Redesigning the Veikkausliiga - Finnish soccer premier division (whole league done)

Pulv!

In a reflection moment from my others ongoing projects I decided to give a try at rebranding the Finnish Veikkausliiga, the nation top soccer tier. I always like to improve my skills with little known leagues as I can go pretty wild with my ideas.

The Veikkauslliga has a nice overall design and some logos are flashy too but others are really in need of a make up session and kits are just completely plain.

finland-veikkausliiga.png

This is the actual league logo (not my work :D), LIIGA stands for league and VEIKKAUS is the name of a betting agency.

The league plays in the summer season and has 12 teams.

For 2017 season the teams are:

Inter Turku FC - Turku

Lahti FC - Lahti

HIFK fotboll - Helsinki

HJK - Helsinki

IFK Mariehamn - Mariehamn, Aland Islands

FC Ilves - Tampere

JJK - Jyvaskyla

KuPS - Kuopio

PS Kemi Kings - Kemi

RoPS - Rovaniemi

SJK - Seinajoki

VPS - Vaasa

Here you have a map with all the teams  https://drive.google.com/open?id=199mTwpDPiqZuU4YSc-3hZeEwvOE&usp=sharing

In my concept the whole league will be outfitted by Nike and I'm going to use Raysox's Nike template.

So, let's get started...

HIFK Fotboll

Full name: Idrottsföreningen Kamraterna i Helsingfors (Sporting Society Comrades of Helsinki)

Stadium: Telia 5G Areena (10,770)

Nickname: The Star Chested, The City Pride

Founded: 1897 (1907 for soccer)

Finnish titles: 7

HIFK is a sport association with many different branches including hockey, bandy and soccer. They sport a red jersey also if their crest is of complete different colors.

Actual logos and kits

HIFK_Helsinki-logo-E8783709A7-seeklogo.c-cGyHRcc_400x400.jpeghifk.png&key=b71670cc48a8b5518161cfae886

My concept

I switched colors and edited the shield to make it more fitting to the identity. I added a white sash on the home to mock the shield and a big four pointed star sublimated on the white clash kit (both on front and back). The sponsor , VR Group, is the Finnish national railway network.

34709964762_ca51eb8567_h.jpg

34742032411_6f3b8df5fa_h.jpg

38665609364_bedb96967e_o.png                                                                                        spacer.pngMy Behance                                                                                                   

HJK

Full name: Helsingin Jalkapalloklubi (Helsinki football club)

Stadium: Telia 5G Areena (10,770)

Nickname: The Club

Founded: 1907

Finnish titles: 27

HJK is the most victorious team in the whole league with its 27 league titles ( the second, FC Haka, has only 9) hence the two stars on the logo.

Actual logo and kits

HJK-Header.pngmike_o_daniel.jpg?itok=Dx_-l3-L&stmp=142

My concept

I slightly edited the crest to give to it a more modern feel, the football ball is still an old one but from a cleaner point of view. I got rid of the terrible white yoke on the home kit and used yellow as a clash color. On the clash kit you have two sublimated stars (Juventus away jersey was a good reference here...). Finnlines, the new main sponsor, is a ferry operator in the Baltic Sea.

34048269094_f0884ba4be_h.jpg

34759222631_6b08e7c1aa_h.jpg

38665609364_bedb96967e_o.png                                                                                        spacer.pngMy Behance                                                                                                   

Awesome work so far, however I have a few critiques:

-The away HIFK kit could use red shorts

-A white stripe on the home HJK shorts would still really convey the pinstriped look

Can't wait to see what you do for IFK Mariehamn! Also, will Jokerit be a sports club in this universe to establish a three way rivalry of Helsinki or the promotion of F.C. Jokerit Helsinki?

That's what- She

On 5/26/2017 at 7:00 AM, mamiller99 said:

Awesome work so far, however I have a few critiques:

-The away HIFK kit could use red shorts

-A white stripe on the home HJK shorts would still really convey the pinstriped look

Can't wait to see what you do for IFK Mariehamn! Also, will Jokerit be a sports club in this universe to establish a three way rivalry of Helsinki or the promotion of F.C. Jokerit Helsinki?

I'll  definitely try out your suggestions.

This is not a fantasy league, so I'll stick with the actual teams playing in the league this year. So, unfortunately, HJK and HIFK are the only teams from Helsinki.

I changed the white shorts with red ones for the HIFK home kit and added side striping to both HJK home and HIFK clash.

