My NBA Logos Redesigns

kal

This started when I was underwhelmed by the Spurs new logo that leaked. I decided to try to make my own version, then I decided to work on more teams. Though for the other teams, I decided not to change much, instead going with small tweaks and edits. Anyway, these are what I came up with.

Note: I am not an expert and I only use photoshop. Don't expect too much. :lol:

SAN ANTONIO SPURS

As I said before, the new logo is too plain. I used to be all for removing the border but after seeing this, it feels like something is missing. It's just text with the spur on it. The spur logo itself isn't perfect, it kinda looks dated and having it tilted makes the spacing look wrong. I do like the change to a block font so I did the same with my design. I added an Alamo-inspired border and brought back the fiesta colors in a minor way. In the middle is the spur which is the secondary logo. I'm not 100% happy with it but it's the best I could do. I wanted to have it straight up so it would look uniform with the text. Hopefully you guys get the idea. Finally, on the right is the wordmark.

sas-final2.thumb.png.26b84c754a8c981a924e578a3cee2c53.png

ATLANTA HAWKS

For the Hawks primary, I removed the unnecessarily thick roundel along with the 'basketball club' text. Added a normal shade of yellow, instead of whatever the hell they're currently using. For the secondary logo, I removed the weird looking flames on top of the ball and put the ATL logo inside.

atl-final4.thumb.png.00eb1eb65cc3c8d1ddfe91e1793e06e7.png

NEW YORK KNICKS

No logo changes just recoloring. The blue they use is too light for me so I used darker blue, darker orange, and replaced the grey with cream. Also, I brought back the old New York wordmark, which is superior to the one they use today imo.

nyk-final.thumb.png.4394c8e38849d0b71164ed2a3aad49dc.png

BROOKLYN NETS

The Nets current set is terribly boring. I see what they were going for, but they executed it poorly. I kept the same theme while trying to add a bit more character. Brought back the navy/grey color combination of the New Jersey Nets.

bkn-final2.thumb.png.87b8aa5a34c91cbd87a22847d699b7c7.png

DALLAS MAVERICKS

I like there current primary but it's a little too busy. I removed the shield, the clunky wordmark, the unnecessary shading on the horse, and added a new font. The secondary is inspired by their old logo of an M with a cowboy hat.

dal-final.thumb.png.01b86935a1b8b59890a19138a0eeecb5.png

DENVER NUGGETS

No changes as I really like their stuff. I just made the pick axes the primary, and the mountain peak the secondary. Also got a new font.

den-final2.thumb.png.b712d615499f21b1bee0d715d890288b.png

DETROIT PISTONS

Again, no change other than creating a secondary logo. I'm tired of the interlocking DP they use so I wanted to try something else. Ended up with this. I wanted it to look like the grilles of a car... obviously not the best execution but hopefully you get the idea.

det-final2.thumb.png.c4ed5ab9fdc73d6cb57f3f84ed4f2464.png

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS

They'll be moving to a new arena in San Francisco soon so I decided to update their logo accordingly. The golden gate bridge is now on the primary and the cable car is the secondary.

gsw-final.thumb.png.e8f6515a96f0b728c219e3f59b30ff0d.png

MIAMI HEAT

Red represents heat, I get it but red is so common in sports. I think the Miami Vice colors really represent South Beach well and make the team stand out.

mia-final.thumb.png.effdaa42ea1559d44e5ba4c73eed9821.png

PHOENIX SUNS

The trend teams of adding black to their colorway needs to stop. Orange and purple works well and is unique so I removed all traces of black in the Suns set. Also removed the beveling and minimized the grey to outlines, giving a cleaner look overall.

phx-final.thumb.png.2eba042398750a11b336cb221e5cf8c4.png

The only ones that don't work for me are the mavs and suns, the mavs logo doesn't work because of the wordmark looks more cluttered now than before and the suns I think you should move away from the box logo. Otherwise great job

Excellent!

Nice job on the Heat - that is an excellent job with those colors.  My worry would be how strong those colors are on a white background...

For the Warriors, angle the W so that it's going uphill along with the streetcar.  Take away the second part of the bridge, too...that would be impossible to reproduce in smaller size.  Just leave the tallest (closest) part of the bridge.

I really like the changes for the Knicks as well.

Not a fan of the Mavericks wordmark (which is a shame because the Mavs' regular wordmark sucks), and the cowboy hat logo needs a couple tweaks.  The hat doesn't really interact with the ball...it's obvious it's just one part of a logo pasted over another.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 22/06/2017 at 8:32 PM, CinnamonRoll21 said:

These are all great! I might need some tips because I'm terrible at logo making.

Thank you!

On 22/06/2017 at 10:35 PM, KRZYBDGRZ said:

The only ones that don't work for me are the mavs and suns, the mavs logo doesn't work because of the wordmark looks more cluttered now than before and the suns I think you should move away from the box logo. Otherwise great job

I agree with the Mavs. On the Suns primary, I actually tried removing the box but it felt incomplete to me. Ultimately decided to keep it.

On 22/06/2017 at 11:36 PM, WSU151 said:

Nice job on the Heat - that is an excellent job with those colors.  My worry would be how strong those colors are on a white background...

For the Warriors, angle the W so that it's going uphill along with the streetcar.  Take away the second part of the bridge, too...that would be impossible to reproduce in smaller size.  Just leave the tallest (closest) part of the bridge.

I really like the changes for the Knicks as well.

Not a fan of the Mavericks wordmark (which is a shame because the Mavs' regular wordmark sucks), and the cowboy hat logo needs a couple tweaks.  The hat doesn't really interact with the ball...it's obvious it's just one part of a logo pasted over another.

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate it.

Here is a quick edit I did of the Heat's set in white. I thought maybe I could put it on grey instead, if the colors were too strong, but I don't think it is. I quite like it actually.

mia-final-white.thumb.png.6ae66811e392103fd9a39663d03ebd6d.png

Tried applying your suggestions on the Warriors.

gsw-final2.thumb.png.d44f48974b044862e7ab592156b19f84.png

Finally, the Mavs. Still not completely happy with it, though I do think it's an improvement from the first version.

dal-final2.thumb.png.cbb7f11cf9bec0189356359f487faf9c.png

6 minutes ago, kal said:

Thank you!

I agree with the Mavs. On the Suns primary, I actually tried removing the box but it felt incomplete to me. Ultimately decided to keep it.

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate it.

Here is a quick edit I did of the Heat's set in white. I thought maybe I could put it on grey instead, if the colors were too strong, but I don't think it is. I quite like it actually.

mia-final-white.thumb.png.6ae66811e392103fd9a39663d03ebd6d.png

Tried applying your suggestions on the Warriors.

gsw-final2.thumb.png.d44f48974b044862e7ab592156b19f84.png

Finally, the Mavs. Still not completely happy with it, though I do think it's an improvement from the first version.

dal-final2.thumb.png.cbb7f11cf9bec0189356359f487faf9c.png

Excellent all the way around.  Love all three.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived