Lee.

The Pointless Realignment Outpost

And Now A Vocal Drill Anthology of Interest of our National Pasttime: Baseball with the Premier Major Leagues

American League: Baltimore Orioles, Boston Red Sox, Buffalo Bisons, Chicago White Sox, Cleveland Blues, Detroit Tigers, Indianapolis Racers, Newark Bears, New York Yankees, Toledo Mud Hens, Toronto Blue Jays, Washington Senators
National League: Brooklyn Dodgers (2), Chicago Cubs, Cincinnati Reds, Columbus Clippers, Halifax Voyageurs, Hartford Yard Goats, Milwaukee Braves (3), Montreal Expos, New York Mets, Philadelphia Phillies, Pittsburgh Pirates, Providence Grays
Pacific League (4): Anaheim Amigos, Hollywood Stars, Honolulu Islanders, Los Angeles Angels, Oakland Oaks, Portland Beavers, Sacramento Solons, San Diego Padres, San Francisco Seals, Tijuana Toros, Vancouver Mounties
Plainsian League: Cedar Rapids Kernels, Fargo Redhawks, Iowa Oaks, Kansas City Monarchs (5), Lincoln Railers, Minnesota Giants (6), Oklahoma City 89ers, Omaha Heartlanders, St. Louis Cardinals, Tulsa Oilers, Wichita Aeros, Winnipeg Goldeyes
Southern League: Atlanta Crackers, Birmingham Barons, Charlotte Knights, Durham Bulls, Little Rock Travelers, Louisville Redbirds, Memphis Chicks, Miami Marlins, Nashville Sounds, Norfolk Tides, Orlando Sun Sox, Tampa Bay Rays
Tex-Mex League: Acapulco Sunrays, Dallas Rangers, Ft. Worth Cats, Guadalajara Gatos, Houston Astros, Jalisco Luchadores, Mexico City Diablos Rojos, Mexico City Tigres, Monterrey Bandidos, New Orleans Pelicans (7), Round Rock Express, San Antonio Missions
Western League: Albuquerque Dukes, Arizona Diamondbacks, Boise Spuds, Calgary Cannons, Colorado Rockies, Colorado Springs Sky Sox, Edmonton Trappers, Idaho Falls Chukars, Las Vegas Blackjacks, Phoenix Firebirds, Reno Bighorns, Salt Lake City Bees
Caribbean League: Cibao Eagles, Oriental Stars, Cibao Gigantes, Escogido Lions, Licey Tigres, La Romana Toros, Santurce Cangrejeros, Caguas Creoles, Marianao Tigres, Almendares Alacranes, Magallanes Navigators, Zuila Eagles

(1) = Cleveland Indians is replaced to make it politically correct
(2) = Dodgers can't bolt for Los Angeles they stay in Brooklyn
(3) = Milwaukee Braves are NOT going to Atlanta in a VDAoI
(4) = Pacific Coast League merged with Major League Baseball in 1950 as the league expanded to 24 Teams
(5) = Philadelphia Athletics left for Kansas City in 1955 before absorbing their Negro League Counterpart and renamed after their Negro League club in 1960
(6) = New York Giants left for Minneapolis in 1956 (The Year after the A's leave for Kansas City)
(7) = The NBA Team named after that Baseball team never existed however will have Basketball in New Orleans exist in the pro as the New Orleans Jazz (they don't relocate to Salt Lake City, I'm Sorry)

All Told 96 Teams in the MLB Premiership, The Top 8 Winners of the League and the Top 8 Wildcard Teams Compete in a Playoff to the Determine the Champion in the World Series

This isn't so much a realignment as an alternate history. What if Walter O'Malley agreed to a stadium deal at Flushing Meadows, as proposed by Robert Moses, and kept the Dodgers in Brooklyn? I tried to keep the timeline as close to reality as possible.

1958: The Dodgers and the City of New York reach an agreement to build a new multipurpose stadium in Flushing Meadows. Realizing they are the odd man out in New York, the New York Giants announce a move to Minneapolis, and become the Minnesota Giants.

