2017/18 NHL Refresh (24/31 BOS Added)

JB Designs

Nashville Predators

An update for my "biggest loser" of the Adidas re-brand. The Preds have such a unique identity if they're just willing to explore it. Here we have a combination of old and new with the full-length yokes returning in the modern color identity. The yoke comes to a point at the cuffs, calling on the sabretooth in the logo (Fun Fact: the yoke-sleeves are taken directly from the teeth in the logo, rotated, resized, and recolored). The guitar string numbers and the guitar pick shoulder logos remain with the NP logo taking its place on the pants. Hem and socks are kept simple to complement the yoke, with the sock stripes drawing their pattern from the yoke of each uniform.

5956c192019bb_JustinBrolley-NSH.thumb.png.0b3b4763a4773474f6529ddf5e3c9f62.png

• JB Designs changed the title to 2017 NHL Refresh (13/31 NSH completed)
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

St. Louis Blues

This concept reorders the Blues' color hierarchy with Navy taking precedence, white and yellow as the main secondaries, and the royal used as an accent color to help the logo and striping stand out. The striping pattern was originally inspired by the 5 lines and 4 spaces of the treble clef, however one pair was removed to clean up the overall look. The hem and cuffs take on a different color from the sweater body to aid in the color balance and add a vintage feel. This pattern is matched on the socks and the pants remain relatively simple with the 5-stripe design drawing that connection to the treble clef and calling back to the Gretzky-era uniforms.

595a60e84a57f_JustinBrolley-STL.thumb.png.a748007907758b318db120946990a3e9.png

• JB Designs changed the title to 2017 NHL Refresh (14/31 STL completed)
8 minutes ago, ldconcepts said:

I like the design, but I think it only needs three colours. I'd either remove all navy or royal blue.

I was thinking about that, but I wasn't a huge fan of the navy logo on the navy jersey. I'll give it a more in depth look and probably post what that'd look like when I get some time this afternoon/evening.

Realized I had the files on me, so I did a rough color change on both per @ldconcepts's feedback. This was just to see what each would look like. I'll go back and clean the final look up when I get some time today. At the moment I'd say I think I like the full navy set the most of the three.

1) Original

Above

2) Navy Blue

595a705edf4f6_Blues(Navy)Set.thumb.png.b04b4776f444d17803806d39b9b7e9c9.png

3) Winter Classic Blue

595a706bb29a0_RoyalBluesSet.thumb.png.db278a84fab1193c7dbf14760fe89a02.png

4)  Current Royal Blue

595a85471107d_NewRoyalBluesSet.thumb.png.98c8d552a0170c140d6bf4dda1225c9e.png

@TheGoldenTriangle I had actually started this concept with that logo. Unfortunately, It didn't look right to me for whatever reason, so I moved forward with the current one.

St. Louis Blues (UPDATE)

Here's the updated look at the Blues. Same goes as above, but with the treble-B from their Gretzky-era Wordmark replacing the primary on the pants, both becoming more noticeable and providing a greater callback to the era. Really happy with the way this one ended update thanks to all your guys' feedback. 

595ab6033dcb5_JustinBrolley-STL.thumb.png.e6d7bcb07058d3073b85529a240dc844.png

• JB Designs changed the title to 2017 NHL Refresh (14/31 STL UPDATED)

Winnipeg Jets

In this set, the Jets rely on their primary logo to establish the color scheme and overall theme of the uniforms. Red and silver are added into the identity and the double-blue scheme is abandoned. The striping pattern draws from military rankings and sits within an upper-arm pattern that is angled to match. This pattern creates an extended yoke on the away which connects to the current identity in that the home remains yoke-less while the away adopts a different look based on the same design. The socks echo the pattern of the ranking bars and the Jets' current secondary find its place on the pants, where it is much better suited IMO than its current position on the shoulders. Due to to the upper arm design, the TV numbers move to the shoulders to finish off this military-inspired look.

