Alternative History MLB Double Knit Era Series by Carolingian Steamroller (FINALIZED DESIGNS ALL 31)

Carolingian Steamroller

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Miami Marlins finally breech the surface today!

I think it goes unnoticed that the first iteration of the Florida Marlins actually had two different fish. One for their jersey and cap logo and one for their primary logo.

They also had two different jersey scripts. One using the swooping font for the home and one using a more Roman font for the road. So what I've done here is re-imagine the original Marlins design but focusing on the Roman font and bold fish logo as center pieces. I've taken the jersey details from this glorious sun logo.  

Home5.thumb.png.657f968b36a5e173aa79997ef2b00908.png
Road.thumb.png.644bb5fa1bbc46e4b2f8961f461755f2.png
Orange.thumb.png.583e53dcc023b2a4d001bc3bcb461220.png
Teal.thumb.png.de3709c1e71f755a4c79854758072b24.png

Definitely one of your wilder designs in the series! One suggestion I have is to to make the "M" on the solid black cap teal so there's a little more color balance. 

Just out of curiosity, is the flying marlin on the teal alt supposed to be centered or oriented to the right? 

15 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

Definitely one of your wilder designs in the series! One suggestion I have is to to make the "M" on the solid black cap teal so there's a little more color balance. 

Just out of curiosity, is the flying marlin on the teal alt supposed to be centered or oriented to the right? 

The Marlin is meant to be to right but over-sized. It's a slender logo with a ton of beautiful detail so I felt I could make it huge with no trouble. Here are the revised caps:

Home5.thumb.png.86158ca2e357cf1b38bf1cbb9f153859.png
Teal.thumb.png.84d64c3566899cac3dd98ba5681d0426.png

I think you could stand to shrink the marlin just a *tad* bit, so it's more obvious it's meant to be right-aligned and not centered. 

The teal "M" on the caps is an improvement, and I'm looking forward to the Nasty Nats!

I gotta be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the striping, it just doesn't work for me. Since you brought back the old marlin, I would suggest maybe incorporating some type of striping like you'd see on an actual marlin or something of the sort. I do really like the color scheme and the use of the marlin on the front of teal jersey, so I definitely think you're heading in the right direction. 

13 hours ago, MJD7 said:

I gotta be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the striping, it just doesn't work for me. Since you brought back the old marlin, I would suggest maybe incorporating some type of striping like you'd see on an actual marlin or something of the sort. I do really like the color scheme and the use of the marlin on the front of teal jersey, so I definitely think you're heading in the right direction. 

It's definitely an experiment. A combo of the Seahawks and Cincinnati Bearcats. I'll try to revise it along the lines you suggest later in the series. 

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 8:12 AM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Twins today to finish the AL Central. I liked the idea of the Twins emulating another Minneapolis area club. I considered a maroon and silver scheme inspired by the Gophers but ultimately discovered that the classic Timberwolves looked best. I was literally in the middle of completing it when @MJD7 posted his blue and green Twins. 

My version is a little different. I used the combination classic script, with the slight tweak that with no more placket to cross I could bring the "i" and the "n" a little closer together. I've made heavy use of silver in this design, even using silver for the road uniform. As a modern touch I added center panels to both the collar and waistband, something prevalent in basketball but not in baseball. 

C&C welcomed as always! Enjoy!

595a42c23d2ef_HomeWolves2.thumb.png.b1464d05ba7eea81b03f909c7f34dc90.png
595a42b1c06bb_AwayWolves2.thumb.png.ea7cd4053f46b2ce06eefa1a892f258c.png
595a42a025960_AlternateWolves2.thumb.png.a4c428d3104f12be2d388364d886dcc1.png

Can someone please tell the Twins to use this color combo. It looks bad ass.

1 minute ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

@Silver_Star, it's a great look. If you haven't already check out @MJD7 's design which is really excellent.

I did. And man, the royal blue and Kelly green for the Minnesota Twins is a missed opportunity. I mean when you look at it, you are like, "The Twins should go with this instead of the red, white, and blue color scheme." It works for them to use this color. Same goes for the Phillies which I love Maroon and White for that team.

Concluding the NL East with the Washington Nationals. 

I really love some of the old Senators uniforms. Especially that they used the "W" for both the home and away for many years and the famous 3-D "W" and numbers. I've also opted for a powder blue road with a white panel cap which is inspired by the famous prototype that would have been worn by the Senators if they hadn't moved to Texas. So I've applied much of that history here. For the template I've gone with a red and white, five stripe pattern meant to evoke the American flag and contrast with the blue topped socks and undersleeves. The alt is inspired by the Betsy Ross flag with thirteen stars surrounding both the "W" and back numbers.

C&C as always. Enjoy!

Home2.thumb.png.2de0eff36a02c842647fc8ad5e586877.png
Road.thumb.png.1a9ad1ed6fef6445f0e39a8c14e6c2cd.png
Seventy-Six.thumb.png.e8a80f799514089fd347907f3590dbe4.png

Very cool! I love absolutely everything about this set, but I think the stars encircling the numbers and chest logo on the alt are my favorite detail. I'm surprised by how good the white front paneled cap looks with the road jersey. You really went the extra mile making this Nats concept your own. 

Looking forward to the next division!

3 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Concluding the NL East with the Washington Nationals. 

I really love some of the old Senators uniforms. Especially that they used the "W" for both the home and away for many years and the famous 3-D "W" and numbers. I've also opted for a powder blue road with a white panel cap which is inspired by the famous prototype that would have been worn by the Senators if they hadn't moved to Texas. So I've applied much of that history here. For the template I've gone with a red and white, five stripe pattern meant to evoke the American flag and contrast with the blue topped socks and undersleeves. The alt is inspired by the Betsy Ross flag with thirteen stars surrounding both the "W" and back numbers.

C&C as always. Enjoy!

I'm sorry to be a stickler here, but it was the prototype that would have been worn by the Padres after moving from San Diego to Washington. It's a little detail correction. I like the design as a whole, but there are a few tweaks that could push it over the top. Tweaking the "DC" logo to better match the drop-shadow "W," using the drop-shadow "W" on the caps, and maybe using a different block font for the numbers would be good ideas. Aside from that, I like the unorthodox take.

The Nats look really good! I think the best thing about this set is how well the colors are distributed throughout. I like the drop-shadow and the stars on the navy alternate. I would personally do something to modernize the W at least slightly, as I imagine it would develop from its original look at least slightly over time. Great work!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions! Here's a reworking based on @SFGiants58 recommendations. I redid the numbers to match the script on the road jersey used with the "W" era Senators. I used the same block design on the "DC." I added the drop shadow to the panel cap and made the panel cap the home and road cap. C&C as always. Enjoy!

Home2.thumb.png.4d68b3525157200c71e7ad0fe76acb3b.png
Road.thumb.png.de5194749d30fdbd2210af6955c903ff.png
Seventy-Six.thumb.png.0cbc7b7da09e5f56285be55e63231ebf.png

Archived