Quirky nameplates

MJWalker45

20170701_220212.thumb.jpg.1e2af43827eff796209144595f707245.jpg20170701_215838.thumb.jpg.8485c1a4107ab0f94e7d657739f7cd99.jpg

Watching Long Island vs New York City All Star Gamr and noticed the nameplates. NYC obviously based off of the subway signs. I'm not familiar with the Long Island icon but I'm guessing it matches road signs on that side of the rivalry.  They look like they should be put up on each players locker rather than the jerseys. Not sold on either helmet logo but they are meant to link back to each area and it's a one off so there you go. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Funny that I was watching it earlier and noticed it immediately as the state route marker. I guess better than anything. It's also the number on the sleeve caps for each team. So, it has some continuity, but that also makes it quite repetitive.

The Long Island 'surf' logo just seems a little 'not Long Island' to me. The Grafiti-esque NYC logo looks good.

Also, what is interesting is the upper/lowercase nameplates. Not that common to me at least to notice it immediately.

Just now, dont care said:

Didn't that NOB for Miami last for only one game because it got massive backlash from fans?

Yep, makes it even more quirky 

Excellent!

15 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

Speaking of unusual NOBs...

3G9u9bx.jpg

(To be honest, I kind of like the way this looks on the Bullets - though it must have been hard to read on 1980s TVs!)

JjS9iLm.jpg

oS21Eux.jpg

TKTNJtk.jpg

9qfszI3.jpg

I actually like the font of the Floridians one a lot (prefer it above the number, but the look of it on its own is good). The rest are garbage, though.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Floridians is great but loses points for being a nameplate. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 7/2/2017 at 10:11 AM, Lights Out said:

Speaking of unusual NOBs...

9qfszI3.jpg

The bridge font was pretty cool, but had to be a nightmare for equipment managers (unless they had an easy way of creating the names).  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Holy sh1t - I never noticed the Capitals bridge font before, and that was an era when I watched a lot of hockey.  That's one of those things I'd usually pick up on instantly, but this one slipped right by.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

28 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Holy sh1t - I never noticed the Capitals bridge font before, and that was an era when I watched a lot of hockey.  That's one of those things I'd usually pick up on instantly, but this one slipped right by.

I wad thinking the sam thing, but went to nhluniforms.com and found they only used the bridge font 1997-98 to 1999-2000 on the black alt only. The font was straightened out from 2000-01 to 2006-07 when the black jersey was used full time. 

On 7/3/2017 at 11:02 AM, eastfirst107 said:

IHL Orlando Solar Bears really went to town on their nameplates back in the day...lower-case, arched, double outlined.

orl11_b.jpg

As a former typesetter, that's not lower-case.   If anything, I'd call it "initial caps".  Lower-case would require the first letter to be lower case too.  Or maybe "sentence case", since proper nouns are always capitalized. 

But your greater point is well taken.  There's a whole lot going on there. 

Archived