Dallas Cowboys going dark at home?

buzzcut

11 hours ago, kroywen said:

They almost never wear their best possible home combo: columbia blue over white. Honestly, I'd like to see the Titans do a redesign centered around the columbia blue-over-white look.

Titans-2.jpg

They wore this on the road at Miami last season, apparently to be more comfortable in the heat than if they wore navy. Based on their schedule this upcoming season, this combo may be seen in both Jacksonville and Miami.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

In all fairness to anyone blaming the 90's for the Cowboys' blue jerseys being navy, didn't it change to navy in the early 80's

That is correct, but it seemed to me like the Cowboys completely replaced royal blue with navy in all merchandise sometime in the late '90s. Being a kid in the early '90s when the Cowboys were dominant, there were a lot of bandwagon fans wearing Cowboys gear in school, and I remember a lot of royal blue back then.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

9 hours ago, TheOldRoman said:

That is correct, but it seemed to me like the Cowboys completely replaced royal blue with navy in all merchandise sometime in the late '90s. Being a kid in the early '90s when the Cowboys were dominant, there were a lot of bandwagon fans wearing Cowboys gear in school, and I remember a lot of royal blue back then.

I remember snagging this off a TJ Maxx rack in 1997/8:

s-l500.jpg

I assumed it was an on-field jersey since Dallas haf busted out 4-5 new looks in the past few seasons... a slightly modernized Staubach-era jersey would be an absolute home run in my book

I can tell you as a lifelong Cowboys fan (no bandwagon) I bought a navy blue Starter parka and what we would now call "dark royal" (by New Era standards) Sports Specialties adjustable cap in 1989. (Record: 1-15)

It was ridiculously frustrating to find merchandise that matched because you never knew what shade of blue you were going to get: Some manufacturers used royal, some dark royal, some navy. So when that shark-tooth Logo Athletic cap came out, I had to pass because it was royal and didn't match my navy parka. Or, I eventually justified it because it matched the blue in my white Dorsett jersey. (Yep, the latter. I'm not proud.) I often wished they'd pick a blue, and I eventually chose navy.

In 2000, my first visit to Texas Stadium, there were three choices of a simple universal (stretch) fit Nike cap with just the double-star logo (many '90s caps had one outline on the star, another frustration for another TL;DR ramble):

Royal

White

Navy

It was the first time I remember seeing the same model of cap in two blues. And I bought two of the three. The two that matched the navy jersey. And then proceeded to wear mismatched blues to my first Cowboys game in Irving. Because I wasn't not going to wear the Dorsett jersey. First world problems.

When the new stadium changed the endzones to navy, I thought they'd finally chosen, too. But no.

Well according to our friends at Uni-Watch, the Cowboys are going to wear blue just three times:

Preseason game at Los Angeles Rams (obviously since Rams are now accustomed to wear white in L.A. now).

Thanksgiving game against the LA Chargers (a tradition)

But the surprising third choice wait for it:  At the New York Football Giants.

Somewhat surprised the Arizona Cardinals (who play the Cowboys early in the season) are not going to wear white at home and force the Cowboys to wear blue.  Just like the St. Louis days when the Cowboys wore blue more often back in the 70s and early 80s.

Image result for 1979 cowboys cardinals

5 hours ago, CubsFanBudMan said:

I can tell you as a lifelong Cowboys fan (no bandwagon) I bought a navy blue Starter parka and what we would now call "dark royal" (by New Era standards) Sports Specialties adjustable cap in 1989. (Record: 1-15)

It was ridiculously frustrating to find merchandise that matched because you never new what shade of blue you were going to get: Some manufacturers used royal, some dark royal, some navy. So when that shark-tooth Logo Athletic cap came out, I had to pass because it was royal and didn't match my navy parka. Or, I eventually justified it because it matched the blue in my white Dorsett jersey. (Yep, the latter. I'm not proud.) I often wished they'd pick a blue, and I eventually chose navy.

In 2000, my first visit to Texas Stadium, there were three choices of a simple universal (stretch) fit Nike cap with just the double-star logo (many '90s caps had one outline on the star, another frustration for another TL;DR ramble):

Royal

White

Navy

It was the first time I remember seeing the same model of cap in two blues. And I bought two of the three. The two that matched the navy jersey. And then proceeded to wear mismatched blues to my first Cowboys game in Irving. Because I wasn't not going to wear the Dorsett jersey. First world problems.

When the new stadium changed the endzones to navy, I thought they'd finally chosen, too. But no.

This brings up an excellent point - Dallas is the king of sports merch... would choosing one blue make business sense? Or has Dallas moved on from this type of dual merchandising?

2 hours ago, orangefaniniowa said:

Well according to our friends at Uni-Watch, the Cowboys are going to wear blue just three times:

Preseason game at Los Angeles Rams (obviously since Rams are now accustomed to wear white in L.A. now).

