What team is THAT?

oldschoolvikings

I recently posted this photo in the "Best Decade for Uniforms" thread (because it's an awesome picture).

5286845601_eb32df1315_o.jpg

Can anybody help with identifying a few of the teams?  First, the obvious... we have two from USC (#64 and 19), two from Northwestern (the purple jerseys), and the orange helmeted guy is from Illinois. I have guesses on a few others... I think the gold and green is either Notre Dame or Baylor, and the blue and white is either Duke or Kentucky. I believe the lone African-American representative (it was the mid-60's) is from Oklahoma, but I could be wrong (that shade of red and the TV numbers make me doubt it's Alabama... Arkansas is a possibility).  The red uniform with the UCLA stripes could be a lot of teams.  The two that I'm most lost (and most curious) about are the bookends up front. That blue and gold on the left and the orange (I think it's orange) and blue on the right are great looks... West Virginia?  Florida?  Anybody help?

1 minute ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I recently posted this photo in the "Best Decade for Uniforms" thread (because it's an awesome picture).

5286845601_eb32df1315_o.jpg

Can anybody help with identifying a few of the teams?  First, the obvious... we have two from USC (#64 and 19), two from Northwestern (the purple jerseys), and the orange helmeted guy is from Illinois. I have guesses on a few others... I think the gold and green is either Notre Dame or Baylor, and the blue and white is either Duke or Kentucky. I believe the lone African-American representative (it was the mid-60's) is from Oklahoma, but I could be wrong (that shade of red and the TV numbers make me doubt it's Alabama... Arkansas is a possibility).  The red uniform with the UCLA stripes could be a lot of teams.  The two that I'm most lost (and most curious) about are the bookends up from. That blue and gold on the left and the orange (I think it's orange) and blue on the right are great looks... West Virginia?  Florida?  Anybody help?

What year is that from? (not having checked the other thread...)

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The orange and blue is Florida - that's the helmet they wore from '61-63.

The yellow and blue is not West Virginia:

s-l1000.jpg

Maybe Cal or Pitt?

s-l1000.jpg

The blue and white might not be Kentucky, though it's still a decent guess.  Perhaps it's Penn State (?)

1200px-Thin30.jpg

Perhaps Oklahoma had a white stripe on its helmets, which makes the two red unis more of a mystery.

a62ca0b1c64ac10a7fda9b630a95b34a.jpg

That could be the College All-American team from 1964.  That would be the only reason so many players from different teams are in the same photograph.   The coach is Ara Parseghian, Notre Dame

Jack Snow Notre Dame
Dick Butkus Illinois
Gale Sayers Kansas

Larry Kramer Nebraska

Glenn Ressler Penn State

Larry Elkins Baylor

Tucker Frederickson Auburn

Fred Biletnikoff Florida State

Rick Redman Washington

John Huarte Notre Dame

Ralph Neely Oklahoma

30 minutes ago, Bill81361 said:

That could be the College All-American team from 1964.

I was wrong because Parseghian is in his Northwestern jacket making this 1963.

ETA, I found the answer; it was the Playboy All-American team - 

Top row, left to right: Ken Kortas, Tackle — Louisville; Jim Kelly, End — Notre Dame; Harrison Rosdahl, Tackle — Penn State; Hal Bedsole, End — USC. Middle Row, left to right: Jack Cvercko, Guard — Northwestern; Dick Butkus, Center — Illinois; Damon Bame, Guard — USC; Ara Parseghian, Coach of the Year — Northwestern. Bottom Row, left to right: Rick Leeson, Fullback — Pittsburgh; Marv Woodson, Halfback — Indiana; Tom Myers, Quarterback — Northwestern; Larry Dupree, Halfback — Florida

http://www.insidesocal.com/usc/2014/07/30/the-1963-playboy-all-american-team/

29 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

That was fun... wanna have a go at this one?

1971b.jpg

What team is that with the all-black monochrome on the far right?

#76 in the back is Syracuse

#81 in the front is likely Utah

41 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

That was fun... wanna have a go at this one?

1971b.jpg

What team is that with the all-black monochrome on the far right?

Once again google tells me you're posting Playboy All-American teams; this one the defensive team from 1971.

Archived