- Sacramento

- Vancouver

Pacific

- LA Galaxy

- LAFC

- San Jose

- Portland

- Seattle

Had a bit of trouble deciding how to sort the western teams. It was between putting MinnU in a division with teams in the Rockies and one on the west coast, or putting the Loons in the Midwest and having to split up either the KC/STL rivalry or the Texas three-way.

On 6/27/2020 at 9:48 PM, BigRed618 said:

MLS if they implemented division play:

EASTERN

Metropolitan

- NYCFC

- NY Red Bulls

- New England

- Philadelphia 

- Montreal 

Southeast

- DC United

- Charlotte

- Atlanta

- Orlando

- Miami

Central

- Chicago

- FC Cincinnati

- Nashville

- Columbus

- Toronto FC

WESTERN

Midwest

- Kansas City

- St. Louis

- FC Dallas

- Austin

- Houston

Northern

- Minnesota

- Colorado

- Salt Lake

- Sacramento

- Vancouver

Pacific

- LA Galaxy

- LAFC

- San Jose

- Portland

- Seattle

Had a bit of trouble deciding how to sort the western teams. It was between putting MinnU in a division with teams in the Rockies and one on the west coast, or putting the Loons in the Midwest and having to split up either the KC/STL rivalry or the Texas three-way.

Nashville to the Southeast, DC to the Eastern and Montreal to the Central. I know the latter is a bit of a stretch but it puts the Eastern Canadian teams together. But really, I just don’t like having a Washington, DC team in a southern division like they are in the NBA. Here’s my version that I did back when they first announced the expansion.

Atlantic 

New England

New York Red Bulls 

DC United

Philly

NYC FC

Northeast (or Central)

Montreal

Toronto

Cincinnati

Columbus

Chicago 

Southeast

Atlanta 

Charlotte

Miami

Nashville SC

Orlando

Here’s how I did the West. I know my Southwest looks wonky but you just can’t split Vancouver from Seattle and Portland and Sacramento from San Jose. 

Southwest 

Dallas

Houston

Austin

LAFC

LA Galaxy

Pacific

Vancouver 

Portland

Seattle

San Jose

Sacramento 

Northwest 

Minnesota

St. Louis

Kansas City

Salt Lake

Colorado 

On 7/1/2020 at 2:03 PM, nelroy78 said:

Nashville to the Southeast, DC to the Eastern and Montreal to the Central. I know the latter is a bit of a stretch but it puts the Eastern Canadian teams together. But really, I just don’t like having a Washington, DC team in a southern division like they are in the NBA. Here’s my version that I did back when they first announced the expansion.

Atlantic 

New England

New York Red Bulls 

DC United

Philly

NYC FC

Northeast (or Central)

Montreal

Toronto

Cincinnati

Columbus

Chicago 

Southeast

Atlanta 

Charlotte

Miami

Nashville SC

Orlando

Here’s how I did the West. I know my Southwest looks wonky but you just can’t split Vancouver from Seattle and Portland and Sacramento from San Jose. 

Southwest 

Dallas

Houston

Austin

LAFC

LA Galaxy

Pacific

Vancouver 

Portland

Seattle

San Jose

Sacramento 

Northwest 

Minnesota

St. Louis

Kansas City

Salt Lake

Colorado 

I think I like yours better. It solves all the problems I was having. I wouldn’t have thought of putting the mountain teams in with St. Louis and KC. Putting the Cascadian teams with Northern California was another nice move.

• Like 1

Time for a What if... this time, the MLS is Back Tournament.

Since it's not easy to put in 26 teams into 6 groups, things change in my version of it.

Play In Round

Each conference has a play in game to help round the numbers out. Miami and Nashville, as the newest teams, will be in these games against the worst teams from each conference from last season (there's not enough data to use this season, so last season will be used). So, the games would be this...

Western Conference - Nashville SC vs. Vancouver

Eastern Conference - Inter Miami CF vs. FC Cincinnati

Group Stage

After the two play in games, the group stage begins. Now, two weeks before the play in round, the groups were decided upon.thanks to rankings from the previous season. The Western Conference are in Groups A, C, and E while the Eastern Conference are in Groups B, D, and F.

