Dallas Cowboys going dark at home?

buzzcut

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, TheOldRoman said:

Are you in your early 20's? I rarely ever saw the Cardinals on national TV growing up (because they were terrible), but I seem to remember them wearing white a lot at home in the '90s. Regardless, I'm glad that the franchise left that nonsense in the past. It's stupid in general, but particularly egregious for teams which don't have a long history of doing it (Texans) and play in climate-controlled domes to negate the dark color boogieman (also Texans).

I'm almost 19, but yeah I would've missed all of that white at home non sense.

a2BRS8U.png

20 hours ago, mafiaman said:

Hopefully in a few more years, the NFL "color rush" idea is mocked as much as MLB's "turn ahead the clock" hot mess.

Nah...some of those Color Rush unis actually look good.  The Chargers, Saints, and Broncos come to mind.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

1 hour ago, Ben in LA said:

Nah...some of those Color Rush unis actually look good.  The Chargers, Saints, and Broncos come to mind.

Agreed. A lot of teams have elements that could be at least used as alternate/secondary options. The idea of the program (and name) is dopey, but that's no reason to dismiss the potential positives.

1 hour ago, BJ Sands said:

Agreed. A lot of teams have elements that could be at least used as alternate/secondary options. The idea of the program (and name) is dopey, but that's no reason to dismiss the potential positives.

I agree, but only if some of those teams adopt those positive elements as part of their regular uniform sets.  Until then, it's just a silly promotional gimmick that has occasionally stumbled onto a good idea by accident.

On 6/17/2017 at 3:13 PM, dont care said:

Right there is no need to go white at home when you play in a climate controlled dome

Ahem, Saints at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome.  Cowboys at AT&T Stadium. Texans home opener at NRG Stadium.  Heck, even the Colts wear white for one preseason game at Lucas Oil Stadium. I believe these are a few teams right there that wear white at home indoors.  There could be more I can think of, but for now those are the teams that I just mentioned.

15 minutes ago, orangefaniniowa said:

Ahem, Saints at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome.  Cowboys at AT&T Stadium. Texans home opener at NRG Stadium.  Heck, even the Colts wear white for one preseason game at Lucas Oil Stadium. I believe these are a few teams right there that wear white at home indoors.  There could be more I can think of, but for now those are the teams that I just mentioned.

He wasn't saying there weren't teams who wear white at home, just that the reasoning given for white at home (i.e., that there is a heat disadvantage in wearing a dark colored jersey while in the sun) is not possible if playing in a dome.

It's where I sit.

38 minutes ago, orangefaniniowa said:

I didn't say teams didn't do it, just there wasn't a need for it.

22 hours ago, TheOldRoman said:

I disagree, and I'm someone who generally likes outlines on numbers 9 times out of 10. That set never looked right to me. It looked wrong with the red socks, and the change to the blue socks in its last season made the numbers look like even more of a sore thumb. The blue outlines made the numbers look a little pinkish. The numbers on the current road set look great. They are a bright red, and they only work because they're offset by the sparkling, bright blue helmets. If they changed to a normal blue helmet or, even worse, satin blue, the look would be downgraded greatly.

I will always hate the Giants' road set. Gotta have blue on there. To say nothing of how bad the team on the field looks, I wouldn't have civilians walking around in a jersey that doesn't have a stitch of the team's primary color anywhere on it. I'd make the numbers and middle stripes blue and keep the NOBs and outer stripes red. That way you keep the Giants as a red/white/blue team without looking too much like the Colts or Cowboys. They'd look a little like the Bills, in theory, I guess, but not as much as they used to.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

10 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I will always hate the Giants' road set. Gotta have blue on there. To say nothing of how bad the team on the field looks, I wouldn't have civilians walking around in a jersey that doesn't have a stitch of the team's primary color anywhere on it. I'd make the numbers and middle stripes blue and keep the NOBs and outer stripes red. That way you keep the Giants as a red/white/blue team without looking too much like the Colts or Cowboys. They'd look a little like the Bills, in theory, I guess, but not as much as they used to.

I would like to see the Giants use of this kind of white uniform.

Related image

Image result for new york giants "fran tarkenton"

One-colour blue numbers instead of one-colour red ones.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 6/19/2017 at 0:48 PM, dont care said:

I didn't say teams didn't do it, just there wasn't a need for it.

I hate the Saints wearing white at home half the year. I don't care what the reason is, I hate it. 