34811918302_491f80d11b_h.jpg

34811918262_14b65cf6fe_h.jpg

34811918042_313db07655_h.jpg

IFK Mariehamn

Full name: Idrottsföreningen Kamraterna Mariehamn (Mairehamn Sporting Society Comrades)

Stadium: Wikloef Holding Arena (4,000)

Nickname: The Islanders, The greenwhites

Founded: 1919

Finnish titles: 1

Mariehamn is located on the swedish-speaking Aland Islands which are part of Finland.

Actual logo and kits

fallbackimg_5997593.jpg;format=jpg;bg=2e7001;chksum=0vGKtpxHLxFzlzMHNbe7fQ 

14-svyle-33373858e286ec22365.jpgreplika_skjorta.jpg?itok=ZARqLf6r

My Concept

I edited the crest to differentiate it from all the others IFK teams but still trying to retain most of the original feel. On the shirts blue is now a prominent color as green. The clash kit was inspired by the Aland Islands (green) fading into the clear baltic sea (blue). The main sponsor is another time a ferry company, based in Mariehamn. 

34840174731_be844e93c4_h.jpg

34972047735_f91fe6c3ee_h.jpg

Any comment?

4 hours ago, THEANGEL&THEGAMBLER said:

underrated thread

I like where your going with these. You've really cleaned up and unified these identities

Thanks!

FC Lahti 

Full name: Football Club Lahti

Stadium: Lahden Stadion (14,500)

Nickname: The Black Drones

Founded: 1996

Finnish titles: 0

FC Lahti was created from the merging of FC Kuusysi (founded in 1934) and Reipas Lahti (founded in 1891 in Viipuri, now in Russia)

Actual logo and kits

mwkQ6Yld.jpg                   fin_lahti_1_07.gif                       fin_lahti_2_06.gif

My concept

The crest concept in not a big departure from their actual one. I just got rid of the two creatures by the shield and eliminated some black borders. The clash kit was made white as is quite a nonsense to have two really dark jerseys of close colors. The shield on the white away was designed to be sublimated white. Fazer, the main sponsor, is a world renown chocolate and candy factory which has a plant in Lahti.

34262905673_50804cad70_h.jpg

34230052654_683a2f43db_h.jpg

FC Ilves

Full name: Tampereen Ilves (Tampere Lynx)

Stadium: Tammela Stadion (5,040)

Nickname: The Lynx

Founded: 1931

Ilves have also a futsal and hockey team.

Actual logo and kits

ilves_logo.png                        korte_eero_08_600x840px.jpg

My concept

I redesigned the lynx including the logo head into a roundel. Uni design is not a big departure from what they wear now, IMO one of the best looks of the whole actual league. The chest striping on the clash jersey was inspired by the team hockey jersey. Norra, the main sponsor, is a regional airline serving minor airports in Finland, Sweden and Norway which has a lot of flights departing from Tampere airport.

35087930985_23e7a5a05e_h.jpg

34957267931_85775153ce_h.jpg

FC Inter Turku

Full name: Football Club International Turku

Stadium: Veritas Stadion (9,400)

Nickname: The Black and Blues

Founded: 1990

The club identity has always been inspired by Inter FC (Milan, Italy) colors.

Actual logo and kits

maxresdefault.jpg     pelipaita.jpg

My concept

The home jersey was heavily inspired by this season Atalanta FC kit. The clash jersey was made red as red is a prominent team color  to differentiate from Inter FC. Wartsila, the main sponsor, is a world renown marine engine manufacturer based in Finland and was chosen linked with Turku main naval shipyard tradition.

34753565610_33365ca7ea_h.jpg

35009325641_4bcfe3d8a9_h.jpg

JJK

Full name:Jyväskylän Jalkapalloklubi (Jyväskylä Football Club)

Stadium: Harjun Stadion (5000)

Nickname: The Foxes

Founded: 1992

Finnish titles: 0

Jyväskylän Palloilijat, the predecessor of the club, was founded in 1923 and was refounded again in 1977 as JYP-77.

