MJD7

MLB Redesigns Series (Final Updates: NL West)

Recommended Posts

MJD7    876
7 hours ago, willmoen said:

The Mariners look stunning. I agree with the idea of using two shades of teal. It really does give that Oceanic feel which really suits them and the area. Can't wait to see the last 5 teams in this series.

 

6 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I'm surprised by how much I like that dark teal road set!

 

This is a stray observation, and you might not even care, but I noticed almost all of the AL West primary logos are roundels. Was that intentional or just coincidence? 

 

EDIT: Could we see the home alt with a white wordmark on the front?

Thanks!

 

And I actually noticed the same exact thing when I added the Mariners logo. It is completely by chance, though most of the AL West primaries are already like that. I might try to change a couple just to switch it up, since I'm sort of indifferent to the use of roundels.

 

Here's a white wordmark version of the teal alt:

5987bc0b1ff24_SeattleMarinersAlternate2.thumb.png.2ff1ef02ac2787d1826abf89692fc7d0.png

 

Anyone else on the Mariners, or any of the other sets so far?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MJD7    876

Quick update to Seattle before St. Louis comes later today:

5989e3f63b3b7_SeattleMarinersLogos.thumb.png.f4a7af7736aa888d1f6a7dfaa7b3d7a6.png5989e4fa528d7_SeattleMarinersHome.thumb.png.da7037f09966ea97a4e33c9e57afbd40.png5989e5063fa21_SeattleMarinersAway.thumb.png.f7731c3a0636833749d3f472f6d53260.png5989e510d0e21_SeattleMarinersAlternate1.thumb.png.153a2926f6ce97289a6ceb823bc23efc.png5989e51ab0980_SeattleMarinersFridayAlt.thumb.png.c0d1d9451d6c62c019ad1c86434b9de1.png

-I flipped the color distribution on the dark teal backgrounds, as it's easier to read. I kept the dark teal wordmarks for the light teal backgrounds though, as white seemed too bright to me.

 

The Cardinals will be up in a little bit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
coco1997    1,015

This is a good update. The white script stands out more on the dark teal uni than the lighter teal does. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MJD7    876

Alright, here are the St. Louis Cardinals!

 

Logos

598a22261d3db_St.LouisCardinalsLogos.thumb.png.3a532ed33781eb245b5a3ee864e1440c.png

-I'm thankful I ended up changing the color scheme of the final team in the NL East (yes, it's Washington) or else I would have ended up with what surely would have been my least favorite change in the entire series. The Cardinals belong in red & navy, there's really no way around it.

-That color change for the Cards was not without reason, however, as it was inspired by the female northern cardinal (see the difference here.) So, to keep some remnants of that look I kept it as the primary away color.

 

Uniforms

598a243b12eb2_St.LouisCardinalsHome.thumb.png.a1f669891c296fd6266f2149cbf8abec.png598a2446e2942_St.LouisCardinalsAway.thumb.png.cd6ee9131ba22d6969458f46578a4478.png598a245287dff_St.LouisCardinalsAlternate1.thumb.png.2f3bb802fe33d7fe94271113fd849540.png598a245f2dc65_St.LouisCardinalsAwayAlternate.thumb.png.952c4cd0c458210bf5e27f824b1ff9d9.png

-Once again I kept the Cardinals classic look basically the same, save for the away uniform color. I also added a red alternate that takes most of its inspiration from the spring training jersey of Ozzie Smith's era. The striping was adjusted to match the socks, however. I was thinking about adding a navy version as well, since now they're the only team that has this scheme. Let me know if I should.

-A navy cap with a red brim is added as a sort of "clash" set on the road for whenever the Redbirds face a team such as Cincinnati.

 

And with that, the Cardinals conclude the NL Central. I'd love to see what you all think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
coco1997    1,015

This may sound blasphemous, but what about changing the color of the baseball bat on the home uniform to that taupe-y road color? That way, the color ties into both the home and road uniform. (It's also closer to an actual bat's color than yellow.) On the away you could then make the bat navy which is what the Cardinals had up until 1951. To eliminate yellow entirely, you could make the beaks of the birds red, which is what actual cardinals have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I'd like to see the red and tan scheme revisited. I think your mistake there was trying to reduce the team to those two colors (plus yellow), which forced you to change the color of the bird away from red, and the red outlines disappear on the red uniform in that set (though your current alternate would eliminate that problem). If you use the tan instead of yellow and re-introduce navy as an outline color, you could still make tan and red the dominant colors while still giving them a unique color scheme. If nothing else, think of it as a kind of "alternate take." The concept you presented was excellent, of course; I'd just like to see something a little different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MJD7    876
1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

This may sound blasphemous, but what about changing the color of the baseball bat on the home uniform to that taupe-y road color? That way, the color ties into both the home and road uniform. (It's also closer to an actual bat's color than yellow.) On the away you could then make the bat navy which is what the Cardinals had up until 1951. To eliminate yellow entirely, you could make the beaks of the birds red, which is what actual cardinals have. 