1961: Prior to the 1961 season, American League owners vote to expand by two teams. For the past few years, Calvin Griffith had been in discussions with Los Angeles officials to move the Washington Senators to LA. The main obstacle was trying to find another AL team to accompany them to the West Coast, without which other AL owners would not approve a relocation to Los Angeles. With the expansion, the original Washington Senators opted to relocate to Los Angeles to become the Los Angeles Angels. The San Francisco Seals and a replacement Washington franchise, the "new" Washington Senators, became the two new AL franchises.

1962: The new Flushing Meadows Stadium opens in Queens, and the Brooklyn Dodgers decide to rename themselves the New York Dodgers as a result. The National League, not wanting to have fewer teams than the AL, opt to expand as well for the 1962 season. Expansion franchises are awarded to the Houston Colt .45s, and not wishing to miss out on the West Coast, the Los Angeles Stars.

1965: The Houston Colt .45s rename themselves the Houston Astros upon their move to the new Astrodome. Meanwhile, the new Angel Stadium in Chavez Ravine opens up for the Los Angeles Angels. The Los Angeles Stars relocate to Anaheim, though they maintain their name.

1966: The Milwaukee Braves relocate to Atlanta, becoming the Atlanta Braves.

1968: With Oakland not being a relocation option for the A's, thanks to the presence of another AL team there, Kansas City Athletics owner Charles Finley reaches an agreement with the city of Milwaukee to relocate there for the 1968 season. AL owners, sick of Finley's constant attempts at relocation and aware of Milwaukee's success as a major league market less than a decade prior, approve the relocation. The Milwaukee Athletics are formed.

1969: Under pressure from Missouri Senator Stuart Symington, who would famously call Milwaukee "the luckiest city since Hiroshima" on the Senate floor, the American League hastily decides to expand in preparation for the 1969 season, with Kansas City guaranteed a replacement franchise. The National League, already planning on expanding in the early 1970s, decide to move up their expansion plans to align with the AL. The AL awards franchises to the Kansas City Royals and the Seattle Pilots, while the NL gives franchises to the Montreal Expos and the Oakland Oaks.

1970: With the Seattle Pilots going bankrupt, and no stadium construction in sight, a San Diego-based ownership group buys out the Pilots, and relocates them to San Diego, renaming them the San Diego Padres.

1972: The Washington Senators relocate to Dallas, and become the Texas Rangers.

1977: Under pressure from a lawsuit from the city of Seattle regarding the relocation of the Pilots to San Diego, the American League decides to expand, creating the Seattle Mariners and Toronto Blue Jays.

1993: The National League expands, creating the Florida Marlins and the Colorado Rockies.

1998: The National League expands again, creating the Arizona Diamondbacks and the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

2005: After years of flagging attendance, the Montreal Expos relocate to Washington, renaming themselves the Washington Nationals.

2013: In order to even out the two leagues, the Tampa Bay Rays move to the American League. The NL East is reduced from six to five teams. The Detroit Tigers move to the AL Central to accommodate the arrival of the Rays to the AL East. The Texas Rangers move from the AL Central to the AL West, increasing the size of that division from four to five teams.

In 2016, baseball looks as follows (differences from our timeline in italics):

AL East:

Baltimore Orioles

Boston Red Sox

New York Yankees

Tampa Bay Rays

Toronto Blue Jays

AL Central: 

Chicago White Sox

Cleveland Indians

Detroit Tigers

Kansas City Royals

Milwaukee Athletics

AL West:

Los Angeles Angels (in Chavez Ravine, Los Angeles)

San Diego Padres

San Francisco Seals

Seattle Mariners

Texas Rangers

NL East: 

Atlanta Braves

Miami Marlins

New York Dodgers (in Queens, NY)

Philadelphia Phillies

Washington Nationals

NL Central:

Chicago Cubs

Cincinnati Reds

Minnesota Giants

Pittsburgh Pirates

St. Louis Cardinals

NL West:

Arizona Diamondbacks

Colorado Rockies

Houston Astros

Los Angeles Stars (in Anaheim)

Oakland Oaks

The toughest thing within this timeline was the A's relocation to Oakland and subsequent 1969 expansion. Finley was in talks with a slew of cities - Louisville, San Diego, Oakland, Seattle, Denver, Milwaukee, etc. The Sporting News actually reported in 1967 that he had agreed to a relocation to Milwaukee, and that he had a TV contract in place, but fell one vote short of getting the relocation approved by AL owners. This timeline assumes that sometime in 1967, he persuaded one other owner to vote in favor of the relocation. 