Group A

-Los Angeles FC

-Minnesota United

-FC Dallas

-Houston

Group B

-New York City FC

-Toronto FC

-New England

-Columbus

Group C

-Seattle

-LA Galaxy

-San Jose

-Sporting Kansas City

Group D

-Atlanta United

-D.C. United

-Chicago

-Orlando City

Group E

-Real Salt Lake

-Portland

-Colorado

-Nashville FC/Vancouver winner

Group F

-Philadelphia

-New York Red Bulls

-Montreal

-Inter Miami CF/FC Cincinnati winner

Each group has a day, so that makes it 18 days for the group stage

Knockout Stage

The top 2 in each group advances along with the four best third place teams for the Knockout Stage. It's based on each conference, so...

Western Conference

-Group A Winner vs. Wild Card #1

-Group C Winner vs. Wild Card #2

-Group E Winner vs. Group A Runner-Up

-Group C Runner-Up vs. Group E Runner-Up

Eastern Conference

-Group B Winner vs. Wild Card #1

-Group D Winner vs. Wild Card #2

-Group F Winner vs. Group B Runner-Up

-Group D Runner-Up vs. Group F Runner-Up

The finals would be West vs. East.

• 2 weeks later...

Back to MLS for the next planned phase of play, which would be a return to the regular season and the playoffs. The playoffs remain the same format wise.

In terms of games, I'm looking at 20 games minimum so they can at least get the playoffs going in mid-October. Now, some teams will have 5 games under their belt thanks to the Group Stage of the MLS is Back Tournament. Well, that means there's 15 games left for them. In the case of FC Dallas and Nashville, they have 18 games left.

To help minimize travel issues, the conferences will be split into two 'pods'. The Western Conference has two 6 team pods and the Eastern Conference has two 7 team pods. Here's how they break down...

Western Conference Pod A: LAFC, LA Galaxy, Portland, San Jose, Seattle, Vancouver

Western Conference Pod B: Colorado, FC Dallas, Houston, Minnesota, Sporting Kansas City, Real Salt Lake

Eastern Conference Pod A: Columbus, Philadelphia, Montreal , New England, New York City, New York Red Bulls, Toronto

Eastern Conference Pod B: Atlanta, Chicago, Cincinnati, D.C. United, Inter Miami, Nashville, Orlando

The teams in the Western Conference will play their pod rivals three times for the remaining 15 games. The teams in the Eastern Conference will play a home and home series with the other teams in their pod, which makes 12 games. The final three games are against the nearest rival teams. FC Dallas and Nashville will also play three games against each other to make up for the games lost due to them leaving because of the virus.

Like a lot of us I've been wondering if we'll see a 2020 NCAAF season or not.  And, also like a lot of us, I'm finding myself having a bit more free time with lockdown.

So without further ado, here's my version of NCAA football.  This concept was build with a few ideas in mind.  First, it is loosely built on a Power 5 model.  I say loosely, because there are P5 teams who didn't make the cut, and there are some FCS / G5 teams who did (more on this in a minute).  Far more important than simply including all the existing Power 5 teams was to put a hard limit on the number of total teams, which I've capped at 60 teams distributed into 5 conferences (12 teams each).  This is largely because the existing FBS setup is already too massive in my opinion and lacks any sort of "central league" feeling like the NFL or other sport leagues.

With a hard number locked in, the next step is considering geographic distribution.  It's plainly obvious to anyone that the US has a much higher cluster of teams in the east, simply due to population density.  I wanted to stretch this a bit westward, so you'll note the promotion of Montana, North Dakota State and South Dakota State into this new division.  Likewise, Boise State, Nevada, Wyoming and Houston jump up from their G5 status, and Notre Dame is technically not a Power 5 team, but you know, it's Notre Dame.  When it comes to team quality, I'm sure someone will argue that Maryland deserves a spot over Wyoming.  You're probably right.  I'd encourage you to make your own concept if it bothers you.

This mapping also allows the conferences to largely be centered geographically.  It's a long way from Lincoln, Nebraska to Piscataway, NJ for a Huskers-Scarlet Knights game.  Same goes for Texas Tech fans traveling to West Virginia.  It really can't be overstated that geography plays an important part in building rivals. 

Here are the conferences: 

qOAqKX7.png

Moving onto scheduling.  Since we're creating a completely new animal, we're not locked into a standard 12-game season.  And nobody really cares about academics or students needing to make their final exams before winter break. This is about football and maximizing the number of football games.

