2017-18 NCAA Football Thread

dfwabel

Josh Rosen deliberately tries to sink his draft stock and being a Jet while torching the NCAA and his Athletic Dept at the same time. I like him more and more each time he speaks out.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2722587-josh-rosen-qa-ucla-qb-on-injuries-ncaa-and-post-nfl-goal-to-own-the-world

B/R: Look at the bright side: You got a chance to heal, maybe catch up on school.

Rosen: Don't get me started. I love school, but it's hard. It's cool because we're learning more applicable stuff in my major (Economics)—not just the prerequisite stuff that's designed to filter out people. But football really dents my ability to take some classes that I need. There are a bunch of classes that are only offered one time. There was a class this spring I had to take, but there was a conflict with spring football, so...

B/R: So football wins out?

Rosen: Well, you can say that.

B/R: So that's reality for student-athletes playing at a major university?

Rosen: I didn't say that, you did. (Laughs.) Look, football and school don't go together. They just don't. Trying to do both is like trying to do two full-time jobs. There are guys who have no business being in school, but they're here because this is the path to the NFL. There's no other way. Then there's the other side that says raise the SAT eligibility requirements. OK, raise the SAT requirement at Alabama and see what kind of team they have. You lose athletes and then the product on the field suffers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reminder: Next Saturday is Week 0 and the season begins.

Plus...

1-More trouble for Hugh Freeze as he had contact with a "disassociated booster" over 200 times.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sec/2017/08/18/hugh-freeze-phone-calls-mississippi-booster-phone-records/580663001/

2- On Friday, Penn State gave James Franklin an extension and raise the same day one of his former Vanderbilt players was sentenced to 15 years for the rape under his watch and lied to the team about seeing the video plus contacted the victim.

3- And there's still no money to pay players above cost of attendance.

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/oklahoma-football-gets-flashy-160-million-upgrade-stadium-and-facilities

9 hours ago, smzimbabwe said:

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a Gasparilla?

Basically, it's Tampa's January* holiday (but not St. Petersburg, where the game is and where teams stay) concerning "pirates" who takeover the city. There are krewes, a bit similar to Mobile and New Orleans have with Mardi Gras. Like New Orleans' Mardi Gras, the late 80's/early 90's both cities had endured racial tensions as public monies were going to private krewes (groups) who would discriminate in not inviting minority or female members.

*-It used to be the second Monday in February and a school holiday for 80% of the county schools, but moved to Saturday in 1988.

Reminder, games begin tomorrow with FCS Texas Southern @ FAMU and Colorado State opening their stadium against Oregon State.

Charlie Strong takes USF cross country to play San Jose State and Stanford/Rice is in Sydney.

Due to Hurricane Harvey, Sunday's Richmond (#7 FCS) @ Sam Houston State (#3) game set for ESPNU as been postponed.

24 minutes ago, BlackBolt3 said:

I'm sure Cougar fans will take in all the Big Easy has to offer!

BYU sold 10K+ tickets for Houston. They'll be lucky to get half that to New Orleans.

Airlines will waive change fees but unless your ticket is on Southwest, you cannot change to fly OK in/out of Dallas and drive the 6-7 hours.

I know you wanted to get your facts in, but it just a joke that BYU fans, due to their predominantly Mormon fan base, are likely limited in what they can do for fun in New Orleans, a city while beautiful and full of culture, is known for drinking and partying.

And that was today in Joke Explanation Theatre.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

7 minutes ago, BlackBolt3 said:

I know you wanted to get your facts in, but it just a joke that BYU fans, due to their predominantly Mormon fan base, are likely limited in what they can do for fun in New Orleans, a city while beautiful and full of culture, is known for drinking and partying.

Not to mention that Labor Day weekend is the annual occurrence of Southern Decadence in the French Quarter, one of the country's largest LGBTQ festivals....

It is what it is.

14 minutes ago, BlackBolt3 said:

Well, you know what they say... every party needs a pooper and dfwabel is it. Party pooper.... party pooper.

A rare double post, but have to keep updated for news involving Hurricane Harvey...

Of course, the big one being BYU vs. LSU now being in New Orleans. As for other games in the area...

-Houston at UTSA has been postponed. Two dates being thrown around for the game, since both teams do not share a common bye week, are Nov. 11th (UTSA would move it's game with UAB to Sept. 30th to make up for this) and Dec. 2nd. It'll be more likely in December since the 30th of September sees the Alamodome occupied by the Home and Garden Show

-Richmond and Sam Houston State will play on Friday in Waco.

-Prairie View at Texas Southern has been moved to Thanksgiving Weekend

-Houston Baptist at Texas State is still on for Saturday

20 hours ago, BlackBolt3 said:

so long and thanks for all the fish.

Prediction time! 

(Not that anybody cares) 

ACC: Florida State 

Big 12: Kansas State 

Big Ten: Ohio State 

PAC-12: Stanford 

SEC: Alabama 

College Football Playoff: 

1) Alabama def. 4) Stanford 

3) Ohio State def. 2) Florida State 

3) Ohio State def. 1) Alabama