Dallas Cowboys going dark at home?

buzzcut

5 minutes ago, JWhiz96 said:

The navy set has real silver pants instead of that sea-foam crap they wear with their whites. I'm good with the change.

The whites are mostly iconic due to the 70s when they were coined "America's Team" by NFL Films. There used to be jokes that the Cowboys wore white because they represented the "light" or "good guys", whereas darker uniforms were seen as "villainous". While the concept of morality was not the purpose of wearing white at home (they first started wearing whites due to the heat, then to see uniform parity), the phenomenon caught fire and has stuck with the team. The 90s dynasty only further established their brand.

Read the article that I posted. Has nothing to do with the moniker.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guess I'm in the camp where I like it when SOME teams wear white at home, like the Rams did last season.  Even though they're still the St. Louis jerseys I actually liked the look.  Guess they'll be wearing white in Dallas this year lol!

IMG_4562.JPG

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

5 minutes ago, #ConceptLeagues said:

Read the article that I posted. Has nothing to do with the moniker.

I did, but the question was responding to was "how are their uniforms iconic?" I know full well the history of the Cowboys' whites (as I acknowledged in my post), but I was giving reasons as to why many call their uniforms iconic. I did not dispute the actual reasons why they've been worn.

As for whites at home in sports leagues, meh. Baseball and basketball look much better with whites at home, but hockey is even, and football looks much better with darker home uniforms IMO.

NSFCvyu.png

I am generally in favor of dark uniforms at home - even in basketball! - but I am fine with the Cowboys wearing white at home, given that it is a (fairly) unique tradition of theirs. When you think of the Cowboys, you undoubtedly think of them in their white jerseys. Although a deeply flawed uniform, it is iconic in that regard.

They're only a few simple tweaks off from having a truly great white uniform though. Standardize the color blue across all application on the uniform to match the shade that the likes of Roger Staubach and Bob Hayes wore (i.e. the 1964 shade of blue). Standardize the silver color across the uniform and pants, to match the current silver shade of the helmets (the aqua-silver on the Cowboys' pants is a hideous shade of silver). Bring back the serifs on the numbers. Not that the blue uniforms are seen often, but make the blue uniform an inverse of the updated white uniform. And, less obviously, get rid of the weird pinching in the collar area:

274784188_431f67795d.jpg?v=0

Seriously, what on Earth is up with that collar? It looks hideous.And to think the Cowboys do that intentionally!

6 hours ago, FSUViking said:

The only iconic baseball uniform is the Yankees. the rest are just a blur of whites and grays. Baseball uniforms, up until 10-15 years ago, have been extremely bland and lifeless. Once baseball got with the :censored:ing times and actually allowed teams to use COLORS in their uniforms, it got a lot better. 

Kind of ironic to decry traditional uniforms while lionizing the Yankees. 

Also: the Dodgers?  If there's any iconic baseball uniform they qualify.  I'd also add the Giants to that list, the Cubs, the White Sox, and the Mets.

12 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Kind of ironic to decry traditional uniforms while lionizing the Yankees. 

Also: the Dodgers?  If there's any iconic baseball uniform they qualify.  I'd also add the Giants to that list, the Cubs, the White Sox, and the Mets.

And Red Sox, Cardinals, Tigers, Braves, probably the Pirates, just to name a few more. I'd argue that baseball, largely due to its adherence to traditional home uniforms, has more 'iconic' uniforms than any other sport. And not coincidentally, MLB has the best set of uniforms across the big four, IMO.

2 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Good call on those.  I had left the Red Sox off only because they've tweaked the details so much (undersleeve color, etc).  But setting aside some of those clubs' regrettable alternates, I really can't argue with your list. 