Each team plays a full 11-game, round-robin conference schedule.  That's right.  12 teams in each conference and your team is playing every single one of them.  No more divisions.  While I like the concept of divisions within a conference, each conference has historically evaluated their divisional standings different.  Some count all conference games for the record.  Some prioritize in-division games above cross-over games.  And then some years you get the wonky 3-way tie like the famous Big XII South example when Oklahoma, Texas and Texas Tech were all locked in a rock-paper-scissors match and we allowed the freaking BCS to determine who "mathematically" won the division.  Funny enough, that same year Nebraska and Missouri tied for the Big XII North, meaning that 5/12ths of the conference was a Divisional Champion for that season.  Shoot me.

Each team gets 14 games overall, meaning three non-conference games are on the docket.  And yes, this means that your team can schedule their traditional rival who is now in a different conference.  Schedule the non-cons however you like, because there are only 59 other teams in the whole of this league.  Also, while there are a few (potential) cupcakes like Wyoming, there's no more scooping up teams from the NAIA, D3 or local YMCA to pad your schedule.  I'm mostly looking at you, SEC.  Time to divorce yourself from the annual Citadel-and-Grambling-but-really-a-Bye-Week games.

Speaking of BYE weeks, each team gets three of them, to accommodate for a longer schedule.  I suppose technically, teams get a bit of a rest during the current Conference Championship Week and then waiting period until the bowl games, but ideally, a team shouldn't have to go on some 7-10 game slog before a BYE.  Generally, you'll see 4-6 game chunks before a BYE, which seems reasonable.

Here's a sample schedule for Nebraska and Texas.  Note that UT is free to schedule Oklahoma (non-conference game) as an annual rival.  Non-cons are in red, post-season is in yellow.

cosbQjX.png

On the subject of the post-season, here's how that plays out:

At the end of the regular season, the top three teams from each conference qualify for post-season play.  The team with the best record is, obviously, the conference champion.  3 x 5 gives you fifteen teams for the bracket, which means a sixteenth team is chosen as the lone wild card.

The ranking/seeding works a little differently as each team is evaluated against their "peers" from other conferences.  For example, in the graphic below you'll see that Washington, Oklahoma, Ohio State, LSU and Florida State are the five conference champions.  Thus, in the final ranking/seeding, those five teams will be ranked #1 through #5 (in some order).  No other team can jump up from their "tier" to usurp one of those #1-#5 rankings.  In other words, Georgia is your 2nd place Eastern Conference Team.  As such, the absolute highest that Georgia can be ranked is #6.  They cannot jump into the #1-#5 tier as that portion of the bracket is reserved for conference champions.

Likewise, the 2nd place finishers are ranked in the #6-10 range, and third place finishers are in the #11-15 range.  Finally, the wild card gets a #16 ranking regardless.

Effectively, what this does is ensures that Conference Champions are always starting off their bracket against a 3rd place (or 4th place, for the wildcard) team.  Yes, there will absolutely be discrepancies in how strong each conference is from year-to-year.  But essentially, we're awarding the conference champs a slightly easier road for having won their conference.  In spirit, it's similar to the NFL model where divisional winners get a first-round BYE, except we're making them actually play a game.  This also opens up massive potential for Cinderella-style upsets which are more common in things like the current FCS Tournament or even March Madness.  

qzsz0Yk.png

Once teams are seeded, we move to the playoffs.  

The bracket operates exactly as you'd expect (1 vs 16, etc) and we borrow the CFP New Year's Day Six model with bowls.  The Fiesta, Peach, Rose, Orange, Cotton and Sugar all rotate as the four quarter-final bowls and two semi-final bowl games each season.  The only change here is that the first round is played at the home stadium of the higher-ranked team.  Again, an incentive for teams to finish highly in their conference as all 1st place conference champs are guaranteed a home game against a low-ranked opponent, while the 2nd place finishers have a 3/5ths chance of getting a home game for the first round.

f2Hw9x4.jpg

So that's it.  That's the concept.  

Comments welcome unless you're going to gripe that Oregon State or Vandy deserves a spot over Houston. :)

• Like 3

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Wow. That's a lot of work you've done here. All of this is amazing. Huge fan of the tournament style postseason and geographical divisions. I would love to argue about which teams deserve spots more, but I can tell teams were omitted and included based solely on location, which is a difficult business to sort out. Amazing work.

• Like 2

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

The Xtreme Baseball League.

