The Pointless Realignment Outpost

Lee.

I actually don't know anything about the city or the market, I just hate when people say "city X deserves a team" (or variations of that.) What is the Bucks situation? I know it's been mentioned recently that Milwaukee is the smallest market in MLB, but I also know that market size is a little less important in hockey than in the more mainstream sports.

Well from what I've heard the Bucks aren't exactly the talk of the town. They have trouble generating interest from the fanbase, essentially. Though this may very well be the fault of a poor on-court product, it doesn't scream "lock" for the NHL.

EDIT-

Also, they seem to be having financial problems, if I remember correctly.

Edited by Ice_Cap

Not only do the Bucks have to contend with perennially successful college basketball programs in their midst, they fail to exploit the extended Wisconsin market that the Packers and Brewers have (and kinda need to have). You get past the suburbs and there are just too many people who traffic in worthless canards like "it's a streetball thug league" or "they don't try hard" or my personal favorite, "they don't play defense." The Bucks have a very nice arena that charges low rent and still doesn't make the team enough money, they want a new one, Milwaukee doesn't see fit to give them one. They're not long for this world, probably gone by 2015, all parties involved will be more than happy with Marquette holding down the fort, and kids who want to follow the NBA can just follow the Bulls like many of their elders seemed to do in the '90s.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I actually don't know anything about the city or the market, I just hate when people say "city X deserves a team" (or variations of that.) What is the Bucks situation? I know it's been mentioned recently that Milwaukee is the smallest market in MLB, but I also know that market size is a little less important in hockey than in the more mainstream sports.

Well from what I've heard the Bucks aren't exactly the talk of the town. They have trouble generating interest from the fanbase, essentially. Though this may very well be the fault of a poor on-court product, it doesn't scream "lock" for the NHL.

EDIT-

Also, they seem to be having financial problems, if I remember correctly.

I wouldn't say that the Bucks being the "talk of the town" has much to do wtih a potential NHL team's success (or lackthereof.)

Take the Sixers for example. NOBODY cares about the Sixers. They can't give away tickets. But the Flyers have a rabid fan base and sell out (or come damn close) the building every night. The "every day" fans are different for the most part (except for the 10k or so seats that are bought by the corporates.) When the sixers were in the finals, of course everyone had their car flags, and was a Sixers fan. Now, nobody knows they exist. They're overshadowed by at least three of the college programs here, maybe four.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

For those who preferred the NFL when they had 30 teams instead of 32, here's how I would've done it.

AFC East:

Buffalo Bills

Indianapolis Colts

Miami Dolphins

New England Patriots

New York Jets

AFC Central:

Baltimore Ravens

Cincinnati Bengals

Cleveland Browns

Houston Oilers

Pittsburgh Steelers

AFC West:

Denver Broncos

Kansas City Chiefs

Oakland Raiders

San Diego Chargers

Seattle Seahawks

NFC East:

Arizona Cardinals

Dallas Cowboys

New York Giants

Philadelphia Eagles

Washington Redskins

NFC Central:

Chicago Bears

Detroit Lions

Green Bay Packers

Minnesota Vikings

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

NFC West:

Atlanta Falcons

Carolina Panthers

Los Angeles Rams

New Orleans Saints

San Francisco 49ers

Man, those divisions were so messed up. It's like they had floating realignment.

Yeah, but remember, it was what the owners wanted simply because it was the only one with Dallas in the NFC East and Minnesota in the NFC Central.

So, if the old NFL alignment from 1970 through 2001 was like a floating one, somebody oughta step out and tell that to Selig before he pulls the trigger on his floating realignment plan.

I'm late to the party so here's my 2 cents for the MLB

NL CENTRAL

Chicago Cubs

Cincinnati Reds

Milwaukee Brewers

Pittsburgh Pirates

St. Louis Cardinals

NL WEST

Arizona Diamondbacks

Colorado Rockies

Houston Astros

Los Angeles Dodgers

San Francisco Giants

NL EAST

Atlanta Braves

Florida Marlins

New York Mets

Philadelphia Phillies

Washington Nationals

AL CENTRAL

Chicago White Sox

Cleveland Indians

Detroit Tigers

Kansas City Royals

Minnesota Twins

AL WEST

Anaheim Angels

Oakland A's

San Diego Padres

Seattle Mariners

Texas Rangers

AL EAST

Baltimore Orioles

Boston Red Sox

New York Yankees

Tampa Bay Rays

Toronto Blue Jays

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

This always bugged me in the NBA.

I know New Orleans was in the Southeast Division until Charlotte came back in to the league, Then the Hornets moved out west.

But why haven't Memphis and Milwaukee been swapped? Is it just because of Milwaukee's rivalry's with Chicago or whoever (If that's even a rivalry) and that they wanted to keep the Grizz in the West when the left from Vancouver.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I know New Orleans was in the Southeast Division until Charlotte came back in to the league, Then the Hornets moved out west.

But why haven't Memphis and Milwaukee been swapped? Is it just because of Milwaukee's rivalry's with Chicago or whoever (If that's even a rivalry) and that they wanted to keep the Grizz in the West when the left from Vancouver.

I'm guessing it is due to the proximity of the other teams in their divisions.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Before the Bobcats joined the league, there wasn't a Southeast Division. The Hornets were in the Central Division as they were in Charlotte until the Bobcats necessitated a 15th team in the West.

Why would Memphis and Milwaukee swap? Memphis is west of Milwaukee, and farther from Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago, and Indianapolis than Milwaukee is.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I have no idea what you're talking about. Before the Bobcats joined the league, there wasn't a Southeast Division. The Hornets were in the Central Division as they were in Charlotte until the Bobcats necessitated a 15th team in the West.

Why would Memphis and Milwaukee swap? Memphis is west of Milwaukee, and farther from Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago, and Indianapolis than Milwaukee is.

Actally, way back when, I remember reading that the Hornets had the option of moving into the Western Conference for the 2003-04 season (their second in New Orleans), or waiting until the 2004-05 season when the league would then have 30 teams.

They were smart to turn it down, as that first year in the West was on the verge of being historically bad.

I didn't know this, but during the 1989-90 season and for only this season, the Charlotte Hornets were placed in the Midwest Division of the Western Conference.

Even further, it seems that the late 1980/early 1990 expansion teams (Orlando, Miami, and Charlotte) all spent one season in the Midwest Division before settling into the Atlantic and Central Divisions.

Serious reel line mint discussion: Hypothetically, the New York Islaners move to Kansas City. Which Western Conference team jumps to the Eastern Conference? Columbus, Detroit, or maybe even Nashville?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Vancouver.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Serious reel line mint discussion: Hypothetically, the New York Islaners move to Kansas City. Which Western Conference team jumps to the Eastern Conference? Columbus, Detroit, or maybe even Nashville?

Hmmmm. Columbus is the farthest east, so I assume them.

But to make the divisions geographically pleasing, the northeast would have to be broken up, and move Buffalo, or Boston into the Atlantic.

Depends on where Phoenix ends up.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."