MLB Redesigns Series

MJD7

Wow, great job! I really love the new wordmarks. Seeing the evolution of your design process, I do like the third one down that uses lime green, as it's a shade that would be unique amongst the rest of the league. I'd love to see a full set that utilizes that color to compare. 

I think the dark green alt would look better if you dropped the front numbers. 

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that the green alt would look cleaner without the numbers on the front.

I'm a big fan of both the sting ray logo and the double blue, but I wouldn't mind a return to green. It's certainly an underused color in sports, especially baseball.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

5 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Wow, great job! I really love the new wordmarks. Seeing the evolution of your design process, I do like the third one down that uses lime green, as it's a shade that would be unique amongst the rest of the league. I'd love to see a full set that utilizes that color to compare. 

I think the dark green alt would look better if you dropped the front numbers. 

1 hour ago, Matito said:

I agree that the green alt would look cleaner without the numbers on the front.

I'm a big fan of both the sting ray logo and the double blue, but I wouldn't mind a return to green. It's certainly an underused color in sports, especially baseball.

Thank you both! Here is a version of the set that incorporates the lime green (much like another team I know that should have done the same, haha.) I also removed the front number from the green alt.

598cd2da44162_TampaBayRaysLogos.thumb.png.20382e552a5e2daac6661a3c7ea57cd7.png598cd243dfbe8_TampaBayRaysHome.thumb.png.2472771d11d404ed9583d9ca4a8747d4.png598cd29d7533a_TampaBayRaysAway.thumb.png.851d65d93c8b54712be03c4d0877b8a7.png598cd2a94d905_TampaBayRaysAlternate1.thumb.png.c4eb2b5048af4e24ae1f7b9ec6f9ffe5.png598cd2b39b79c_TampaBayRaysAlternate2.thumb.png.4486023cf1005a3f5e628ac17602fe79.png

Any other comments on the Rays would be much appreciated.

4 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I love the Rays look. The retro font is fantastic for that club. Even the lighter shade of green thrown just adds to it. I wouldn't change a stitch. 

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it.

22 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Looks pretty good! The only spot where I'm not sure it's totally successful is against the powder blue background because it makes the wordmark look like it's glowing. 

Here's a version that keeps the dark green wordmarks, which might calm it down a bit.

598e1378b2bfb_TampaBayRaysAway.thumb.png.089c3898d1173a51d1fa81bef241aef6.png598e138355c5a_TampaBayRaysAlternate1.thumb.png.b951627ce95ed812c5febc0364e4816f.png

I like what you've done with the Rays! The dark green wordmark really improved the powder blue uniform, and I enjoy what you've done with the color balance of dark green/light blue/lime green. The font engineering in particular is stunning, as it's always tough to create new letters for a limited letter set. Good work!

On 7/22/2017 at 9:31 AM, MJD7 said:

-The sock pattern features 27 white stripes for obvious reasons, which is an idea from Jesse Alkire's site which I've often referenced.

I'd assume these would get updated when the Yanks win another World Series? Problem is that eventually, the stripes would become so thin to have a muddled appearance. I don't mind when teams incorporate the number of championships on their uniforms somehow, but I dunno if I'm a fan of doing it via sock stripes.

4 hours ago, coco1997 said:

The dark green wordmarks on the road jersey work better than the white does, and the "glow" is no longer an issue.

Let's see the Rangers!

4 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I like what you've done with the Rays! The dark green wordmark really improved the powder blue uniform, and I enjoy what you've done with the color balance of dark green/light blue/lime green. The font engineering in particular is stunning, as it's always tough to create new letters for a limited letter set. Good work!

Thank you so much!

I'm really interested to see how this goes... as Texas goes full-on with the ranger theme. Here they are!

Logos

598f3c82db47f_TexasRangersLogos.thumb.png.76285f3d174d672b810ad53cdb622dff.png

-Yes I know, this is a bold, unprecedented color scheme for the Rangers, but it was hard not to notice it everywhere I looked when researching the Texas Ranger Division of which the ballclub gets its namesake. The only real uniform requirements of this law enforcement division are clothes that are "western in nature," so I tried to embrace that in the identity. The color scheme, Texas Longhorn orange and forest green, feels very western/autumnal, and reminds me of the 2011 World Series logo.

-The primary stays as the same badge logo besides the recolor. In a last second move, I removed the drop shadow from the cap logos, thanks in large part to @SFGiants58's outstanding set, and it's something that I think really improves this look.

-The home becomes an off-white and the away retains the dust/sandy color of my tweaks series, and now those two colors are used as accents throughout the rest of the set. 