A man got inspired seeing Vince McMahon's 2020 XFL relaunch and decided to bring that concept to the diamond.

American League

• Babe Ruth Division
    • Bronx Battalion
    • Hartford Dolphins
    • New York Lions (Manhattan, NY)
    • Richmond Rage
    • Washington Liberty
    • West Virginia Bobcats (Charleston, WV)
  • Frank Thomas Division
    • Atlanta Peach Cobblers
    • Cleveland Colonials
    • Detroit Motors
    • Jacksonville Gators
    • Miami Calor
    • San Antonio Rebeldes
  • George Brett Division
    • Chicago Butchers
    • Kansas City Monarchs
    • Louisville Stallions
    • Milwaukee Distillers
    • Minnesota Elks
    • St. Louis Knights
  • Ken Griffey Jr. Division
    • Denver Wolverines
    • Los Angeles Eagles
    • Phoenix Red Devils
    • Portland Castors
    • San Francisco Cardinals
    • Seattle Sailors

National League

• Jackie Robinson Division
    • Baltimore Vultures
    • Boston Blue Sox
    • Brooklyn Barons
    • Montreal Marauders
    • Philadelphia Phire
    • Washington Falcons
  • Ernie Banks Division
    • Chicago Bruins
    • Cincinnati Citadels
    • Memphis Anubians
    • Nashville Cowboys
    • Orlando Osceolas
    • Quebec Huskies
  • Nolan Ryan Division
    • Arizona Vipers
    • Dallas Wranglers
    • Denver Dynamo
    • Houston Hurricanes
    • Mexico City Aguilas
    • Oklahoma City Braves
  • Rickey Henderson Division
    • Anaheim Orange
    • Bakersfield Oilers
    • Las Vegas Neon Lights
    • Los Angeles Saints
    • Oakland Oaks
    • Salt Lake City Hornets

Federal League

• Willie Mays Division
    • Boston Minutemen
    • Buffalo Charge
    • Halifax Reivers
    • New York Gothams
    • Pittsburgh Iron Dragons
    • Toronto Titans
  • Mark McGwire Division
    • Chicago Checkers
    • Columbus Bucknuts
    • Indiana Pacesetters
    • St. Louis Red Robins
    • Tallahassee Crocodiles
    • Tampa Sharks
  • Mickey Mantle Division
    • Charlotte Cougars
    • El Paso Chihuahuas
    • Fort Worth Stampede
    • Little Rock Naturals
    • New Orleans Krewe
    • Tulsa Travelers
  • Mike Trout Division
    • Beverly Hills Millionaires
    • Boise Bengals
    • Reno Diamondbacks
    • San Jose Coyotes
    • Tijuana Zorros
    • Vancouver Vikings

Practice Team

• Midland-Odessa Bisons

Rule Changes:

• Robot umps.
  • No foul balls.
  • Every hit bat is considered in play.
  • There is netting from foul pole to foul pole, the ball can be caught for an out off the netting.
  • Extra innings will start with a runner on 2nd base.
  • A pitch clock of 20 seconds, if violated, an automatic ball, and if a batter steps out of the box with 5 seconds or less, an automatic strike.
  • A home run over 400 feet will add 1 extra run (i.e. a Grand Slam that travels 400+ feet is 5 runs).
  • Instant replay has a sky judge, no umpire challenges, so if a robot ump gets a call wrong, a sky judge corrects it. It does not include balls and strikes.

TV:

• American and National League: NBC and NBCSN.
  • National and Federal League: Fox and Fox Sports 1.
  • American and Federal League: CBS and CBS Sports Network.
  • All Three: ABC and ESPN, Turner Sports (TNT, TBS, TruTV), WGN.

Playoffs:

• 32 teams make the playoffs, Top 3 in each division.
  • Seeds are determined by record regardless of division and league.
  • Playoff system goes as #1 vs #32, #3 vs #30, #5 vs #28, #7 vs #26, #9 vs #24, #11 vs 22, #13 vs 20, #15 vs #18 on one side of the bracket and #2 vs #31, #4 vs #29, #6 vs # 27, #8 vs #25, #10 vs #23, #12 vs #21, #14 vs #19, #16 vs #17 on the other side. First and Second Rounds are a best of 1, 3rd round is a best of three, Semi-Final is a best of 5, and the Millionaire World Series is a best of 7.
  • The championship rounds is called the Millionaire World Series which is a best of 7, the winning teams gets 1 million dollars, the players get huge bonuses, and a local charity of the team's choice also gets donated a million dollars.
Edited by TrueYankee26
Added Charlotte Cougars, put Midland-Odessa Bisons as a practice team ala Team 9 of the XFL

1 hour ago, TrueYankee26 said:

The Xtreme Baseball League.

