2017/18 NHL Refresh (24/31 BOS Added)

JB Designs

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 11:27 AM, JB Designs said:

Realized I had the files on me, so I did a rough color change on both per @ldconcepts's feedback. This was just to see what each would look like. I'll go back and clean the final look up when I get some time today. At the moment I'd say I think I like the full navy set the most of the three.

1) Original

Above

2) Navy Blue

595a705edf4f6_Blues(Navy)Set.thumb.png.b04b4776f444d17803806d39b9b7e9c9.png

3) Winter Classic Blue

595a706bb29a0_RoyalBluesSet.thumb.png.db278a84fab1193c7dbf14760fe89a02.png

4)  Current Royal Blue

595a85471107d_NewRoyalBluesSet.thumb.png.98c8d552a0170c140d6bf4dda1225c9e.png

LOVE ME SOME BLUE AND YELLOW-GOLD!

I LOVE IT. LOVE IT! LOVE IT!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 0:36 PM, JB Designs said:

I've decided I'm going to take it division by division in alphabetical order. So next up is the Anaheim Ducks.

Anaheim Ducks

With the talk of the Ducks moving to an orange primary jersey next season, I decided to draw inspiration from their Stadium Series uniforms. Like the Sharks jerseys before them, this set utilizes slightly different striping patterns in order to keep certain colors from contacting each other, in this case the gold and orange. The OC shoulder patch from the Stadium Series jerseys is promoted to a full-time secondary logo and finds its place on the shoulders in pants. 

59271605d8c72_DucksSet.thumb.png.9381a1ff05aaa141f2a27b998455cf08.png

Let me know what you think. Calgary is next...

Orange and old gold is a unique combination. Hmmmmm! Unique for the Ducks to fall into something like this.

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 3:19 PM, JB Designs said:

Winnipeg Jets

In this set, the Jets rely on their primary logo to establish the color scheme and overall theme of the uniforms. Red and silver are added into the identity and the double-blue scheme is abandoned. The striping pattern draws from military rankings and sits within an upper-arm pattern that is angled to match. This pattern creates an extended yoke on the away which connects to the current identity in that the home remains yoke-less while the away adopts a different look based on the same design. The socks echo the pattern of the ranking bars and the Jets' current secondary find its place on the pants, where it is much better suited IMO than its current position on the shoulders. Due to to the upper arm design, the TV numbers move to the shoulders to finish off this military-inspired look.

595bf8673dd8d_JustinBrolley-WPG.thumb.png.ffd87ba3eb3c9f776d7941c3a23fcf7b.png

This deserves more love. I love how you slipped in silver into the uniform color! Much better! <3

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 0:34 PM, JB Designs said:

Vancouver Canucks

Growing up, even though we were Canadian, my brother had always thought a Canuck was a term for a specific type of orca. Because of this, and my general dislike of that logo, the orca fades away from the Canucks identity and the updated stick in the rink returns, along with the Johnny Canuck - V on the shoulders. The jerseys take their striping pattern from the original away sweaters and create a matching pair with the home. The arm-striping adopts the V in a more natural way, in my opinion, with the V formed by the dividing stripe rather than simply being lopped on top of the stripes altogether. The pants echo this V-pattern while otherwise remaining bare to keep the uniform set from being too busy with its design subtleties. 

594568191abc7_JustinBrolley-VAN.thumb.png.9f141c685552e475d8c1676291cb4b29.png

Lovely combo as always!

New York Islanders

In this set, I tried to develop a new look for the now island-less Islanders by combining three of their recent looks (Their current home and road looks, their Brooklyn-inspired alternate, and their Stadium Series design). The overall color layout is taken from their current set, with the blue and orange flipped in comparison on the road for better color balance. The logo and white yoke on the home is taken from their SS design and the 4-stripe pattern is taken from their Brooklyn look. This pattern is matched on the socks and the 4-stripe look finds itself on a square shoulder yoke. The pants get a Blue-Jackets treatment with a single stripe along the bottom and remain bare of any logo complementing the unique design of the rest of the set.

596d5c46935a3_JustinBrolley-NYI.thumb.png.8e03ed4d7f3e2ba33653bc7e006c24a8.png

C&C welcome, as always.