Yeah, I was hesitant to mention them as being "iconic" for the same exact reason. Though I find most average fans of baseball don't even realize that the Red Sox switched their undersleeve color and sock design. I've mentioned the fact that I prefer the Red Sox old striped socks and navy undershirts to a couple of fans who are not uniform nerds at all, and they were completely befuddled - they never noticed that the Sox had ever made those changes. (Perhaps more to the point, they're so accustomed to seeing red undershirts and socks that they forgot/didn't notice that the Sox once wore something different.) I don't remember many (if any) people talking about those changes when they were made around 2004, either (outside of this board, obviously). So I'm not sure that those changes detracted from the Sox's home uniform's 'iconicness' in the eyes of most fans.

There's actually been a decent amount of tinkering with some of baseball's 'classic' home uniforms over the past 25 or so years - the Giants changing to a radial script and cream uniforms (and no NOB), the Mets adding and later dropping black dropshadows, and their protracted experimentation with 'snow white' uniforms, the Dodgers adding an unnecessary "LA" patch, the Pirates switching between sleeved and vest uniforms, etc. The Red Sox undershirt and sock updates probably fall into that category. The basic design remaining the same, but some of the details significantly changing.

12 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It's hard for a football uniform to be iconic like a baseball one is.  For one thing, the numbers, which take up the most real estate, make literally each jersey on a given team look different.  Also, besides the recent trend of neck wordmarks, there's not always a team-identifying mark (if the team has no sleeve logos for example.)

I'd argue that the Steelers black, Cowboys white, Raiders black, and Packers green probably qualify as iconic.

It's a bigger list if we're just talking helmets tho.

I would add the Bears' navy to the list, but yeah.

1 minute ago, Ice_Cap said:

I would add the Bears' navy to the list, but yeah.

Yeah, looking across the NFL, there's very few truly 'iconic' uniforms, probably for two reasons: the first being what @BringBackTheVet was saying about front numbers (which is absolutely true), and the second being that so many NFL teams have tinkered with, or completely changed, their historic looks over time. Case in point, I'd argue that there's way more 'iconic' looks in college football than at the professional level (Alabama, Nebraska, Penn State, Notre Dame, USC, Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, etc., all jump to mind immediately) - traditional powerhouse programs tend not to update or tinker with their uniforms much at all.

If you look at the earliest colour footage of NFL or AFL games, such as on this YouTube channel, there are many teams whose looks just jump right out at you: Cowboys, Chiefs, Raiders, Cardinals, Cowboys, Vikings, Bears, Packers, Browns, Colts, and more.  

Some teams didn't get to their most identifiable looks until a little later (Rams, Eagles). Some did some variation, and then returned to a more recognisable state (Giants, Jets, Redskins).  Some had powerful looks which they inexplicably abandoned for inferior ones (Broncos, Falcons, Chargers, Bucs).  

But, by the mid 1970s, the visual landscape of football was more-or-less set; someone with no knowledge of that period looking at a film from back then would be able to identify the vast majority of the teams at a glance. 

So, I'd say that there are plenty of NFL looks that qualify as iconic.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, kroywen said:

Yeah, looking across the NFL, there's very few truly 'iconic' uniforms, probably for two reasons: the first being what @BringBackTheVet was saying about front numbers (which is absolutely true), and the second being that so many NFL teams have tinkered with, or completely changed, their historic looks over time.

I think the reason that so many football teams have tinkered with iconic uniforms is because no other sport has seen its basic uniform style change so much in recent decades.  Baseball uniforms are now made of a different material, but the basic construction is the same.  Ditto with basketball and soccer.  In hockey, the fit has been tweaked in recent years and jerseys now have scoop hems, but many clubs have decided to keep their iconic looks even though they can look kind of goofy on the new template.

Rangers-Celebrate.jpg

For football, though, the elimination of sleeves has been catastrophic for uniform design.  That used to be the one place teams were likely to place identifying elements.  

15 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Because it looks cleaner.  The team in white always looks better; and the home team should be displaying its best look. I used to love it when the Giants would attempt to "psych out" the Cowboys by wearing white when Dallas visited.  I'd wish that the Giants looked like that all the time.