A man got inspired seeing Vince McMahon's 2020 XFL relaunch and decided to bring that concept to the diamond.

American League

• Babe Ruth Division
    • Bronx Battalion
    • Hartford Dolphins
    • New York Lions (Manhattan, NY)
    • Richmond Rage
    • Washington Liberty
    • West Virginia Bobcats (Charleston, WV)
  • Frank Thomas Division
    • Atlanta Peach Cobblers
    • Cleveland Colonials
    • Detroit Motors
    • Jacksonville Gators
    • Miami Calor
    • San Antonio Rebeldes
  • George Brett Division
    • Chicago Butchers
    • Kansas City Monarchs
    • Louisville Stallions
    • Milwaukee Distillers
    • Minnesota Elks
    • St. Louis Knights
  • Ken Griffey Jr. Division
    • Denver Wolverines
    • Los Angeles Eagles
    • Phoenix Red Devils
    • Portland Castors
    • San Francisco Cardinals
    • Seattle Sailors

National League

• Jackie Robinson Division
    • Baltimore Vultures
    • Boston Blue Sox
    • Brooklyn Barons
    • Montreal Marauders
    • Philadelphia Phire
    • Washington Falcons
  • Ernie Banks Division
    • Chicago Bruins
    • Cincinnati Citadels
    • Memphis Anubians
    • Nashville Cowboys
    • Orlando Osceolas
    • Quebec Huskies
  • Nolan Ryan Division
    • Arizona Vipers
    • Dallas Wranglers
    • Denver Dynamo
    • Houston Hurricanes
    • Mexico City Aguilas
    • Oklahoma City Braves
  • Rickey Henderson Division
    • Anaheim Orange
    • Bakersfield Oilers
    • Las Vegas Neon Lights
    • Los Angeles Saints
    • Oakland Oaks
    • Salt Lake City Hornets

Federal League

• Willie Mays Division
    • Boston Minutemen
    • Buffalo Charge
    • Halifax Reivers
    • New York Gothams
    • Pittsburgh Iron Dragons
    • Toronto Titans
  • Mark McGwire Division
    • Chicago Checkers
    • Columbus Bucknuts
    • Indiana Pacesetters
    • St. Louis Red Robins
    • Tallahassee Crocodiles
    • Tampa Sharks
  • Mickey Mantle Division
    • El Paso Chihuahuas
    • Fort Worth Stampede
    • Little Rock Naturals
    • Midland-Odessa Bisons
    • New Orleans Krewe
    • Tulsa Travelers
  • Mike Trout Division
    • Beverly Hills Millionaires
    • Boise Bengals
    • Reno Diamondbacks
    • San Jose Coyotes
    • Tijuana Zorros
    • Vancouver Vikings

Rule Changes:

• Robot umps.
  • No foul balls.
  • Every hit bat is considered in play.
  • There is netting from foul pole to foul pole, the ball can be caught for an out off the netting.
  • Extra innings will start with a runner on 2nd base.
  • A pitch clock of 20 seconds, if violated, an automatic ball, and if a batter steps out of the box with 5 seconds or less, an automatic strike.
  • A home run over 400 feet will add 1 extra run (i.e. a Grand Slam that travels 400+ feet is 5 runs).
  • Instant replay has a sky judge, no umpire challenges, so if a robot ump gets a call wrong, a sky judge corrects it. It does not include balls and strikes.

TV:

• American and National League: NBC and NBCSN.
  • National and Federal League: Fox and Fox Sports 1.
  • American and Federal League: CBS and CBS Sports Network.
  • All Three: ABC and ESPN, Turner Sports (TNT, TBS, TruTV), WGN.

