Sign in to follow this  
B-Rich

Congressman Steve Scalise shot

B-Rich    219

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/14/politics/alexandria-virginia-shooting/index.html

This is really hitting home for me. Steve and I were college roommates, he did one of the readings at my wedding, and we were in with a few other guys on New Orleans Hornets season tickets their first few years here before Hurricane Katrina. Since he moved up from the State house to Congress we have been in a lot less contact than before, naturally.

Regardless of political views, Steve is one of the nicest guys I've known in my life,  a stand-up guy of character, and a husband and father of two elementary school kids. My prayers are going out to him and his family, and I ask for yours as well.

Hopefully, he should be okay, but this is extremely unsettling.

CS85    5,106

Shot in the hip.  He should be okay.  Not sure about the aides or other wounded, but nothing has been put out there about their status yet.

The shooter was a fat white guy who is also apparently a terrible shot.

Republicans are already blaming this on democrats, so our country continues to be stupid.  Carry on.

sc49erfan15    863

I hope this is not a trend. Violence in politics does not lead to productive society.

[edit] Shooter identified as James Hodgkinson, 66, from Belleville, Illinois. It appears that political views had a motive in the shooting.

:censored: . This is NOT a direction that American politics needs to take.

rams80    2,717
31 minutes ago, sc49erfan15 said:

I hope this is not a trend. Violence in politics does not lead to productive society.

[edit] Shooter identified as James Hodgkinson, 66, from Belleville, Illinois. It appears that political views had a motive in the shooting.

Both sides have crazies.  Maybe the solution is making it so crazies have less access to firearms.

/Pretty sure everyone in that park voted "aye" on rolling back that particular gun control legislation.

DG_Now    3,793
49 minutes ago, sc49erfan15 said:

Violence is never the answer. But I would also disassociate a crazed gunman with a political philosophy per se. People have all kinds of greviences that should never be expressed violently, though often they are.

I wish there was a second half to that statement but there really isn't. We're cutting access to health care (including mental health) while maintaining access to violent weapons. So, this is a direction we shouldn't take but one that will definitely continue. Stay safe out there.

Viola73    67
19 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

Well, when you walk up to a person and ask, "Are those Republicans or Democrats  on the ball field?" And the person says, "It's Republicans." and then that person opens fire on the ball field...I'd say...Yeah, it's political.

sc49erfan15    863
2 hours ago, Viola73 said:

Well, when you walk up to a person and ask, "Are those Republicans or Democrats  on the ball field?" And the person says, "It's Republicans." and then that person opens fire on the ball field...I'd say...Yeah, it's political.

I hadn't yet heard that when I posted. No need for the condescending tone.

the admiral    9,846

If you're okay with 25 million people being made to die, you have to be okay with you yourself being made to die, and if you want anyone to fire a gun anywhere they want, you have to be okay with someone firing a gun at you. May he learn from his experience.

B-Rich    219
On 6/15/2017 at 11:17 AM, the admiral said:

If you're okay with 25 million people being made to die, you have to be okay with you yourself being made to die, and if you want anyone to fire a gun anywhere they want, you have to be okay with someone firing a gun at you. May he learn from his experience.

And with that, once again the Admiral becomes my adversary.

Way to blow things out of proportion with histrionic hyperbole, kid.  Show me where my friend "made 25 million people to die".  Show me where he voted for "anyone to fire a gun anywhere they want".  Show me NOW, while my close friend is lying on a hospital table undergoing his third surgery to save his life, while I -- and even his opposing party congressmen from across the aisle--  are praying for the life of this fine man, a man MUCH better than you could ever hope to be.

"May he learn from his experience". He ain't gonna learn jack from his experience if he's DEAD, which is a strong possibility and was the intent of the nutjob shooter. And from the word and tone of your post, that's okay with you.

rams80    2,717

I think Scalise has a pretty solid roll call vote record on repealing any forms of gun control (on the grounds of freedom and liberty*) and certainly voted for/was heavily responsible for getting the AHCA passed.

*-and yeah it is your own damn fault for forgetting the other side of the aisle also has its crazies, despite centuries of evidence, when you've been pushing that as a way to implicitly terrorize the left.

