2017-18 NCAA Football Thread

dfwabel

11 hours ago, DScruggy729 said:

Hindsight is 20/20 you know. Sorry I had questions about a team replacing DeShaun Watson and his best receivers from last year a month before the season. 

That said, Clemson looks like they're going to run roughshod through the ACC, and maybe everyone else besides Alabama. Tech isn't going to fare any better than Louisville did against these guys. 

Alabama looks like it's leaning more on Hurts running the ball than throwing it. What Clemson did to a QB that is more accurate is what would most likely happen to Alabama. 

14 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Tennessee hasn't been very good since Butch Jones came out with that "Champions of Life" line.....

13 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Yikes, LSU...

These guys are the epitome of "laying on their laurels". LSU hasn't been a national power since 2012 and Tennessee just rolls out the welcome mat to Bama and Florida every year then tells everyone they're getting better.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Alabama looks like it's leaning more on Hurts running the ball than throwing it. What Clemson did to a QB that is more accurate is what would most likely happen to Alabama.

Alabama actually has a half decent offensive line. Louisville's doesn't look a great deal better than last year when it was a major liability.

I think Clemson's real good but a win over Louisville doesn't move the needle much for me given how Louisville finished last year. 

IUe6Hvh.png

1 hour ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Remember when Nebraska was a top tier football program?

For some perspective...

When Nebraska won their split national title in 1997, there were just 112 FBS teams, now there are 130. Five of those new schools are located where Nebraska got a lot of their skill players: Florida (FIU, FAU, South Florida) and Texas (Texas State and UTSA). Then there was that whole issue of the entire state running the flexbone during the Devaley/Osbourne/Solich era which has now only has Paul Johnson and his coaching tree actively running.  Plus, during the 80's-90's, controversial strength coach Boyd Epley was out there giving players steroids like Bubble Yum.

39 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Remember when Nebraska was a top tier football program?

And they are in the very weak B1G West.   They should be able to dominate it every year and the consistent trips to the B1G title game should propel them to prominence.  It's set up for them perfectly.

So far, Wisconsin's closest to taking advantage of it, with Nebraska hanging around Iowa and Northwestern.  I envision Minnesota winning the West maybe next year.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

And they are in the very weak B1G West.   They should be able to dominate it every year and the consistent trips to the B1G title game should propel them to prominence.  It's set up for them perfectly.

So far, Wisconsin's closest to taking advantage of it, with Nebraska hanging around Iowa and Northwestern.  I envision Minnesota winning the West maybe next year.

They cannot dominate as they cannot get the same out of state players they once did. Wisconsin has better access to the talent pool, as does Minnesota to a degree.  

America's Team just quieted Iowa City.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

A few things from my point of view..

-Never, ever, ever, EVER call out Alabama... you will regret it. Vanderbilt became the latest school to fall victim to this and what might be the worst way possible: An absolute massacre on national television. Let this be a lesson to everybody in the SEC and probably the nation: Call out Alabama at your own risk.

-Probably consider that NC State's upset of Florida State may have to do with the fact that the Seminoles are rusty.. very rusty. Their game with UL-Monroe got cancelled and the following game with Miami (Florida) got moved to a different date. The Hurricanes had the same issues, but managed to get past the wall against Toledo.

-TCU's win over Oklahoma State was more impressive then what Oklahoma did. The Sooners had to hold off a hard charging Baylor team that is the literal definition of snake bitten. What TCU did though was winning at a team that's just as good in Oklahoma State... It makes the TCU-Oklahoma match up in November look even better and with the Big 12 having a championship game once again, the chance for a rematch could be even more awesome.

-Am I the only one that thinks that Mississippi State is a paper bulldog? I know the saying is paper tiger, but come on... couldn't resist.

Archived