 

39 minutes ago, ItDoesntMatter said:

Personally, I'd like to see the red and tan scheme revisited. I think your mistake there was trying to reduce the team to those two colors (plus yellow), which forced you to change the color of the bird away from red, and the red outlines disappear on the red uniform in that set (though your current alternate would eliminate that problem). If you use the tan instead of yellow and re-introduce navy as an outline color, you could still make tan and red the dominant colors while still giving them a unique color scheme. If nothing else, think of it as a kind of "alternate take." The concept you presented was excellent, of course; I'd just like to see something a little different.

Thank you both, those were some very nice assessments of the set if I say so myself. I actually originally had the bat tan, I don't really remember what caused me to go back to yellow. Here is a set that incorporates what both of you suggested, and as much as I tend to miss the yellow, this probably makes more logical sense. I also brightened up the red just a little bit for more "pop" and decided to greenlight the navy alternate. I kept the bat on the away the tan color for now, just because I didn't like how the claws disappeared into the navy.

598a44988c90a_St.LouisCardinalsLogos.thumb.png.73649a02a969cb6737bf6c0099d66b79.png598a449fd8278_St.LouisCardinalsHome.thumb.png.4b0a9b2751a0332f182a62273881418a.png598a44ef27f73_St.LouisCardinalsAway.thumb.png.e82ad0957e6390f1d31e83bf3d1932be.png598a44b571ebd_St.LouisCardinalsAlternate1.thumb.png.05279e0f4d41d54b3b70efffe2bb236e.png598a44bf9674a_St.LouisCardinalsAlternate2.thumb.png.3eb37b3e1ca486f981a7776fcd7c7d40.png598a44fb8206b_St.LouisCardinalsAwayAlternate.thumb.png.9cd50b09cce65bbe780cc96c9f023216.png

 

Thanks for the advice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silver_Star    146
3 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

 

Thank you both, those were some very nice assessments of the set if I say so myself. I actually originally had the bat tan, I don't really remember what caused me to go back to yellow. Here is a set that incorporates what both of you suggested, and as much as I tend to miss the yellow, this probably makes more logical sense. I also brightened up the red just a little bit for more "pop" and decided to greenlight the navy alternate. I kept the bat on the away the tan color for now, just because I didn't like how the claws disappeared into the navy.

598a44988c90a_St.LouisCardinalsLogos.thumb.png.73649a02a969cb6737bf6c0099d66b79.png598a449fd8278_St.LouisCardinalsHome.thumb.png.4b0a9b2751a0332f182a62273881418a.png598a44ef27f73_St.LouisCardinalsAway.thumb.png.e82ad0957e6390f1d31e83bf3d1932be.png598a44b571ebd_St.LouisCardinalsAlternate1.thumb.png.05279e0f4d41d54b3b70efffe2bb236e.png598a44bf9674a_St.LouisCardinalsAlternate2.thumb.png.3eb37b3e1ca486f981a7776fcd7c7d40.png598a44fb8206b_St.LouisCardinalsAwayAlternate.thumb.png.9cd50b09cce65bbe780cc96c9f023216.png

 

Thanks for the advice!

 

I like what you did for the St. Louis Cardinals uniforms. Very sweet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
coco1997    1,015

I like the tweaks, however, I don't like the tan bat against the tan jersey. Sadly I don't how to get around the problem of the bird feet disappearing into the bat if you made the bat navy.

 

I'd also like to see how the navy alt would look with the road pants, as darker colored alts tend to be worn on the road. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

I like the tweaks, however, I don't like the tan bat against the tan jersey. Sadly I don't how to get around the problem of the bird feet disappearing into the bat if you made the bat navy.

 

I'd also like to see how the navy alt would look with the road pants, as darker colored alts tend to be worn on the road. 

Maybe make the bat white on the road?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
coco1997    1,015
Just now, ItDoesntMatter said:

Maybe make the bat white on the road?

 

Yep, this looks like the only option. It's not ideal, but it's probably better than the current look. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
coco1997    1,015
3 minutes ago, ItDoesntMatter said:

Maybe make the bat white on the road?