The other alternatives would've been to have Finley agree to move to either Seattle or San Diego (I know he had in-depth discussions with Seattle; not sure how far he even got with San Diego, though he may have been more interested in that California market had Oakland been unavailable). Seemed to be less of a jump to have the tentative Milwaukee deal get approved than to have him strike an agreement with either Seattle or San Diego. 

I would guess that under this timeline, the AL's Los Angeles Angels (who would've struck a stadium agreement in Chavez Ravine upon relocation from Washington) and San Francisco Seals would've become the "dominant" franchise in their respective metro areas, being that they were the first franchises to arrive, and would be in the largest city in the area. This would've dramatically changed the balance of power between the NL and the AL in the 1960s and 1970s, being that the AL would've had the two dominant franchises in the LA and Bay Area markets. Would they have been motivated to implement the DH in 1973 in that case? Would the NL have been looking to play catch-up with the AL and implemented it instead? Would the continued presence of the Dodgers (whose 1960's core would've looked largely the same) have resulted in them being the dominant franchise in New York from 1964 up until, say, the 90's? Would Bud Selig have ever gotten involved in baseball in Charles Finley moved a team to Milwaukee? (I tend to think that he would've - he might've bought out the Athletics once Finley decided to sell) Lots of interesting hypotheticals.

3 hours ago, kroywen said:

2005: After years of flagging attendance, the Montreal Expos relocate to Washington, renaming themselves the Washington Nationals.

I was about to suggest perhaps not had the '81 Expos not lost to the NY Dodgers, yet I see the Dodgers' 36 wins was still more than the 1st half leading Phillies, so they might've lost even earlier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_in_baseball#Second_half_of_season

Here's a new little side project I've been working on.. (Read: Made up 2 hours ago) The 50 team NFL, which basically I predict the future of the NFL in a universe where they grow to 50 teams by the end of the century, and maybe add in some wild predictions about the future of the world while i'm at it. I might do one for the MLB/NBA/NHL some time. Apologies for length.

(Disclaimer, this entirely for fun and is in no way supposed to be serious)

ex= Expansion team

NFC:

NFC EAST:

Philadelphia Eagles

Washington Warriors (Formerly Washington Redskins)

New York Giants

Dallas Cowboys

Brooklyn Tigers (ex-2066, In 2042 Brooklyn broke away from NYC and grew into a big city itself)

NFC SOUTH:

Atlanta Falcons

Charlotte Panthers (Formerly Carolina Panthers)

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

New Orleans Saints (STILL playing in the Superdome!)

Birmingham Spartans (ex-2028)

NFC NORTH:

Minnesota Vikings

Chicago Bears

Green Bay Packers (STILL in Lambeau, which is now the oldest building in the world still in regular use)

Detroit Lions

Iowa Reapers (ex-2024)

NFC WEST:

Los Angeles Rams

Seattle Seahawks

Arizona Cardinals

San Francisco 49ers

San Antonio Gunslingers (Ex- 2028)

NFC EUROPE:

London Monarchs (ex-2036)

Barcelona Matadors (ex-2036)

Berlin Galaxy (ex-2040)

Dublin Celtics (ex-2040)

Belfast Brawlers (ex-2066)

AFC:

AFC EAST:

New England Patriots

Buffalo Bills

New Jersey Jets (Formerly New York Jets, Giants get a stadium actually in New York while The Jets stay in NJ)

Miami Dolphins

Toronto Mounties (ex-2024)

AFC NORTH:

Pittsburgh Steelers

Cincinnatti Bengals

Cleveland Browns

Baltimore Ravens

Canton Bulldogs (ex-2066)

AFC SOUTH:

Houston Oilers (Formerly Texans, got the name back!)