Uniforms

598f433a8f726_TexasRangersHome.thumb.png.8bddbca6d0b90f9caeb7006ecd4d328b.png598f434651d6d_TexasRangersAway.thumb.png.89bca0cf618b34415e38fd34a476baa0.png598f4352683fc_TexasRangersHomeAlternate.thumb.png.4aae493edb716b8fce085bc8560a5899.png598f435eb57f9_TexasRangersAwayAlternate.thumb.png.aad9480d6017758a2b7ee923c1a44a1f.png598f436a6b78d_TexasRangersAlternate2.thumb.png.f5afdc53d7c9ea00c2a1f3c9f00aca3b.png

-The main description of a typical Texas Ranger uniform is that it normally consists of a "white shirt and tie, khaki/tan or gray trousers, light-colored western hat, "ranger" belt, and cowboy boots." I tried to fit as many of those elements as I could into the baseball team's regular uniform.

-One of the first elements I put in was the thick line around the base of the crown, which is seen on practically every cowboy/ranger hat imaginable. I then transferred that solid single stripe idea throughout the rest of the set, to create a cohesive look.

-I decided to make the entire Rangers set a sleeveless look, as it's an element that I thought fit well and allowed for orange to be embraced more as the primary color. The large orange sash along the belt loop is meant to evoke the "ranger" belts that are quite noticeable.

-The sock pattern is based off of a common cowboy boot, and it also evokes the Texas flag in its design. I decided to keep the badge that says "Rangers" on all the jerseys, so that having "Texas" as the main wordmark makes a little more sense.

-I also decided to go to a single color NOB for better readability.

-I added off-white and dust/sand caps as well, to imitate the commonly lighter colors of typical ranger hats.

I know this is a really unique and possibly questionable look, but it's something I tried to get creative with and incorporate some ranger themes into the identity. I'm curious to hear what you all think!

Wow! There's a lot to take in here. This is certainly the most unique take I've seen on the Rangers on these forums. 

First off, I really do love the color scheme. It looks especially great on the logos. In general, I think there might be a little too much going on here, though. I'm not a fan of the orange vest on orange undershirt look because I think it's pointless when vests and undershirts are the same color (I'm looking at you, Colorado). Would having three different-colored undershirts be too much? That way you could pair a white one with the home alt and a khaki one with the road alt. I'd also change the solid-colored striping on the vests or drop it entirely. Lastly, I have to wonder if having the stripe on the cap's crown in addition to the sash around the belt (as well as the badge on the vest, though that's something you must keep) might be one "eccentricity" too many for one team. 

All in all I think this Rangers set has a ton of potential, and with a few minor tweaks it could something really special!

While I like what you've done here (and thanks for the shoutout), I think you could refine it a tiny bit more. I suggest using green undershirts with the orange alternate for more contrast, and a green cap somewhere wouldn't be a bad idea. I agree with Coco that the sash should be either on the caps of belt tunnels/loops, not both. My preference would be to keep that hat sash, if only because of the 1969 Pilots' precedence. If you want to get the idea of "Ranger Pants" across, might I suggest a logo at the top of the pants (like the Cubs do on their road uniforms)?

You've got a lot of good stuff here, and it's only a few tweaks away from being one of my favorite Rangers concepts I've seen here. Good work!

18 hours ago, Quillz said:

I'd assume these would get updated when the Yanks win another World Series? Problem is that eventually, the stripes would become so thin to have a muddled appearance. I don't mind when teams incorporate the number of championships on their uniforms somehow, but I dunno if I'm a fan of doing it via sock stripes.

Yea you're probably right, they honestly already do sort of have that muddled appearance from a distance. It was an interesting idea for me to try out, but it was probably something that's sort of contrived and will be left off come the final update.

15 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Wow! There's a lot to take in here. This is certainly the most unique take I've seen on the Rangers on these forums. 

First off, I really do love the color scheme. It looks especially great on the logos. In general, I think there might be a little too much going on here, though. I'm not a fan of the orange vest on orange undershirt look because I think it's pointless when vests and undershirts are the same color (I'm looking at you, Colorado). Would having three different-colored undershirts be too much? That way you could pair a white one with the home alt and a khaki one with the road alt. I'd also change the solid-colored striping on the vests or drop it entirely. Lastly, I have to wonder if having the stripe on the cap's crown in addition to the sash around the belt (as well as the badge on the vest, though that's something you must keep) might be one "eccentricity" too many for one team. 

All in all I think this Rangers set has a ton of potential, and with a few minor tweaks it could something really special!