Thanksgiving game against the LA Chargers (a tradition)

But the surprising third choice wait for it:  At the New York Football Giants.

It's cool that the Giants are reestablishing the policy of wearing white at home against the Cowboys!  I used to love those games.

Image result for giants cowboys 1985  

Related image

That is a sharp look for the Giants.  I used to wish they could look like that all the time.  And it illustrates the point that the team in white always looks better. 

Of course, the Giants' current white uniforms are not those, but the ones with the red numbers.  While I used to be a backer of that style, I now wish that they'd wear blue numbers on the white uniform, as in the early 1970s.

Image result for giants tarkenton 1971

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

13 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

It's cool that the Giants are reestablishing the policy of wearing white at home against the Cowboys!  I used to love those games.

Image result for giants cowboys 1985  

Related image

That is a sharp look for the Giants.  I used to wish they could look like that all the time.  And it illustrates the point that the team in white always looks better. 

Of course, the Giants' current white uniforms are not those, but the ones with the red numbers.  While I used to be a backer of that style, I now wish that they'd wear blue numbers on the white uniform, as in the early 1970s.

Image result for giants tarkenton 1971

Now all the Giants need is a better white uniform than the one they are currently wearing.

1 hour ago, C-Squared said:

This brings up an excellent point - Dallas is the king of sports merch... would choosing one blue make business sense? Or has Dallas moved on from this type of dual merchandising?

I went to a game at the new stadium a couple of years ago and though I didn't pay much attention to the merchandise, my buddy did buy a bright royal blue hoodie, so I assume they still sell both blues.

“The ‘Cowboys Star Blue,’ which is the pants you see with the home white jerseys now, actually originated with Tex Schramm. Apparently, he had a car that he had seen – I’m not sure if he owned the car or if he just saw it – but he saw a car with that color interior and fell in love with it. So we had dye lots. That fabric is a dye-lotted color, so we have to order certain number of yards to produce it in that dye lot. So that pant color has become the color of the Cowboys for their home games.”

That color has evolved over the years, although only subtly. When the NFL switched to Nike, the color popped even more as a turquoise, blueish gray. It was a completely different color during the Cowboys’ infant years, appearing more like a pure gray.

“In the late ’70s, early ’80s, that’s when this color was found, so we started dye lotting the fabrication of that. Russell was making the uniforms quite a bit in that timeframe in the early ’80s, so they were able to match this color that was come up by Tex Schramm.”

“Obviously, with the introduction of HD, the color is more true to what you see on TV to what you hold in your hands. In the old days, they would be wearing that pant color, but in photos – especially at Texas Stadium with the way you’d go from the shade to the sun – the pant never really looked that color on TV or in photos,” McCord explained

The road jerseys, on the other hand, have evolved over time. Originally, they were a solid royal blue color. However, as time has gone on, the Cowboys realized the power of navy.

Beyond subtle changes in the blues and the addition of silver green pants, not much has changed in my opinion.

35348918235_a16b6e05aa_o.png

On 6/15/2017 at 6:42 AM, kroywen said:

They almost never wear their best possible home combo: columbia blue over white. Honestly, I'd like to see the Titans do a redesign centered around the columbia blue-over-white look.

Titans-2.jpg

probably because it looks to much like the Oilers

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

8 minutes ago, #ConceptLeagues said:

Beyond subtle changes in the blues and the addition of silver green pants, not much has changed in my opinion.

35348918235_a16b6e05aa_o.png

Cowboys really need to go back to the silver numbers with the double outline, instead of white numbers with blue and white outlines.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

7 minutes ago, smith03 said:

probably because it looks to much like the Oilers

I actually originally had a second paragraph in that post about how the redesign should be around the old blue and red Oilers color scheme, which I love, but decided to delete it. ;)

I get hwy they don't want to look too much like the Oilers, but I think wearing a columbia blue jersey while maintaining the Titans' double blue color scheme would be a delightful and fitting tribute to both parts of their franchise's history.

With the Cowboys wearing navy at New York, that begs the question of what pants the Giants will wear. Last year, they said they would wear grey pants on the road and white pants at home. If that continues this year, then they will wear all-white with the current set for the first time and will wear all-white for the first time since 1999, excluding the color rush uniforms last season.

10 hours ago, C-Squared said:

I remember snagging this off a TJ Maxx rack in 1997/8:

s-l500.jpg

I assumed it was an on-field jersey since Dallas haf busted out 4-5 new looks in the past few seasons... a slightly modernized Staubach-era jersey would be an absolute home run in my book

Circa 2001 I saw a jersey like this for Emmitt Smith at a Greensboro, NC, mall.

Archived