NHL Preds, Sens & Ducks

sparkychewbarky

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2017-07-02 at 10:35 PM, darkpiranha said:

Not feeling the Preds yet.  It's still too intricate for me.  I look at it, and my brain wants to identify the individual shapes rather than see a complete logo.

Good feedback dp...I'm gonna keep working on it.

On 2017-07-03 at 8:00 AM, Big Yellow Flag said:

I'm still not 100% sold on Nashville, there's something off with the shape of the head that I can't place, but... Wow. Well done.

Thanks Big. I have some more versions in the works.

On 2017-07-03 at 9:40 AM, Lights Out said:

Your new Predators logo is a massive upgrade - not only from your initial concept, but also from the logo they actually use. Nice work!

Thanks Lights Out...it seems that it needs a bit more refining though...

11 hours ago, TRoyConcepts said:

I'm still not feeling the Predators logo. Still looks too much like some sort of rodent. Might have something to do with the whiskers or even the slimness of the head.

OK...good observationTRoy...I'll be working on it.

7 hours ago, Midway said:

Your Preds logo is still getting there. The stars on the neck remind me of a dog collar and I'm not sure they're even needed. I'd also bring back the bottom teeth and lose some "detail" to really put this over the top. 

Good advice Midway...I was kinda seeing a collar too.

35 minutes ago, JWhiz96 said:

I don't really care for the Nashville logo (I like their current version) but your uniforms are well designed.

Thanks JW...

9 hours ago, HALMANHAL said:

Sparky more incredible work by you with these logos.  I've seen a lot of your work in the past and it is top notch. Hailing from Long Island however  I can't help but call you out on the script D and the script ducks wordmark,  which you obviously copied directly from the Long Island Ducks  independent minor-league baseball team from the Atlantic league. You know better than anyone that you should give credit where credit is due. People are responding  and giving you credit for designing it and you didn't. 

1 hour ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

Ducks logo looks too similar to this IMO, 

IMG_9228.PNG

Ok...here's the logo of the Long Island Ducks...

DucksLogo_gray3502.jpg.a29f71013a4212cc78bac09c76859264.jpg

...and KR and HAL, you're absolutely right... it's almost identical to my design.

But you're wrong in your accusation...I didn't copy it. I don't and never have copied another designers work. Why would I?

When I start a design I always do a Google search to see what's already out there.

For this project I googled "Anaheim Ducks" and their existing and previous logos popped up along with a lot of other concept logos...but no Long Island Ducks logo.

At the time of designing my version, I didn't even know that a Long Island Ducks baseball team existed.

When I sat down to design the Ducks logo, I referenced these logos of the two Ducks' eras...

nhlducks11.thumb.jpg.8af10f567cb07cf8021992e03c90e3e8.jpg

I used the foot symbol to form a background shield, and I saw a letter "D" (in script font) in the Duck mask.

It just made sense to do the wordmark in a matching script font, and the swirl underlining the name is kind of a popular script application...you see it all the time.

This was all done from "scratch" and I had no knowledge of the L.I.Ducks.

But wow...you are bang-on with your observation...they're almost identical. Kudos to Long Island for a brilliant logo :)

Well, I guess that makes the decision on which logo to use for the A-Ducks a little easier.

Welcome to the boards HAL, and thanks for the input.

4 hours ago, darkpiranha said:

I'll let Sparky speak for himself, but until you just posted this about the Long Island Ducks, I'd never heard of them or seen their logo.  It's not a stretch at all to think that Sparky came up with this idea having never seen the other one.  It's a simple design and kind of obvious when you look at it.  When I first saw Sparky's design I wondered why I'd never noticed before that the old Duck mask made a D shape.  Sparky has had an impeccable reputation on these boards, so I'd be hesitant to make any accusations of copying.

Thanks dp. Very much appreciated.

I love the new Predators logo, and it does look less like a rodent. However, I'd add a yoke on to the white jersey to help balance the colors and create some unity in the set.

The orange Ducks jersey is gorgeous. Don't change a thing. I love it.

The Senators are much improved, also. The barber-pole jerseys are really sweet, too.

On 4.7.2017 at 8:00 AM, HALMANHAL said:

Sparky more incredible work by you with these logos.  I've seen a lot of your work in the past and it is top notch. Hailing from Long Island however  I can't help but call you out on the script D and the script ducks wordmark,  which you obviously copied directly from the Long Island Ducks  independent minor-league baseball team from the Atlantic league. You know better than anyone that you should give credit where credit is due. People are responding  and giving you credit for designing it and you didn't. 

I know you're new here. But that exactly is the reason why I don't understand your allegation against Sparky in the first place!

You should at least have waited a couple of months to come to know other users better in order to understand that Sparky, as a long time member (April 2009), would rather quit designing than plagiarizing other people's work. Instead you used your first(!) post here on CCSL to prematurely and falsely accuse him of allegedly copying existing logos. In my view, that was neither nice, nor smart. In fact, it was pretty dumb!

P.S.: Great work as always, Sparky!

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

Good work, Sparky!

I just noticed this thread for the first time and had to click on it since your work and presentation is also top-notch. My only thoughts are:

-the Senators look much better in your update without the white 'Batman' eye

-The fangs/mouth region on the Predators was confusing at first with the near tooth being white and the far tooth being blue. It comes across much better in your most recent update now that the far tooth has that gray highlight. I'm guessing you may have tried a white highlight but decided against it?

