Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
the admiral

How do you folks make your iced tea in the summer?

62 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, dfwabel said:

You're below the Mason-Dixon, so the southerners will say Luzianne is the brand she should try first (I agree.) They have a specific tea blend for iced tea,

She went with Luzianne based on yours and the admiral's recommendation. 

2 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Publix is the grocery store to hit up if you want to do some ass-watching.  They have slightly higher prices than the other grocery stores around Atlanta, but their food quality and skirt quality is so much better than the rabble that wanders through Kroger or Walmart.

Just curious, what does your wife think of you...well...being, you know, you?

That aside, I agree that Publix is the best. Being in a committed relationship myself, it never occurred to me to "ass-watch" at Publix.  I just really like the store. 

Posted (edited)

21 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

She went with Luzianne based on yours and the admiral's recommendation. 

Hopefully, the initial initial brew is from  a filter from your home, or a gallon of purified water.

Growing up in Tampa, we had VERY hard water due to the limestone. Even with a Culligan system and 100 lbs. of salt every two months, Zest was the soap we bought.

Edited by dfwabel
salt emphasis

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

Being in a committed relationship myself, it never occurred to me to "ass-watch" at Publix.  I just really like the store. 

The hot moms of Publix are like the FedEx arrow: now that you know it's there, you'll never see anything else.

4 people like this

2 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Just curious, what does your wife think of you...well...being, you know, you?

That aside, I agree that Publix is the best. Being in a committed relationship myself, it never occurred to me to "ass-watch" at Publix.  I just really like the store. 

Well, she did say "Yes".  But enough of the T&A....back to the tea...

Supposedly, a good sign of sweet tea is that, when you smell it, that it reminds you of waffles.

*inhales deeply through nose*

mmm, a CCSLC poster from Brooklyn

3 people like this

Publix has nothing on the greatness that is  Wegmans.

and in that vein, Wegmans brand tea is quite good. I either go hot black, hot with milk and sugar, iced with sugar, or iced with less sugar and lemon.

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, DiePerske said:

Publix has nothing on the greatness that is  Wegmans.

and in that vein, Wegmans brand tea is quite good. I either go hot black, hot with milk and sugar, iced with sugar, or iced with less sugar and lemon.

I've been to both Wegman's and Publix. Wegman's is pretty good, but Publix is the best. 

20 hours ago, the admiral said:

The hot moms of Publix are like the FedEx arrow: now that you know it's there, you'll never see anything else.

I'll have to test that theory when I'm back in Florida this winter. 

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

I'll have to test that theory when I'm back in Florida this winter. 

I was going to do Wal-Mart for the curbside pickup, but now I think I have to see what this Publix fuss is about.

Last time we were in Florida, me and the missus couldn't stop snickering at the name Publix (with the obvious mispronunciation) every time we passed one.

Yes, when the kids aren't around we revert to 12 year olds. 

1 person likes this

I just order whatever unsweetened option's available whenever I go out anywhere.  The bottled stuff is crap because they insist on putting citric acid in it.

Starbucks and Coffee Bean have pretty good iced green tea.

3 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Last time we were in Florida, me and the missus couldn't stop snickering at the name Publix (with the obvious mispronunciation) every time we passed one.

Yes, when the kids aren't around we revert to 12 year olds. 

Reminds me of my roadtrip to Iowa to see Wisconsin at Iowa in football during college.  Four "mature" college guys in a car could not stop giggling about the convenience store chain known as Kum & Go.

3 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Reminds me of my roadtrip to Iowa to see Wisconsin at Iowa in football during college.  Four "mature" college guys in a car could not stop giggling about the convenience store chain known as Kum & Go.

That can't be real.

Tea whether hot or iced is not my cup of tea. I'll only drink the stuff if half of it is lemonade. I haven't had a soft drink in at least 3 years, no thanks to juice, and coffee isn't my thing either. Pretty much the only beverages I take in are a lot of water and beer. 

My local Kroger is excellent for mom spotting and my future mrs has commented on this too. 

5 hours ago, LMU said:

I just order whatever unsweetened option's available whenever I go out anywhere.  The bottled stuff is crap because they insist on putting citric acid in it.

Starbucks and Coffee Bean have pretty good iced green tea.

Starbucks iced mango green tea lemonade is AMAZING....

As for tea, I usually get mine out of a jug from Publix.  Even better when is BOGO FREE.

Bottled iced teas are almost universally 100% crap.

I don't drink sweet tea much, but every time I visit my mom I drink the better part of a gallon of hers.

3 Luzianne tea bags (the ones specifically made for iced tea I think, they're larger) in a pitcher with a quart or so of water in it. Remove the staple from the tea bags and microwave the tea bags with the water for a few minutes (tying the strings together and draping them over the edge of the pitcher tends to work) until it's hot but not boiling. Take the pitcher out and remove the tea bags, but don't throw them away. Mix in 1 1/2 cups* of sugar. By now, your tea bags should now be cooled down enough to handle - press the tea bags against the inside of the pitcher and squeeze the "juice" out of them. Not hard enough to rip the tea bag, but enough to get most of the goodness out. Discard tea bags. Pour the concentrated tea in a gallon jug, fill the rest with water. Place in fridge and allow to cool.

Mom's been making multiple gallons of this stuff every week for nearly 40 years. I trust her method.

*some people swear by 2 cups per gallon. That's entirely too sweet for me. 1 1/2 cups is sweet enough without being overwhelming. Adjust if your tastes vary.

TWO CUPS PER GALLON? I did one cup per gallon and thought I was drinking sugar water like a hummingbird. I was thinking of doing 3/4 cup and 10 minutes of steeping so I had less sweet and more tea. Again, I've been drinking unsweetened iced tea all through the fall, winter, and spring, so maybe I'm not properly calibrated for sweet tea, but again [Joel in Hired! voice] TWO CUPS?

7 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Starbucks iced mango green tea lemonade

There are too many words here

7 hours ago, McCarthy said:

My local Kroger is excellent for mom spotting and my future mrs has commented on this too. 

Mariano's in the Chicago area has a great yoga pants scene. Great store for the most part but the bakery is kinda bad. Maybe because I grew up eating Jewel-Osco chocolate chip cookies every day, I can't accept anything else.

Peach tea is my favorite, (will settle for others) but this is by far the best brand I've ever tasted (Snapple is ok too) 

IMG_9278.JPG

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, the admiral said:

TWO CUPS PER GALLON? I did one cup per gallon and thought I was drinking sugar water like a hummingbird. I was thinking of doing 3/4 cup and 10 minutes of steeping so I had less sweet and more tea. Again, I've been drinking unsweetened iced tea all through the fall, winter, and spring, so maybe I'm not properly calibrated for sweet tea, but again [Joel in Hired! voice] TWO CUPS?

Well, there is a reason why the southeastern states tend to rank higher in obesity rates.....

Perhaps that's why I'm not a huge fan of sweet tea...folks are using too much sugar to the point where that's all I taste.  Now I love sugars...ice cream, shakes, cakes, you name it.....but I want the flavor of whatever to overpower the straight sugar taste.