MLB Redesigns Series

MJD7

Yeah, I'm not sold on the Beavers. While the name has a lot of history in the region (I should know, I did my undergrad there), I kind of have a hard time not seeing the word "beaver" as an immature euphemism for "vagina." It doesn't pass the "Will a 12 year old snicker at it?" test. I still like the patterned trim and the modified number font, however.

Second, the FSU color scheme is kind of dull. That red/green/brown color scheme you modeled with the Pioneers was much better, as was the simpler red/green of the test. It's needs green somewhere (as it really fits the region, and red/green has more of an old-timey look to it than FSU colors). 

I really like what you did with the "Pioneers" identity. I'd rather you go with that than retreading a minor-league identity with minimal modifications (one of my biggest pet peeves for "expansion" concepts). You could have dumped the flags from the cap logos, and that alone would have been a big improvement. However, the big point against it is that there's already a Pioneers team in the region - the Lewis & Clark Pioneers (I'm an alumnus).

If you want a solid solution, use the colors and fonts from the Pioneers' identity. Just swap out mentions of "Pioneers" for "Beavers" (you can keep the beaver logo, as it's major-league quality - unlike the MS Word "Beavers" scripts), and you'd be set!

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Second, the FSU color scheme is kind of dull. That red/green/brown color scheme you modeled with the Pioneers was much better, as was the simpler red/green of the test. It's needs green somewhere (as it really fits the region, and red/green has more of an old-timey look to it than FSU colors). 

The problem with using red & green is that it violates the "unique color scheme for each team" rule established at the start of the series, since the Red Sox already claim the red & green combo. 

2 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

The problem with using red & green is that it violates the "unique color scheme for each team" rule established at the start of the series, since the Red Sox already claim the red & green combo. 

It doesn't have to be the exact same shades, and adding brown into the mix makes it different enough.

2 hours ago, MJD7 said:

That was the main reason why I proposed the alternate without any white, to better match with the socks. I don't know how much adding white to the socks would help though, since it would be the only white if paired with a combo of say (hat/jersey/pants) yellow/black/black.

Not sure why a team can have that many options for jerseys, pants, and caps, but can't have a third pair of socks.. Not to mention, you only have the yellow socks paired with the yellow jerseys in any of your mockups, so assuming that's pretty much the standard, it would make sense that the two items designed to be worn primarily with each other would match

47 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Yeah, I'm not sold on the Beavers. While the name has a lot of history in the region (I should know, I did my undergrad there), I kind of have a hard time not seeing the word "beaver" as an immature euphemism for "vagina." It doesn't pass the "Will a 12 year old snicker at it?" test. I still like the patterned trim and the modified number font, however.

I really like what you did with the "Pioneers" identity. I'd rather you go with that than retreading a minor-league identity with minimal modifications (one of my biggest pet peeves for "expansion" concepts). You could have dumped the flags from the cap logos, and that alone would have been a big improvement. However, the big point against it is that there's already a Pioneers team in the region - the Lewis & Clark Pioneers (I'm an alumnus).

If you want a solid solution, use the colors and fonts from the Pioneers' identity. Just swap out mentions of "Pioneers" for "Beavers" (you can keep the beaver logo, as it's major-league quality - unlike the MS Word "Beavers" scripts), and you'd be set!

Huh. Well, I can honestly say I've never heard of that one before, I thought the biggest complaint about this one would be that the mascot was too cartoony, haha.

I can understand what you say about the color scheme, for sure. I honestly wanted to incorporate red and green from the start, and it really came down to that and the FSU colors in the end. I'll work on another set that incorporates some green into the scheme.

The only reasons I like to go with Minor League teams for expansion is because you said there is already established history that can be expanded upon, which is something I tried to take advantage of when choosing my teams. I also don't have great compatibility to make my own logos from scratch, so I try to work with what I have.

I'll start working on a Beavers identity that uses more of the Pioneers elements! The irony is though that those Pioneers scripts were actually made in MS Word, so I'd probably prefer to keep the "Beavers" scripts, haha.

19 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

16 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

It doesn't have to be the exact same shades, and adding brown into the mix makes it different enough.

I think a dark red and a light green could work as an inverse of the Red Sox, sort of like what I almost went with before. The shade of green I left off with was a little too neon though, so I'll work on fixing that.