9 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

While I like what you've done here (and thanks for the shoutout), I think you could refine it a tiny bit more. I suggest using green undershirts with the orange alternate for more contrast, and a green cap somewhere wouldn't be a bad idea. I agree with Coco that the sash should be either on the caps of belt tunnels/loops, not both. My preference would be to keep that hat sash, if only because of the 1969 Pilots' precedence. If you want to get the idea of "Ranger Pants" across, might I suggest a logo at the top of the pants (like the Cubs do on their road uniforms)?

You've got a lot of good stuff here, and it's only a few tweaks away from being one of my favorite Rangers concepts I've seen here. Good work!

Thank you both for the advice! You seem to have very similar sentiments as far as what to do with the Rangers.

One of the first things I did (since I agree with the pointlessness of same colored vests/undershirts) was make the orange jersey sleeved, since I'd like to keep that as the unquestionable primary color (you'll see why in the final update.) This was the same reason I decided to wait before adding more green. I think white or khaki vests would look good, but I imagine the white at least would be illegal (since no white undershirts are allowed for pitchers.) I think I'd like to keep the solid-colored striping for now, since it makes the hat look less out of place.

59904581ee207_TexasRangersHomeAlternate.thumb.png.7b14ff7e59bcb3131c8a0b493a0c1b8a.png5990458d50a7a_TexasRangersAwayAlternate.thumb.png.9d5f01030f8e332040cddb07d677453c.png

Both of you agreed on both the hat and the sash combo being too much, so I decided one should go. I also preferred keeping the cap due to the history, and it was also the first thing I started with in making this. To make the belt unique though, I was thinking I could maybe do something in the vain of a belt loop like either the Braves or the Tigers? Both would offer something unique to most of the league but likely too subtle for most people to notice. Adding a logo to the pants is also an option, I just don't know what logo I would add.

Thank you both again for the suggestions, does anyone else have any opinions as well? This should be a fun one to keep revising.

16 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

One of the first things I did (since I agree with the pointlessness of same colored vests/undershirts) was make the orange jersey sleeved, since I'd like to keep that as the unquestionable primary color (you'll see why in the final update.) This was the same reason I decided to wait before adding more green. I think white or khaki vests would look good, but I imagine the white at least would be illegal (since no white undershirts are allowed for pitchers.) I think I'd like to keep the solid-colored striping for now, since it makes the hat look less out of place.

Both of you agreed on both the hat and the sash combo being too much, so I decided one should go. I also preferred keeping the cap due to the history, and it was also the first thing I started with in making this. To make the belt unique though, I was thinking I could maybe do something in the vain of a belt loop like either the Braves or the Tigers? Both would offer something unique to most of the league but likely too subtle for most people to notice. Adding a logo to the pants is also an option, I just don't know what logo I would add.

Thank you both again for the suggestions, does anyone else have any opinions as well? This should be a fun one to keep revising.

The solid orange jerseys look great. Are you going to keep the vests for the rest of the set?

I wouldn't mind seeing the belt loop design just to see how it looks. And as for a logo on the pants, how about just the "T" logo?

On 8/13/2017 at 9:06 AM, coco1997 said:

The solid orange jerseys look great. Are you going to keep the vests for the rest of the set?

I wouldn't mind seeing the belt loop design just to see how it looks. And as for a logo on the pants, how about just the "T" logo?

I'd like to keep the vests otherwise, and have it be a set like the Pirates. It just fits, to me at least.

Here's the whole set with the belt loop tried out, though I'd like to do either that or the logo, not both. Credit to @Carolingian Steamroller for the belt loop from his Tigers set.

599087419d0ad_TexasRangersHome.thumb.png.d8fa510ad5b79cb077f496e61be718a6.png5990874dbda34_TexasRangersAway.thumb.png.f49e6177fb2dbf8532152ca4f7578116.png5991abc2c4916_TexasRangersHomeAlternate.thumb.png.f3323e7cd9064479f8eea0dc7a28b048.png5991abd020dc9_TexasRangersAwayAlternate.thumb.png.1a3057b2ddffdc72c108f7938ec5d6e5.png

599087730344a_TexasRangersAlternate2.thumb.png.ded7a657705681f7d1ce12e11f0d83bd.png

14 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

Superb update! My only minor suggestion would be to make the trim on the green vest cream instead of white so it doesn't clash with the pants. 

I believe the trim is cream, it's just hard to tell when it's surrounded by dark colors.

Anyone else on the Rangers? Barring any objections, Toronto should be tomorrow!

I like the Tigers-style belt loops, and the non-vest orange alternate! It's a good way to keep the spirit of the idea intact, without being silly. My only complaint here would be to make the green NOB white, so that it shows up better on the dark orange background.

I look forward to seeing your Blue Jays.

Archived