New York Town Ball

Big Yellow Flag

Ten teams under my belt here, I decided to branch out a little bit, and we're going to see some "company" teams as opposed to neighborhood teams for the next few jerseys, starting below.

We turn to the Department of Corrections first, playing as Rikers Island like the Theater District plays as Broadway. I remember a Sports Illustrated article from years ago about a jail in California that had a baseball team that allowed players to feel a little bit more normal for a lazy afternoon in the sun before returning to the monotony of prison life. In this fantasy world I'm creating, I'd like to imagine that the Rikers team would have players from both sides of the bars, allowing guards and prisoners to set aside their differences and just play ball together (not The Longest Yard style, either).

Rikers Island (Department of Corrections)

GpyvRf9.png

Logo and colors: Pretty self explanatory. Black and orange throughout, stencil style lettering. RI appears on the caps and serves as the team's logo.

Cap: I believe this is actually the first one color cap in the system after the Rye changes. It's orange, with R I in black.

Jersey: A solid orange jersey with black stenciling was kind of a no brainer here. Not a whole lot to say, honestly.

Pants: I tried orange, but it looked too jump suit-y. I tried pinstripes, but it looked weird, solid over pinstripes. In the end, they're wearing clean white pants with nice orange stripes down the sides. A black belt is held up by City loops, orange and blue, which will appear on all the company teams.

Socks: Plain orange.

Overall a nice and simple look for a team that would have no trouble whatsoever scheduling practices.

Up next will be Central Park (Department of Parks and Recreation). I'm doing my best to give company teams location names, to keep with the whole town ball and local pride idea.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Deletions? Expletives? Explanations? Et cetera?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Paul Lucas said:

Love the Riverdale one! You wanna hear something crazy/funny? My name is actually...Archie. ? And I'm a five-minute bus ride from Riverdale.

Real Riverdale is a lovely community, I'm lucky to have lived here since I was eight. It is also nothing like Archie's Riverdale (in the comics, and certainly not the show, thank G-d). But I refuse to believe your name is Archie, since it clearly says Paul.

Another concept coming up within the hour.

Turning from a department that keeps people in confinement in large buildings to a department that looks after the city's wide open spaces. I know I said Central Park, but I remembered that Central Park isn't technically a New York City park, it's run by the conservatory because the Parks Department wasn't doing a good job with it. With that in mind, I turned to my home borough and called them Van Cortland. I do too much introducing, let's just look at the baseball clothes.

Van Cortland

wTbSB71.png

Logo and colors: This was a literal no-brainer. The leaf in the circle is something that's kind of everywhere, from the huge parks to little islands on big streets. That was the obvious choice for a logo, and the green and white were unavoidable.

Cap: Green cap. White leaf. White brim. Not a lot of questions.

Jersey: Inspired by @SFGiants58's Project 32, specifically the road alternate on Boston's Version II, I took Van Cortland very, very old school, with V C on the chest in the style of some of the oldest baseball uniforms in the books. For a little natural twist, the C is enclosed within a green leaf, because I'm clearly a sucker for chest logos.

Pants: A green belt held up by City loops. In preparation for what comes below, I kept them clean and bare.

Socks: We're going Coney Island crazy here! Are they white with green stripes or green with white stripes? They're actually white with lots and lots of green stripes. I don't have any explanation as to why Van Cortland is wearing crazy socks except that I couldn't decide between white socks and green socks.

To make this concept the funniest thing you've ever seen, imagine Ron Swanson wearing it and trying to Encourage the pitcher, Worf-style. Why this is the imagery in my head, I don't know. It's hilarious.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Deletions? Expletives? Explanations? Et cetera?

A hint for the next squad: They get their kicks on Riverside Drive Route 66.

I'm not dead (yet)! Been having some laptop issues, but I am here with a team that's been done since Tuesday. This is the first one I'm posting that I'm really not sure about, to the point that it went two or three different directions while I was in the design process, so I'd very much appreciate some feedback here.

Two things that should jump out at the viewer immediately are the jersey color (it's gray!) and the lack of a neighborhood (see Rikers/Van Cortlamd), which will be unique among the company teams. You'll see why in just a second, because it's...

Department of Transportation (DOT)

g02zK0e.png

This set is as retro as this city's subway cars. I went back to the 80s Sox pool (and only remembered I'd done it before afterwards). The DOT logo is kind of weird (you can see part of it at the top right), just a DOT with lots of lines through it. Considering that this is the Department of Transportation, it made making them a travel team wearing gray made perfect sense to me. We've got a green cap with a white version of the T up top, followed by a pretty standard road pullover. The 4/5/6 Green stripes run down both sleeves and both legs for a pretty retro look.

The reason I'm really so unsure about this one is the chest. I hesitated to just do the T again on the chest, seeing that as boring and derivative and just-like-everything-else-in-this-series, but D O T was too big to fit across without messing with the buttons. Original versions had just the green D O T across the front, but I couldn't find a font for a number (our first chest number?) that worked, and the chest was boring, hence the stripe. I'm sort of second guessing, thinking it should maybe be white instead of green. I don't know.

What I'm most proud of here might be the socks, where (not too much explanation needed) the stripes (should) match the holes in the D O T letters.

No idea what's next. Life is about to get really busy (see my thread in the requests forum for more info), so we'll see. It's not over, I promise you that.

If you imagine the Rikers Island team as having an escape from prison life, it would make sense for their uniforms to look completely unlike prison uniforms. Maybe go with iconography associated with the general area?

rATMcmK.png

• 7 months later...

