Alternative History MLB Double Knit Era Series by Carolingian Steamroller (FINALIZED DESIGNS ALL 31)

Carolingian Steamroller

BONUS: Montreal Expos

So this is a crazy idea for reviving the Expos....

Going with a soccer style jersey with a vertical stripe pattern that provides the split between the "Expos" and the jersey number. Part of this is my feeling that had the double knit era continued, patterns and templates could be imported or evolve along similar lines to soccer which also uses a short sleeve pullover jersey. I tinkered with replicating the pattern on the belt but I found that with the vertical striping, anything on the waistband just distracts. Its the same reason there's no collar details. Credit to @MJD7 for some inspiration for the stirrups. 

Home2.thumb.png.61ffc8c6c7c9a8e7bb40a1df824f2b33.png
Away.thumb.png.6b34bf35c43ef016c9842f3f7dc237ef.png

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AL East starts today with the Baltimore Orioles. 

Apart from their infamous all orange uniform, the Orioles actually never wore pullover jerseys. The beloved '80s, early Cal Ripken Jr. set had sansbelts but always had a button down jersey. They did wear and orange and black flange around the collar that stuck up a little bit. This set is about imagining what that uniform would look like had the retro craze not gone into full force in the late '80s. I've opted to use the thin soutache that I first put out for an '80s inspired design in my last series but I've decided to take the collar treatments a step further. I've adapted an NBA-style collar to use wide, orange-white-black striping but still lay flat rather than stick it. I've also applied that to the waistband. Tail-less "Orioles" script applies and extends to the "Baltimore" script. I like the current Maryland flag patch so I've kept it here. 

C&C as always! Enjoy!

Home.thumb.png.bff8fb96fea4810c71564fb85fac354f.png
Away.thumb.png.cae82b50aa1694fcdff2366df30b61b8.png
Alt.thumb.png.c74e02df6d8564a7e50101e1f27beb9c.png

That Expos look would definitely take some getting used to, but it is without a doubt a unique one. The level of striping consistency throughout is very nice. The Orioles look nice as well, no need to change too much of a solid look. I'd also like to maybe see mono-orange, or just an orange top even. 

Boston Red Sox:

Boston had some of the greatest double knit era uniforms. Probably they are most famous for Carlton Fisk's famous 1975 home run. Every time they show up as a throwback they've looked great. So I didn't have too much to do in designing the Red Sox. Some subtle changes were using the slightly older 1940's font for the home and the newer, current font for the roads. Also adding the hanging socks to both home and away and switching the sleeve color from blue to red. The big change is the cap. I don't think the Red Sox would wear the red cap as their everyday lid in 2017 but when they wore the all blue cap in the early '70s with their double knits something just seemed off. To find the right balance, I turned to the red-billed, navy cap which the Red Sox have worn as a spring training cap in recent years. As a bonus, I've added a Patriot's Day uniform in all red with blue and white accents to match the hosery. 

C&C as always! Enjoy!

Home.thumb.png.52574651d4a958661e1eac8daccb235b.png
Away.thumb.png.d01054a03fcdb4d61eb5e88c87145e8c.png
59a9a6085d729_Patriots1.thumb.png.3afdcabc71f1b6d8c94628466b42a5e0.png

The Red Sox look absolutely gorgeous. This is one team that doesn't need any alternates. 

The only change I'd make would be to give the Patriots Day uni a red cap to distinguish it just a bit further from the everyday home uniform. 

Today we have the New York Yankees.

This concept is based on the idea that being finally, reluctantly dragged into the pullover era, George Steinbrenner had a complete mental breakdown and the team went hyper modern. Inspiration comes primarily from Juventus' recent new design, in particular the collar. The chest logo on the home is deliberately small to act more like a crest than a logo with the unusual template doing most of the lifting. The wide spaced double pins are reminiscent of Japanese and Korean uniforms. This is meant to be odd but I hope folks can enjoy it.

C&C as always! Enjoy!

599f5d66c0de3_HomeFinalizedDoublePins.thumb.png.d4d91aa60ea77f7d77ffa46122303db5.png
599f5d52b133d_HomeAlt.thumb.png.82e78da01c822dd1e44197d6863e84f2.png
599f5d3c367d9_AwayFinalized.thumb.png.2f7ceb3ef612cba45821e48aa396be3d.png

This Yankees set is definitely out of the box! My favorite part is having the logo act more as a crest, that's a cool idea that I've definitely never seen before. Tampa Bay should be one of the more interesting sets so far, looking forward to it!

