The Pointless Realignment Outpost

Lee.

This idea comes about partly due to the Coyotes' ownership situation being so odd.

Phoenix Coyotes move to AHL, and become the Canucks' new AHL affiliate.

Manitoba Moose move into Northwest Division, taking Phoenix's affiliates, and possibly renaming themselves the Jets.

Colorado moves to Pacific Division, taking Phoenix's vacated spot.

The rest of it is all mindless reel-line-mint.

Atlanta switches leagues with its AHL affiliate in Chicago. (The NHL players can stay in the NHL and vice versa.) The Wolves move into the Central Division, alongside the Blackhawks. There is a precedent for this; Chicago's MLB clubs get along just fine. I also think that a city with a metro population of 9.7 million people could easily support two NHL teams. As well, if any team was going to make a jump from the AHL to the NHL, I would think it would have to be the Wolves, because the team, unlike Atlanta, has actually won titles in its league, repeatedly. and they have their own TV deal!. Never mind that they are in the farm league to the NHL. If a team has a record of dominance, I think it deserves to be promoted to the next level.

Anyway, this move would now give the Central Division six teams. To fix that, Detroit moves back to the Eastern Conference, in the Northeast. This rekindles its Original Six rivalries. If the Wings want to schedule Chicago every year for a home-and-home, they can do so as well. Buffalo moves to the Atlantic Division, joining the Rangers as cross-state rivals. The beleaguered Islanders move to Kansas City's Sprint Center, and join the Central Division alongside St. Louis. Instant rivalry.

Now there are 6 teams in the Central and 4 in the Southeast, so we move Nashville.

New division structure:

Northwest: Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Minnesota

Central: Columbus, St. Louis, Kansas City, Chicago Wolves, Chicago Blackhawks

Pacific: Los Angeles, Anaheim, San Jose, Dallas, Colorado

Northeast: Detroit, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Boston

Atlantic: Buffalo, New York, New Jersey, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia

Southeast: Nashville, Washington, Florida, Tampa Bay, Carolina.

This idea comes about partly due to the Coyotes' ownership situation being so odd.

Phoenix Coyotes move to AHL, and become the Canucks' new AHL affiliate.

Manitoba Moose move into Northwest Division, taking Phoenix's affiliates, and possibly renaming themselves the Jets.

Colorado moves to Pacific Division, taking Phoenix's vacated spot.

The rest of it is all mindless reel-line-mint.

Atlanta switches leagues with its AHL affiliate in Chicago. (The NHL players can stay in the NHL and vice versa.) The Wolves move into the Central Division, alongside the Blackhawks. There is a precedent for this; Chicago's MLB clubs get along just fine. I also think that a city with a metro population of 9.7 million people could easily support two NHL teams. As well, if any team was going to make a jump from the AHL to the NHL, I would think it would have to be the Wolves, because the team, unlike Atlanta, has actually won titles in its league, repeatedly. and they have their own TV deal!. Never mind that they are in the farm league to the NHL. If a team has a record of dominance, I think it deserves to be promoted to the next level.

Anyway, this move would now give the Central Division six teams. To fix that, Detroit moves back to the Eastern Conference, in the Northeast. This rekindles its Original Six rivalries. If the Wings want to schedule Chicago every year for a home-and-home, they can do so as well. Buffalo moves to the Atlantic Division, joining the Rangers as cross-state rivals. The beleaguered Islanders move to Kansas City's Sprint Center, and join the Central Division alongside St. Louis. Instant rivalry.

Now there are 6 teams in the Central and 4 in the Southeast, so we move Nashville.

New division structure:

Northwest: Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Minnesota

Central: Columbus, St. Louis, Kansas City, Chicago Wolves, Chicago Blackhawks

Pacific: Los Angeles, Anaheim, San Jose, Dallas, Colorado

Northeast: Detroit, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Boston

Atlantic: Buffalo, New York, New Jersey, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia

Southeast: Nashville, Washington, Florida, Tampa Bay, Carolina.

Nice... but instead of Detroit, I would move Columbus to the Eastern Conference-Northeast Division, and move Boston to the Atlantic Division; meanwhile, I would rename the Pacific Division in the Western Conference, the Southwest Division.