Tennesse Titans

Indianapolis Colts

Raleigh-Durham Rebels (ex-2028)

Orlando Orbits (ex-2066)

AFC WEST:

Denver Broncos

Las Vegas Raiders (Formerly Oakland Raiders)

San Diego Chargers (Moved to L.A in 2018 but moved back to S.D just 7 years later)

Kansas City Chiefs

Oakland Condors (ex-2024)

AFC EUROPE:

London Jaguars (Formerly Jacksonville Jaguars) (sorry)

Glasgow Claymores (ex- 2024 as St. Louis Stallions, moved to Glasgow in 2055)

Paris Eiffel Towers (ex-2036)

Frankfurt Franks (ex-2040)

Moscow Huskies (ex-2075, after years of delay as a war between Russia and Ukraine delayed the stadium)

Debating if I want to post my College Football realignment idea, thus solving all of the CFP issues.  But I'm also about 14 teams away from having a 64 team College Football Redesign done, that has easily taken me 16+ months, and would like to submit them as a group.  Decisions. 

15 hours ago, CLEstones said:

Debating if I want to post my College Football realignment idea, thus solving all of the CFP issues.  But I'm also about 14 teams away from having a 64 team College Football Redesign done, that has easily taken me 16+ months, and would like to submit them as a group.  Decisions. 

Do what's best for you. I would be so curious about what you have in mind when it comes to conference realignment in major college football. I had one similar myself before.

2 minutes ago, jlog3000 said:

Do what's best for you. I would be so curious about what you have in mind when it comes to conference realignment in major college football. I had one similar myself before.

I just dont know when I'll get around to finishing the last... 14 teams.  I made it a point so every team has a unique helmet/jersey/pants combination, in both striping and color combination, as well as unique font, and I made every team a traditional stripe pattern, as well as some sort of historical reference.  Its been a real pain in the ass.  Its probably taken close to 2 years, but I scrapped the first 8 uniforms and reworked them all.  But its a full rework... Location Maps, Playoff Scenarios, Footprints, Schedules, Team Placards... I probably made it more work than I ever should have.

4 minutes ago, CLEstones said:

I just dont know when I'll get around to finishing the last... 14 teams.  I made it a point so every team has a unique helmet/jersey/pants combination, in both striping and color combination, as well as unique font, and I made every team a traditional stripe pattern, as well as some sort of historical reference.  Its been a real pain in the ass.  Its probably taken close to 2 years, but I scrapped the first 8 uniforms and reworked them all.  But its a full rework... Location Maps, Playoff Scenarios, Footprints, Schedules, Team Placards... I probably made it more work than I ever should have.

Makes sense. So it's understandable. But I just want to send you my best good vibes on that upcoming project.

NHL realignment:

Far West Conference

Pacific Division

Los Angeles Kings

San Jose Sharks

Seattle Emeralds (1)

Vancouver Canucks

Rockies Division

Salt Lake City Rockies (2)

Colorado Avalanche

Calgary Flames

Edmonton Oilers

Central Conference

Great Plains Division

Winnipeg Jets

Minnesota North Stars (3)

Saint Louis Blues

San Antonio Bulls (4)

Great Lakes Division

Milwaukee Brewers (5)

Chicago Blackhawks

Detroit Red Wings

Columbus Blue Jackets

Northeast Conference

Near Northeast Division

Toronto Maple Leafs

Buffalo Sabres

Hartford Whalers (6)

Boston Bruins

Far Northeast Division

Ottawa Senators

Montreal Canadiens

Quebec Nordiques (7)

Halifax Mariners (8)

Atlantic Conference

Metropolitan Division

New York Islanders

New York Rangers

New Jersey Devils

Miami Panthers (9)

Mid-Atlantic Division

Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsburgh Penguins

Washington Capitals

Virginia Hurricanes (10)

(1) The Anaheim Ducks are relocated to Seattle and become the Seattle Emeralds

(2) The Arizona Coyotes are relocated to Salt Lake City and become the Salt Lake City Rockies

(3) Because of the relocation of the Dallas Stars, the Minnesota Wild change their name to Minnesota North Stars

(4) The Dallas Stars are relocated to San Antonio and become the San Antonio Bulls 

(5) The Nashville Predators are relocated to Milwaukee and become the Milwaukee Brewers

(6) New expansion team

(7) The Tampa Bay Lightning are relocated to Quebec City and become the Quebec Nordiques

(8) New expansion team

(9) The Florida Panthers change their name to Miami Panthers

(10) The Carolina Hurricanes are relocated to Virginia Beach and become the Virginia Hurricanes

How it works the schedule? Easy. Each team plays six times with the division rivals (18 games), four times with the other four teams of the conference (16 games) and two times with the rest of the teams of the league (48 games). 18+16+48=82 games!

On 30/11/2016 at 4:57 PM, CLEstones said:

March Madness style tourney might be inevitable for NCAAF, though not soon.  Losers would relegate to conference play & regular bowl invites, while winners continue onwards home field advantage until Final Four as we have it neutral fields.

I would mandate 4 super conferences for that tourney based yearly on geography alone.  USC & UCLA top 2 in the nation?  Tough.  1 & 2 seeds in the Pacific/Western bracket.

Since there's recent news of a possible NFL D-League in the near future... thought I'd share my idea.

• AMERICAN CONFERENCE
    • EAST
      • Bridgeport, CT (New York Jets)
      • Nassau, The Bahamas (Miami Dolphins)
      • Providence, RI (New England Patriots)
      • Rochester, NY (Buffalo Bills)
    • NORTH
      • Canton, OH (Cleveland Browns)
      • Dayton, OH (Cincinnati Bengals)
      • Hershey, PA (Baltimore Ravens)
      • Wheeling, WV (Pittsburgh Steelers)
    • SOUTH
      • Beaumont, TX (Houston Texans)
      • Chattanooga, TN (Tennessee Titans)
      • Evansville, IN (Indianapolis Colts)
      • Savannah, GA (Jacksonville Jaguars)
    • WEST
      • Chula Vista, CA Anaheim, CA (San Diego Los Angeles Chargers)
      • Omaha, NE (Kansas City Chiefs)
      • Reno, NV (Oakland/Las Vegas Raiders)
      • Salt Lake City, UT (Denver Broncos)

• NATIONAL CONFERENCE
    • EAST
      • Frisco, TX (Dallas Cowboys)
      • Lehigh Valley -- Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton, PA (Philadelphia Eagles)
      • Richmond, VA (Washington Redskins)
      • Trenton, NJ (New York Giants)
    • NORTH
      • Fargo, ND (Minnesota Vikings)
      • Grand Rapids, MI (Detroit Lions)
      • Quad Cities -- Davenport, IA/Rock Island, IL (Chicago Bears)
      • Racine, WI (Green Bay Packers)
    • SOUTH
      • Baton Rouge, LA (New Orleans Saints)
      • Daytona Beach, FL (Tampa Bay Buccaneers)
      • Greensboro, NC (Carolina Panthers)
      • Macon, GA (Atlanta Falcons)
    • WEST
      • Flagstaff, AZ (Arizona Cardinals)
      • Long Beach, CA (Los Angeles Rams)
      • Portland, OR (Seattle Seahawks)
      • Sacramento, CA (San Francisco 49ers)

Edited by JH42XCC
UPDATED TO REFLECT THE CHARGERS RECENT MOVE FROM SAN DIEGO TO LOS ANGELES

MLS Realignment:

1.) Eastern Conference:

1.1.) Northeast Division

Columbus Crew

Montreal Impact

New England Revolution

New York City Citizens (New York City F.C.)

NY/NJ MetroStars (New York Red Bulls)

Toronto Reds (Toronto FC)

1.2.) Coastal Division

Atlanta Silverbacks (Atlanta United F.C.)

D.C. United

Orlando Lions (Orlando City F.C.)

Philadelphia Union

Miami Fusion

Tampa Bay Mutiny

2.) Western Conference:

2.1.) Midwest Division

Chicago Fire

Colorado Rapids

Dallas Burn (Dallas F.C.)

Houston Dynamo

Kansas City Wizards (Sporting Kansas City)

Minnesota Loons (Minnesota United F.C.)