On 6/19/2017 at 3:24 PM, the admiral said:

I actually am okay with the Giants' road uniforms as they are, though my favorite Giants' road uniforms ever are the ones that @Ferdinand Cesarano posted - I'd prefer those to the current white-and-red ones. 

I'd actually love for the Giants to recolor their existing road uniforms, with blue replacing red. The design itself is great, it just doesn't make sense for 'Big Blue' as-is. Swapping out the red for blue would solve that issue, while still echoing the historic 50s-60s/00s-10s road uniform design that has seen some of the Giants' most successful years.

White jerseys with blue numbers and Northwestern stripes, paired with white pants and blue socks, would be perfect for the Giants.

10 minutes ago, kroywen said:

I actually am okay with the Giants' road uniforms as they are, though my favorite Giants' road uniforms ever are the ones that @Ferdinand Cesarano posted - I'd prefer those to the current white-and-red ones. 

I'd actually love for the Giants to recolor their existing road uniforms, with blue replacing red. The design itself is great, it just doesn't make sense for 'Big Blue' as-is. Swapping out the red for blue would solve that issue, while still echoing the historic 50s-60s/00s-10s road uniform design that has seen some of the Giants' most successful years.

White jerseys with blue numbers and Northwestern stripes, paired with white pants and blue socks, would be perfect for the Giants.

I also like the Giants road unis. At least they stay true to their color palette and for the most part, it seems most of us like the classic looks so if people think the home blue jersey is boring, at least the roads add a little something to the table. Plus, as we all know if you follow this site, the have won 2 Superbowls in those uniforms so it will always live in Giants history( Do you hear me LA Kings,Cavaliers etc.). Works for me.

4 hours ago, joekono said:

I also like the Giants road unis. At least they stay true to their color palette and for the most part, it seems most of us like the classic looks so if people think the home blue jersey is boring, at least the roads add a little something to the table. Plus, as we all know if you follow this site, the have won 2 Superbowls in those uniforms so it will always live in Giants history( Do you hear me LA Kings,Cavaliers etc.). Works for me.

Yeah, if for no other reason than that, it'll be a very long time until the Giants change road uniforms. The top two moments in their franchise history happened in those uniforms. They'll always be associated with the two Super Bowl victories over the Pats. It will probably be many years until the Giants even think about changing those road uniforms.

Then again, I said the same thing about the Red Sox's road uniforms after the 2004 and 2007 World Series victories, and they promptly went and changed them in 2009, so who knows, I could be totally wrong again. (Though the Sox eventually switched back, so maybe I wasn't totally wrong there?)

15 hours ago, kroywen said:
20 hours ago, joekono said:

Yeah, if for no other reason than that, it'll be a very long time until the Giants change road uniforms. The top two moments in their franchise history happened in those uniforms. They'll always be associated with the two Super Bowl victories over the Pats. It will probably be many years until the Giants even think about changing those road uniforms.

Then again, I said the same thing about the Red Sox's road uniforms after the 2004 and 2007 World Series victories, and they promptly went and changed them in 2009, so who knows, I could be totally wrong again. (Though the Sox eventually switched back, so maybe I wasn't totally wrong there?)

Winning the Super Bowl didn't save the Rams' classic uniforms, nor did winning the National League pennant save the Padres' classic uniforms.  Granted, both those changes had already been decided.  But nothing had been leaked, so surely the teams could have pulled back the changes and could have kept in place the uniforms that now had such great associations attached to them.

Speaking of the Red Sox: I wonder, in 1978, if the Universe hadn't righted itself by having the Yankees overcome the forces of evil, and if the Red Sox had held onto their big lead and had gone on to win the World Series, would they still have switched away from the pullovers the very next year?

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 6/18/2017 at 10:15 AM, orangefaniniowa said:

Can somebody explain why the Cardinals decide to wear white against Houston that year?  It didn't make sense for them to wear it since never wore white before and since after when they moved to the Glendale Stadium?

Because of breast cancer awareness month. The organization decided to wear white at home for that day because the white would look better with the pink accent. There was a link that explained the reason but it's now gone.

On 6/18/2017 at 10:23 AM, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Fun fact: Falcons have worn white at home twice since the turn of the century. I'm also pretty sure they did it for a preseason game in the early 2000s, but can't remember which one to look it up. 

The mid 2000s. Preseason game in 2004 against the Bengals and 2005 against the Titans and Ravens.

Archived