Take this with a grain of salt because I'm pretty new at this, but while I really like what you're going for with the Preds, I think the little spurs on the teeth make it look a little weird, the bottom foremost tooth should be white as well, and the nose area should be one piece with wrinkles going forward instead of across the nose. Kinda like this picture

a5802d45944d362912ef0f3612fac486.jpg

but again, I don't actually know what I'm doing so all that may be crap.

On 2017-07-04 at 11:39 AM, Zeus89725 said:

However, I'd add a yoke on to the white jersey to help balance the colors and create some unity in the set.

The Senators are much improved, also. The barber-pole jerseys are really sweet, too.

Thanks Zeus. I added the yoke. The barber poles are pretty much their Heritage sweaters.

On 2017-07-06 at 5:17 AM, wildwing64 said:

How many goats must be sacrificed to make this set a reality?

Hi ww...Three and a chicken.

On 2017-07-06 at 9:49 AM, Go Red Sox! said:

I know you're new here. But that exactly is the reason why I don't understand your allegation against Sparky in the first place!

Thanks Go, I appreciate that. In fairness to HALMANHAL, I do see how he might think that I copied the Long Island logo. I didn't of course, but man... they're pretty similar!

On 2017-07-07 at 3:03 AM, jaha32 said:

I'm guessing you may have tried a white highlight but decided against it?

No I didn't jaha, until you mentioned it. I acted on your suggestion and it looks a lot better. Thank you.

On 2017-07-08 at 2:51 PM, C-Squared said:

That Ducks primary logo is absolutely perfect! The LI Ducks logo is very rudimentary... I get the overlap, but I don't get an infringing feeling from your design.

I'm gonna stick with the "D-duck",C-S.

On 2017-07-08 at 3:02 PM, Midwest_surfer said:

I think the little spurs on the teeth make it look a little weird, the bottom foremost tooth should be white as well

but again, I don't actually know what I'm doing so all that may be crap.

I saw your NHL thread on secondary logos...Good stuff...you know what you're doing.

I took the spur off of the tooth, but it seemed to lose some of its character. I did put the white tooth in. Thanks.

O.K. guys...time to put a bow on this!

Ottawa Senators

nhlsens31.thumb.jpg.1170e7de439c03e3e7cfde007113d0f3.jpg

The Sens remain the same since the last try. I basically just reworked the side-view centurion logo...

nhl03.thumb.jpg.1c6f561e82c3f703791eff06f638fc80.jpg

and put it on their Heritage unis, like what most fans seemed to prefer...

nhl06.thumb.jpg.44da36ee62412a26081268ae912e392f.jpg

Anaheim Ducks

nhlducks30.thumb.jpg.e3afec0dca29f70abc32967315e32614.jpg

I ran into a bit of a snag with this one as it turns out to be very similar to a Long Island Ducks logo...

nhl02.thumb.jpg.921d135d7445504ddeb6ebbe9d177bd4.jpg

I know that it wasn't copied, and I think that there is enough of a difference, (along with some historic pre-amble to the design) to use the logo.

nhlducks31.thumb.jpg.9fc8212d35eaa9c530789de14835762f.jpg

Nashville Predators

nhlpreds30.thumb.jpg.a99b7d1042a37be39558c1bdb1c319bc.jpg

The challenge I gave myself here was to use the 2016 All Star Game style (designed by Fanbrandz) in rendering a roaring sabre-tooth (tiger)...

nhl04.thumb.jpg.1799840e722a26b8484ed55f2ec39447.jpg

The first attempt was a little clunky, with the second being a little more streamlined.

The third try is a bit more simplified...

nhlpreds31.thumb.jpg.462e3baa1ba8c0062245cfb52d65744d.jpg

nhl05.thumb.jpg.e5c52b32da14e3de4ae1d932020ec726.jpg

Here's some alt options...

5967d4a3609c1_nhlalts01.thumb.jpg.41bd595dcb21c86c818f7ea2a4b3c67d.jpg

Well, that's it guys! Thanks for the feedback and advice!

sparky

That's a beauty of a set there Sparky! To be honest with you I preferred the first Predators logo, but the other two evolved magnificently. My only complaint is that the Preds alt kind of looks Sabre-ish. It's different enough though that it's still pretty killer.

The bottom tooth being defined really makes it a lot better. I think the simplified look is better, but there are still clear western influences in it. And the profile adjustment and the spur off the mouth line really makes it not look like a beaver, specifically this beaver, which I didn't notice until it was pointed out. Well done.mo8iesT_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Definitely much improved all around. Although I think thickening the bottom jaw on the Preds logo would go a long way. I can't spot a single other flaw. Great stuff

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

Guest darkpiranha

Looking good! Preds much better. I neglected to mention the right tooth needing to be made white, but you did that anyway and it also helps.  

What's next?

• 3 months later...
On 7/13/2017 at 3:30 PM, sparky chewbarky said:

Nashville Predators

nhlpreds30.thumb.jpg.a99b7d1042a37be39558c1bdb1c319bc.jpg

The challenge I gave myself here was to use the 2016 All Star Game style (designed by Fanbrandz) in rendering a roaring sabre-tooth (tiger)...

nhl04.thumb.jpg.1799840e722a26b8484ed55f2ec39447.jpg

The first attempt was a little clunky, with the second being a little more streamlined.

The third try is a bit more simplified...

nhlpreds31.thumb.jpg.462e3baa1ba8c0062245cfb52d65744d.jpg

nhl05.thumb.jpg.e5c52b32da14e3de4ae1d932020ec726.jpg

I'm still of the mindset that #1 was the way/angle to go. The final has canines in 3/4 view with mandible in profile.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

Archived