On some level, yes, it is the victim's own fault in this case that you can have a mentally ill person with a history of domestic violence problems legally acquire a semi-automatic rifle, go into the middle of Alexandria, Virginia, (not exactly a small city, that) and open fire on a baseball diamond without anyone, including the capitol police present, doing or saying anything until after the bullets start flying and at which point it is too late.

Am I upset about this happening?  Yes.  Do I think that, should Scalise ever get to look in a mirror again, he is going to see part of the reason for why he was shot, should he actually prove to be capable of that level of self-reflection and introspection?  Also, yes.

DG_Now    3,793

The thing about friends is that everyone is someone's friend. Even the nobodies who are hurt by the actions of legislators who protect their own health care while taking it away from others.

Sorry about your friend. Do you think he's spent much time thinking about how he's hurt others?

first off, sorry about your friend, but i do have to say, with the world of google, and voting records in congress being publically avaliable, someone somewhere had to find out how he voted on gun control. yes it's a sad thing that happened, nobody is disputing that, but jesus tapdancing christ, maybe if we had laws that didnt let mentally unstable people own guns, the incident would have been prevented. like DC said, hopefully this will wake everyone up and see how things they vote on in congress can actually affect others.

B-Rich    219
36 minutes ago, rams80 said:

...certainly voted for/was heavily responsible for getting the AHCA passed.

That is a fact that no one is denying.  But no matter what you or Admiral may think, doing that is NOT "25 million people being made to die".  Its' over- the-top hyperbole and conjecture put out there to justify the attempted assassination of several U.S. congressman, and what may wind up to be the cold-blooded murder of a congressman.

Someone on the right could argue a similar hyperbole, that someone voting to get an abortion rights bill passed should be okay with being made to die, as the bill would result in "XX million babies being made to die", and it would be just as wrong.

Hitler had between 6 to 11 million "people made to die"-- that's a reality. 

36 minutes ago, rams80 said:

you can have a mentally ill person with a history of domestic violence problems.

1 minute ago, RichardWitham said:

maybe if we had laws that didnt let mentally unstable people own guns, the incident would have been prevented.

Now, here is where lots of people are playing armchair quarterback via old police reports, records, and interviews with friends and such.  Are there any records showing that the shooter was "mentally ill"? No.  Had he ever sought mental health assistance?  No.  Did he have a criminal record?  No.  He was arrested a few times on assorted things, charges were always dismissed, and he was once told by police not to fire guns into the woods.  So how can the state deny him the ability to buy a weapon?  Is everyone now going to be subject to searches of their Facebook history and interviews with family and friends, and record of arrests and charges that were DISMISSED before legally purchasing a firearm?

Granted this is the guy who shot my friend-- I'd LOVE for it to be brought out that he was a proven nut job, should have never been allowed to buy a gun, yada yada. But unfortunately, that's not the case.

people like the guy who shot the congressman shouldnt be allowed to have guns. period end of story. there have been 141 mass shootings in this country this year. one  flippin hundred and forty one. something needs to be done. and after one of their own was a victim of a shooting incident, one would think even the republicans would tell the NRA to go jump in the lake and do something to stop these from happening.

Kaz    651

I'd say some here are showing their true colors by victim blaming a guy who just got shot by a nutjob while playing baseball, but honestly it isn't like they tend to hide their lack of civility around here anyways.  

I don't really agree with Scalise's politics, but to play the "Karma" card is short-sighted, tasteless and quite frankly even more proof that both sides have completely tossed aside any sense of decency in the name of "winning the sport of politics" 

rams80    2,717
6 minutes ago, Kaz said:

I'd say some here are showing their true colors by victim blaming a guy who just got shot by a nutjob while playing baseball, but honestly it isn't like they tend to hide their lack of civility around here anyways. 

Serious question:  Why do only conservatives get to victim blame?

13 minutes ago, Kaz said:

so one side only gets to blame victims? lovely to know.......

Kaz    651
1 minute ago, rams80 said:

Serious question:  Why do only conservatives get to victim blame?

I'm far from a conservative, and certainly do not condone it when they do either.