595bf8673dd8d_JustinBrolley-WPG.thumb.png.ffd87ba3eb3c9f776d7941c3a23fcf7b.png

• JB Designs changed the title to 2017 NHL Refresh (15/31 WPG completed)

Carolina Hurricanes

The Hurricanes did a beautiful thing when they resurrected their warning flag pattern on their adidas uniforms yet missed that mark IMO with an over-reliance on black and a quarantine of the pattern to the home jersey. In this set, the warning flag pattern rests on a black base to keep the pattern distinct and to keep the jerseys from becoming overly red-washed. The hurricanes keep their previous red-white dominant identity by balancing these colors with the white hem and cuffs on the home and the red yoke and hem on the road. The socks take their pattern from the hem of each jersey and the pants remain bare outside of a new secondary logo, of my own design, that also rests on the shoulders.

This new secondary logo creates a simple CH-monogram that can be used across many areas of Hurricanes branding while tying in to the current identity as it is constructed from an individual warning flag. Overall, the idea was to give the 'Canes a simple, yet distinct logo that they could utilize going forward.

59626185a4b8d_JustinBrolley-CAR.thumb.png.d6988a3d969a34b804237ff92d575835.png

• JB Designs changed the title to 2017 NHL Refresh (16/31 CAR completed)

Columbus Blue Jackets

This Jackets set relies heavily on Civil War inspiration with the cannon logo taking center stage and the striping drawing from the uniform of a Union soldier. The diagonal chest stripe connects with the horizontal hem stripe on the front and wraps around to the back with just the horizontal hem. The socks and arms match the hem and the current primary logo finds its way to the pants and shoulders. The Jackets maintain the unique name and number font of their Reebok set and the pants remain the same save for the addition of the logo.

5965724d81d0c_JustinBrolley-CBJ.thumb.png.4bc0d9218bcf78f9ea64ad38fb5e681a.png

• JB Designs changed the title to 2017 NHL Refresh (17/31 CBJ completed)

@TheGoldenTriangle I want to keep the hem stripe to keep the Union Army significance. Plus just a diagonal stripe is something I've seen before, so I'd like to keep things fresh. I'm assuming this is what you mean by a disconnected hem stripe. This is actually what I started out with and decided against at the time, but now it seems to be the better way to go.

596581a4ba9cd_BlueJacketsSet.thumb.png.0770457a14eb2633bdb206f8d71c8267.png

New Jersey Devils

With a growing crop of youth, now including 1st-overall pick Nico Hischier, the Devils could benefit from a modernization of their iconic look. It is my belief that they attempted that (albeit without much success) in their addidas rebrand. In this concept, I hope to provide an alternative route for modernization by actually throwing back to an old logo. This concept champions the prototype logo that was ultimately discarded by the devils in favor of the combined NJ. To be honest, I've always disliked the current Devils logo simply based on the letter recognition, the J pops right away, but the N has to be inferred to some extent. This logo doesn't have that issue, with both letters prevalent. 

Now, I hate BFBS as much as any other designer, but the Devils pallet hierarchy is re-imagined here for two reasons: 1) BFBS is possibly the easiest way to connect a design to youthfulness for whatever reason (see Team North America in the WCoH). 2) I think this logo simply looks better against black rather than red. The striping takes cues from the Devils jerseys of old, where a stripe was created on the dark jersey by simply outlining the base color in white, effectively providing two different looks from an identical striping pattern. This is accomplished here with hem trim and black outlines on the away while the striping takes a straightforward look on the home. The black-heavy uniform is matched with red pants with a simple white-outlined black stripe and the main logo on their left. The main logo is left with a black outline against the black base of the home and the white of the road to achieve a similar look to the striping on each uniform where is component is defined by the black that surrounds it.

59683718481d0_JustinBrolley-NJD.thumb.png.f9a48e1b8997d3e0c9e51a78911ae780.png

Archived