47 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Yeah, I'm not sold on the Beavers. While the name has a lot of history in the region (I should know, I did my undergrad there), I kind of have a hard time not seeing the word "beaver" as an immature euphemism for "vagina." It doesn't pass the "Will a 12 year old snicker at it?" test.

I have to disagree.. I think it's pretty much fallen out of common vernacular for those who would still be immature enough to snicker at it.. I work with over 200 college athletes where my office is connected to the football locker room, and my wife is a middle school teacher, and this is not a commonly used term anymore.. I think it'll continue to lose traction, and a beavers identity is pretty safe

25 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

Not sure why a team can have that many options for jerseys, pants, and caps, but can't have a third pair of socks.. Not to mention, you only have the yellow socks paired with the yellow jerseys in any of your mockups, so assuming that's pretty much the standard, it would make sense that the two items designed to be worn primarily with each other would match

Oh I didn't even consider that... I was just saying I'd rather adjust everything to match rather than accommodate one element of the uniform for a certain combination, if that makes sense. Would something like this work? That way, everything presented on a yellow background would match at least in colorization. 

597e1b5f2ca8e_PittsburghPiratesAlternate15.thumb.png.76756026c47ac4b2c1f03d132ce7fd02.png

40 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

The only reasons I like to go with Minor League teams for expansion is because you said there is already established history that can be expanded upon, which is something I tried to take advantage of when choosing my teams. I also don't have great compatibility to make my own logos from scratch, so I try to work with what I have.

I'll start working on a Beavers identity that uses more of the Pioneers elements! The irony is though that those Pioneers scripts were actually made in MS Word, so I'd probably prefer to keep the "Beavers" scripts, haha.

I think a dark red and a light green could work as an inverse of the Red Sox, sort of like what I almost went with before. The shade of green I left off with was a little too neon though, so I'll work on fixing that.

I guess that it does make sense, working within software limits. I would not have known that the Pioneers were an MS Word creation, so kudos! I just have issues with the Beavers' scripts, which looked like a bog-standard brush script font (compared to your Pioneers font).

37 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

I have to disagree.. I think it's pretty much fallen out of common vernacular for those who would still be immature enough to snicker at it.. I work with over 200 college athletes where my office is connected to the football locker room, and my wife is a middle school teacher, and this is not a commonly used term anymore.. I think it'll continue to lose traction, and a beavers identity is pretty safe

Yeah, I'm kind of out of touch with the young kids' vernacular, so I'm just going off of what I remember from high school (which was some time ago). If the "beaver" euphemism has fallen out of favor, then I'm good with Beavers!

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

Yeah, I'm kind of out of touch with the young kids' vernacular, so I'm just going off of what I remember from high school (which was some time ago). If the "beaver" euphemism has fallen out of favor, then I'm good with Beavers!

Yea I'm currently in that sort of age range, and although I've heard a lot of nasty things, I've definitely never heard that said before, so I was surprised when it even came up as a possibility.

13 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

How about a brown and mint green scheme for Portland?

I could try that. I do like having the red though. In the meantime, how does something like this look?

597e33fc1fee9_PortlandBeaversLogos.thumb.png.dd6611441c046d33265e8e1cd4083431.png

21 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

In the meantime, how does something like this look?

597e33fc1fee9_PortlandBeaversLogos.thumb.png.dd6611441c046d33265e8e1cd4083431.png

This looks pretty good! I'd still like to see the brown to compare, but I could definitely live with this scheme. I'd put "Portland" on at least one of the jerseys and lighten up that tan color for the road, however.

2 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Oh I didn't even consider that... I was just saying I'd rather adjust everything to match rather than accommodate one element of the uniform for a certain combination, if that makes sense. Would something like this work? That way, everything presented on a yellow background would match at least in colorization. 

597e1b5f2ca8e_PittsburghPiratesAlternate15.thumb.png.76756026c47ac4b2c1f03d132ce7fd02.png

I think that's a much better match.. The issue wasn't the logos and numbers, it was the piping, which you've fixed here

32 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

This looks pretty good! I'd still like to see the brown to compare, but I could definitely live with this scheme. I'd put "Portland" on at least one of the jerseys and lighten up that tan color for the road, however.

Portland would be at least on one if not two of the jerseys, I just don't have a vector large enough to portray it.