What's more, you still have the team colour in the uniform trim and (most often) in the helmets. This is true in baseball and basketball (no one forgets that the Dodgers' colour is blue because their uniforms are white); and, in a better time, it was true for hockey and lacrosse.  The trim colour is enough. 

There are probably a handful of exceptions; for instance, the Raiders should wear black jerseys at home.  But, generally, white at home should be the norm.

No! Absolutley no! 99.9% of football teams look better in their home colors. It looks way better. The only NFL team whose away looks "better" than their home is Jacksonville, and both still look horrible.

2 hours ago, JWhiz96 said:

I did, but the question was responding to was "how are their uniforms iconic?" I know full well the history of the Cowboys' whites (as I acknowledged in my post), but I was giving reasons as to why many call their uniforms iconic. I did not dispute the actual reasons why they've been worn.

As for whites at home in sports leagues, meh. Baseball and basketball look much better with whites at home, but hockey is even, and football looks much better with darker home uniforms IMO.

I'd say football is 100% better in dark home uniforms. I would say basketball and baseball are 100% better in white at home. And I'm with you on hockey, it is even, but I lean a little bit more toward whites at home.

I haven't read the thread word-for-word, so forgive me if this has been mentioned, although I'm sure it's been brought up somewhere before...

Why the unnecessary white outline around the numbers on the blue jersey?  They're not on the white jersey, so it's inconsistent.  Also, the sleeve stripes on the two jerseys are nothing similar.  And finally, what's the point of the black outline on the white jersey stripes?  Home and road jerseys should complement one another.  The green pants and three shades of blue are awful, but these other inconsistencies just add to the mess.

The Cowboys' uniform "concept" is iconic.  The execution is far from it, and their refusal to improve it is unfortunate.

1 minute ago, Jungle Jim said:

Why the unnecessary white outline around the numbers on the blue jersey?  They're not on the white jersey, so it's inconsistent.

Weren't the navies most recently redesigned in the 90s? Outlines and sleeve logos were the style at the time.

10 hours ago, FSUViking said:

The only iconic baseball uniform is the Yankees. the rest are just a blur of whites and grays. Baseball uniforms, up until 10-15 years ago, have been extremely bland and lifeless. Once baseball got with the :censored:ing times and actually allowed teams to use COLORS in their uniforms, it got a lot better. 

Couldn't disagree more. With the exception of a couple teams, MLB aesthetics have never been as bland as they are today. I'm pretty sure every team in the league would switch to a navy and red color scheme and a roundel logo in a heartbeat if they could get away with it.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

1 minute ago, Ice_Cap said:

Weren't the navies most recently redesigned in the 90s? Outlines and sleeve logos were the style at the time.

Indeed they were, and everything about that navy uniform reeks of the 90's. Sleeve logos, tons of outlines, the wordmark beneath the color, darkening of colors (relative to the Cowboys' traditional blue uniforms) - it's practically a 90's time capsule. The only reason it's survived so long is because the navy jersey is rarely seen, and Jerry Jones would rather it not exist at all.

Frankly, it's a pretty bad uniform overall. Not terrible for its time (the 90's saw much, much worse), but for today? Terribly dated, and out-of-place with the rest of the team's identity.

3 minutes ago, kroywen said:

Indeed they were, and everything about that navy uniform reeks of the 90's. Sleeve logos, tons of outlines, the wordmark beneath the color, darkening of colors (relative to the Cowboys' traditional blue uniforms) - it's practically a 90's time capsule. The only reason it's survived so long is because the navy jersey is rarely seen, and Jerry Jones would rather it not exist at all.

Frankly, it's a pretty bad uniform overall. Not terrible for its time (the 90's saw much, much worse), but for today? Terribly dated, and out-of-place with the rest of the team's identity.

I don't mind the star on the sleeves. However, the outline on the numbers and the word mark look bad and need to be changed. Obviously take the current White uniform and reversing it to navy would look much better.

Archived