MLB Redesigns Series

MJD7

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Ciaranowls said:

May I suggest a "welcome to las Vegas" sign alternate

welcome_to_las_vegas_sign.jpg

A "Welcome to Vegas" alternate would basically be what I was planning for the set without black, with the playing cards now doubling as lights.

5949268a2bfef_LasVegasAcesAlternate4.thumb.png.300d896a8ae00973f10e4cfce777fe46.png

10 hours ago, mee said:

Could you try a uniform with the A or the V on the chest? I feel 3 uniforms with the ACES wordmark is overdoing it..

9 hours ago, Ciaranowls said:

Agreed

These didn't turn out quite as I expected, but do you guys like them?

594926ac3485e_LasVegasAcesAlternate2.thumb.png.f18f6299e3308a86d0d1670cd0bb5a1d.png594926b580c87_LasVegasAcesAlternate22.thumb.png.721490e3671ded31afbab974182d0534.png

And lastly, too crazy?

594926d0dc532_LasVegasAcesAlternate23.thumb.png.c84e1d9921520ca5bd18583b9ff68a48.png

Usually I'm a big proponent of crest logos on uniforms, but for some reason I'm not feeling these. Maybe it's because of the racing stripes on the sleeves.

And yeah, that last one is a little too crazy, but I do like the pinwheeled cap. What if the sleeves matched the front of the jersey?

7 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Usually I'm a big proponent of crest logos on uniforms, but for some reason I'm not feeling these. Maybe it's because of the racing stripes on the sleeves.

And yeah, that last one is a little too crazy, but I do like the pinwheeled cap. What if the sleeves matched the front of the jersey?

7 hours ago, willmoen said:

I have to agree with @coco1997. The Pinwheel Cap is pretty good, but the Half and Half Jersey may be taking it just a bit too far even for Las Vegas.

6 hours ago, Ciaranowls said:

What if you did the "a" logo on the chest instead of the v

Yea, I don't really like the crest logo either, if I had to guess why I think it's because it's so slanted. If that's what it is, then I don't think an 'A' would help much either. Making the sleeves match doesn't make it much less crazy either, haha:

59499cf99f21f_LasVegasAcesAlternate24.thumb.png.4155301c06a0fcd14cf6c37046062d84.png

15 hours ago, willmoen said:

This actually looks way better with the sleeve colors flipped. This would work well as an alternate.

13 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I actually think the changed sleeve colors make a big difference. It's not as crazy as the first version, but it gets the point across. That would make a fine alternate. 

I think I'm still probably going to leave it out, as many of the elements are too crazy & inconsistent with the rest of the set. It was a fun idea, though.

The two Los Angeles teams are coming up in a little bit.

Alright, so here are the two teams that reside in the city of angels, first up being the Angels!

Logos

594a8b9c9020f_LosAngelesAngelsLogos.thumb.png.0410a708a3e2256fae339ff7673f6003.png

-I've always been in a position of not really liking the Angels using red, and although some recent discussion in the MLB Changes thread gave some good points, I still like to imagine the Halos in a more 'heavenly' scheme. In my opinion, yellow is an underrated color in sports and is one that the Angels could embrace within their current identity, along with the secondary colors periwinkle and navy, all of which have been used at different points in the club's past.

-I removed the sort of "spikes" seen on the sides of the letters, in order to differentiate more from the Rangers and give a sleekness to the look. I also removed the halo from the hat logo in particular, which you can probably predict why as we move on into the uniforms.

Uniforms

594a92cccfdcc_LosAngelesAngelsHome.thumb.png.234df160ac79a4e93f7caa48b248e8c0.png594a92d4cf96d_LosAngelesAngelsAway.thumb.png.0b641a2681e7c26a0c01616cb15fc682.png594a92dc9ced9_LosAngelesAngelsAlternate1.thumb.png.ef2bb894c2381eee934c5c0b00f95c7f.png594a92e50c41a_LosAngelesAngelsAlternate2.thumb.png.55692127e2df005067655428a790a0c7.png

-Inspired by @davidrpaige's primarily yellow Rays set, as I was in my Color Rush series, I transferred the idea over to the Angels taking yellow/gold as their own.

-The halos are back on the top of the caps, as that's one of my favorite simple elements in all of baseball history.

-As in my tweaks series, the set takes on the single thin halo stripe motif that brings the entire set together.

-I also removed the third outline around the name so as to be more readable.

-I wanted a large presence of white in this set,as it seems to fit the Angels well, so I included a white cap.

-I went with periwinkle for the away, as I think it compliments the gold quite well.

On to Dodgertown!

Logos

594aa44956b88_LosAngelesDodgersLogos.thumb.png.16a7858e11393e7657420a7b898b0fbb.png

-Since royal blue and red is poised to be taken by another team in the near future, I had to give the Dodgers the only other plausible secondary color that has been used in their history- light blue. I think it looks good against the new darker form of Dodger blue.

-I adjusted the primary logo to include the bolder, jersey version of the Dodger wordmark. Otherwise, the logo set stays relatively the same.

Uniforms

594a993b0f743_LosAngelesDodgersHome.thumb.png.c40730972a6d087d1fe8921246c49bb3.png594a99436915f_LosAngelesDodgersAway.thumb.png.7d5d478a091b88b0c8a627ed2b0c6e2b.png594aa51d7b8e9_LosAngelesDodgersAlternate.thumb.png.b83d2617b56dfd576e6b0c3ab0138b56.png

-As recommended by @Paul Lucas in my tweaks series, I'm going with an OKC Dodgers inspired striping pattern so as to differentiate from the real-life set.

-The sock design is inspired by Dee Gordon's faux-stirrup look that matches the rest of the set well.  

-Light blue replaces red as the color for the front number.

-The alternate goes full on light blue, inspired by this set the Dodgers tried out back in their Brooklyn days.  Also, should I add a white cap for the away? It seems to have precedence in Dodger history.

Wishing you all a very pleasant good afternoon, wherever you may be. C+C is appreciated.

Great job on both LA teams. My one issue is with the Dodgers. This is not with you, but with the team. I never really liked that the numbers on the front and back are different colors. Would there be any way that you could switch one of the colors on the Home and Away to make them match? I know this would be against what the team has traditionally done, but this has always been one of my pet peeves for baseball uniforms and I would want to see how it would look. It's up to you on whether you would want to do that. Other than that, great work.

7wldHiW.png

Chelsea.png

I'm not really feeling that color scheme for the Angels. I guess it's just hard for me to see them in anything but red, with the secondary color being dealer's choice (navy, gold, periwinkle, etc.)

The Dodgers look good, and the powder blue front number looks great against the road jersey. I don't think the road set needs a white cap. However, I would invert the colors on the alt.

17 minutes ago, willmoen said:

Great job on both LA teams. My one issue is with the Dodgers. This is not with you, but with the team. I never really liked that the numbers on the front and back are different colors. Would there be any way that you could switch one of the colors on the Home and Away to make them match? I know this would be against what the team has traditionally done, but this has always been one of my pet peeves for baseball uniforms and I would want to see how it would look. It's up to you on whether you would want to do that. Other than that, great work.

Thank you, I appreciate it. I am admittedly kind of confused on what you're suggesting for the Dodgers, are you saying I should do something like make the player name light blue to accomodate, or make the number royal, and eliminate light blue entirely?

9 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

I'm not really feeling that color scheme for the Angels. I guess it's just hard for me to see them in anything but red, with the secondary color being dealer's choice (navy, gold, periwinkle, etc.)

The Dodgers look good, and the powder blue front number looks great against the road jersey. I don't think the road set needs a white cap. However, I would invert the colors on the alt.

Alright, I inverted the colors on the alternate, and it does really fit the rest of the set a lot better.

As for the Angels, I'll wait and see what others think before I decide on what to do. I personally like the current scheme, but I'd be interested to hear what others think.

20 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Thank you, I appreciate it. I am admittedly kind of confused on what you're suggesting for the Dodgers, are you saying I should do something like make the player name light blue to accomodate, or make the number royal, and eliminate light blue entirely?

What I was trying to imply was make the number on the back Royal Blue to match the front so that the Royal Blue is still shown in all of the uniforms.

7wldHiW.png

Chelsea.png

Angels: The spike-free look is pretty nice, and is a good way to make them look less like the Rangers/Red Sox. However, the spike-free numbers look too weird. Maybe a block font would well in this situation. The new color scheme fits them pretty well, but it could use a bit more of the navy accent color (maybe the belts/on the socks - I know the latter would mess with the "halo" hats, but it would make the set more "grounded"). I'd dump the halo caps, as they didn't look all that good on-field. Other than that, good work.

Dodgers: Exchanging the red for powder was a good move! I also like that you brought back the arm/shoulder striping. My only complaint is that the sock striping looks terrible, even when combined with the striping of the rest of the set. A single, horizontal white stripe would be better (or blue stripe on a white sock, in the case of the road uniform). I still like the set.

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Angels: The spike-free look is pretty nice, and is a good way to make them look less like the Rangers/Red Sox. However, the spike-free numbers look too weird. Maybe a block font would well in this situation. The new color scheme fits them pretty well, but it could use a bit more of the navy accent color (maybe the belts/on the socks - I know the latter would mess with the "halo" hats, but it would make the set more "grounded"). I'd dump the halo caps, as they didn't look all that good on-field. Other than that, good work.

Dodgers: Exchanging the red for powder was a good move! I also like that you brought back the arm/shoulder striping. My only complaint is that the sock striping looks terrible, even when combined with the striping of the rest of the set. A single, horizontal white stripe would be better (or blue stripe on a white sock, in the case of the road uniform). I still like the set.

What about something like this for the Dodgers? The socks are inspired by these from Brooklyn's past. I also added slightly more light blue in small places for more color balance, as suggested by @willmoen.

594bec53daeb8_LosAngelesDodgersHome.thumb.png.983275ba810b84565019c845f94bfb99.png594bec6c78e78_LosAngelesDodgersAway.thumb.png.af16bc7a3814180f802560f22f096cee.png594bec7c303cf_LosAngelesDodgersAlternate.thumb.png.f31c7588a3773865aa48dcab6924d136.png

I'm still trying to decide what to do with the Angels, so I'd love to hear any more suggestions anyone has.

Archived