YOZXkBG.png?1

Here's my proposal for MLB:

To ensure each league has an equal (but still even) number of teams, two teams are added to the American League, and the major league frontier is officially closed:

AMERICAN LEAGUE

North

Chicago White Sox

Cleveland Indians

Detroit Tigers

Minnesota Twins

South

Charlotte TBD

Kansas City Royals

Tampa Bay Rays

Texas Rangers

East

Baltimore Orioles

Boston Red Sox

New York Yankees

Toronto Blue Jays

West

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

Portland TBD

Oakland Athletics

Seattle Mariners

NATIONAL LEAGUE

North

Chicago Cubs

Cincinnati Reds

Milwaukee Brewers

St. Louis Cardinals

South

Arizona Diamondbacks

Atlanta Braves

Houston Astros

Miami Marlins

East

New York Mets

Philadelphia Phillies

Pittsburgh Pirates

Washington Nationals

West

Colorado Rockies

Los Angeles Dodgers

San Diego Padres

San Francisco Giants

bYhYmxh.png

When the NCAA moratorium on teams moving up I think a group of them should go up together as a pack:

• James Madison
  • Delaware
  • UMASS
  • ODU
  • Georgia State
  • Jacksonville State
  • Villanova
  • Georgia Southern

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

When the NCAA moratorium on teams moving up I think a group of them should go up together as a pack:

• James Madison
  • Delaware
  • UMASS
  • ODU
  • Georgia State
  • Jacksonville State
  • Villanova
  • Georgia Southern

And the Appalachian rules I-AA as God Emperor, correct?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Nice... but instead of Detroit, I would move Columbus to the Eastern Conference-Northeast Division, and move Boston to the Atlantic Division; meanwhile, I would rename the Pacific Division in the Western Conference, the Southwest Division.

So are you agreeing that Atlanta and Phoenix be demoted to the AHL? :flagcanada:

So are you agreeing that Atlanta and Phoenix be demoted to the AHL? :flagcanada:

I think that all Canadian teams should be contracted.

Mburmy:

Pretty good, I agree with Portland and Charlotte if there have to be two more teams, but why the insistence on four divisions of four? It's not nice. Why not two of eight?

AMERICAN LEAGUE

North

Chicago White Sox

Cleveland Indians

Detroit Tigers

Minnesota Twins

South

Charlotte TBD

Kansas City Royals

Tampa Bay Rays

Texas Rangers

East

Baltimore Orioles

Boston Red Sox

New York Yankees

Toronto Blue Jays

West

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

Portland TBD

Oakland Athletics

Seattle Mariners

NATIONAL LEAGUE

North

Chicago Cubs

Cincinnati Reds

Brewers

St. Louis Cardinals

SWh

Diamondbacks

East

Chicago, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Atlanta, NY Mets, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh

Colorado, LA Dodgers, San Diego, San Francisco, Houston, Arizona, Washington, Miami

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Mburmy:

Pretty good, I agree with Portland and Charlotte if there have to be two more teams, but why the insistence on eight divisions of four? It's not nice. I'd rather have four clunky divisions of eight than eight divisions of four.

AMERICAN LEAGUE

Expansion Circuit

Los Angeles, Portland, Oakland, Seattle, Texas, Toronto, Charlotte, Tampa Bay

Charter Circuit

Baltimore, Boston, New York, , Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Minnesota, Kansas City

NATIONAL LEAGUE

Expansion Circuit

Colorado, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Houston, Arizona, Washington, Miami

Charter Circuit

Chicago, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Atlanta, New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh

Mburmy:

Pretty good, I agree with Portland and Charlotte if there have to be two more teams, but why the insistence on eight divisions of four? It's not nice. I'd rather have four clunky divisions of eight than eight divisions of four.

AMERICAN LEAGUE

Expansion Circuit

Charter Circuit

Baltimore, Boston, New York, , Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Minnesota, Kansas City

NATIONAL LEAGUE

Expansion Circuit

Colorado, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Houston, Arizona, Washington, Miami

Charter Circuit

Chicago, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Atlanta, New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh

this was my suggestion before, but it got lost on the last page. TI would honestly prefer this to the current system. This way the postseason could be made up of the top two teams in each division. It would be the same number of playoff teams, but the teams would have balanced schedules. I chose to align geographically though.

PvO6ZWJ.png

If MLB does go back to the "2 divisions for each league" format, then I'd see it looking like this.

AMERICAN LEAGUE

East

• Baltimore
  • Boston
  • Charlotte
  • Cleveland
  • Detroit
  • New York Yankees
  • Tampa Bay
  • Toronto

West

• Chicago White Sox
  • Kansas City
  • Los Angeles Angels
  • Minnesota
  • Oakland
  • Portland
  • Seattle
  • Texas

NATIONAL LEAGUE

East

• Atlanta
  • Cincinnati
  • Miami
  • Milwaukee
  • New York Mets
  • Philadelphia
  • Pittsburgh
  • Washington

West

• Arizona
  • Chicago Cubs
  • Colorado
  • Houston
  • Los Angeles Dodgers
  • San Diego
  • San Francisco
  • St. Louis

YOZXkBG.png?1

If MLB does go back to the "2 divisions for each league" format, then I'd see it looking like this.

AMERICAN LEAGUE

East

• Baltimore
  • Boston
  • Charlotte
  • Cleveland
  • Detroit
  • New York Yankees
  • Tampa Bay
  • Toronto

West

• Chicago White Sox
  • Kansas City
  • Los Angeles Angels
  • Minnesota
  • Oakland
  • Portland
  • Seattle
  • Texas

NATIONAL LEAGUE

East

• Atlanta
  • Cincinnati
  • Miami
  • Milwaukee
  • New York Mets
  • Philadelphia
  • Pittsburgh
  • Washington

West

• Arizona
  • Chicago Cubs
  • Colorado
  • Houston
  • Los Angeles Dodgers
  • San Diego
  • San Francisco
  • St. Louis

This might be a tough decision based on the St. Louis - Chicago rivarly, but I would swap Milwaukee for Chicago Cubs.

Mburmy:

AMERICAN LEAGUE

Expansion Circuit

Charter Circuit

NATIONAL LEAGUE

Expansion Circuit

Charter Circuit

Wouldn't Oakland be part of the Charter Circuit as they started as the Philadelphia A's

Mburmy:

AMERICAN LEAGUE

Expansion Circuit

Charter Circuit

NATIONAL LEAGUE

Expansion Circuit

Charter Circuit

Wouldn't Oakland be part of the Charter Circuit as they started as the Philadelphia A's

I think the admiral's making some nods to geography and rivalries. The Giants and Dodgers are also in the Expansion Circuit.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Mburmy:

AMERICAN LEAGUE

Expansion Circuit

Charter Circuit

NATIONAL LEAGUE

Expansion Circuit

Charter Circuit

And, for the sake of argument, if you're sticking with "Charter" and "Expansion," it would make more sense to move LA and San Fran to Charter and Milwaukee and New York to Expansion.

Just my meaningless two cents. rolleyes.gif

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

I was trying to go with the cities on the circuits rather than the teams. I'm well aware that the Mets weren't established in 1876. Basically, the main idea was to recreate something between the pre-expansion National League and the NL East, and build from there. Going with a true charter/expansion division is truer to the definition, yes, but then you have divisions wherein the Dodgers and Giants see the Padres rarely, but the Pirates often. If you use the Mets as the stand-in for the Dodgers and Giants, and have Milwaukee AND the Braves stand in for the Milwaukee Braves, you get the closest thing to 1957 you're going to get. It's an imperfect system, but which isn't?

This might be a tough decision based on the St. Louis - Chicago rivarly, but I would swap Milwaukee for Chicago Cubs.

Milwaukee, St. Louis, and Chicago have to be in the same division. Milwaukee and Chicago have to be together because they're close and they like it that way. Chicago and St. Louis have to be together because duh. Brewers/Cardinals is a decent secondary rivalry as well, given that Brewers fans don't seem to like sanctimonious Cardinal goobers any more than we do.

I hear what you're saying on the Brewers, Cubs, and Cardinals being in the same division, admiral.

With that said...

AMERICAN LEAGUE

East

• Baltimore Orioles
  • Boston Red Sox
  • New York Yankees
  • Toronto Blue Jays

North

• Chicago White Sox
  • Cleveland Indians
  • Detroit Tigers
  • Minnesota Twins

South

• Charlotte MLB expansion team
  • Kansas City Royals
  • Tampa Bay Rays
  • Texas Rangers

West

• Los Angeles Angels
  • Oakland A's
  • Portland MLB expansion team
  • Seattle Mariners

NATIONAL LEAGUE

East

• New York Mets
  • Philadelphia Phillies
  • Pittsburgh Pirates
  • Washington Nationals

North

• Chicago Cubs
  • Colorado Rockies
  • Milwaukee Brewers
  • St. Louis Cardinals

South

• Atlanta Braves
  • Cincinnati Reds
  • Florida Marlins
  • Houston Astros

West

• Arizona Diamondbacks
  • Los Angeles Dodgers
  • San Diego Padres
  • San Francisco Giants

(NOTE: might be strange to see the Kansas City Royals in the AL South, the Cincinnati Reds in the NL South, and the Colorado Rockies in the NL North, but this alignment might work)

YOZXkBG.png?1

I've come up with a cool idea for an NBA re-alignment, provided that two more teams enter the league (Kansas City expansion franchise and revival of the Sonics). This would necessitate one team moving east, with Memphis being the likely candidate.

WEST:

California Division: Lakers, Clippers, Kings, Warriors

Northwest Division: Sonics, Blazers, Nuggets, Jazz

Southwest Division: Suns, Mavs, Spurs, Rockets

Midwest Division: Wolves, Thunder, Kansas City team, Hornets

EAST:

Northeast Division: Celtics, Knicks, Raptors, Nets (or whatever their name will be in a couple years)

Mid-Atlantic Divison: Cavs, Wizards, Bobcats, Sixers

Central Division: Bulls, Pistons, Bucks, Pacers

Southeast Division: Magic, Heat, Grizzlies, Hawks