The Pointless Realignment Outpost

Lee.

6 hours ago, ltp74 said:

Why have Pittsburgh and Philly in separate divisions? Back in the day it was one of the fiercest rivalries in baseball and if they ever were in a race for the division crown it would instantly heat up again.

So from what I’m gathering, the NL should look like this:

North-

Chicago Cubs

Cincinnati Reds

Milwaukee Brewers

New York Mets

East-

Montreal MLB Team

Pittsburgh Pirates 

Philadelphia Phillies

Washington Nationals

South-

Atlanta Braves

Colorado Rockies

Miami Marlins

St. Louis Cardinals

West-

Arizona Diamondbacks

Los Angeles Dodgers

San Diego Padres

San Francisco Giants

Here we imagine a scenario in which the three biggest leagues of arena/indoor football, the AFL, the IFL, and the NAL, merge into one grand reconstituted Arena Football League.

ATLANTIC CONFERENCE

CONTINENTAL CONFERENCE

NORTHEAST

MID-ATLANTIC

SOUTHEAST

NORTH

CENTRAL

WEST

Albany Empire

AC Blackjacks Carolina Cobras

Bismarck Bucks

Columbus Destroyers

Arizona Rattlers

Massachusetts Pirates Baltimore Brigade Columbus Lions

Green Bay Blizzard

CR River Kings

SD Strike Force

New York Streets

Philadelphia Soul

Jacksonville Sharks

QC Steamwheelers

Iowa Barnstormers

Tucson Sugar Skulls

Washington Valor

Orlando Predators

Sioux Falls Storm

Nebraska Danger

Schedule: no inter-conference play

three-team divisions:

3 games vs. each divisional rival; 1 game vs. 6 non-divisional teams = 12

four-team divisions:

2 games vs. each divisional rival; 1 game vs. 6 non-divisional teams = 12

playoffs: divisional champs plus one wildcard from each conference

• Like 2

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

2 hours ago, DNAsports said:

North-

Chicago Cubs

Cincinnati Reds

Milwaukee Brewers

New York Mets

East-

Montreal MLB Team

Pittsburgh Pirates 

Philadelphia Phillies

Washington Nationals

South-

Atlanta Braves

Colorado Rockies

Miami Marlins

St. Louis Cardinals

West-

Arizona Diamondbacks

Los Angeles Dodgers

San Diego Padres

San Francisco Giants

If it was my decision not much would change from the current setup. The only way North and South divisions wouldn’t be a killer time zone wise(Denver is two time zones from half their division) is if the NL and AL were radically altered or done away with. 

8 hours ago, ltp74 said:

If it was my decision not much would change from the current setup. The only way North and South divisions wouldn’t be a killer time zone wise(Denver is two time zones from half their division) is if the NL and AL were radically altered or done away with. 

I don’t think MLB will do away with AL and NL. The most drastic thing I could see happening is we get an AL East & West and an NL East & West all with 8 teams in each division

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

I don’t think MLB will do away with AL and NL. The most drastic thing I could see happening is we get an AL East & West and an NL East & West all with 8 teams in each division

Agreed if MLB goes to 32, the ideal situation is 4 divisions of 8.

• Like 1

I think every North American sport should follow suit with the MLS. Do away with divisions and just have conferences.

MLB

An AL and NL "conference" only after two more teams are added to have 16+16. Do away with the dumb interleague play.

NFL

An AFC and NFC Conference. 16+16, each team plays every other team in conference once and three more games as the old rivalries. 18 games over 19 weeks, taking away two preseason games. Top 6 from each make playoffs.

NHL

Eastern and Western Conference at 16+16. Simple top 8 in each go to playoffs. Switch to a simple W-L format getting rid of the points system.

CFL

Put all 10 teams in one division when Halifax is added. Play each team home and home, simple 18 game schedule. Top 6 make playoffs.

NBA

East and West Conference. Top 8 from each make playoffs.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2019 at 8:13 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Here we imagine a scenario in which the three biggest leagues of arena/indoor football, the AFL, the IFL, and the NAL, merge into one grand reconstituted Arena Football League.

