Adidas NHL "fixes" - Sharks v2 (6/17)

B-mer

Well, here we are again.  A new era of NHL uniforms calls for a new era of concepts trying to fix the mistakes.  While I won't necessarily call some of what i'll post "fixes", maybe just a different option based on what we have.  I'm going to try working with the new collar system, as much as i don't like the laces with these. 

Someone at hockeyjerseyconcepts made a template, i drew the lace options and some of the missing stitching. 

Starting out with the Wild, making what appears to be what everyone really wanted. 

594d2546dca75_wildadidastemplate.thumb.png.a3818436ed1590d5e924cf961f9054f5.png

11 minutes ago, B-mer said:

Well, here we are again.  A new era of NHL uniforms calls for a new era of concepts trying to fix the mistakes.  While I won't necessarily call some of what i'll post "fixes", maybe just a different option based on what we have.  I'm going to try working with the new collar system, as much as i don't like the laces with these. 

Someone at hockeyjerseyconcepts made a template, i drew the lace options and some of the missing stitching. 

Starting out with the Wild, making what appears to be what everyone really wanted. 

594d2546dca75_wildadidastemplate.thumb.png.a3818436ed1590d5e924cf961f9054f5.png

This looks great, and is definitely the direction they should've taken.  IMO the center stripe they went with actually doesn't look bad.  Helps the green logo stand out better on the green background.  That being said, this does look fantastic.  Nice work

I thought they should ditch the chest stripe, as well. Now that I'm seeing it, though, I think the stripe helps the logo stand out, more. Your execution is good, though.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Nice template ;)

The only change I'd make would be to swap out the roundel logo for the "M" logo that's being used now. The rounded seems a bit redundant imo with the bear-head logo already used on the front crest. The "M" adds more to their identity...

But yes, this is exactly what they should have done....although I am certainly a fan of their new home (just not how it fits in with their road)

My Behance Portfolio --- Follow @Steinosaur19

2LYbxnm.png

Yeah this is great but the "M" logo should be used on the shoulders instead, I have never liked the round logo. I also feel like the chest stripe could work if it matched the sleeves. They definitely should of went with this however we now have to wait years for a update.

Thanks. Template is nice. Didn't realize it was Avi's.  someone on the other site said they made it from the leak of the Blue Jackets jersey. Maybe he traced it. 

At any rate. I did consider the M logo but personally like the roundel as a shoulder logo. Redundancy not withstanding. 

Next up will be Carolina, though probably in a few days

Up next is the Carolina Hurricanes.  They did a great job on the new home jersey.  Not much to complain about there.  The road though, doesn't match and while still a nice jersey, left something to be desired.  I struggled with this one to balance the red and the black but I wanted to match it to the home as best as possible too.  And I know someone will say it, but I didn't like this with a red yoke. 

I didn't have their actual font so got it as close as I could. 

Hurricanes Adidas2.png

4 hours ago, B-mer said:

Up next is the Carolina Hurricanes.  They did a great job on the new home jersey.  Not much to complain about there.  The road though, doesn't match and while still a nice jersey, left something to be desired.  I struggled with this one to balance the red and the black but I wanted to match it to the home as best as possible too.  And I know someone will say it, but I didn't like this with a red yoke. 

I didn't have their actual font so got it as close as I could. 

Hurricanes Adidas2.png

Looks great, I love the added black on the road jersey!

If anything, you could maybe continue the warning flag pattern on both sleeves.

thanks.  I actually like restricting it to the hem stripes.  It works a lot better with the sublimated pattern than before.  These are actually fairly close to their original jerseys too, oddly enough. 

also, the pattern was a :censored: to do in MS Paint with the curved hem. 

8 hours ago, B-mer said:

also, the pattern was a :censored: to do in MS Paint with the curved hem. 

That I believe! My photoshop is nearly 10 years old and I use it essentially like paint and I find it to be incredibly annoying. I cannot imagine doing it in paint.

You have this done already, so can you try something? What does it look like if you make the "secondary red" into black, so you have the red square flags on black? Should be just a paintbucket tool, and I'm really curious to see if the Canes really did make the correct decision with their sublimation.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

5 hours ago, B-mer said:

yeah, here you go. 

5953cf1182bcb_HurricanesAdidas3.thumb.png.7d14596c363ed0cd9594b36a89d1f019.png

Thank you.

It looks good, but it throws the color balance all off, especially on the white. They would've had to add more red to the stripes and that would've gotten more complicated...I'm thinking, despite how much I like the hurricane flags, that Carolina made the right decision.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I agree on Carolina

Moving on to what was probably the most egregious change:  the New Jersey Devils.  For some, this will be boring, others - just right.  The one small detail i went back and forth on adding was preserving their unique yoke shape, but with the Adidas keeping the stitching uniform throughout all jerseys, adding such a small sliver to the edges seemed pointless. 

595d2a9d3afad_DevilsAdidas.thumb.png.704a6d49273ac323ec07f7fc5cc3a148.png

On 27/06/2017 at 11:17 AM, B-mer said:

Hurricanes Adidas2.png

Minority Opinion alert: I actually like the unmatching collars, one with laces and one without. Would make me sad to see that go. The only other thing I would have done is substract the black sleeves on the white only, to preserve the look they're wearing now just a little more. But that aside, the waist stripes are perfect. Those need to match.

On 05/07/2017 at 2:06 PM, B-mer said:

As soon as Lou got out of the picture, someone's grubby paws got a hold of the Devils uniforms, and now they look like something's off. The new Devils uniforms are not the worst I've ever seen, but the classic Devils do look aesthetically better and this look just feels right, for some reason.

• 4 weeks later...

Revisiting the Wild for a moment.  I had the thought of matching the uniforms to the new home design, and here's what i have. 

Option A:

597f8858abf42_wildadidastemplate2.thumb.png.618918b74a7435acbe94b476a964c8a4.png

Option B just has a little more red to tie back to their original striping pattern:

597f888d32bd2_wildadidastemplate3.thumb.png.fd1cd1e48ce59cb62d89589efa3f434e.png

I think the reason why they added the chest stripe is to make the crest stand out on the green jersey more. Consistency is a great idea, but the road might be better without the chest stripe.

On 7/5/2017 at 2:06 PM, B-mer said:

I agree on Carolina

Moving on to what was probably the most egregious change:  the New Jersey Devils.  For some, this will be boring, others - just right.  The one small detail i went back and forth on adding was preserving their unique yoke shape, but with the Adidas keeping the stitching uniform throughout all jerseys, adding such a small sliver to the edges seemed pointless. 

:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

Making the collar trim on the home jersey white (as opposed to red like the actual jersey) makes SUCH a big difference.

• 4 months later...

Your white jersey is very nice, and it's the first thing I thought about when I saw they kept the same visiting jerseys as the previous seasons, the probable reason they kept them is because there's a lot of red on it which matches their fully red pants, like I said your red jersey is beautiful, but there's a lot of black on it and not a lot of red, if the hurricanes had black pants (which would be nicer in my opinion), then it would fit perfectly, however your jersey could work if you tried painting the shoulders red! aside that, very nice

Hurricanes Adidas2.png

Archived