Playoffs:

• 32 teams make the playoffs, Top 3 in each division.
  • Seeds are determined by record regardless of division and league.
  • Playoff system goes as #1 vs #32, #3 vs #30, #5 vs #28, #7 vs #26, #9 vs #24, #11 vs 22, #13 vs 20, #15 vs #18 on one side of the bracket and #2 vs #31, #4 vs #29, #6 vs # 27, #8 vs #25, #10 vs #23, #12 vs #21, #14 vs #19, #16 vs #17 on the other side. First and Second Rounds are a best of 1, 3rd round is a best of three, Semi-Final is a best of 5, and the Millionaire World Series is a best of 7.
  • The championship rounds is called the Millionaire World Series which is a best of 7, the winning teams gets 1 million dollars, the players get huge bonuses, and a local charity of the team's choice also gets donated a million dollars.

Nice work! But all those teams in Florida, and you couldn’t put one in Charlotte? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Punchy_Gungus said:

Wow. That's a lot of work you've done here. All of this is amazing. Huge fan of the tournament style postseason and geographical divisions. I would love to argue about which teams deserve spots more, but I can tell teams were omitted and included based solely on location, which is a difficult business to sort out. Amazing work.

Thanks. One of my main gripes is the non-regional ways conferences have evolved. WVU in the Big XII and Notre Dame kinda-in the ACC is just weird. You could loosely view this as sort of a return to a simpler time (Big 8, Big East, etc) but with some central scheduling and league sensibilities.

Also, I originally wanted to go with a baseline of 50 teams, with one in each state. Then obviously layer some also-great teams from that state as well (Texas AND A&M, for example) but the challenge there is that a handful of states just don't have any good candidates (ME, VT, AK, DE). 

• Like 1

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Alternate History NFL scenario where the U.S went full-on Manifest Destiny at some point in the past and ate Canada. Alternatively, alternate history where Canada joined them during the Revolution. Basically, what the NFL would look like if the U.S and Canada were one in the same.

NFC East:

Philadelphia Eagles

Washington Redtails (or whatever they wind up naming them)

New York Giants

Dallas Cowboys

Montreal Allouettes

NFC North: 

Minnesota Vikings

Green Bay Packers

Chicago Bears

Detroit Lions

Toronto Argonauts

NFC South:

New Orleans Saints

Atlanta Falcons

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Carolina Panthers

Birmingham Barracudas

NFC West:

Los Angeles Rams

Seattle Seahawks

San Francisco 49ers

Arizona Cardinals

B.C Whales

AFC East:

New England Patriots

New York Jets

Buffalo Bills

Miami Dolphins

Ottawa Redblacks

AFC North:

Pittsburgh Steelers

Cleveland Browns

Cincinnati Bengals

Baltimore Ravens

Hamilton Tiger-Cats

AFC South:

Tennessee Titans

Jacksonville Jaguars

Indianapolis Colts

Houston Oilers

San Antonio Texans

AFC West:

Los Angeles Chargers

Las Vegas Raiders

Kansas City Chiefs

Denver Broncos

Calgary Stampeders

Unfortunately a lot of historical CFL teams are left out because of limited spots. obviously not going to include a team as far north as Canada in the south divisions, so two new teams in Birmingham and San Antonio are included for balance. For fun, they're named after defunct CFL teams from our timeline. The Oilers are the Oilers and not the Texans for the sake of San Antonio having that name. B.C has a different name because of Detroit.

Fly Eagles Fly, on the road to victory...

Philadelphia Eagles: NFL Champions in 1948, 1949, 1960, Super Bowl Champions in 2017-18. Philadelphia Phillies: World Series Champions in 1980 and 2008. Philadelphia 76ers: NBA Champions in 1966-67 and 1982-83. Philadelphia Flyers: Stanley Cup Champions in 1973-74, 1974-75

13 hours ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

Love concepts like these. The south, however, is way too powerful. Stick the longhorns in the central with Oklahoma

But then the exact problem they identified in the first post (Nebraska and Rutgers being ~1200 miles apart) basically is repeated with Wisconsin and Texas. Yeah, it becomes better for Nebraska (you could argue that Rutgers not being the Big 10 punching bag is better for them as well), but it makes things worse for Wisconsin. I'd argue the inclusion of Montana, North Dakota State and South Dakota State shouldn't be done, as the jump in competition from D1-FCS and D1-FBS is huge. Look at the initial struggles a very good Utah team had going from MVC to Pac-12. Especially when you can geographically keep those conferences the same with teams like Washington State or Oregon State instead of Montana, and Kansas State, Iowa State or Colorado State instead of the Dakotas.

On the flip side, I've always felt there was too much overlap with the ACC and SEC, so giving them a clear border is nice.