2.2.) Pacific Division

Los Angeles Galaxy

Portland Timbers

San Jose Earthquakes

Seattle Sounders

Utah Royals (Real Salt Lake)

Vancouver Whitecaps

And Now My Alignment for the It's A Knockout Australia-America Challenge from 1985

AUSTRALIAN CONFERENCE

NSW Division: Blacktown Barbs, Botany Bay Boomers, Hornsby Harriers, Newcastle Steelers, Nowra Noises, Penrith Panthers, Pittwater Pirates, West Sydney Slickers
QLD Division: Aspley Atoms, Brisbane Valley Deers, Jindalee Jets, Kingaroy Peanuts, Moreton Bay Muddies, Noosa Heads Niads, Redcliffe Rangers, Surfers Beachies, Toowong Gunners, Toowoomba Tornadoes
SA Division: Adelaide Heels, Cleland Reserves, Flinders Rangers, Glenelg Gladiators, Lofty Mountaineers, Mt. Gambier Gamblers, Riverlane Rabbits, Southern Wine Coasters, York Valley Raiders
VIC Division: Alpine All Stars, Coburn City Fliers, Diamond Valley Devils, Eastern Suburbs Eagles, Geelong West Coasters, Gippsland Gladiators, Golden Valley Greats, Latrobe Valley Shockers, Otway Rangers

AMERICAN CONFERENCE

East: Bel Air (MD) By-Pass, Burriville (RI) Indians, Chambersburg (PA) Raiders, Culpepper (VA) Minute Men, Front Royal (VA) Wildcats, Gettysburg (PA) Cannonballs, Havre de Grace (MD) Warriors, Manassas (VA) Militiia, Putnam (CT) Clippers, Waynesboro (PA) Challengers, Westminster (MD) Bullies
Classic (You Need to make up the Team Names Yourself except 1 that we did): Bainbridge (GA), Banning (CA), Boulder City (NV) Superstars, Canton (IL), Keokuk (IA), Hannibal (MO), Marianna (FL), Peoria (AZ), Troy (AL)
South: Andalusia (AL) Blockbusters, Bogalusa (LA) Papermakers, Brewton (AL) Werewolves, Columbia (MS) Bombers, Covington (LA) Lions, Hammond (LA) Tornadoes, Long Beach Hurricanes (Lumberton, MS), Opp (AL) Bobcats, Picayune (MS) Pirates
West: Artesia (NM) Bulldogs, Bisbee (AZ) B-Hill Runners, Douglas (AZ) Desperadoes, Fort Stockton (TX) Comcanches, Lovington (NM) Wildcats, Monahans (TX) Lobos, Nogales (AZ) Conquistadores, Pecos (TX) Eagles, Portales (NM) P-Nuts

In Total there are 74 Teams split into 2 Conferences one for Australia (airs on Network Ten) and the Other for America (airs on ABC) all competing for a shot in the It's A Knockout Super Bowl in a 16 Team Playoff to determine the 4 teams competing for all the marbles.

And Now the Alignment had the NFL had merged the WFL in 1976 after the announcement of the WFL-NFL Merger Occured on October 20, 1975

American Football Conference
East: Baltimore Colts, Buffalo Bills, New England Patriots, New York Jets, Philadelphia Liberty Bells
North: Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, Houston Oilers, Pittsburgh Steelers
South: Jacksonville Express, Memphis Southmen, Miami Dolphins, Shreveport Steamer, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
West: Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs, Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers, Southern California Sun

National Football Conference
East: Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins
North: Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings, St. Louis Cardinals
South: Atlanta Falcons, Birmingham Vulcans, Charlotte Hornets, San Antonio Wings, New Orleans Saints
West: Honolulu Hawaiians, Los Angeles Rams, Portland Storm, San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks

If that happened the USFL will not exist but something happens in the new decade when the CFL Merged the NFL before the start of the 1983 Season with an expansion team in Mexico City as well in that year.