ATLANTIC CONFERENCE

CONTINENTAL CONFERENCE

NORTHEAST

MID-ATLANTIC

SOUTHEAST

NORTH

CENTRAL

WEST

Albany Empire

AC Blackjacks Carolina Cobras

Bismarck Bucks

Columbus Destroyers

Arizona Rattlers

Massachusetts Pirates Baltimore Brigade Columbus Lions

Green Bay Blizzard

CR River Kings

SD Strike Force

New York Streets

Philadelphia Soul

Jacksonville Sharks

QC Steamwheelers

Iowa Barnstormers

Tucson Sugar Skulls

Washington Valor

Orlando Predators

Sioux Falls Storm

Nebraska Danger

For filling in the two gaps for the NE and the West, could you see teams in either Hartford, Bridgeport, Providence, Quebec City, London, or Halifax for the NE Division? And Reno, Spokane, Fresno, Portland, Boise, or SLC for the West Division?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Joke Insurance said:

For filling in the two gaps for the NE and the West, could you see teams in either Hartford, Bridgeport, Providence, Quebec City, London, or Halifax for the NE Division? And Reno, Spokane, Fresno, Portland, Boise, or SLC for the West Division?

Hartford has been tried twice, the second time when the bums over at MSG moved my beloved New York CityHawks of the AFL (see logo in my sig) to the Civic Center in 1999.  It was tough for the re-named New England Sea Wolves to attract any attention in the prolonged gloom that still affected the area only a couple of years after move of the Whalers. The Sea Wolves played two seasons in Hartford before moving to Toronto and becoming the Phantoms. 

But that was in the era when the AFL was in every major city; at that time Hartford stood out as especially small.  In this fantasy AFL, we have plenty of cities smaller than Hartford; and the majority of the arenas in our fantasy AFL have no NHL teams.  A couple of decades after the Whalers' move, perhaps an AFL team could work in the Civic Center. Still, the AHL's Hartford Wolf Pack play there to attendance that is well below the league average.  So maybe Bridgeport is a marginally better choice, as that town's AHL team draws a little better, and there is no record of the AFL already having flopped there.

As far as the west is concerned, Boise and Reno already have teams in the new 4-team indoor league called the America West Football Conference.  The Boise-area team, the Idaho Horsemen, are currently undefeated after eight games.  So let's give them the spot in the Western Division of the fantasy AFL.

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2019 at 7:54 PM, DNAsports said:

North-

Chicago Cubs

Cincinnati Reds

Milwaukee Brewers

New York Mets

East-

Montreal MLB Team

Pittsburgh Pirates 

Philadelphia Phillies

Washington Nationals

Splitting up Phila / NYM, and Cubs/StL is a bad plan.  Phillies and Pirates don’t need to be in the same division. I don’t think a NSEW alignment works well, but if you insist, then move PGH to N, NYM to E, CIN to S, and STL to N. 

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Whose idea was it to put the Indianapolis Colts in the AFC South? Indy is nowhere near the southern US. Cincinnati Bengals would have been a better fit, because they're on the border with Kentucky.  Or Miami, but I guess they don't want two Florida teams in the same division.

2 hours ago, texashockeyfan said:

Whose idea was it to put the Indianapolis Colts in the AFC South? Indy is nowhere near the southern US. Cincinnati Bengals would have been a better fit, because they're on the border with Kentucky.  Or Miami, but I guess they don't want two Florida teams in the same division.

Everyone involved wanted to keep the Bengals, Steelers, New Browns and Old Browns together due to their longstanding rivalries. 

On 7/16/2019 at 7:42 PM, insert name said:

God, I can't imagine NEW YORK being part of the WEST.

It wouldn't have been the West; the Mets wanted a divisional alignment that was based on something other than geography.

The National League's hesitancy to adopt divisions was admirable, but misplaced. What should have been as obvious to that league's owners as it was to the American League's owners is that nothing about the feel of the season would change as long as only the first-place teams could advance; the magic of the traditional pennant race would endure. 

It's too bad we had none of this skepticism when the owners brought in the three-division alignment and the wild card, which really did kill the pennant race.

Anyway, the team that got the worst deal was the White Sox, who were rightfully angry at being grouped with the Angels, Royals, and Pilots, instead of with their peers the Yankees, Red Sox, and Tigers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Anyway, the team that got the worst deal was the White Sox, who were rightfully angry at being grouped with the Angels, Royals, and Pilots, instead of with their peers the Yankees, Red Sox, and Tigers.

