Minor League Baseball News

sam the man

3 hours ago, LA_Angels said:

Imagine telling someone before 2000 that you were going to see a pro baseball game between the Wood Ducks and the Wood Dogs. What a time to be alive...

Even worse, imagine being a hot shot 19-year-old prospect trying to live his dream and having to tell his family he plays for the Fayetteville Fatbacks.

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 10:30 AM, ChicagoOakland said:

Us, a year ago: "There's no way MiLB will ever have a name worse than the Baby Cakes."

Buies Creek Astros: "Hold my moonshine."

http://abc11.com/sports/top-5-names-for-fayettevilles-baseball-team-revealed/2138994/

Bonus points for having two wood-related names when the Down East Wood Ducks are an hour away in Kinston.

Fayetteville Fatbacks has a nice ring to it...

• 3 months later...
22 minutes ago, RyanMcD29 said:

So the Mets are finally getting out of Las Vegas and moving their AAA affiliation to the Syracuse Chiefs, which means the Washington Nationals will now have to find a new AAA affiliate

Link?  Affiliate cycles are usually even numbered years, so while the Mets may say they will explore other options, they cant announce a change until Fall 2018.

34 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Link?  Affiliate cycles are usually even numbered years, so while the Mets may say they will explore other options, they cant announce a change until Fall 2018.

http://www.syracuse.com/chiefs/index.ssf/2017/10/new_york_mets_will_buy_syracuse_chiefs_bring_its_triple-a_team_to_syracuse.html#incart_m-rpt-1

Will take effect in 2019

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

• 6 months later...

The Nats might indeed have to - there is a 1:1 ratio of MLB and AAA teams, so they can only go elsewhere if they can pry another affiliate loose.  It’s musical chairs, with the loser traditionally stuck in Las Vegas. 

That said, Vegas might not be the same ongoing disaster they have been once they move into their new stadium.  At the very least, they'll have acceptable facilities for developing players, things like a weight room and indoor batting cage.   That’s a positive step, even if it is a bit far away from Washington.  

5 hours ago, sam the man said:

do we know yet who will be replaceing the mets in LV? If the Nats have to go there after their rival bought their Affiliate out from under them? 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

The Nats might indeed have to - there is a 1:1 ratio of MLB and AAA teams, so they can only go elsewhere if they can pry another affiliate loose.  It’s musical chairs, with the loser traditionally stuck in Las Vegas. 

That said, Vegas might not be the same ongoing disaster they have been once they move into their new stadium.  At the very least, they'll have acceptable facilities for developing players, things like a weight room and indoor batting cage.   That’s a positive step, even if it is a bit far away from Washington.  

With a new venue next season, Vegas will be a better situation and not the leftover redheaded stepchild.

Per Ballpark Digest's affiliat dance notes, https://ballparkdigest.com/200905261902/minor-league-baseball/news/affiliate-dance-2012

Teams that have AAA agreements expiring at the end of the 2018 season are:

- Buffalo and the Blue Jays 

- Colorado Springs (San Antonio in 2019) and the Brewers

- Fresno and the Astros

- Vegas and the Mets

- Nashville and the A's

- Norfolk and the Orioles

- OKC and the Dodgers

- Omaha and the Royals

- Reno and the Dbacks

- Rochester and the Twins

- Round Rock and the Rangers

- Scranton and the Yankees

- Syracuse and the Nats

- Tacoma and the Mariners

Of this list, we know that the Mets are going to Syracuse.  Also, some agreements are certain to be reupped for historical or ownership relationships (Norfolk, Omaha, Scranton, Tacoma, Buffalo, probably OKC).  With the Rangers playing spring trainign games in San Antonio, it wouldnt surprise me to see Texas jump on with the SanAn team, opening the door for the Astros in Round Rock.  

--------

That being said, this is what I see leftover. 

- The Twins and Rochester may re-up, but with the local lease issue that came about last offseason in Rochester with the city and ownership, the Twins may drop out.  The dew deal was for 10 years, with a mutual option for another 10. 

- Nashville has a new stadium, and the A's just got there 2 years ago, but with three potential Western US affiliations they may jump closer to home.

Brewers

Nats

Twins

A's

Dbacks

- Fresno 

- Vegas

- Nashville

- Reno

- Rochester

33 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

With a new venue next season, Vegas will be a better situation and not the leftover redheaded stepchild.

Absolutely.  There's still the question as to how well the team develops players in those new facilities, but they will automatically be a much better option than now, where they are an active detriment to the players the parent club is forced to send them.

I'd like to see the A's hook up with Reno and maybe the D'Backs with Vegas. Dodgers will probably re-up with OKC but if they don't I could see them with Fresno or Vegas again especially with the new ballpark. 

Las Vegas has an older facility, but that will change next season. Most Eastern teams try to stay in the east in the International League, while the Western teams try to stay in the Pacific Coast League. The Central teams generally are split. Their is usually one more team in the Eastern/Central United States that has to be with a PCL team as their are more teams in the PCL than the IL. Las Vegas was usually the odd man out and the last team left available.

Signature intentionally left blank

2 hours ago, Wings said:

I'd like to see the A's hook up with Reno and maybe the D'Backs with Vegas. Dodgers will probably re-up with OKC but if they don't I could see them with Fresno or Vegas again especially with the new ballpark. 

From what I’ve heard the Dbacks and Reno are re-upping for another 5 years

I can see the A's going to Vegas in an instant.

1) Even though they resent the Raiders for building Mount Davis and sticking them with a crap ballpark once they jet for Vegas (rightfully so, in my opinion), the crossover appeal with Raiders and A's fans in Vegas might be good.

2) Speaking of that awful atrocity, remember back in '96 when the A's played in Vegas for a few games while Mount Davis was being built? It's not out of the question to think there are still a few A's fan around Nevada.

3) As much as Nashville is a great city and farm team, they're really, REALLY far from Oakland.

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

20 hours ago, Dilbert said:

http://www.milb.com/content/page.jsp?content_id=272756520&fext=.jsp&sid=t5368&vkey=&ymd=20180418

When San Antonio shifts from AA to AAA the AA franchise will move to Amarillo and they need a name.

To me it needs to be Gold Sox or Armadillos (I hated the Dillas name).

Well, Austin did have the Sockadillos.

Things can always be worse.

tumblr_nemjj3hBF01ty6swuo1_540.jpg

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

On 4/22/2018 at 1:07 PM, Needschat said:

Well, Austin did have the Sockadillos.

Things can always be worse.

tumblr_nemjj3hBF01ty6swuo1_540.jpg

If they steal the Crew they should have to use this logo for 10 years as punishment 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived