Norfolk Admirals unveil new logo

BeerGuyJordan

Norfolk released their new primary logo. It's actually more of a return to a previous look, that happens to pair well with their new Nashville affiliation.

http://wtkr.com/2017/06/01/live-now-norfolk-admirals-reveal-new-logo/

images.jpg

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks more like a shoulder patch than anything else. As stated above, it looks like something from a past time.

It's better than their previous logo, but it's still pretty bad, imo. Not a terrible design if it were a shoulder patch, but as a team's primary logo, it's pretty terrible.

11 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

images.jpg

As others have said, this is pretty bad.  

The font doesn't lend itself to a roundel. Very awkward, those serifs. The weight is all off; the rope is fine but the wordmark circle is way too thick for the rest of the design, which may also reflect a problem with the font. 

The central image - stars and anchor - is fine, but a bit thin and spindly against the bright gold background. Might have worked better had they flipped those, gold on navy.

I don't know if it's a good thing that I look at the logo and think "Yeah I'll have the crab cakes and an order of hush puppies."

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

What's funny is that design is basically a throwback to their original logo back in 1989 when they were the Hampton Roads Admirals.

vtijwhog1jqblichkk6bfx89p.gif

In this case I think they would have been better off going all the way back to the original logo as it addresses many of the issues that exist with the new logo (although their original logo was far from perfect).

By comparison, the logo they had from 1995 until 2000 looks lightyears better:

ki9289mqz4lailgh5ab8.gif

...I guess someone just hit Ctrl-Z one too many times on the way-back machine.

I had never heard of this team before. The yellow and blue anchor color scheme reminds me very much so of the Lake Superior State Lakers college hockey team.

LSSU92HockeyChamp.jpg

5 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I don't know if it's a good thing that I look at the logo and think "Yeah I'll have the crab cakes and an order of hush puppies."

Great, now you've made me hungry.

img01.jpg

As for the logo, I don't have much to add.  I mostly just wanted to take advantage of the excuse to post a picture of crab cakes.

I agree that it looks more like a shoulder patch.  The idea isn't bad, but in the execution, it's really, really bland.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On Friday, June 02, 2017 at 2:16 PM, Thaumatrope said:

What's funny is that design is basically a throwback to their original logo back in 1989 when they were the Hampton Roads Admirals.

vtijwhog1jqblichkk6bfx89p.gifki9289mqz4lailgh5ab8.gif

God I used to hate them when they used to be in the ECHL. 

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

On 6/2/2017 at 2:16 PM, Thaumatrope said:

vtijwhog1jqblichkk6bfx89p.gif

Just like I said - gold on blue is a much better choice.  It emphasized the elements themselves, not the background. 

I like it. It's unpolished, and a bit stark but that works. It's a very stark, straightforward design. Which works for a team named after a naval rank in a naval town.

EDIT- Damnit, now I'm off to grab a lobster roll.

The last Admirals logo had such potential, but it screwed all of it up with forcing the cannons in there and destroying the perspective. Almost a perfect logo that clearly got suggested-to-death. 

I think that IS a perfect shoulder logo, and they should go with a Rangers-style text across the front and run with basic old-school looks

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

On 6/3/2017 at 6:54 PM, andycumbee19 said:

God I used to hate them when they used to be in the ECHL. 

Man that brings back memories of the 64 war. (RENEGADES 4 LIFE!!!)

With that said, the logo is a bit of a throwback, it's an ok look, I think its better than what they had but that isn't saying much. I do want to see what this would look like on a jersey though.

baltimoreravens.png

13 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

I've been out to Annapolis many times, and I swear that logo looks like something you would see at one of the many Navy souvenir shops.

Or perhaps Long John Silvers.

Archived