I had never really thought about why the White Sox are such a bland team before, but being split from those teams damaged their club a ton.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2019 at 10:40 AM, texashockeyfan said:

Part of the “New Browns” deal stayed that the Browns, Steelers, and Bengals are legally required to always be in the same division. It would have been smarter to put the Dolphins down south, but rivalries are more important than Geography in the NFL, but that had no legal stuff involved.

da0Lbhs.png

My first re-alignment post. This is for the NBA. 

Eastern Conference:

Central Division:

Minnesota Timberwolves

Milwaukee Bucks

Chicago Bulls

Detroit Pistons

Cleveland Cavaliers

Indiana Pacers

Toronto Raptors

Washington Wizards

Atlantic Division:

Boston Celtics

New York Knicks

New Jersey Nets

Philadelphia 76ers

Charlotte Hornets

Orlando Magic

Miami Heat

Atlanta Hawks

Western Conference:

Midwest Division:

Oklahoma City Thunder

Houston Rockets

San Antonio Spurs

Kansas City Kings

Dallas Mavericks

Memphis Grizzlies

New Orleans Pelicans

Pacific Division:

Golden State Warriors

Seattle Supersonics

Portland Trailblazers

San Diego Clippers

Los Angeles Lakers

Phoenix Suns

Vancouver Beavers

Utah Jazz

I went back to 2 Divisions per Conference, and that also includes League Expansion. With the Key Arena Renovations and hype of NHL 2020, and Adam Silver wanting the return of Basketball to Vancouver, that’s why I choose those locations.

I decided to (obviously) bring back the Supersonics name. I’m a believer that team history follows the team in relocation, and not “leaving history in the city.” So even though they have the old Green and Yellow Color Scheme, they have no relation to the pre-2008 team outside of name. I would also (unleaded to me re-alignment) not allow the Pelicans-Hornets-Bobcats history mess to happen. They team names don’t matter.

Back on topic, the second expansion team is called the Vancouver Beavers. The Beavers name was a finalist in the original Vancouver Grizzlies name contest, so I deciding to use that. Both these teams end up in the Pacific Division.

For :censored:s and giggles, I decided to relocate some teams for the hell of it. The Clippers go back to San Diego, which is where they came from. Also because SD people have it rough losing the Chargers. (Perfect time to bring back the Powder Blue and Orange, and rebrand similarly to the 2017-18 City Uniform.) The Kings go back to Kansas City, despite just getting a new Stadium. Missouri, with St. Louis and KC, is a very good sports state. I choose KC because they have the unused NBA-Ready Sprint Center, and because of more recent NAB history that STL. The Nets pull a Giants/Jets, but the opposite. They play in NY, but call themselves NJ. Also because New Jersey Nets sounds better than Brooklyn Nets.

With the growth of the Divisions in a size sense, and me being a supporter of “Divisions should matter in Sports.” the NBA returns to Division Winners are a top seed. With having 8 teams rather than 5, it reduces the chance of having a non deserving team get a high seed. The 2 Division Winners in each Conference will get the top 2 Postseason Seeds, with 3-8 just being the same as it’s always been, with the rest of the Conference fighting for those. Unlike the 2004-2014 format, Division Winners also get Home-Court Advantage throughout the Postseason.

I will also be doing MLB Re-Alignment and a NFL Fix-Up (no big changes there) tomorrow, and have a hand-drawn NBA, MLB, and NFL series coming soon to the Concepts section of the board, which will follow my New Universe.

• Like 1

da0Lbhs.png

22 hours ago, simtek34 said:

I will also be doing MLB Re-Alignment and a NFL Fix-Up (no big changes there) tomorrow, and have a hand-drawn NBA, MLB, and NFL series coming soon to the Concepts section of the board, which will follow my New Universe.

And here is that MLB Re-Alignment and Expansion now...

American League:

American League East:

New York Yankees

Boston Red Sox

Tampa Bay Rays

Toronto Blue Jays

Baltimore Orioles

Raleigh ???? (Any ideas?)