Hi! Remember me? I don't know how long I'll be back at this for, but the answer is at least one team, and I have ideas for two-three more. We'll see.

Below we have a look for one of the busiest and probably the most famous parts of Manhattan, Times Square. The Crossroads of the World, the Center of the Universe has a relatively tame look for what it is, but they're also the only team to have ovet two dozen mascots (and only half of them are unlicensed!), so that should make up for it a bit.

BOOGe8c.png

Logo and colors: The theater imagery belongs to Broadway/Theater District in this little universe of mine, but I felt Times Square deserved its own team. I stole the bubbly T from the Times Square Alliance, which takes square of Times Square, after originally dabbling with a New York Times-esque T to pay homage to the namesake. Pink and white come from the same place.

Cap: Pink crown. Color swapped T. White brim. They'll look a little bit like a tourist group (Hashtag DM does GB), but I think that's okay with where we are.

Jersey: Keeping it very simple, again, all white with the hot pink cuffs and an oversized chest logo. I like to imagine that the stadium pageantry for Times Square would be so over the top and ridiculous that they can afford to keep it simple.

Pants: A pink belt held up by Manhattan loops. I originally had the sock thing (See below) on the legs, but it looked really weird, so I nixed it.

Socks: Times Square has been the host to the New Year's Eve ball drop every year since 1907, and over one million people pack in to watch the big crystal ball descend and mark the beginning of another new year. I don't know why the hell anyone goes to that, it's loud and crowded and terrible, but I decided to memorialize it on the socks anyway. In a perfect world, just like Broadway has lots of fancy hats, Times Square changes their socks throughout the season, watching the ball drop down so that it's turning the upper edge white on Opening Day and disappearing into the cleats by the end of the season

Hope y'all enjoyed, glad to be back! More to come later/tomorrow/ Your hint for the next team is apples.

On 6/9/2017 at 11:49 AM, Whittier S said:

If you imagine the Rikers Island team as having an escape from prison life, it would make sense for their uniforms to look completely unlike prison uniforms. Maybe go with iconography associated with the general area?

I'm less than a year late, so it's okay. Rikers Island is really boring looking, so I gave the team a uniform they could call their own. The pants are white, at least, I'm sure that helps.

I press onwards. The next team is another company team, and... Well, they try their best. Our schools aren't the worst in the world, I'll say that much. Presenting to you, the New York City Department of Education, Doing Business As John Dewey (they have a gorgeous campus out in Gravesend, biggest in the system).

on7dqQO.png

Logo and colors: The colors come from the NYCDOE logo, which includes the weird NYC logo thing we have in green, orange, and blue. Since there are green apples, and there are orange apples. but there are no blue apples, I went with green and orange over green and blue (orange and blue still being verboten). The logo is, well, an apple (Courtesy of the heraldry app DrawShield). Big Apple, apple for the teacher, it all made sense. An early draft of this had stitches on the apple, but that seemed a bit too kitschy. 

Cap: Green crown, as green remains the primary color throughout (lot of company teams in green, I realize. DOT, P&R, DOE...). All orange apple logo over an orange brim. I know the apple got a little pixely, I'm sorry. Let's just pretend it isn't and move down to the jersey.

Jersey: My goal for this team was basically Baby's First Baseball Uniform. Very basic, traditional, clean, one size fits all. Apple logo appears on the left chest, with a uniform number on the other side (17 bears no special significance). Sleeves end with one orange and one green stripe (on each, none of this mismatching thing)

Pants: Orange belt to maintain some semblance of color balancing held up by City loops. Down the sides, one green stripe on each. Again, very simple and traditional. Nothing fancy (it costs too much. On a teacher's salary? Oy).

Socks: Going for the same motif throughout, green socks with an orange top. I don't know why, but the orange and green just weren't sitting right together on this one, so I threw on a little white stripe to separate them. The whole uniform is white, though, so it's kosher.

No hints to the next one, since I don't know who that'll be. But there will be a next one! Fingers crossed for some comments on this one.

Would love some comments, but nevertheless we press onwards, staying in Manhattan for... Hell's Kitchen.  

nr6g7pq.png

Logo and colors: I decided to brand Hell's Kitchen with, you know, a Hellish look. Red and gold throughout, fire, the whole nine yards. I went with (The) Kitchen over Hell's Kitchen because it fits better on the front of the jersey, and because it sounds cool. Logo is a K over a flame, with a bonus K-less flame for caps. Also, fun fact for any fellow heraldry fans, this entire design follows the Rule of Tincture, but that was unintentional.

Cap: Red crown, gold brim. The flame appears on the cap, K-less as mentioned.

Jersey: "Kitchen" with the Flame K to make it Hell's Kitchen across the chest. The sleeves bear the first appearance of the stripes which you'll see throughout, Red-Gold-Red. Red chest number, 41 because I typed 42 but remembered that that's an annoying no-no in baseball.

Pants: Red belt with orange and black Manhattan loops. The pants bear the same stripe as the sleeves, which we'll never see again on pants because dear L-rd curving those stripes took forever. Impossible. Seriously.

Socks: Red, featuring the flipped stripe, Gold-Red-Gold. Nice and simple.

Hoping for some comments on this one, fingers and toes crossed, but we'll see another team this weekend.

1 hour ago, Whittier S said:

You could do so much more with that wordmark.

I did consider going for a more flame-y font, as well as "flaming" more letters, but everything looked far too indoor minor league football for my tastes. I figured better to keep it simple, keep the flame on the K, and leave the front of the jersey clean and legible.

Archived