Actual logo and kits

logo-jjk%20jyvaskyla%20fc.jpg    2017-04-06-JJK-Official-Veikkausliiga-Portraits-029-web.jpgjjk-fanipaita-valkoinen-450x285.jpg

My Concept

IMO JJK crest logo looks like a wrong son of the Barca crest and a biscuit factory logo so I decided to get rid of the banner with the city name and to fit the JJK script in the roundel. I've also changed the skinny fox to just a fox head in good old Leicester fashion. As the roundel is somewhat tasting of Barca I  decided to adopt the spanish team jersey scheme for the home kit. The clash kit was inspired by snow foxes, the team animal mascot. The team does not sport any sponsor as all their activity is done via crowfounding.

34373489323_6629920fe1_h.jpg

34373489493_1cb4c04f0e_h.jpg

KuPS

Full name:Kuopion Palloseura (Kuopio Football Club)

Stadium: Magnum Areena (3500)

Nickname: Yellow Blacks, The Canaries

Founded: 1923

Finnish titles: 5

KuPS first kit in 1923 was a white shirt with green stripes.

Actual logo and kits

kups2016.png

My concept

I modernised a bit the badge introducing a new shade of yellow. The home jersey has a slight gradient between the two shades of yellow. Savon Sanomat, the main sponsor, is a local newspaper.

35054380242_263c4980c6_h.jpg

35179977156_50b6984116_h.jpg

I know finnish football could be a little obscure to most people but I'd like to have some C&C on jersey designs themselves more than on the league itself and teams identity.

Just found this and I'm really liking it. As for C&C I'll start for the beginning.

HIFK: Both kits look good, only suggestions would be to change the sponsor on the home kit to white on a red background, and i would go back to white shorts at home.

HJK: Everything looks really good, however I would remove the sublimated stars on the clash.

IFK: Home kit looks really good, as for the clash I would change the sleeves from white to green, and maybe do the same to the socks.

FC Lahti: For the crest, I would add the mermaid and the lion and make it bigger on the jerseys. As for the kits, the home looks fantastic, but the color balancing om the clash feels off, but I'm not exactly sure how to fix it. Maybe switch the garnet and black on the jersey and add a black stripe on the shorts and change the socks to white.

Illves: Everything looks good, but I might remove the striping form the back of the clash kit.

Inter Turku: I like everthing. I'd try seeing how red strips down the side of the home kit and blue stripes down the side of the clash kit looks, but what you have now is good.

JJK: This may be my favorite so far. Only suggestion would be to move the gradient down some on the clash.

KuPS: Male the numbers not nearly as long. And maybe carry the gradient from the home kit over to the chest stripe and shorts of the clash.

The are just some suggestions. Everything looks really good and I'm loving it so far. Looking forward to more. Keep up the good work!

3 hours ago, atwarren44 said:

Just found this and I'm really liking it. As for C&C I'll start for the beginning.

HIFK: Both kits look good, only suggestions would be to change the sponsor on the home kit to white on a red background, and i would go back to white shorts at home.

HJK: Everything looks really good, however I would remove the sublimated stars on the clash.

IFK: Home kit looks really good, as for the clash I would change the sleeves from white to green, and maybe do the same to the socks.

FC Lahti: For the crest, I would add the mermaid and the lion and make it bigger on the jerseys. As for the kits, the home looks fantastic, but the color balancing om the clash feels off, but I'm not exactly sure how to fix it. Maybe switch the garnet and black on the jersey and add a black stripe on the shorts and change the socks to white.

Illves: Everything looks good, but I might remove the striping form the back of the clash kit.

Inter Turku: I like everthing. I'd try seeing how red strips down the side of the home kit and blue stripes down the side of the clash kit looks, but what you have now is good.

JJK: This may be my favorite so far. Only suggestion would be to move the gradient down some on the clash.

KuPS: Male the numbers not nearly as long. And maybe carry the gradient from the home kit over to the chest stripe and shorts of the clash.

The are just some suggestions. Everything looks really good and I'm loving it so far. Looking forward to more. Keep up the good work!

Thanks! I'll work on some of your advices. 

I feel that JJK may be a little too sparse right now, due to the lack of a sponsor. I'd either recommend a front number, or enlarging the badge and placing it on the chest (a la hockey) and put the Nike logo beneath the collar

That's what- She

Little updates!

I've tried to make the sleeves green and it looks pretty cool...

35222606746_773ab3e075_h.jpg

I've added a sponsor, the candy factory Panda well known for their liquorice candies. While I really like how it looks on the clash kit, the logo on the home jersey feels a bit off to me.

34875654890_72ea71b1f0_h.jpg

34875654850_3ee209421e_h.jpg

Let me know your comments (especially on JJK home)!

Archived