Sign in to follow this  
sam the man

Minor League Baseball News

39 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'm sure Wyoming has the same issues. ;)

I have long wanted to start a thread about  - who is UK, KU, UT, IU, UI and on and on (USC, OSU), but I've just never bothered.

7 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I have long wanted to start a thread about  - who is UK, KU, UT, IU, UI and on and on (USC, OSU), but I've just never bothered.

I almost think it should be claimed by head to head matchups with the winner getting to keep it.

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I had a "concept" a few years ago of standardized NCAA team abbreviations as a way to avoid that. It wasn't perfect, but it was... something, for sure.

4 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Then you have the Southern Cal/Santa Clara agreement where Santa Clara changed to SCU in exchange for a gift of a few dozen palm trees.

On 9/23/2018 at 4:46 PM, the admiral said:

Why were all the other schools in the Big Ten able to field baseball teams?

On 9/24/2018 at 1:49 AM, walkerws said:

Priorities. It's easy enough to match up baseball and softball. Not knowing what the focus of the department is, they might have thought baseball wasn't worth the effort. Buffalo has done this as well. 

On 9/24/2018 at 5:58 PM, Gothamite said:

Exactly.  Universities can make priorities. I don’t fault Wisconsin for their choice any more than Iowa State for theirs. 

On that note, it actually makes perfect sense for UW-Mil to have the state's only D1 baseball program.  Milwaukee is the city with the indoor baseball facility that could (in theory) bypass all the competitive disadvantages that northern baseball programs usually have.

Too bad their athletic department is too incompetent to work out some sort of arrangement for the Panthers to share it with the Brewers.  

On 9/24/2018 at 3:58 PM, Gothamite said:

Exactly.  Universities can make priorities. I don’t fault Wisconsin for their choice any more than Iowa State for theirs. 

That decision was made in 1991 when revenues there were close to what they are now. Football was a perrinal loser back then (9 wins in previous four seasons).

Today, they've got a $132M budget, which is a 30% increase from 2010-11. They could easily add baseball (11.7 scholarships) and field hockey (12) to accommodate Title IX.

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

That decision was made in 1991 when revenues there were close to what they are now. Football was a perrinal loser back then (9 wins in previous four seasons).

Today, they've got a $132M budget, which is a 30% increase from 2010-11. They could easily add baseball (11.7 scholarships) and field hockey (12) to accommodate Title IX.

The budget is up, but so are expenses.  Almost every athletic department loses money each year, and Wisconsin is no exception.

Edited by Gothamite

On 9/26/2018 at 1:02 AM, Gothamite said:

The budget is up, but so are expenses.  Almost every athletic department loses money each year, and Wisconsin is no exception.

Of the public D1 schools there were only around 11 or 12 departments that didn't pull at least some money from the general school fund last year.

On 9/25/2018 at 10:46 PM, NicDB said:

On that note, it actually makes perfect sense for UW-Mil to have the state's only D1 baseball program.  Milwaukee is the city with the indoor baseball facility that could (in theory) bypass all the competitive disadvantages that northern baseball programs usually have.

Too bad their athletic department is too incompetent to work out some sort of arrangement for the Panthers to share it with the Brewers.  

College baseball isn't that big of business for colleges. Not like football and basketball. I would bet that paying rent on Miller Park wouldn't even begin to be worthwhile. The Panthers' normal stadium only holds 500 people so I can't imagine there's much demand for tickets to their games.

18 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

Of the public D1 schools there were only around 11 or 12 departments that didn't pull at least some money from the general school fund last year.

College baseball isn't that big of business for colleges. Not like football and basketball. I would bet that paying rent on Miller Park wouldn't even begin to be worthwhile. The Panthers' normal stadium only holds 500 people so I can't imagine there's much demand for tickets to their games.

The fact that two Northwoods League clubs already play in Southeast Wisconsin and now the American Association is coming to Milwaukee County is proof enough that there's a market in the Milwaukee area for lower levels, but still highly competitive baseball.  The Panthers don't draw partially because it's still practically winter in the northern states when the college baseball season begins, but mostly because the UWM athletic department is too unstable and incompetent to market anything.

Either way, I would imagine being able to offer the Miller Park experience at a significantly lower cost could easily satiate a niche we already know exists.

Change at the AA level:

Chattanooga Lookouts become a Reds affiliate once again.

Pensacola will most likely link up with Minnesota. There's a chance the Padres end up there instead but all signs point to them going with a new team in Amarillo. 

On 9/25/2018 at 3:35 PM, LMU said:

Then you have the Southern Cal/Santa Clara agreement where Santa Clara changed to SCU in exchange for a gift of a few dozen palm trees.

Fresno State doesn't colloquially go by "FSU" out that way, does it?

(Asking for a friend..........)

The San Diego Padres have extended their player development contract with the Double-A Texas League franchise owned by Elmore Sports Group. Previously located in San Antonio, Texas, the team will operate in a new downtown Amarillo, Texas ballpark beginning next April. The Padres' PDC with the yet-to-be-named Amarillo club is set to run through the 2020 Texas League season. 

Amarillo and San Diego Sign Two-Year Affiliation Agreement

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:21 PM, oz615 said:

It still bug me to this day as to why Nashville is in the PCL as the only team East of the Mississippi River. i just wish it was an for Nashville (and Memphis) could be in the IL.

Memphis, TN is east of the Mississippi River (actually for all intents and purposes, it is on the Mississippi). 

In my opinion, when MLB does expand, and if two cities west of the Mississippi get PCL franchises, then the Memphis Redbirds and the Nashville Sounds should move to the IL.

On 9/30/2018 at 1:36 AM, Bmac said:

Change at the AA level:

Chattanooga Lookouts become a Reds affiliate once again.

Pensacola will most likely link up with Minnesota. There's a chance the Padres end up there instead but all signs point to them going with a new team in Amarillo. 

Minnesota and Pensacola announced a deal today.

On 4/21/2018 at 12:28 PM, Gary. said:

From what I’ve heard the Dbacks and Reno are re-upping for another 5 years

Yeah you’ll get the Reno market from the D Backs the same way you’ll get the guns from Charleston Heston’s hands, apparently. 

I think they like the the fact that they have their AAA affiliate in what is traditionally Giants and A’s territory and is also in the Rockies radio market (no idea why that is). 

Problems looming in indy ball, as both the Traverse City Beach Bums and Normal Cornbelters have bailed on the Frontier League in the past week, heading toward collegiate wood bat leagues instead (Northwoods for TC, likely Prospect for Normal.) The Normal ownership specifically cited the desire to move to a business model where they do not have to pay their players.

The Frontier League now stands at 10 teams.

Peoria wins the rubber match with B/N.

Northwoods League Update - St Croix RiverHounds delay entry into league until 2020.