dfwabel

2017-18 NCAA Football Thread

Recommended Posts

Yeah, I was willing to give ol' Eddie O the benefit of the doubt, too, even after that Mississippi State loss because that was in-conference. But they down there getting ran over by Troy State...in Baton Rouge. Yikes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Buc said:

Yeah, I was willing to give ol' Eddie O the benefit of the doubt, too, even after that Mississippi State loss because that was in-conference. But they down there getting ran over by Troy State...in Baton Rouge. Yikes.

Congrats to LSU and Tennessee for surely getting new coaches for 2018. 

 

As a Sun Belt fan, I think it should be pointed out that Troy is now doomed to fail in conference. Off the top of my head, every team to upset a team from a major conference has failed to win the conference. Troy over Mizzou, ULM over Alabama and Arkansas, Middle Tennessee over Georgia Tech, or South Alabama over Mississippi State (also a then-top 25 SDSU), or even my Arkansas State Red Wolves when they beat Texas A&M. 

 

I don't know why it is this way, but boy does it make the conference look like crap when the teams that do well out of conference get beat by teams that don't. Like last year when Arkansas State went 0-4 in non conference (including an FCS loss), only to win a share of the conference title. And we did at least beat the tar out of UCF in the bowl game, so there is that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oregon got the win over Cal but lost so many players tonight.  Before the game, they were already without a starting TE, WR, and LB.  During the game, they lost their top 2 QBs, starting RB, a starting WR, and a starting LB.  Plus, they lost a starting safety to a targeting penalty in the first quarter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Congrats to LSU and Tennessee for surely getting new coaches for 2018. 

 

As a Sun Belt fan, I think it should be pointed out that Troy is now doomed to fail in conference. Off the top of my head, every team to upset a team from a major conference has failed to win the conference. Troy over Mizzou, ULM over Alabama and Arkansas, Middle Tennessee over Georgia Tech, or South Alabama over Mississippi State (also a then-top 25 SDSU), or even my Arkansas State Red Wolves when they beat Texas A&M. 

 

I don't know why it is this way, but boy does it make the conference look like crap when the teams that do well out of conference get beat by teams that don't. Like last year when Arkansas State went 0-4 in non conference (including an FCS loss), only to win a share of the conference title. And we did at least beat the tar out of UCF in the bowl game, so there is that. 

LSU should be interesting.  If they toss out Ogeron after one year, they better have a top 25 coach ready to walk on stage and take the job. Otherwise they'll look worse than they did latching on to Ogeron without pitting up the job for applications. If Saban weren't still at Bama you'd get better applicants. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgot to mention, in one of the most heart warming stories the first month of this season, Baylor has gotten off to a 0-5 start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

LSU should be interesting.  If they toss out Ogeron after one year, they better have a top 25 coach ready to walk on stage and take the job. Otherwise they'll look worse than they did latching on to Ogeron without pitting up the job for applications. If Saban weren't still at Bama you'd get better applicants. 

 

The buyout for Orgeron this year is $12 million for a program that's already paying Les Miles' buyout which was around the same amount.  And this would be on top of the next coaches salary.  I think this keeps Orgeron safe for the year.  He probably shouldn't be but that's the reality of it.  It was just such a bad hire from the get-go.

 

If you fire a coach like Les Miles (even if it was clearly time to do so) and then have to fire his replacement a year later, the AD has to go with him.  And then you consider how badly they bungled the Les Miles situation before that.  dfwabel is probably right about Joe Alleva.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2017 at 10:33 AM, osctheg said:

Wazzu is 5-0 and beat USC. My life now has purpose.

 

Hopefully, that purpose includes a beating from Washington in the Apple Cup for trying to upstage the Huskies. Spewgar fans should know their place by now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, NC State realized they really bring pressure with just four.

 

Yet they made a Will Muschamp offense look great in Week 1. WTF??

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

 

Hopefully, that purpose includes a beating from Washington in the Apple Cup for trying to upstage the Huskies. Spewgar fans should know their place by now...

Not happening this year. I have excuses for the last six losses to Udub.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ghosts of Stoops remain in Norman....Oklahoma falls at home to Iowa State.

 

Georgia just keeps climbing up that ladder!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow that was a great win for the Cyclones. Oklahoma was obviously looking too far forward to next weeks game, took their foot off of the gas, and just let it slip through their fingers. They said several times in the highlights that Oklahoma was on the way to their 15th straight win. Oops! This is a VERY bad loss for the Sooners, and it's not too good for Ohio State, either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the weekly SEC Hot Seat Watch™ presented by Johnsonville® ("we have buyout money, don't worry about it."), DACOACHO is safe for now, but the biggest boy Bret in Arkansas is running out of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Commentators on the UW/Cal game were just having an in-depth conversation about the time Washington games are aired on TV, PAC-12 TV deals, and the importance of schedule flexibility for broadcasting networks. It was prompted by a quote from Chris Petersen complaining about being on so late for the east coast, but the whole exchange was still weird.

 

Do people on the east coast not enjoy late night football?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now