Alternative History MLB Double Knit Era Series by Carolingian Steamroller (FINALIZED DESIGNS ALL 31)

Carolingian Steamroller

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rounding out the NL Central with the St. Louis Cardinals.

I know there are a lot of fans of the Ozzie Smith era V-neck uniforms but I wanted to do something a little more austere and unique for the Cardinals. I'm a big fan of the crew-neck uniforms, especially since the early uniforms had a detail where the white stripe on the collar was much narrower than the blue and red stripes.
baseball-st-louis-cardinals-lou-brock-sl

So I went with 2-1-2 crew neck collar and pants striping. For the waistband, I had originally thought to just leave a traditional belt but instead I tried out replicating the sock striping on the waist with its predominantly white backdrop with red and blue stripes. I also bowed to consensus and used St. Louis on the road birds and bat.

C&C appreciated as always. Enjoy!

Home.thumb.png.ba052754fd2229f9e6f392a650d4f3e9.png
Away.thumb.png.4617b86926b8225209770eeadadfcd2e.png

AL Central leads off with the White Sox.

Essentially this is a reworked version of my Sox 2.0 concept from my last thread. There are two major differences. First is that with the new V-neck and with no jersey placket, I was able to center the numbers on the road jersey. Secondly, I went with untucked jerseys. I'm a big fan of the 1976 Sox uniforms and I believe that tailored properly, the untucked look could be terrific. To that end, I shortened the jersey hem and added a hem stripe, sort of like a hockey sweater. I did two alts, focusing on excessively hot days. A black road jersey and an all white Sunday alt.

C&C as always. Enjoy!

Home76WhiteCollar.thumb.png.d74bea2f8fefee644652586b49faad78.png
Away76White.thumb.png.a1dd62e8f866e4786f285f9719a307eb.png
Spring76White83.thumb.png.c6beda336ea187b3cc655595a6f2471e.png
59a8250428865_WarmWeatherHome.thumb.png.f79239589a7054e786fb13c0a9a3dc6a.png

Awesome job on the Sox. The only thing I don't like is the diagonal "Sox" as a sleeve patch, which is the same pet peeve I have with their current spring training jersey. I'd use the winged sock on the entire set. 

13 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Awesome job on the Sox. The only thing I don't like is the diagonal "Sox" as a sleeve patch, which is the same pet peeve I have with their current spring training jersey. I'd use the winged sock on the entire set. 

Interesting. I actually like the diagonal S-o-x on the spring jersey. I was excited to do these alts since I thought the plain, non-outlined S-o-x, would look great in that spot. 

4 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Interesting. I actually like the diagonal S-o-x on the spring jersey. I was excited to do these alts since I thought the plain, non-outlined S-o-x, would look great in that spot. 

I just think it's a little odd having two distinct "Sox" marks on the same jersey, but I can definitely live with it.

Either way, I'm looking forward to Cleveland!

Cleveland Indians today.

For Cleveland the most glaring change is eliminating Chief Wahoo, which I think everyone is in agreement with. However, instead of using the block-C, I've opted instead for the wishbone-C that the Tribe used from the '30s through the '60s. It works great with the cursive jersey script, especially on the new white-panel home cap. The uniform stripes are based roughly on these old practice jerseys worn in Major League. I've always liked that pattern so I opted to use it here. I could decide which combination of sleeves and socks works best with the navy alternate jersey so I've posted both. 

C&C welcome! Enjoy!

Home.thumb.png.f717b5eca2224a49ae8a4322cf22ae81.png
Away2.thumb.png.19427a7167723c4ff7a74246e269d84e.png
Alternate2.thumb.png.46caa52eedbf7f2620489552b835dd97.png
Alternate.thumb.png.ca2d32e3925cd8e3fbb5d61913c3fb9c.png

The Indians look excellent. It's a very nice, clean, crisp look for them, topped off by the white front paneled cap. For the alt, I would go with the red stirrups. 

Looking forward to Detroit! Unless I'm mistaken, they're the first time in this series that never wore a pullover home jersey, so I'm anxious to see how you adapt it. 

On 6/29/2017 at 11:07 PM, coco1997 said:

Looking forward to Detroit! Unless I'm mistaken, they're the first time in this series that never wore a pullover home jersey, so I'm anxious to see how you adapt it. 

This was a challenge since the Tigers' signature uniform feature, the headspoon, is completely tied to the button down jersey. There's the '70s triple striped road but I felt something different was needed. A lot of teams had that at some point and I imagine the Tigers moving in a more retro direction even as they modernized the rest of the uniform. So I've opted for bi-color trim on the road and adapted the soutache to run down the sleeves, like in the fan made Brewers design from a few years back. 

I've kept the crazy belt loops because honestly, double knits or not, you'd have to be insane not to keep that going. 

C&C as always! Enjoy!

Home.thumb.png.e262479481edcf3c235f99d0c15cf827.png
Away.thumb.png.62e947bfb00ac447dac5638b706a5f93.png

Royals up next:

The Royals '70s and '80s uniforms are classics but there were a few things they lacked. The powder blue roads needed to use the Kansas City script and a blue outline on the white scripts. I swapped the home stripes from double blue to single blue which better matches the original button up uniform and looks a little cleaner than the original. I also feel that the Royals have always looked better without stripes on the pants, especially the powder blue roads. 

I've also added a "Crowned Royals" uniform using the current BP cap logo and plenty of gold trim. 

C&C as always. Enjoy!

Home2.thumb.png.5dfbfd8bc7d5890e4396e8f7bfba04f5.png

Away.thumb.png.856bf0d62bd547451143acf2cdec7cfe.png
Crowned.thumb.png.4f91b980480664f755cfb94762f95aef.png

18 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Royals up next:

The Royals '70s and '80s uniforms are classics but there were a few things they lacked. The powder blue roads needed to use the Kansas City script and a blue outline on the white scripts. I swapped the home stripes from double blue to single blue which better matches the original button up uniform and looks a little cleaner than the original. I also feel that the Royals have always looked better without stripes on the pants, especially the powder blue roads. 

I've also added a "Crowned Royals" uniform using the current BP cap logo and plenty of gold trim. 

C&C as always. Enjoy!

Home2.thumb.png.0a7c575f4d387f7f0c8efd620eac5e45.png
Away.thumb.png.cd38934373ceeefa0df4daa11a0040b6.png
Crowned.thumb.png.fe3e861f7d27a43efe945a19e5ef2abd.png

Love it!

0JZafhY.gif7YcM9pl.gif

qsNLfmj.gifbIW6GIL.gif

Archived