Sign in to follow this  
the admiral

How do you folks make your iced tea in the summer?

B-Rich    229

In February, the doc told me to stop drinking so much Diet Coke, so I did and switched to iced tea (which was my back-up drink when Diet Pepsi was all that a place had).  Although not as convenient as buying and using a 12 pack of Diet Coke, I actually like it a lot better, and now just have one can of Diet Coke a day (in the morning; don't do coffee).

I make a gallon pitcher as needed; unsweetened, but with lemon juice and a bit of Splenda added to it (have to watch the calories and keep the weight down.)

On 7/10/2017 at 3:53 PM, sc49erfan15 said:

3 Luzianne tea bags (the ones specifically made for iced tea I think, they're larger) in a pitcher with a quart or so of water in it. Remove the staple from the tea bags and microwave the tea bags with the water for a few minutes (tying the strings together and draping them over the edge of the pitcher tends to work) until it's hot but not boiling. Take the pitcher out and remove the tea bags, but don't throw them away. Mix in 1 1/2 cups* of sugar. By now, your tea bags should now be cooled down enough to handle - press the tea bags against the inside of the pitcher and squeeze the "juice" out of them. Not hard enough to rip the tea bag, but enough to get most of the goodness out. Discard tea bags. Pour the concentrated tea in a gallon jug, fill the rest with water. Place in fridge and allow to cool.

This is similar to what I do-- use large ice tea bags from Luzianne (after all, I am in Loozy-ana) . But I follow their directions exactly-- 4 bags steeped for 5 minutes in 1/2 gallon water that had just boiled.  Like you, I squeeze out the bags.  Pour it in a gallon jug, add another 1/2 gallon of water.  Add some Splenda and lemon juice. Done.  Lasts me almost a week.

Until I read this thread, never thought about using purified/filtered water.  Was wondering how many times I would need to refill the Brita pitcher to make a gallon of tea, then it hit me-- the water/ice dispenser for the Fridge has an in-line charcoal filter (I NEVER use that water dispenser, just ice dispenser for my many cocktails). So, last night, for the 1st time I used it in making a gallon of tea.  Will see if there is any difference this evening after work.

10 hours ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

Peach tea is my favorite, (will settle for others) but this is by far the best brand I've ever tasted (Snapple is ok too) 

IMG_9278.JPG

Every one of their flavors that I have tried is delicious (Peach, Strawberry, Blueberry, Cantaloupe, Sweet). But far too many calories to drink on a regular basis... I also like how each flavor is tied to a place in Texas (Fredericksburg- Peach, Sugarland- Sweet, etc).

lopernv    300

I haven't been doing iced tea this summer. I have in the past, and liked using rooibos steeped cold for ~12 hours. I made a move to cold brew this summer. Been going 1 cup to 1 litre of water (works out to approx. 1:4 ratio), coarse grind with any dark roast, let it sit in the fridge for ~24 hours and filter it through cheesecloth. Usually use lower quality beans for cold vs hot as I find it more forgiving but I've been thinking of splashing the cash, as it were.

I find the markup on cold brew insane, and making it at home is incredibly easy. I'd also like to get into making kombucha for the same reason but I don't think I'm prepared to mess with fermentation.

Semi-related, but one of the things I like about living in the States now is the availability of unsweetened tea, much prefer it over sweetened. Back home there is no unsweetened and sweetened, it's just called iced tea and it's all sweet (not to say you couldn't get unsweetened, but you'd have to search for it).

Bucfan56    3,679

I've made a two batches this summer, with varying results. I generally like my sweet tea more on the tea side and a bit less on the sweet side, where my girlfriend likes hers on the "buried in an avalanche of sugar" side. The first batch I made I loved and she thought tasted like crap, where the second batch I made she loved and I thought I was going to get Wilford Brimley style diabeetus from if I finished a whole cup. 

I agree that bottled sweet tea is mostly crap, but there's ONE brand that I absolutely love. Can't find it where I am, but I have a friend who still brings it back every summer. It's WAY sweeter than I usually like, but damn it's good. 