American Football Conference
East: Baltimore Colts, Buffalo Bills, Montreal Concordes, New England Patriots, New York Jets, Toronto Argonauts
North: Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, Hamilton Tiger-Cats, Houston Oilers, Indianapolis Racers (moved from Philadelphia in 1982), Pittsburgh Steelers
South: Jacksonville Express, Kansas City Chiefs, Memphis Southmen, Miami Dolphins, Shreveport Steamer, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
West: Calgary Stampeders, Denver Broncos, Edmonton Eskimos, Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers, Southern California Sun

National Football Conference
East: Dallas Cowboys, Mexico City Aztecs, New York Giants, Ottawa Rough Riders, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins
North: Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings, Saskatchewan Roughriders, Winnipeg Blue Bombers
South: Atlanta Falcons, Birmingham Vulcans, Charlotte Panthers (was Hornets), St. Louis Cardinals, San Antonio Gunslingers (was Wings), New Orleans Saints
West: British Columbia Lions, Honolulu Hawaiians, Los Angeles Rams, Portland Storm, San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks

Following a Successful NFL-WFL Merger, The NHL Merged the WHA in 1977 with a New Alignment

American Conference

East: Boston Bruins, Buffalo Sabres, New York Rangers, Toronto Maple Leafs, Washington Capitals
Central: Birmingham Bulls (WHA), Cincinnati Stingers (WHA), Cleveland Barons, Detroit Red Wings, Pittsburgh Penguins
West: Edmonton Oilers (WHA), Los Angeles Kings, Phoenix Roadrunners (WHA), San Francisco Seals (Relocated from Minnesota - WHA)

National Conference

East: Atlanta Flames, Hartford Whalers (WHA), New York Islanders, Philadelphia Flyers, Quebec Nordiques (WHA)
Central: Chicago Blackhawks, Houston Aeros (WHA), Indianapolis Racers (WHA), Minnesota North Stars, St. Louis Blues
West: Calgary Cowboys (WHA), Colorado Rockies, San Diego Mariners (WHA), Vancouver Canucks

In 1985, The Phoenix Road Runners moved to Tampa, FL and Became the Tampa Bay Lightning however the NHL Expanded to Kansas City, MO (Blades) and Ottawa, ON (Senators) in 1990 and relocated the Cincinnati Stingers to Seattle, WA and Became the Totems

American Conference

East: Boston Bruins, Buffalo Sabres, New York Rangers, Toronto Maple Leafs, Washington Capitals
Central: Birmingham Bulls, Cleveland Barons, Detroit Red Wings, Pittsburgh Penguins, Tampa Bay Lightning
West: Edmonton Oilers, Kansas City Blades, Los Angeles Kings, San Francisco Seals, Seattle Totems

National Conference

East: Hartford Whalers, New York Islanders, Ottawa Senators, Philadelphia Flyers, Quebec Nordiques
Central: Atlanta Flames, Chicago Blackhawks, Indianapolis Racers, Minnesota North Stars, St. Louis Blues
West: Calgary Cowboys, Colorado Rockies, Houston Aeros, San Diego Mariners, Vancouver Canucks

Then in 1993 the NHL Continued with Southern Movement, The Atlanta Flames moved to Miami and Became the Miami Flames and the Indianapolis Racers moved to Charlotte, NC and became the Charlotte Racers, while 2 More Teams joined the NHL which led to a realignment as the Dallas Texans and the Milwaukee Admirals enter for the first time.

American Conference

East: Boston Bruins, New York Rangers, Toronto Maple Leafs, Washington Capitals
Central: Buffalo Sabres, Cleveland Barons, Detroit Red Wings, Pittsburgh Penguins
South: Birmingham Bulls, Dallas Texans, Kansas City Blades, Tampa Bay Lightning
West: Edmonton Oilers, Los Angeles Kings, San Francisco Seals, Seattle Totems

National Conference

East: Hartford Whalers, New York Islanders, Ottawa Senators, Quebec Nordiques
Central: Chicago Blackhawks, Milwaukee Admirals, Minnesota North Stars, Philadelphia Flyers
South: Charlotte Racers, Houston Aeros, Miami Flames, St. Louis Blues
West: Calgary Cowboys, Colorado Rockies, San Diego Mariners, Vancouver Canucks