MLBers in Minor League rehab stints also NHLers

KDubK414

I was going to post this in the "Players in the Wrong Uniform" thread but didn't know if it should be there. Baseball and hockey have a rarity, that is until the G-League takes off and every team has an affiliate, in that players can come up and be sent down for a variety of reasons. It's always crazy when you see your star players suiting up for your farm teams. I got this idea when I searched for Ryan Braun while he was doing his rehab assignment in Appleton as a member of the Timber Rattlers as seen in this video....

http://www.milb.com/multimedia/vpp.jsp?content_id=1536087683&sid=t1174

As well as seeing the picture of David Ortiz playing for the same team when they were a Seattle Mariners affiliate. These aren't necessarily the wrong uniforms, just rare occasions. Are there others out there like this?

What's even more rare about the above video is that it was also a famous MiLB "one off" night. Are there any others like that?

packchampionslfroh.png

Not so much a rehab start as much as it was a brief stint of a few games, but one I wish I would've been able to go see in person, Tim Lincecum with the Bees:

IMG_6636.thumb.JPG.fed7d77a6a312a4ec91098b7fc73bd96.JPG

And then there was Andres Galarraga with the Salt Lake Stingers back in 2004:

IMG_6637.JPG.22899cb57778bc3561379e3fca541704.JPG

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Outside the stadium of the Trenton Thunder, there are banners showing Derek Jeter and Bernie Williams in Thunder uniforms.

5959a181bae81_Thunder-Jeter.thumb.jpg.141d6323e5df641ec4128ee2eef4b3d6.jpg  5959a19a3bc5d_Thunder-Williams.thumb.jpg.dc19b15f54661dc1a0bda3437e5efd29.jpg

Dwight Gooden went directly from Class A ball to the Major Leagues; so the sight of him in a Tidewater Tides uniform during a rehab assignment is very strange.

__3-6-2.jpg.f25ef57ef774b797c267526cf91ada89.jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 7/2/2017 at 9:51 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Dwight Gooden went directly from Class A ball to the Major Leagues; so the sight of him in a Tidewater Tides uniform during a rehab assignment is very strange.

__3-6-2.jpg.f25ef57ef774b797c267526cf91ada89.jpg

I saw Gooden pitch for 1983 Lynchburg Mets of the Carolina League.  Nobody could touch him.  I am pretty sure that upon completion of that season, he was sent up to the triple A Norfolk Tides and was on their roster for the 1983 International League Playoffs.

I think the pic you posted is from 1987 during Doc's rehab stint.  He pitched in both Lynchburg and Norfolk.  The Tides wordmark on that uniform is loosely based upon the Mets' "New York" script wordmark that was introduced that season. ?? ⚾️????⚾️??

I got my name in the local paper for being the first in line to get tickets to see Gooden pitch again in Lynchburg.  ⚾️?⚾️?⚾️?⚾️

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

2 hours ago, Mitch B said:

I am pretty sure that upon completion of that season, he was sent up to the triple A Norfolk Tides and was on their roster for the 1983 International League Playoffs.

I don't think so. Baseball Reference shows that that 1987 rehab assignment at Tidewater was Gooden's first appearance at the AAA level.

(And the Tidewater Tides didn't change their name to "Norfolk" until 1993.)

4 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I don't think so. Baseball Reference shows that that 1987 rehab assignment at Tidewater was Gooden's first appearance at the AAA level.

(And the Tidewater Tides didn't change their name to "Norfolk" until 1993.)

"At Lynchburg he finished the season 19-4 and struck out 300 hitters in 191innings. This earned him a promotion to Triple-A Tidewater in time for the International League playoffs. Gooden got two starts for manager Davey Johnson’s team. The first was a loss to Columbus in the semifinals. Gooden then started the decisive game of the playoff finals and defeated the Richmond Braves 6-1 to win the International League title..5 Goodn finished his season by pitching a complete-game win against Denver as Tidewater won the Triple-A World Series, a round-robin event.6."- http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/d9e52fa4

17 hours ago, ZipperClub said:

I see Clint Frazier wore #5 at AAA, which is obviously not available with his parent club. Don't most MLB clubs enforce retired numbers on their farm teams?

Not to my knowledge. 

Individual minor league teams retire their own numbers, and they stay retired no matter the parent club. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

2 hours ago, Mitch B said:
7 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

"At Lynchburg he finished the season 19-4 and struck out 300 hitters in 191innings. This earned him a promotion to Triple-A Tidewater in time for the International League playoffs. Gooden got two starts for manager Davey Johnson’s team. The first was a loss to Columbus in the semifinals. Gooden then started the decisive game of the playoff finals and defeated the Richmond Braves 6-1 to win the International League title..5 Goodn finished his season by pitching a complete-game win against Denver as Tidewater won the Triple-A World Series, a round-robin event.6."- http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/d9e52fa4

I don't understand why this 1983 AAA activity is not recorded on Gooden's Baseball Reference page.

2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I don't understand why this 1983 AAA activity is not recorded on Gooden's Baseball Reference page.

I don't either.   I remember the Tides had baseball cards commemerating the '83 Championship Season and a Gooden card was included.

Archived