2017-18 NCAA Football Thread

dfwabel

1 hour ago, DScruggy729 said:

Of all the games... UCLA drops one to Memphis? I thought they were actually starting to get their :censored: together. 

Haha no no, it's still UCLA football. And it's beautiful.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmm, Florida throws the ball deep...wins the game. Honestly, after that clock gaff by the Gators, I though we were headed for OT and a Vols win. 

I know McElwain's is basically a mesh of elements of three or four offensive styles, with window-dressing/deception being the foundation, but it's quite apparent it's not really working SEC, at least not consistently. Gators are relying too much on their defense. Yes, they are good, but when they're on the field for 3/4 of the game they're eventually going to get tired and burned.

Florida needs to pick an offensive style. In my opinion, the athletes are built for the spread. I think McElwain should let the offense loose, he has athletes (Cleveland, Powell, and if/when Calloway returns) to succeed in this offense. He doesn't have the players or schemes to run the current style of offense. Franks is young and a freshman but he has an arm on him, let him throw the ball.

On 08/04/2017 at 7:57 AM, DScruggy729 said:

Is it just me or is Clemson a little high? #5 seems like a reach considering all they are going to have to replace from last year's team. 

Seeing Brent Venable's defense after three weeks, wanna rethink your opinion?

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

Seeing Brent Venable's defense after three weeks, wanna rethink your opinion?

Hindsight is 20/20 you know. Sorry I had questions about a team replacing DeShaun Watson and his best receivers from last year a month before the season. 

That said, Clemson looks like they're going to run roughshod through the ACC, and maybe everyone else besides Alabama. Tech isn't going to fare any better than Louisville did against these guys. 

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Caught the end of the Battle for the Victory Bell (Miami vs Cincinnati) after work. A pretty epic collapse by Miami leads to two touchdowns in less than 3 minutes and a 4 point loss for the Redhawks. They can (and probably will) say something about the officiating at the end of the game (there were a couple of pretty questionable decisions), but when you're up 11 with less than three minutes left, you should win that game. 

If you're up 4 with less than 2 minutes left, have the ball, and need a first down to seal the game, you should also probably win that game. Instead, Miami took a delay of game penalty because the HC told the ref he was going to call timeout and then didn't actually do it, I guess? 3rd and 2 becomes 3rd and 7. Miami throws a pick 6. 

Even with that, Miami had a chance to win it right at the end. The refs waved off a PI call in the endzone that was questionable (the defender had his arm around the receiver long before the ball got there.) The Bearcats have won this thing for 12 straight years.  

Archived