Here's a brown and mint version. I like it, but it makes me feel like the red is missing.

597e41d377ecd_PortlandBeaversLogos2.thumb.png.48d101364b42d032f425fc1f8d1b08e6.png

I like the brown too! I also really like the red, though. In the end it's your call. I'll be happy with either one.

EDIT: One issue I have with the red option is that the white "P" on the red background is pretty darn close to what you've done with the Phillies. The brown would avoid this problem. I also think the primary logo looks more natural with the brown as opposed to the red. 

2 hours ago, Paul Lucas said:

Great work, but I think at least one jersey should feature something other than the 'Beavers' wordmark. 

They will! I just don't have an image of the "Portland" wordmark big enough to show on the logos part.

Alright so here is a Portland update, complete with an actual Portland wordmark for the logo sheet (which wouldn't have been possible without the help of @SFGiants58.) I had to remove the light brown from the set except for the primary, since it didn't really fit in well with the set when it wasn't on the wordmark outline.

597f592a12624_PortlandBeaversLogos.thumb.png.da10883152e7b4f6345a213bb01244c9.png597f59320e5fb_PortlandBeaversHome.thumb.png.d7ac95727241bbb08386e316e2a51b0a.png597f5939cc8f5_PortlandBeaversAway.thumb.png.f966bde36060c923d3fe232b4615f9d2.png597f5941a880c_PortlandBeaversAlternate.thumb.png.ee8aad94710d01f37e4cbd2fd832e0ba.png597f5949c5577_PortlandBeaversAlternate2.thumb.png.f62f7248dd3f19748d86379b8a7de544.png

Let me know what you think!

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:37 AM, MJD7 said:

Up to the plate for a redesign today are the Baltimore Orioles:

Logos

59302157b69ab_BaltimoreOriolesLogos.thumb.png.7e68fea83aaedc3e31b16fa43e28143b.png

-It had to be the Orioles or the Giants to make the color switch. Although the scheme doesn't quite make sense with the colors of an actual oriole, it has historical precedence with the St. Louis Browns before them, and also seems to fit in well with the area.

-The logos otherwise remain unchanged, besides the orange jersey becoming the away.

Uniforms

59302293ed138_BaltimoreOriolesHome.thumb.png.0fa2a2342e64b440a54c105738bc958e.png5930229ba2d9b_BaltimoreOriolesAway.thumb.png.909ef11ad82c5ecc87b78c15ad40420e.png593022a38752c_BaltimoreOriolesAlternate1.thumb.png.60326af2708a8b4b4a0ccd1a83f60a98.png593029560b081_BaltimoreOriolesAlternate2.thumb.png.24ccc4bb756aba50b6a15f97f1058ae5.png

-The striping is my own attempt to incorporate the Maryland flag in some way, something that has been tried many times before. I did my version with one brown and one orange stripe, with a 'mix' stripe in the middle looking like part of the Maryland flag. This style also allows the common sock pattern of the Orioles to be brought in to match, since that also has two white stripes.

-For the alternate jerseys, the stripe that matches the jersey color was switched to the opposite color to prevent asymmetry, if that makes sense.

That's about all I've got for today. As always, C+C would be appreciated.

Now we can see the difference between the Giants and Orioles. I like this and you did a good job with showing the brown tops. Very well done.

2 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Alright so here is a Portland update, complete with an actual Portland wordmark for the logo sheet (which wouldn't have been possible without the help of @SFGiants58.) I had to remove the light brown from the set except for the primary, since it didn't really fit in well with the set when it wasn't on the wordmark outline.

597f592a12624_PortlandBeaversLogos.thumb.png.da10883152e7b4f6345a213bb01244c9.png597f59320e5fb_PortlandBeaversHome.thumb.png.d7ac95727241bbb08386e316e2a51b0a.png597f5939cc8f5_PortlandBeaversAway.thumb.png.f966bde36060c923d3fe232b4615f9d2.png597f5941a880c_PortlandBeaversAlternate.thumb.png.ee8aad94710d01f37e4cbd2fd832e0ba.png597f5949c5577_PortlandBeaversAlternate2.thumb.png.f62f7248dd3f19748d86379b8a7de544.png

Let me know what you think!

That looks good. Emerald green and wine needs to be used someday. Good combo!

Archived