Sign in to follow this  
the admiral

How do you folks make your iced tea in the summer?

the admiral    10,191

Sweetened? Unsweetened? Hot-brewed? Cold-brewed? With fruit? Arnold Palmer? 

I'm only now getting to my first batch of sweet tea for the summer after only making cold-brewed, sometimes with lemon, mostly because I was too cheap and lazy to buy a new glass pitcher until a couple weeks ago. Did you know those fancy jugs with the spigots run you like thirty bucks? I just bought a one-gallon "cracker jar" from Target for like $6 instead. Maybe that makes me the cracker. So far it hasn't shattered at the touch of boiling water.

I just read that adding basil is a good idea if you like anise-y flavors (how, though), and hey, I love that. I think I'll do that after I polish off this gallon in like two days.

mr.nascar13    653

We used to have a Mr. Coffee brand "Tea Maker" that would brew the tea. However, the machines would only last about three months or so, then they redesigned the machines to be more square and it made stirring and brewing much worse.

After that we'd boil the water on the stove with a few tea bags already in it, then add it to the pitcher. I could never get the taste right again after that so I just started buying Pure Leaf. I won't drink any other tea, especially if it uses corn syrup.

Cold and sweet ate the way to go with a touch of lemon every now and then. 

the admiral    10,191
3 hours ago, DDR said:

I can't tell if this is a parody thread or not.

I'm genuine and irony-free in my tea enthusiasm. Hate coffee, 99% gave up soda.

Kaz    665

I generally just fill a large lidded pitcher with half ice half water, and let about 5 bags of either jasmine or green tea soak in it for half a day in the fridge.  I don't generally bother doing this for regular sweet tea because I'm pretty content with the jugs from Publix, but I'd imagine it would work the same for those sort of teas as well.

the admiral    10,191

I'm content with a lot of the jugs when I'm at a Publix too but I prefer to brew my own tea.

infrared41    3,658
12 hours ago, the admiral said:

Sweetened? Unsweetened? Hot-brewed? Cold-brewed? With fruit? Arnold Palmer?

Like this...B)

front_en.21.200.jpg

I'm not a tea drinker, but my better half lives on the stuff. She only drinks unsweetened iced tea. Occasionally, she sets up some sort of tea making rig, but she really likes McDonald's iced tea. You ever try their tea? 

the admiral    10,191

I have not but I'll try it next time I'm on the road.

Ice-cold Coke is awesome in the summer, the 1% of soda I can't give up.

DDR    951

Good for you. I also don't like coffee but can't quit soda. Iced Tea, unsweetened with lemon is...fine. Every couple days we boil a big pot of water and drop in 4-5 tea bags, steep awhile, then mix with ice water and squeeze lots of lemon into a glass. Maybe muddle some basil down there, too.

infrared41    3,658
2 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I have not but I'll try it next time I'm on the road.

Ice-cold Coke is awesome in the summer, the 1% of soda I can't give up.

Oddly enough, just as I was posting my reply, my GF walks in the door with a fresh McDonald's tea and says "I'm thinking about brewing my own tea again, but I don't know which brand to go with." I told her about your thread and said I would ask you for a few suggestions. So what are some brands you'd recommend? 

OnWis97    2,180

@marble21  Not a tea guy but I love Hobnobs.  Stayed with friends in Dublin and cleaned them out.  Had to buy them more.

Michael Bolton    284

Here in the south, folks love them some sweet tea. I could never get into it; I'm not really a fan of sugary drinks. If I am going to drink iced tea, which is rare, I'll order an unsweet tea. I'm told I'm boring.

Harmening    203
1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

Like this...B)

front_en.21.200.jpg

I'm not a tea drinker, but my better half lives on the stuff. She only drinks unsweetened iced tea. Occasionally, she sets up some sort of tea making rig, but she really likes McDonald's iced tea. You ever try their tea? 

Speaking of Coca-Cola in the summer...

I always fondly remember riding my bicycle home after Little League practice, and stopping a block away from my house at a little full service gas station.  In there was a Coke machine that took a dime to pull out a bottle of Coca-Cola (along with the rest of the varieties).  Nothing beats the flavor of an ice cold Coca-Cola out of a glass bottle on a hot day.  

As for tea, I drink so much of it, that I just buy the Lipton tea powder and add water.  Not the same as a good sun tea, but I don't have the patience for it.

I usually have to make a new one gallon pitcher of it once a day.

dfwabel    984
1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

Oddly enough, just as I was posting my reply, my GF walks in the door with a fresh McDonald's tea and says "I'm thinking about brewing my own tea again, but I don't know which brand to go with." I told her about your thread and said I would ask you for a few suggestions. So what are some brands you'd recommend? 

You're below the Mason-Dixon, so the southerners will say Luzianne is the brand she should try first (I agree.) They have a specific tea blend for iced tea, plus green, hibiscus, decaf and cold brew varieties of it.

Also, use filtered  or purifued water, that's partly why McD's fountain drinks taste so much better than most other places.

HedleyLamarr    1,307
2 hours ago, the admiral said:

I'm content with a lot of the jugs when I'm at a Publix too but I prefer to brew my own tea.

Publix is the grocery store to hit up if you want to do some ass-watching.  They have slightly higher prices than the other grocery stores around Atlanta, but their food quality and skirt quality is so much better than the rabble that wanders through Kroger or Walmart.

We brew our own tea.  Luzianne and Tetley are the main ones we go with.  We go unsweetened, brew it with filtered water in the 12-cup coffee pot (The Skirt will use the French Press or the Keurig for coffees or whatever) and make a gallon, then add fresh-sliced lemons or oranges (or those flavor drops if there's a hankering for cranberry or peach flavoring).  I go just straight unsweetened.

I'm not much of a fan of sweet tea and rarely get a craving for lemonade, and I haven't had a soft drink in nearly 10 years.

the admiral    10,191

Yeah, Publix attracts talent in Florida too, plus, the groceries are really good. 

And yeah, Luzianne and filtered water for me too. This sweet tea might be a little too sweet. Either I'm not used to it like I used to be or I got the balance wrong.

dfwabel    984
2 hours ago, the admiral said:

Yeah, Publix attracts talent in Florida too, plus, the groceries are really good. 

And yeah, Luzianne and filtered water for me too. This sweet tea might be a little too sweet. Either I'm not used to it like I used to be or I got the balance wrong.

Don't try to sweeten with just sugar. Make a simple syrup and use that.

As for Publix, they, along with Enterprise Rent A Car, are one of the most love/hate private companies. Love conveience; hate everything else.

Publix has great deli section and can fry foods like nobody's business yet they always settle discrimination suits based on race and gender constantly over the last 35 years.

Whenever Publix expands... they always discriminate and settle, but their chicken finger sub would make Tank tweet out its greatness.