MLB Redesigns Series

MJD7

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, TheGoldenTriangle said:

It has to be blue, brown is way too boring. The fans would never let it slide. The Indians name is too classic to change. 

Brown is boring? Do you realize how teams in MLB currently wear blue?

19 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Nice job on the Spiders! I like the color scheme and the old timey arched wordmarks. However, I do feel you need some sort of spider imagery in there somewhere. Why not a spider sleeve patch? Another idea would be to create a "web" between the lines on the cap, surrounding the squatchee. It would be like a more menacing version of the Angels' cap halo. 

18 hours ago, H11K said:

I like cleveland, but why the spiders? It would look better if there were maybe an actual spider secondary or something IMO.

Here is a sample of the Spiders' home with the more "webbed" cap and a spider patch on the sleeve. Let me know if I should go through with this on the rest of the set.

593c08c010996_ClevelandSpidersHome.thumb.png.ec47e7ba682c5f5a2650c5a51d0375d3.png

I like the way the webs look, but the modern look of it might clash with the traditional look of the rest of the set, I'm not sure how I feel yet.

18 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I think I'd rather see this uniform with blue instead of brown. In no small part because Cleveland has had some sweet all blue roads in the past. 

1-gNQOpJr5-fm84FfjRcZOMg.jpeg

I admit I do really like the way that looks, but Cleveland is another team that I'd like to be able to avoid navy and red for.

Should I maybe make the road uniform brown though and ditch the dusty gray? I think I'd like how that would look

15 hours ago, coco1997 said:

How would the wordmark and number look in red on the road uni?

593c09ea43bb2_ClevelandSpidersAway.thumb.png.b2626449d871e0ab4e99ccedd9b36bc9.png

11 hours ago, TheGoldenTriangle said:

It has to be blue, brown is way too boring. The fans would never let it slide. The Indians name is too classic to change. 

Fan opinion and the tradition of the Indians name weren't really put into consideration while I was making this set. The point of the brown and red is to diversify MLB from the common navy and red, so this is just a concept that attempts to accomplish that.

Any other suggestions for Cleveland?

Definitely keep the red wordmarks and numbers on the road uni. It pops much better than the brown.

The cap "webbing" is pretty close to what I was picturing, except that I'd only keep the lines closest to the squatchee. Subtlety is the key.

Add the cap web to the whole set and straighten out the spider sleeve patch and you've got a great looking redesign! 

Honestly I'm not so sure I dig the whole "Spiders" moniker. For Cleveland, I've always imagined a team name that was tough, yet simple. I've always liked "Cleveland Animals" as a potential team. However, I do really love what you did with the jerseys for Cleveland. They keep to the classic feel, but have those unique aspects about it that I really dig.

On 6/10/2017 at 11:29 AM, coco1997 said:

Definitely keep the red wordmarks and numbers on the road uni. It pops much better than the brown.

The cap "webbing" is pretty close to what I was picturing, except that I'd only keep the lines closest to the squatchee. Subtlety is the key.

Add the cap web to the whole set and straighten out the spider sleeve patch and you've got a great looking redesign! 

Although I probably like the brown letters for the away more, this feels like a solid update!

593c6a70e8785_ClevelandSpidersHome.thumb.png.08726e828c0e8d128e3c8e278d75376f.png593c6a7f9e2d7_ClevelandSpidersAway.thumb.png.7c6ea4fe274e59acc764d11fa461f8ae.png593c6a87e1ce9_ClevelandSpidersAlternate1.thumb.png.b047f0db3e323967ec4457a82fe7b215.png593d716b7119b_ClevelandSpidersAlternate2.thumb.png.b464c4588ccad80eb7b6af973b2b18db.png593c6a97c48dd_ClevelandSpidersAwayAlternate.thumb.png.1d129baf9dbec3f37e2ae1522296721b.png

23 hours ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

Are you going in alphabetical order? Because I seriously can't wait to see what you do with Minnesota 

Yes, I am going alphabetical. I appreciate it, hopefully you'll like it, since Minnesota's my team!

18 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Honestly I'm not so sure I dig the whole "Spiders" moniker. For Cleveland, I've always imagined a team name that was tough, yet simple. I've always liked "Cleveland Animals" as a potential team. However, I do really love what you did with the jerseys for Cleveland. They keep to the classic feel, but have those unique aspects about it that I really dig.

I understand where you're coming from. Tough yet simple seems like an accurate description of what I ideally should go for. I think Spiders is an easier name to work with when having a modern, progressive brand, but I tried to make the most of what I could. I appreciate the kind words, by the way.

Colorado should be up tomorrow, but any more C+C in the meantime would be fantastic!

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

Bring on the Rox!

45 minutes ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

Can't wait for the Rockies. As a Vikings fan I feel purple is a grossly underused color in sports. I just pray you don't use too much black

I could not agree with you more. Hopefully no black at all is good with you, as here are the Rockies!

