Dallas Cowboys going dark at home?

buzzcut

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The team in white always looks better; and the home team should be displaying its best look.

This only works for the Dolphins and Redskins. Everyone else can't get away with white at home for an entire season.

What's holding the Cowboys back from being a truly great look is the damn pants. The pants SUCK.

bSLCtu2.png

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It's hard for a football uniform to be iconic like a baseball one is.  For one thing, the numbers, which take up the most real estate, make literally each jersey on a given team look different.  Also, besides the recent trend of neck wordmarks, there's not always a team-identifying mark (if the team has no sleeve logos for example.)

I'd argue that the Steelers black, Cowboys white, Raiders black, and Packers green probably qualify as iconic.

It's a bigger list if we're just talking helmets tho.

But what makes the Cowboys white uniforms iconic? First of all, they have changed many times over the years. Also, I'd venture to say that most people don't like them. They are distinguishable bit not iconic. The helmet certainly could qualify as iconic.

13 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

This only works for the Dolphins and Redskins. Everyone else can't get away with white at home for an entire season.

Skins stopped wearing white jerseys at home after the 2009 season. Unless there's a handful of games I'm forgetting, they've only worn their burgundy jerseys at home this entire decade.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Now that I think about it, I can't remember the last time I saw a white Cowboys jersey on the street. I see the throwback style generally and I know I've seen the regular blue ones, but yeah, can't recall seeing the white, huh. Interesting. (this is in Denver, I probably see 1-2 a month)

16 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Skins stopped wearing white jerseys at home after the 2009 season. Unless there's a handful of games I'm forgetting, they've only worn their burgundy jerseys at home this entire decade.

White over Burgundy was the away uniform for 2016. I think white at home will make a comeback for the team in 2017 based on how well received it was. It's been long enough without it that it should return for home games now.

bSLCtu2.png

Cowboys originally wore white to give their fans a treat.

Instead of seeing white vs. blue every home game, they'd see white vs. burgundy, white vs. green, white vs. red, white vs. black, etc. etc. It was worn to break it up for the home crowd.

The Cowboys in white is what feels right. If they changed the design of their blue jerseys (ideally a lighter blue as well), I think it'd be cool for them to wear them a couple times a year sort of like fellow white at home football team LSU does with their purple jerseys. 

19 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

White over Burgundy was the away uniform for 2016. I think white at home will make a comeback for the team in 2017 based on how well received it was. It's been long enough without it that it should return for home games now.

Not happening. Burgundy jerseys at home will remain the norm as long as Bruce Allen remains the team's president. I'm convinced he made that part of his contract, because it seems like Dan Snyder has never attempted to pull rank over Allen when it comes to the uniforms. Luckily they've allowed white over burgundy to return as the road set this past season.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

53 minutes ago, rjrrzube said:

Cowboys originally wore white to give their fans a treat.

Instead of seeing white vs. blue every home game, they'd see white vs. burgundy, white vs. green, white vs. red, white vs. black, etc. etc. It was worn to break it up for the home crowd.

That's what they said at first, but a few years back Tex Schramm admitted to another reason.  It was TV marketing.  By wearing white at home (and since at the time, every other team wore dark at home) the Cowboys always appeared the same on TV.  And in photos.  Every other team had two uniforms, so two different looks. But the Cowboys basically just had one uniform.  One single image that always said "Dallas Cowboys", like every game was a home game. That's actually really clever branding.  And that's why I doubt they'd ever really give it up.

9 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

That's what they said at first, but a few years back Tex Schramm admitted to another reason.  It was TV marketing.  By wearing white at home (and since at the time, every other team wore dark at home) the Cowboys always appeared the same on TV.  And in photos.  Every other team had two uniforms, so two different looks. But the Cowboys basically just had one uniform.  One single image that always said "Dallas Cowboys", like every game was a home game. That's actually really clever branding.  And that's why I doubt they'd ever really give it up.

Then the Cowboys white uniform qualifies as an iconic look. It's certainly one of the NFL's signature uniforms. I think some people in this thread are equating iconic = good, which isn't necessarily the case. 

However, I'd be thrilled if the Cowboys ever saw one of your Cowboys' uniform concepts and decided to adopt them. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

A few years back? Tex died in 2003! ;)

Navy is the Cowboys' best uniform. The stars, the matching silver pants, it matches the navy endzone and a lot more in the "new" stadium, etc.

The white has nostalgia, but has become a mess.

3 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

What's holding the Cowboys back from being a truly great look is the damn pants. The pants SUCK.

I think it works well with the new Jags set as well. I love the white jersey, black sleeves and teal numbers with white pants and black socks. 

The navy blue Cowboys set is by far the better uniform. It would be a damn shame if the Cowboys turned their backs on history and didn't wear white at home as much. 

Both of these can be true at the same time. 

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It's hard for a football uniform to be iconic like a baseball one is.  For one thing, the numbers, which take up the most real estate, make literally each jersey on a given team look different.  Also, besides the recent trend of neck wordmarks, there's not always a team-identifying mark (if the team has no sleeve logos for example.)

I'd argue that the Steelers black, Cowboys white, Raiders black, and Packers green probably qualify as iconic.

It's a bigger list if we're just talking helmets tho.

The only iconic baseball uniform is the Yankees. the rest are just a blur of whites and grays. Baseball uniforms, up until 10-15 years ago, have been extremely bland and lifeless. Once baseball got with the :censored:ing times and actually allowed teams to use COLORS in their uniforms, it got a lot better. 

“Originally, the white at home started with the heat, especially at Texas Stadium,” McCord told FOX Sports. “As hot as it could be for our late-August, early-September games, I think the heat was a big factor, and one of those things was making the other teams wear darker jerseys on the road, as well as standing in the sun on the sidelines in the old stadium was a huge factor in that. So any time you’re wearing darker colors, it tends to retain the heat. So that was a big part of why the Cowboys wore white jerseys at home.”

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/dallas-cowboys-nfl-uniforms-mismatched-gray-blue-home-away-throwback-thanksgiving-changes-061317

The navy set has real silver pants instead of that sea-foam crap they wear with their whites. I'm good with the change.

10 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

But what makes the Cowboys white uniforms iconic? First of all, they have changed many times over the years. Also, I'd venture to say that most people don't like them. They are distinguishable bit not iconic. The helmet certainly could qualify as iconic.

The whites are mostly iconic due to the 70s when they were coined "America's Team" by NFL Films. There used to be jokes that the Cowboys wore white because they represented the "light" or "good guys", whereas darker uniforms were seen as "villainous". While the concept of morality was not the purpose of wearing white at home (they first started wearing whites due to the heat, then to see uniform parity), the phenomenon caught fire and has stuck with the team. The 90s dynasty only further established their brand.

I'd add the Bears and maybe the Jets to that. 

Bears yes, Jets no. The partnership with Nike ruined their classic look. The Giant's home blues would be a better choice IMO.

NSFCvyu.png

Archived