Bolton Wanderers 20th Anniversary Logo Competition

philhiney

Not sure if this is the right place, but Bolton Wanderers (UK soccer team) have been running a logo competition and my design has been shortlisted. I have attached the designs below, I would love to hear everyones thoughts on all the logos. 

Please see the link below if you would like to vote.

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2017/may/logo-competition-shortlist-announced/

Large.jpeg

Congratulations and best of luck!!!

Bolton Wanderers have been my favorite team since I was exposed to English soccer while living in Ireland in 2001. I've followed them from arms length over the years and it's very exciting to see your design among the finalists of this competition!!!!

I think it's wonderful that, on a board which includes a very exclusive community of professional sports logo designers, someone can proudly proclaim that he/she has partaken in spec work for a large, deep-pocketed professional sports organization.

After all, professional designers know that the very bestest way to produce meaningful work is to do it for free, in an open competition with other members of the general public, for an organization looking to capitalize on the enthusiasm of its fan base in order to avoid paying anything.

I hope you "win" your the chance to see the large, rich, professional football organization use your design for free.

I made sure to make my pick before commenting. I liked A, B and D. B was a bit difficult to pick though because I don't see anything that says it's in regards to the stadium rather than the club. I hadn't realized it'd been that long since they moved into the Reebok/Macron.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

8 hours ago, Captain Poncho said:

I think it's wonderful that, on a board which includes a very exclusive community of professional sports logo designers, someone can proudly proclaim that he/she has partaken in spec work for a large, deep-pocketed professional sports organization.

After all, professional designers know that the very bestest way to produce meaningful work is to do it for free, in an open competition with other members of the general public, for an organization looking to capitalize on the enthusiasm of its fan base in order to avoid paying anything.

I hope you "win" your the chance to see the large, rich, professional football organization use your design for free.

I see your point, but my first ever design job was working for Reebok in that stadium, helping design BWFC sportswear. 10 years later I am earning a living doing what I love, in someway thanks to BWFC. I consider working on a Bolton Wanderers design as a little throwback to my youth, so was happy to work on it for free. No one is making anyone enter this competition and it gives people the chance to work on something they never would normally have. Also the prize for the winner comes to over £600 which isn't a bad pay off. 

4 hours ago, philhiney said:

Winner has been announced. Unfortunately I didn't win, but for those wondering, my design was the design A. Fun project to get involved in and learned a lot in the process. 

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2017/may/logo-competition-winner-announced/

...and I voted for A because it's the only one that was self-contained and not bland. Great job...the one that was chosen is a mess.

Not sure how many contests you've entered like this before, but I've always found that it's a matter of who can leverage more of their friends to vote for them. Next time, you should leverage these boards.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

I like A the best myself, with D being a close runner-up. The winning logo is rather cluttered and ugly, though at least it does reference the stadium (unlike B, E, or F). B, E, and F looked like club anniversary logos rather than stadium anniversary logos.

And yeah, a downright crazy 20 years for that club, especially in recent times. I recall their former manager once quipping that their club had "been through hell," which is just about the best way put things. I saw they just got promoted to the Championship again, though, so hopefully this'll begin a much-needed upswing in their fortunes.

On 01/06/2017 at 1:34 PM, agentrygraphics said:

...and I voted for A because it's the only one that was self-contained and not bland. Great job...the one that was chosen is a mess.

Not sure how many contests you've entered like this before, but I've always found that it's a matter of who can leverage more of their friends to vote for them. Next time, you should leverage these boards.

Yep, totally agree, but it just feels wrong trying to win a competition because you have more friends. In fairness to the design that won, it was the overwhelming favourite on the fans Facebook page. 

I actually had a design that got rejecting that I much preferred to the one they chose. This is much closer to my usual style of design. 

Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 11.51.17.png

On 6/6/2017 at 6:53 AM, philhiney said:

Yep, totally agree, but it just feels wrong trying to win a competition because you have more friends. In fairness to the design that won, it was the overwhelming favourite on the fans Facebook page. 

I actually had a design that got rejecting that I much preferred to the one they chose. This is much closer to my usual style of design. 

Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 11.51.17.png

that's outstanding, man. Outstanding!

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

Archived