MLB Redesigns Series

MJD7

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Silver_Star said:

That looks good. Emerald green and wine needs to be used someday. Good combo!

I agree. Thanks!

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

The Beavers look great in that color scheme. How about putting the "P" logo on the green alternate? 

I thought about doing that too. It looks pretty cool, but it might suffer from the same problem as Vegas of maybe being too slanted.

597fb46dd4f64_PortlandBeaversAlternate22.thumb.png.5772746d6cd286df3234a68ee6ba441b.png

I feel like posting this a little bit early, so I'm gonna go ahead and show you guys the final expansion team, the Salt Lake Bees!

Logos

597fc9380aaa1_SaltLakeBeesLogos.thumb.png.ca7dc72a537a197caa18cefe93c12dbd.png

-Finishing off the AL Central, I chose to bring the Salt Lake Bees up to the bigs because I could base their identity off of the former Boston Bees, which went on to become the Atlanta Braves. Although royal & yellow was already taken, navy & yellow was not, so I decided to go with that scheme.

-I gave the home uniform pinstripes to resemble old Bees sets, which is also complimented by making the wordmark yellow.

Uniforms

597fc860de589_SaltLakeBeesHome.thumb.png.831f50a0cd50c4b52a1e2910bb9cfa7d.png597fc86dc9c35_SaltLakeBeesAway.thumb.png.5cf30d5ce202761caa7af3c55bac57c3.png597fc876b2ce0_SaltLakeBeesAlternate1.thumb.png.9d3d55a49cf37005bee737846f558b74.png

-The uniforms are primarily based off of the 1937 and 1938 Bees sets, both of which I think are fantastic. I especially love the yellow socks at home. The double-stripe feature on the sleeves comes from this set, with the added bee-stripe format (which fits in line with the pinstripes at home) as a modern touch.

-I had a hard time finding a number font that fit well, hopefully the one I chose does the trick.

-The socks keep the bee-stripe pattern going throughout the set. Originally the stripes were continuous from top to bottom, but I scrapped that since it would probably be too garish.

I'd love to hear what you guys think about my last of the six expansion teams!

g3a5Z.gif

I was going to comment that blue is an odd choice for a team called the "Bees," but the fact that it's a scheme once used by the Boston Bees allows it to work. Still, it's a shame that Pittsburgh lays claim to black and gold! 

I'm a sucker for a good monogram logo, and this one is no exception, so I think you should put it on the blue alt. I also think the cartoon bee should be used as a sleeve patch because it's great. 

As a side note, I feel inclined to point out that from a geographical perspective, it might make more sense to have the Bees play in the AL West and move one of the Texas teams to the Central...

11 hours ago, Silver_Star said:

Now we can see the difference between the Giants and Orioles. I like this and you did a good job with showing the brown tops. Very well done.

Teams in opposite leagues, on opposite coasts can bear to share a similar color palette.. Especially with SF being black/orange/bit of gold accents, with Baltimore being orange/black/heavy use of white.. I know the point is to try to make each team unique, but to change a team for sake of uniqueness at the expense of that team isn't always the best.. Plus, as you mentioned, Orioles are orange and black, so matching the team to the bird is more accurate.. Assuming giants existed, they likely wouldn't be black and orange (at least not to the same literal extent that Oriole birds are)..

10 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I'm a sucker for a good monogram logo, and this one is no exception, so I think you should put it on the blue alt. I also think the cartoon bee should be used as a sleeve patch because it's great. 

There are a couple different options for this, such as a "B" like Boston used to wear, or the "SL" of the caps.

598099b5c13a4_SaltLakeBeesAlternate12.thumb.png.2ba3b1aa04ec506373c3da711b228ba1.png598099bdda596_SaltLakeBeesAlternate13.thumb.png.b2672438db66b227f1e5749dd3acd86b.png

8 hours ago, WavePunter said:

Teams in opposite leagues, on opposite coasts can bear to share a similar color palette.. Especially with SF being black/orange/bit of gold accents, with Baltimore being orange/black/heavy use of white.. I know the point is to try to make each team unique, but to change a team for sake of uniqueness at the expense of that team isn't always the best.. Plus, as you mentioned, Orioles are orange and black, so matching the team to the bird is more accurate.. Assuming giants existed, they likely wouldn't be black and orange (at least not to the same literal extent that Oriole birds are)..

With geographical disparity not really affecting the goal I set out, that was actually the exact type of parameter I tried to set for this series... This isn't my definitive stance on what I think the MLB should look like (though I wouldn't necessarily mind it), it's just a fun experiment to see if I even could give each team its own color scheme unique to them. Making two teams orange and black just because I am fearful of expending team history would take the challenge out of it for me. Besides, orange and brown is as I mentioned a scheme that has great historical precedence in Baltimore's history as a club, so unless you have any suggestions on a scheme I should use instead for the Giants, I think I'm going to keep things as is.

3 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

There are a couple different options for this, such as a "B" like Boston used to wear, or the "SL" of the caps.

598099b5c13a4_SaltLakeBeesAlternate12.thumb.png.2ba3b1aa04ec506373c3da711b228ba1.png598099bdda596_SaltLakeBeesAlternate13.thumb.png.b2672438db66b227f1e5749dd3acd86b.png

I'd still stick with the "SL" logo. Could you try making the front numbers level with the logo, like you did with the Beavers alternate?

6 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Nice! I think the top option is the way to go. 

2 hours ago, BenD said:

The bees look great, and I'm glad you went with a more yellow dominant look. For the blue alt id say the SL monogram is the way to go.

1 hour ago, ncs53 said:

Great Bees concept

Thank you, the SL jersey it is. I guess that still references Boston in a way, but with its own unique spin.

1 hour ago, eick74 said:

How would the Bees look with Cool Black (hex #002e63) instead of Navy Blue?

The blues look fairly similar, I like them both:

5980f716882d2_bluecomparison.thumb.png.9b28b3ee4413d4e60f9c187e234e93c4.png

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

Is the one on the left the current shade or the Cool Black?

Also, could we see the Bees set with the cartoon bee on the sleeve?

The left is the current shade, the right is the cool black.

Here is the set with the bee on the sleeve:

598134beb3d25_SaltLakeBeesHome.thumb.png.bf998a884856bcb6d95ffa20de649687.png598134c7bbf6f_SaltLakeBeesAway.thumb.png.57fb22c9d71bb8e05d9d346e0a87c055.png598134d05ad09_SaltLakeBeesAlternate13.thumb.png.ad7af8e06dc355b510ade33c38fa5a43.png

I quite like it.

Archived