb.png 

• JB Designs changed the title to 2017 NHL Refresh (11/31 DAL completed)

Minnesota Wild

Minnesota took a big step forward in their adidas rebrand. The chest stripe looks great, the addition of red into the home's striping is a nice touch and the beautiful away sweater remains. However, their uni set still lacks some much needed consistency. It can be noted that this concept does not carry out quite such a radical change as my previous concepts, but that is because I see the Wild as a team that just needs the final push into relative design perfection.

In this set, the home looks much like its adidas counterpart with the arm stripes duplicated on the hem. The new M secondary graces the shoulders and pants and pulls together a clean look. The road switches up its striping from the Wild's currrent green-heavy look and adopts a design inspired by the full-length yoke look from their original jersey set. I think this allows for a greater exploration of their unique color pallet and works to form that much needed consistency between their home and road looks.  

5955686b6b12c_JustinBrolley-MIN.thumb.png.881317bcd92ef64b376fb370d13a05d8.png

Let me know what you think.

• JB Designs changed the title to 2017 NHL Refresh (12/31 MIN completed)

Archived