Cleveland Indians

Detroit Tigers

American League West:

Minnesota Twins

Milwaukee Brewers

Chicago White Sox

Kansas City Royals

Texas Rangers

Anaheim Angels

Oakland Athletics

Seattle Mariners

National League:

National League East:

Philadelphia Phillies

Washington Nationals

New York Mets

Atlanta Braves

Miami Marlins

Montreal Expos

Pittsburgh Pirates

Cincinnati Reds

National League West:

Chicago Cubs

St. Louis Cardinals

Houston Astros

Arizona Diamondbacks

Colorado Rockies

Los Angeles Dodgers

San Francisco Giants

San Diego Padres

I expand to Raleigh, North Carolina and Montreal, Quebec. Raleigh due to Carolina, in my opinion, being a good fit for a team, and the “MLB Raleigh” Group is starting to pick up steam, with CBS Writing an article on it today. Not a fan of Portland, sorry!

Playoffs work with the Division Winners making the playoffs, 3 and 4 seeds are the  #2 Teams in each division, and the 5th seed is the best remaining highest record, regardless of division.

Also, despite me basing an AL Guy and a Life-Long Twins Fan, the Designated Hitter is abolished. Farewell DH!

NFL Cleanup is tomorrow!

• Like 1

da0Lbhs.png

On 7/17/2019 at 7:53 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

It wouldn't have been the West; the Mets wanted a divisional alignment that was based on something other than geography.

The National League's hesitancy to adopt divisions was admirable, but misplaced. What should have been as obvious to that league's owners as it was to the American League's owners is that nothing about the feel of the season would change as long as only the first-place teams could advance; the magic of traditional pennant race would endure. 

It's too bad we had none of this skepticism when the owners brought in the three-division alignment and the wild card, which really did kill the pennant race.

On 7/17/2019 at 12:46 PM, schlim said:

I had never really thought about why the White Sox are such a bland team before, but being split from those teams damaged their club a ton.

They further screwed the White Sox by not putting them with the Brewers. Especially once the Senators moved to Texas where they were on their own island in the middle of the country and could have concievably played in either division. Not only did the Sox nearly move to Milwaukee after playing a slate of home games at County Stadium, but both were putting some of their best teams on the field by the early 80s. It's a shame that rivalry was never given a proper chance to blossom. Especially given how well Brewers-Cubs has taken off.

• Like 1

Unlike the 2100 series I have posted here and in my pointless realignment blog, this one will be more realistic.

MLB: If Tampa and Oakland move

Expansion teams in italics

AL East

Baltimore Orioles

Boston Red Sox

Charlotte Lynx

Chicago White Sox

Cleveland Indians

Detroit Tigers

Milwaukee Brewers

Montreal Expos (relocated Tampa Bay Rays)

New York Yankees

Toronto Blue Jays

AL West

Anaheim Angels (renamed Los Angeles Angels)

Kansas City Royals

Minnesota Twins

Oakland Oaks

Oklahoma City 66ers

Portland Athletics (relocated Oakland Athletics)

San Antonio Alamos

Seattle Mariners

Texas Rangers

Vancouver Mounties

NL East

Atlanta Braves

Chicago Cubs

Cincinnati Reds

Miami Marlins

Nashville Sounds

New York Mets

Philadelphia Phillies

Pittsburgh Pirates

St. Louis Cardinals

Washington Nationals

NL West

Arizona Diamondbacks

Austin Murcielagos

Colorado Rockies

Houston Astros

Las Vegas 51s

Los Angeles Dodgers

Omaha Bison

San Diego Padres

San Francisco Giants

Salt Lake Bees

MLB: If Tampa and Oakland find their stadiums in the Tampa Bay Area and Alameda County, California

Expansion teams in italics

AL East

Baltimore Orioles

Boston Red Sox

Chicago White Sox

Cleveland Indians

Detroit Tigers

Milwaukee Brewers

Montreal Expos

New York Yankees

Tampa Bay Rays

Toronto Blue Jays

AL West

Anaheim Angels (renamed Los Angeles Angels)

Kansas City Royals

Minnesota Twins

Oakland Athletics

Oklahoma City 66ers

Portland Beavers

San Antonio Alamos

Seattle Mariners

Texas Rangers

Vancouver Mounties

NL East

Atlanta Braves

Chicago Cubs