Toronto Blue Jays today:

This was a little tougher than one might expect and I went through several variations. This wasn't so simple as just plugging the current designs into the old pullover Blue Jays uniforms. The original set used a sky blue and it was applied not only to the piping on the home uniform but also on the logo itself. The current logo doesn't swap that sky blue for navy, it switch royal blue for sky blue and navy for royal blue. The lighter color is always on top. So after some experimentation, I think the current royal and navy logo works best. I found that inserting sky blue meant an overwhelming temptation to make the road uniform the same color. However, if I make that shade too light, it makes the top half of the logo too hard to see. If I make it too dark, it blends too closely with the royal blue elements of the uniform and makes the road uniform too muddy to begin with. So rather than opt for a grey road, I kept the powder blue but opted in the royal/navy color palette. I ran with the navy trim on the road uniform but I left it off the home and alternate jersey. It's more in keeping with the earlier design and I don't want to tinker too much with arguably the best uniform in baseball.

C&C as always. Enjoy!

Home.thumb.png.5bed8fb9f690bf0c4aa0891bc37858ed.png
Away.thumb.png.6578578fcfe843455787ada89a39f954.png
Alternate.thumb.png.13a8547e1c34d12a3e16cb3e43a2e02d.png

Finishing up the AL East today with the Tampa Bay Rays.

This set is meant to be a logical evolution of the Rays' gorgeous fauxbacks. I doubt they would have continued using the Padres font until the present day but I really like the way the lower-case "r" and "tb" look so for this modern font, I've kept it all lower case as an homage. I've also opted for the uncial "a" because it looks really cool in a modern font. I really love the sunburst logo so that gets carried over even as I've ditched the aquatic references. As another reference to the fauxbacks, I've kept the raglan sleeves on. In an effort towards more economy in the design, I've cut the 3-stripe pattern from the fauxback down to 2. There's a lot of room for alternates but I like keeping it to relative minimum so I've done the basic green jersey. I'm open to suggestions and I haven't even looked into doing something with more yellow yet. I've also opted for white shoes to add a little Florida flair. (Yes I know the A's also wear green and wear white shoes).

C&C as always! Enjoy!

Home.thumb.png.4234da2c4fefd94b0dd1383058533a05.png
Road.thumb.png.9b877b6743fa5328bb0177f331a6a0b7.png
Alternate.thumb.png.3637716f95dca86cc761e81c2548b3b6.png

Wow, nice job with the Rays! I really like the new wordmarks and the slight angle you gave them. Also glad you committed to one type of "ray" rather than teetering between a sunray and a sea creature as the team currently does. Because you used such a dark shade of green, I would pair the white front paneled cap with the alt to brighten it up a bit. I too would like to see some more yellow somewhere. How about putting the sunburst on the socks? 

As an aside, any chance we could see a red Canada Day alternate for the Blue Jays? 

20 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

Wow, nice job with the Rays! I really like the new wordmarks and the slight angle you gave them. Also glad you committed to one "ray" rather than teetering between a sunray and the sea creature as the team currently does. Because you used such a dark shade of green, I would pair the white front paneled cap with the alt to brighten it up a bit. I'd like to see some more yellow somewhere. How about putting the sunburst on the socks? 

As an aside, any chance we could see a red Canada Day alternate for the Blue Jays? 

Regarding the sunburst on socks what did you have in mind? Something like the Twins "TC" or like what I did with the Marlins sunburst? I'll get cracking on the other suggestions!

33 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Regarding the sunburst on socks what did you have in mind? Something like the Twins "TC" or like what I did with the Marlins sunburst? I'll get cracking on the other suggestions!

I meant just the sunburst logo on the sides of the socks (like the Twins' "TC"). 

Solid updates! The Sunny Sunday alt is a nice option that really brings out the yellow.

For the socks, I was thinking maybe leaving off the stripes so that the sunburst could be the focus, unless you're really married to the sock stripes. 

Toronto looks really nice! The added navy works surprisingly well with the set, my favorite aspect is how well all 3 blues go together on the away, it's a great look.

The Rays look great as well. I love the forest and powder scheme, especially with the added presence of white in the updates.

I will admit though that I'm not big on the set with the added yellow, I just personally don't think that color goes well with the forest and powder. Separately, both of those colors are fantastic with yellow I think, but in this case with them together I would just keep it to an accent. 

Great job with the series so far!

Archived