Logos

593d7206da23b_ColoradoRockiesLogos.thumb.png.ce504b0d337fbf6951c3394f8772ee1f.png

-Although the Rockies to me are in desperate need of a redesign, I feel as if they are a very difficult team to pinpoint what exactly to do with. I have yet to see a concept that I feel has completely hit the mark, although I love and acknowledge I can't compete with @thespungo's Rockies rebrand, which I think is fantastic and you should take a look at. That being said, this is just my shot in the dark as to what to do with them.

-The primary is a slight update to the current, as I feel that's all it really needs.

-I personally love the (underused) color scheme of purple and sky blue, and it makes sense for the Rockies with the purple representing "purple mountain majesty," and the blue naturally representing the Mile High sky.

-The custom font was chosen as one that resembles the shapes of the mountain logo and hopefully has a Colorado feel.

-The cap logo was more difficult to find a good orientation for, so if anyone has any advice for that it would be great.

Uniforms

593d744077a24_ColoradoRockiesHome.thumb.png.d02bf3904554cac07db0f52fc1163e75.png593d7447d41fb_ColoradoRockiesAway.thumb.png.afee4f33f76c36ba16e6b4915b53ef9d.png593d744eb8989_ColoradoRockiesAlternate1.thumb.png.ff624ca52c519ab09da900b4fc80137a.png593d7454c3dfa_ColoradoRockiesFridayAlt.thumb.png.a7a61c29a8758c1602a694c98a5b2cef.png

-I tried to find a way to buck the trend (that I admittedly helped contribute to) of placing the mountain on the sleeves, but I couldn't think of a way to do it. I wanted to avoid placing the small mountains along the sleeve like in my tweaks series, because now I think it looks too much like the Diamondbacks. I tried adding stripes and such, but none of it seemed to fit well for me. I love the topographic map pinstripes idea seen in Jesse Alkire's previously mentioned concept, but I don't have a way of portraying that well.

-The away is the sky blue color, and the alternate is given a cap with a sky blue brim. The socks are given the mountain logo on the sides.

-The number font matches the wordmarks, giving Colorado a unique look while still hopefully feeling traditional.

That's what I've got, any advice for how to improve this set would be greatly appreciated!

29 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

I could not agree with you more. Hopefully no black at all is good with you, as here are the Rockies!

Logos

593d7206da23b_ColoradoRockiesLogos.thumb.png.ce504b0d337fbf6951c3394f8772ee1f.png

-Although the Rockies to me are in desperate need of a redesign, I feel as if they are a very difficult team to pinpoint what exactly to do with. I have yet to see a concept that I feel has completely hit the mark, although I love and acknowledge I can't compete with @thespungo's Rockies rebrand, which I think is fantastic and you should take a look at. That being said, this is just my shot in the dark as to what to do with them.

-The primary is a slight update to the current, as I feel that's all it really needs.

-I personally love the (underused) color scheme of purple and sky blue, and it makes sense for the Rockies with the purple representing "purple mountain majesty," and the blue naturally representing the Mile High sky.

-The custom font was chosen as one that resembles the shapes of the mountain logo and hopefully has a Colorado feel.

-The cap logo was more difficult to find a good orientation for, so if anyone has any advice for that it would be great.

Uniforms

593d744077a24_ColoradoRockiesHome.thumb.png.d02bf3904554cac07db0f52fc1163e75.png593d7447d41fb_ColoradoRockiesAway.thumb.png.afee4f33f76c36ba16e6b4915b53ef9d.png593d744eb8989_ColoradoRockiesAlternate1.thumb.png.ff624ca52c519ab09da900b4fc80137a.png593d7454c3dfa_ColoradoRockiesFridayAlt.thumb.png.a7a61c29a8758c1602a694c98a5b2cef.png

-I tried to find a way to buck the trend (that I admittedly helped contribute to) of placing the mountain on the sleeves, but I couldn't think of a way to do it. I wanted to avoid placing the small mountains along the sleeve like in my tweaks series, because now I think it looks too much like the Diamondbacks. I tried adding stripes and such, but none of it seemed to fit well for me. I love the topographic map pinstripes idea seen in Jesse Alkire's previously mentioned concept, but I don't have a way of portraying that well.

-The away is the sky blue color, and the alternate is given a cap with a sky blue brim. The socks are given the mountain logo on the sides.

-The number font matches the wordmarks, giving Colorado a unique look while still hopefully feeling traditional.

That's what I've got, any advice for how to improve this set would be greatly appreciated!

Love it! How would a light purple look for an away design?

S8eR5Rf.png

Q2XFfoc.jpg

I really like this take on the Rockies. You're right--purple and powder blue is a beautiful color scheme and works really well for Colorado. It's funny how you said the Rockies are a team that desperately needs an overhaul, because IMO the brighter purple they started wearing this season is a huge improvement, so much so that they're no longer anywhere near the top of my "MLB team most in need of a redesign" list.

A few suggestions:

- Is it possible to connect the "C" and "R" in the logo?

- I'm not a big fan of the mountains on the socks, mostly because they're just kind of floating there.

- Others might feel differently, but I'd minimize the mountains on the sleeves just a bit.

- Is it possible to thicken up the back numbers? They look a little too thin as is.

8 hours ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

Love it! How would a light purple look for an away design?

Thank you! Here is a light purple away, although I actually have this type of look lined up for another team coming up soon..

593deac0ceb30_ColoradoRockiesAway2.thumb.png.47e3dea471d8cfe0817af90161871c16.png

7 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I really like this take on the Rockies. You're right--purple and powder blue is a beautiful color scheme and works really well for Colorado. It's funny how you said the Rockies are a team that desperately needs an overhaul, because IMO the brighter purple they started wearing this season is a huge improvement, so much so that they're no longer anywhere near the top of my "MLB team most in need of a redesign" list.

A few suggestions:

- Is it possible to connect the "C" and "R" in the logo?

- I'm not a big fan of the mountains on the socks, mostly because they're just kind of floating there.

- Others might feel differently, but I'd minimize the mountains on the sleeves just a bit.

- Is it possible to thicken up the back numbers? They look a little too thin as is.

Yea I agree, I absolutely love the change to the brighter purple, it is a massive improvement. I think it puts off their need to redesign for a little bit, but I still think the logos look slightly dated instead of classic.

I tried different ways to connect the CR, I never really liked any of them:

CR.thumb.png.cb9952e117cc938d67c15ffd023dea33.png

To accomplish the other two suggestions you made about the sleeves and socks, I tried a more abstract look for the mountains (that subtlety incorporates the Colorado flag striping of blue/white/blue, as inspired by @SFGiants58's Rockies set) that hopefully ties the set together a bit better as a whole. Is this a direction I should go in, everyone?

593dee2d978fa_ColoradoRockiesHome1.thumb.png.7c827ae0f4b4a3ced222bbcf51b90bc6.png

I don't know how to explain why, but I like the appeal of the thinner numbers, I think they're unique and match the wordmark well. If you guys want me to make them thicker, though, I can.

7 hours ago, Milkman14 said:

I love Colorado's color scheme but I just am not a fan of the mountain on the sleeves.  What if you took that boarder of the repeating mountain logo you've created for your presentation and used it as a sleeve stripe? 

Here's how it would look as a repeated pattern. It's probably at least a slight improvement, but it's hard to really incorporate anywhere else. I just want the mountains to feel large and grand, but it's difficult to do that without being overbearing, I guess.

593dee5142bdc_ColoradoRockiesHome2.thumb.png.fc0b330c264a17a6f82a600ea0944d00.png

I'd love to hear any other ideas anyone has!

28 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Thank you! Here is a light purple away, although I actually have this type of look lined up for another team coming up soon..

593deac0ceb30_ColoradoRockiesAway2.thumb.png.47e3dea471d8cfe0817af90161871c16.png

Yea I agree, I absolutely love the change to the brighter purple, it is a massive improvement. I think it puts off their need to redesign for a little bit, but I still think the logos look slightly dated instead of classic.

I tried different ways to connect the CR, I never really liked any of them:

CR.thumb.png.cb9952e117cc938d67c15ffd023dea33.png

To accomplish the other two suggestions you made about the sleeves and socks, I tried a more abstract look for the mountains (that subtlety incorporates the Colorado flag striping of blue/white/blue, as inspired by @SFGiants58's Rockies set) that hopefully ties the set together a bit better as a whole. Is this a direction I should go in, everyone?

593dee2d978fa_ColoradoRockiesHome1.thumb.png.7c827ae0f4b4a3ced222bbcf51b90bc6.png

I don't know how to explain why, but I like the appeal of the thinner numbers, I think they're unique and match the wordmark well. If you guys want me to make them thicker, though, I can.

Here's how it would look as a repeated pattern. It's probably at least a slight improvement, but it's hard to really incorporate anywhere else. I just want the mountains to feel large and grand, but it's difficult to do that without being overbearing, I guess.

593dee5142bdc_ColoradoRockiesHome2.thumb.png.fc0b330c264a17a6f82a600ea0944d00.png

I'd love to hear any other ideas anyone has!

I really like those first two uniforms. I've always preferred a light version of main colors versus a solid away look for teams that choose not to have gray. The smaller mountains on the second jerseys sleeves is a great look. The big mountains made it too busy

S8eR5Rf.png

Q2XFfoc.jpg

14 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I like the more subtle mountain design on the sleeves, just not on the pants. 

3 hours ago, Paul Lucas said:

this + light purple road = ??????

(How about thicker numbers?...at least on the back)

Alright here's an updated set with the more abstract mountains and thicker numbers. I'd like to keep the mountains on the pants, just because it's so subtle it'd be barely noticed.

593ed3d595144_ColoradoRockiesHome.thumb.png.e02a2fc53a0a1060e4d631f171cc7fd1.png

A couple different options for the away:

593ed3dd27c85_ColoradoRockiesAway1.thumb.png.3443c78ed570b468260c0df7ad24c2ca.png593ed49b4c0b3_ColoradoRockiesAway2.thumb.png.c5d42786d012bd3ddc7054317e27b548.png

593ed3ec8f6d0_ColoradoRockiesAway3.thumb.png.ec792e1a80d97e3d7d51ce030d490f11.png

And then the alternate

593ed468c3d63_ColoradoRockiesAlternate1.thumb.png.a137ee9c4e0493965150ec01fec282b5.png

Let me know what you think.

Archived