23 hours ago, officeglenn said:

Since there's no original uniform or logo artwork going on here, I'm going to move this in with the realignment thread in SiG.

Good to know a project that I spent a week on just got buried onto page 121 of an endless thread.  Guess that provides all the incentive I need to not post this kind of stuff anymore. 

I suppose technically, you can argue there's not original artwork, but it wasn't exactly a two sentence text-only post saying, "move Arkansas back to the SWC!"

UyDgMWP.jpg

Not really a realignment; just a proposed schedule tweak for the NHL when Seattle joins:

8 pods, 4 teams each
Teams play pod opponents 8 times (24)
Play everyone else twice (56)

Season schedule reduced by 2 games. Ticket prices can be bumped up if necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

A real crap tier, but potentially plausible NHL Realignment-

Now with 32 teams following Seattle's inclusion in 2021, East & West reconfigured in the American Hockey Conference (AHC) & National Hockey Conference (NHC)

AHC

NORTH

Calgary

Chicago

Minnesota

Winnipeg

EAST

Columbus

Detroit

Philadelphia

Toronto

SOUTH

Arizona

Dallas

St. Louis

Tampa Bay

WEST

Anaheim

Colorado

Las Vegas

Los Angeles

NHC

NORTH

Boston

Buffalo

Montreal

NY Rangers

EAST

New Jersey

NY Islanders

Ottawa

Pittsburgh

SOUTH

Carolina

Florida

Nashville

Washington

WEST

Edmonton

San Jose

Seattle

Vancouver

For :censored: and giggles I decided to do something based on the complete impossibility that both the Federal and Continental Leagues survived and joined MLB and eventually they got to 48 teams. Completely ignoring the lack of talent, lack of suitable markets, etc, and against my better judgement, here it is.

American League:

East:

Boston Red Sox

Montreal Royals (former Washington Senators, moved 1961)

Nashville Sounds (expansion, 1997)

New York Yankees

Norfolk Destroyers (expansion, 2013)

Orlando Challengers (expansion, 2013)

West:

Cleveland Blues

Detroit Tigers

Los Angeles Browns (former St. Louis Browns, moved 1942)

Phoenix Firebirds (expansion, 1997)

San Francisco Athletics (former Philadelphia Athletics, moved 1942)

Seattle White Sox (former Chicago White Sox)

National League:

East:

Cincinnati Reds

Jacksonville Suns (expansion, 1997)

Memphis Redbirds (expansion, 2013)

Milwaukee Braves (former Boston Braves, moved 1954)

Philadelphia Phillies

Pittsburgh Pirates

West:

Chicago Cubs

Dallas Giants (former New York Giants, moved 1958)

Las Vegas Aviators (expansion, 2013)

San Diego Padres (former Brooklyn Dodgers, moved 1958)

St. Louis Cardinals

Vancouver Canadians (expansion, 1997)

Federal League:

East:

Baltimore Terrapins

Buffalo Bisons

Charlotte Hornets (expansion, 1985)

Hartford Chiefs (former St. Louis Terriers, moved 1924)

Newark Peppers (former Indianapolis Hoosiers, moved 1924)

Tampa Bay Tarpons (expansion, 1985)

West:

Chicago Whales

Indianapolis Stars (former Washington Senators/Brooklyn Tip-Tops, moved 1972/1965)

Kansas City Packers

Louisville Colonels (expansion, 2005)

San Antonio Missions (expansion, 2005)

Oakland Oaks (former Pittsburgh Rebels, moved 1954)

Continental League:

East:

Atlanta Firecrackers

Miami Marlins (expansion, 1979)

Minnesota Twins

New York Mets

Toronto Metros

Washington Senators (expansion, 2005)

West:

Denver Bears

Houston Astros

Los Angeles Angels

New Orleans Pelicans

Portland Beavers (expansion, 1979)

Sacramento Solons (expansion, 2005)

As I made this I realized how unbalanced some of the leagues are, but it serves the purpose well enough as a bit of an experiment. For whatever reason, figuring out what to do with the Rebels was the hardest, since I had mostly filled up suitable cities in the '50s. Most of it is impractical and I work off some leaps of logic (I doubt the A's would've gone with the Browns to the west coast in '42, the AL has no Chicago team, the NL has no NY team, etc) but it was a fun little experiment.

• Like 3

the user formerly known as cdclt