Best decade of sports uniforms? (redux)

johnnysama

Ahem, the only good powder blue road uniform was the Blue Jays.

C6HzQHZWcAEgrN_.jpg

This is probably because the team took the extra effort to incorporate powder blue into their main color scheme while having royal blue on the scripts. The Phillies are a runner-up, if only because claret/powder is a beautiful color combination that needs more presence in North American sports.

i.jpg CMcfvabWsAA3AcZ.jpg JS80730896.jpg burnley-fc-2016-2017-puma-home-kit-1.jpg686px-Colorado_Rapids_logo.svg.png

While maroon/grey/white is a good combo, maroon/powder blue (with powder as an accent) is also fantastic. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Ahem, the only good powder blue road uniform was the Blue Jays.

This is probably because the team took the extra effort to incorporate powder blue into their main color scheme while having royal blue on the scripts.

I did not like the placement of the Blue Jays logo.  Otherwise I liked them in the 1980s.  But you have a point that powder blue was closer to a part of their palette than anyone else's.

(Then again, most teams don't have gray as part of their scheme, either)

25 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

The Phillies are a runner-up, if only because claret/powder is a beautiful color combination that needs more presence in North American sports.

This is why I liked the Phillies uniform. The color combo was just so nice.  I find myself conflicted between my traditional love for gray and just how nice that uniform is.  When the dumped the powder in favor a gray uniform, it was definitely not as aesthetically-pleasing, but it was more like a uniform ought to be.

I tend to agree with @BringBackTheVet(either in this thread or the MLB thread) that the logo is a bit dated...it has 1970s written all over it.  Still, though, I'd bring it back if I could.  I don't think their current set has aged that well either...particularly the large sleeve numbers.  The burgendy (or whatever it is) was unique.  

I know we're talking about a team that dates back to the 1800s and has had the same look since like 1990 or whatever, but if I were king, I'd bring back the maroon and the "P." Or, maybe a more "today" logo with the burgundy. I'd add some powder trim...maybe go "Detroit Tigers" with it and only add the extra color on the road.  This would open them up to a powder blue alt, which, if done correctly, could become the best alt in MLB.  It's a great scheme.  Maybe the most under-used scehme in sports today.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

22 hours ago, jmatt116 said:

whoever made fun of the 90s needs to go die in a hole :)

Adidas.jpeg

We disagree heavily on this.

Kings - look clownish here, current identity is beautiful

Heat - solid look but current uniforms are better

Suns - IMO overrated look, but still maybe better than current

Hawks - their current look confuses me, but this 90s one doesn't make my top 3 Hawks jerseys

Indiana - hate their pinstripes; the only pinstripes I've ever liked in basketball are the current Magic and maybe Charlotte; current is plain but better

Bulls - the red on black stripes just feels dated and gross to me; current is much better, though I like the script Chicago jerseys

Bucks - god awful; current looks isn't perfect but one of their best

I'll add as a sidenote, it's really tough for me to get behind the 2000s for the NFL or NBA because of the shiny materials they used that looked terrible.

21 hours ago, imawalkingcorpse said:

That Bucks jersey is the best NBA jersey of all time. 

1970's MLB

1980's NBA

1970's NFL

1980's NHL

2010's MLS

And that is why debating Best & Worst is a pointless endeavor.  I look at that Bucks jersey and I see a crime against humanity.  That is Fugly!!!

On 7/14/2017 at 2:55 PM, -Akronite- said:

We disagree heavily on this.

Kings - look clownish here, current identity is beautiful

Heat - solid look but current uniforms are better

Suns - IMO overrated look, but still maybe better than current

Hawks - their current look confuses me, but this 90s one doesn't make my top 3 Hawks jerseys

Indiana - hate their pinstripes; the only pinstripes I've ever liked in basketball are the current Magic and maybe Charlotte; current is plain but better

Bulls - the red on black stripes just feels dated and gross to me; current is much better, though I like the script Chicago jerseys

Bucks - god awful; current looks isn't perfect but one of their best

I'll add as a sidenote, it's really tough for me to get behind the 2000s for the NFL or NBA because of the shiny materials they used that looked terrible.

the current pacers is better? youre serious? pacers and grizzlies currently have the worst unis in basketball aside from the clippers which is a given

The Hawks have the worst look in basketball, and it's not even close. 

The Pacers aren't anything special, but at least the current look seems like it fits the name. The Old Navy pinstriped unis were too old school for a team with a name like "Pacers."

The Grizzlies could maybe stand to update their look, but it's fine for what it is. It's firmly middle of the road. 

As for the decade I grew up in...

The 90s were a time of experimentation. The thing about experiments is that they don't always work. You need to learn to let the failures go. 

A lot of good came out of the 90s. A lot of bad did too. 

12 hours ago, jmatt116 said:

the current pacers is better? youre serious? pacers and grizzlies currently have the worst unis in basketball aside from the clippers which is a given

Pacers are boring looking now but look sharp. The pinstripes were just plain ugly IMO.

The Grizzlies have a very solid if generic look but I don't understand how someone could arrive at them being the worst in the league.

Archived