Professional Kübb League (Updates and Expansion)

scottyeagle

This has been an awesome series (albeit a short one). I really appreciate the history that you have made for the teams, in addition to making kits that really "breathe" the respective histories. Solid work, and would love to see expansion at some point 

That's what- She

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for everyone's patience waiting for this last team.  Here they are.  

Saint Paul Gray Ducks

I've opted for some more creative, playful names throughout this league (and in general).  Saint Paul is no different, referencing the unique way Minnesotans play a popular children's game.  The Gray Ducks have developed a strong cross-metro rivalry with Minneapolis starting with their inaugural season.  After trading blows with the Kübbs for the first few years to see who would lose to Eau Claire in the finals, the Gray Ducks finally took the Kings' crown and became the golden goose (someone needs to punch me in the face for writing that).  They have continued to be a successful franchise with five Lutefisk Cups, second only to Eau Claire.  With their success, fans have flocked to the team, giving the Gray Ducks the highest attendance marks in the league.  Their stadium quickly became cramped, so they worked with the city of Saint Paul to build a new stadium along the Mississippi River at the closed Highland Park Ford plant.  The stadium opened to great fanfare this past season, and the Gray Ducks christened it with a championship season, defeating Des Moines after the league favorite Kings laid an egg in their playoff match.  They look like a solid choice to repeat as champs, although Des Moines, Minneapolis, and Rochester have created an extremely difficult division to navigate.  

kvv9X8V.png

A team like the Gray Ducks is just calling for a double gray color scheme.  I added some purple, associating the team with the Minnesotan icon Prince and the Vikings.  This is probably the team with which I am least happy, which makes sense why it took so long for me to unveil them.  Their home jersey has not changed since their inaugural season, and while the road has always featured purple as the primary color, its design has changed over the years.  Now, the away features a wing as a kind of sash akin to Minnesota United FC's previous design.  

Well, that concludes the Professional Kübb League for now.  I might expand the league in the future, although it will probably be from a purely theoretical standpoint as the most recent expansion occurred three seasons ago and only one of those teams has been successful.  Thanks everyone for following along and for your helpful comments, even though I didn't garner as many as I hoped.  If you have any more about Saint Paul or any of the other seven, I most certainly welcome them.  

The name is ABSOLUTELY fantastic! I would maybe lighten the light grey a little more to get a little better contrast from the purple. 

The logo is a goose though, and not a duck...

canadagoose_tcm9-18252.jpg?width=530&cro

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

On 7/7/2017 at 2:05 PM, chcarlson23 said:

The name is ABSOLUTELY fantastic! I would maybe lighten the light grey a little more to get a little better contrast from the purple. 

Back in the day in good ole 'Sota we called geese gray ducks because why the hell not we had too many Norwegians. That's why it's duck duck gray duck here instead of duck duck goose

S8eR5Rf.png

Q2XFfoc.jpg

1 hour ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

Back in the day in good ole 'Sota we called geese gray ducks because why the hell not we had too many Norwegians. That's why it's duck duck gray duck here instead of duck duck goose

I've lived in Minnesota my whole life, and have never heard the Canadian Geese called Grey Ducks... I even have Norwegian grandparents on both sides...

I do play Duck-Duck-Grey Duck and not goose however.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

On 7/7/2017 at 2:05 PM, chcarlson23 said:

It most certainly is a goose!  Since the name of the game everywhere else is duck duck goose, I determined gray duck was a stand-in for goose, which is why I went in that direction.  Inline with the other commenter (although this may be apocryphal) Swedish settlers played the game as "anka, anka, grattanka", which translates more closely into "duck, duck, gray duck".  Plus, to the best of my (limited) knowledge in ornithology, the term 'gray duck' does not refer to any sort of species.  If people want me to change the logo into a gray-colored duck to avoid confusion, however, I would be happy to oblige them.  Thoughts? 

• 8 months later...

So in lieu of doing more important things, I made some updates to the league. 

1) I was never satisfied with Saint Paul's look.  The logo now conveys more motion, and the jerseys now have a chevron design in reference to the flying V patterns used by geese when traveling. 

bnAQnD5.png

2)  Milwaukee's strange-looking diamond logo is replaced by something more rounded and reminiscent of a beer label.  I don't know why I didn't think of this before; it just makes so much sense. 

9CidGWH.png

3)  Des Moines replaces their blue jersey with an orange one.  They're the only team in the league (for now) with orange in the color scheme, so I felt they could really own that color.  With a name like the Dragons, a fiery orange makes a good deal of sense.

1dZ1kE8.png

4)  The league will also expand to twelve teams, expanding into the Chicago, Duluth, Fargo-Moorhead, and Omaha markets.  These markets beat out proposals from Appleton, Cedar Rapids, the Quad Cities, Rockford, Saint Cloud, and Sioux Falls.  Here's an updated league map.

1m35h8v.png

Be sure to keep an eye out for Chicago, Duluth, Fargo-Moorhead, and Omaha.  In the meantime, let me know what you think of the updates to Saint Paul, Milwaukee, and Des Moines (I know the Saint Paul logo is still pretty blobby)

Archived