 

Actually, what about making the feet white and the bat navy? Or keep the feet navy, but add a white outline around the bat that follows the outline of the feet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MJD7    876
4 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I like the tweaks, however, I don't like the tan bat against the tan jersey. Sadly I don't how to get around the problem of the bird feet disappearing into the bat if you made the bat navy.

 

I'd also like to see how the navy alt would look with the road pants, as darker colored alts tend to be worn on the road. 

 

Actually, what about making the feet white and the bat navy? Or keep the feet navy, but add a white outline around the bat that follows the outline of the feet?

 

3 hours ago, ItDoesntMatter said:

Maybe make the bat white on the road?

Here are some options, plus the navy alt.

598a83a3ef0e7_St.LouisCardinalsAway.thumb.png.01031545cd81ee59c7c90f3fa9387c04.png598a83af98bf7_St.LouisCardinalsAway2.thumb.png.faea4b6f378385b9e799f7bfa872bed7.png598a83bde175d_St.LouisCardinalsAway3.thumb.png.cb9239288f61099e57d0a03d931ed663.png598a83c9730a4_St.LouisCardinalsAlternate2.thumb.png.d391f77eda24cce3368dba2f7b8901c0.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
coco1997    1,015

The navy bat is definitely the way to go. What is the difference between the two options using the navy bat, though? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MJD7    876
17 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

The navy bat is definitely the way to go. What is the difference between the two options using the navy bat, though? 

One is white feet, the other is a tan border around navy feet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
coco1997    1,015
4 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

One is white feet, the other is a tan border around navy feet.

 

Ah, gotcha. I think I'd go with the white feet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cardsblues02    48

Im sorry, the Cardinals look is classic. Just not a fan of the alternates. The home and road unis sre nice though. I miss the yellow bat though. And the hat with the bird on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MJD7    876
2 hours ago, Cardsblues02 said:

Im sorry, the Cardinals look is classic. Just not a fan of the alternates. The home and road unis sre nice though. I miss the yellow bat though. And the hat with the bird on it.

Trust me, I acknowledged just as much in the original post! I love the Cardinals look, it's probably my favorite in the entire league. This just gave me the chance to experiment out of the box just a little and to try something new.

 

With that said here is an update for the Cardinals' aways.

598b4c195ba7c_St.LouisCardinalsAway2.thumb.png.d4f81395a9dc424e9bd0631dd87ac1e7.png598b4c269204a_St.LouisCardinalsAwayAlternate.thumb.png.92865be74a30c8afab395140571ed433.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MJD7    876
21 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Good work. Looking forward to Tampa Bay! Should be an interesting one. 

Indeed it shall. Here are the Tampa Bay Rays!

 

Logos

598c7d11ec8ff_TampaBayRaysLogos.thumb.png.86af9772b5b73b6a37e60938ba26f6c3.png

-This identity is probably the one that went through the longest process to make. I've always loved the Daytona Tortugas identity though, so everything always centered around making something based off of that. Eventually I was able to make a "TB" monogram based off the Tortugas' logo, and I went from there.

-The rays go full on back to the "stingray" aspect of their identity, as I was never really keen on the ray of light.

-I used the Tortugas' shades of dark green and powder blue; as highly used as it is it's really a perfect scheme for the Rays. I love double blue, but I just think this fits better.

-The ray travels underneath the wordmark much like the early 2000's logos.

 

Uniforms

598c7d1ba121b_TampaBayRaysHome.thumb.png.f47f5bef19607931e91256d6b732eab6.png598c7d264d296_TampaBayRaysAway.thumb.png.0a5fd17e1f3d0b2f9dfb8b0ca58b44d1.png598c7d313c5a6_TampaBayRaysAlternate1.thumb.png.be56ee733c2c1de3bd0cc241ca27b437.png598c7d3b5e181_TampaBayRaysAlternate2.thumb.png.919258501621677dbd298691e1043aac.png

-The home uniform is primarily powder as inspired by UNC, I love that look and feel like it could work great for Tampa Bay.

-The new sleeve stripe pattern was made as a match to the Rays' common sock pattern. It might be hard to see the match at first, but trust me it's there.

-The away is an entirely powder look. The number font was created as a match to the sort of "islander" wordmarks.

-I showed the light blue as a home option just because I love that look, and could see them wearing it often.

-The green alternate uses the TB monogram seen on the caps and as the primary.

 

I'd love to hear what you all think about the Rays!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now