• JB Designs changed the title to 2017 NHL Refresh (19/31 NYI completed)
  • JB Designs changed the title to 2017 NHL Refresh (19/31 NYI updated)

New York Rangers

The Rangers' current look leaves very little to be desired, save for a bit more consistency. This set seeks to find that consistency by looking to two specialty jerseys from the Rangers' recent history, namely their most recent alternate and Winter Classic jerseys. The away in this set draws almost directly from the WC jersey with the extension of the bottom hem stripe t aid the set's color balance, the usage of the "New York" diagonal text, and the usage of white rather than vintage white. This striping pattern is matched on the home, yielding a look much like their most recent alternate with the addition of shoulder stripes,"Rangers" text in place of the geographic identifier, and white again taking the place of vintage white. Both uniforms use navy in place of royal to give the Rangers a fresh look (also because it was used in both the Alt and WC uniforms). The Rangers maintain their iconic pant design and their WC logo is promoted to primary status to better mesh with this retro-inspired identity.

59715a02d96ff_JustinBrolley-NYR.thumb.png.492c12696b4b136654af0c057a4a73f6.png

• JB Designs changed the title to 2017 NHL Refresh (20/31 NYR Added)

2 minutes ago, TheGoldenTriangle said:

Oh man, that navy is so dark, almost black, but it’s overall it’s classic look for a O6 team.

I matched the color code with the website I use for all of them, so I'm not sure why it's so dark. I had thought the same thing and I might actually check it against another website to see if they actually got that wrong. I kinda like the current darkness of it, tbh, gives them a unique look

Philadelphia Flyers

As a Pens fan talking about the Flyers in any capacity is enough to make me nauseous, so I'm going to do my best to keep this short and sweet.

The flyers get a look inspired by their current logo and past history of hockey in Philadelphia. The arm striping draws its pattern from the wings on the logo with four black stripes highlighted by 5 white. The hem and socks pay tribute to the Philadelphia Quakers with a three stripe design that uses black to fill the negative space. The Quakers are also the source of inspiration for the bare black pants in this set. This pattern is carried over to the away with orange having its influence on the cuffs and yoke to establish the color balance. The name and numbers maintain the Flyer's current look, including their iconic contrasting nameplates. Overall, the look seeks to marry new and old to give the Flyers a fresh look that separates them from their current look.

597289ba86cf8_JustinBrolley-PHI.thumb.png.a88ae480d3fd53de5b6bed1b693833d7.png

• JB Designs changed the title to 2017 NHL Refresh (21/31 PHI Added)
1 minute ago, NoE38 said:

Flyers look good. Nothing to complain about design-wise, but for execution, the sock stripes look a little low.

I left them a bit low intentionally. That way the road would be primarily white, rather than half white, half orange if that makes sense. I may look at it with them a little higher to see what that'd look like overall.

4 minutes ago, JB Designs said:

I left them a bit low intentionally. That way the road would be primarily white, rather than half white, half orange if that makes sense. I may look at it with them a little higher to see what that'd look like overall.

I see what you mean there, I don't always like it with my concepts, so that's understandable. One last piece of advice, although it looks just fine without it, I feel like the concepts would look a lot cleaner if the stripes were curved on the arms and hem. I'm not suggesting you do this right away, or even do it at all, but just something to keep in mind.

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

• 6 months later...

We're back baby!

After a long hiatus due to moving twice, starting a new job, having paint.net die on me, acquiring a new design software, and learning that software (and a new template courtesy of @JCRGraphix) all while being a full-time college student, I am happy to say I'm reviving the series. I can't promise the same rate of release as I'd been operating over the summer, but I can promise that there wont be 7 months in between entries ever again, so without further ado...

Pittsburgh Penguins

This one gave me the fits for awhile. Designing for your favorite team is hard (harder than I appreciated til trying) because everything has to be just right. I was initially inspired by the design of the 2017 ASG Jerseys to give the Penguins an extended yoke to tie in with the "Golden Triangle" identity. Unfortunately the color balance on such a look really hampered it success, with the road either being too heavy on the black or two heavy on the gold.

What we have here is my solution, marrying the extended yoke with the Pens pre-edge striping, a la Crosby's rookie year, and their current color scheme (and hem layout) to tie everything back together. Beyond that the rest is pretty self explanatory, current number font stays and NOB and #OB colors are shifted around a bit to better fit the new look. Pens keep to their theme of no shoulder logos and the pants remain bear save for a vertical white-yellow pattern to match the yoke tips of the road.

iFg7wEH.png

As always, C&C appreciated. It's good to be back!

• JB Designs changed the title to 2017 NHL Refresh (22/31 PIT Added)

Archived