IMG_2746.JPG.b9cf95f21538efe26b6ae2c20a1f3634.JPG

DNAsports    510

I used to use Lipton tea bags to make my sweet tea. Not anymore. I live in Maryland and a few years ago I visited some family living in Arkansas. It was there I was introduced to Kroger's. I knew of the grocery store chain, but it was never accessable to me. To put it short, the store brand tea bags they sell are amazing for making sweet tea. This past March my relatives came up and I asked them to bring a few boxes up for me. Little did I know, my cousin who lives in Richmond told me there were a few Kroger's where he lives. I could have been through quite a few boxes already if I knew that.

Now a few weeks ago, I was introduced to this beauty of a tea:

haymakers-tea-lightly-sweet.jpg

It's definitely a different taste and takes a few swigs to get used to, but it is fantastic and everyone should give it a try.

B-Rich    229
21 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

Wilford Brimley style diabeetus

:lol: That just cracked me up for some reason..

As an aside, my wife is a doctor and has a lot of elderly New Orleans native ladies as patients.  She says most of them refer to it in the old local vernacular, as "sugar diabeetus"

HedleyLamarr    1,307
On 7/11/2017 at 11:05 PM, lopernv said:

I find the markup on cold brew insane, and making it at home is incredibly easy.

We went to the grocery store earlier, and the cold brew tea is double the price.  I guess you have to be some kind of lazy if you want to pay double because you can't take the time to boil water or put water into a coffee maker, etc.

slapshot    384

Is there a difference between Iced Tea and Sweet Tea, or is it just a region-specific naming thing?

If I'm in the mood for Iced Tea, I'll have either Snapple, Nantucket Nectars (their Arnold Palmer is delicious), or Arizona.

the admiral    10,195
38 minutes ago, slapshot said:

Is there a difference between Iced Tea and Sweet Tea, or is it just a region-specific naming thing?

Iced tea is tea that is served cold. It may or may not be sweetened and can be hot-brewed or cold-brewed (sun tea splits the difference). Sweet tea is iced tea that's been made with boiling water and a lot of sugar. The nomenclature isn't regional, but sweet tea is definitely more a southeastern thing.

EDIT: I read on some page that had the suggestion for basil/mint syrup (RECOMMEND) that in Canada, "iced tea" basically refers to something like Lipton Brisk, where it's a powdered drink with lots of sugar and lemon, such that Canadians who find themselves in the non-Southern U.S. will order iced tea in a restaurant and be disgusted upon tasting their bitter brown leaf water.

2 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

We went to the grocery store earlier, and the cold brew tea is double the price.  I guess you have to be some kind of lazy if you want to pay double because you can't take the time to boil water or put water into a coffee maker, etc.

You can cold-brew any tea you want if you're capable of putting a jar in a refrigerator overnight. Some racket.

sc49erfan15    881

I rescind my "bottled iced teas are almost universally 100% crap" comment - I drink a lot of Arizona's Diet Peach Tea and Arnold Palmer Zero. "Regular" flavored (this includes lemon) bottled iced teas are almost universally 100% crap. Flavored bottled teas are often quite delicious.

Gobbi    238
On 2017-07-15 at 9:29 PM, the admiral said:

EDIT: I read on some page that had the suggestion for basil/mint syrup (RECOMMEND) that in Canada, "iced tea" basically refers to something like Lipton Brisk, where it's a powdered drink with lots of sugar and lemon, such that Canadians who find themselves in the non-Southern U.S. will order iced tea in a restaurant and be disgusted upon tasting their bitter brown leaf water.

You got that right. I've been caught off guard a couple times when ordering iced tea when I'm travelling to the US. You think I'd learn after the first time. On the flip side, I ordered "sweet tea" at McDonald's in Vegas a few years ago expecting it to be what our Canadian "iced tea" tastes like and I was disgusted by how sweet it was. 

Still MIGHTY    1,855
4 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

"How do you folks make your tea?"

"I buy the bottles from the store."

Correct

twi    271
18 hours ago, Gobbi said:

You got that right. I've been caught off guard a couple times when ordering iced tea when I'm travelling to the US. You think I'd learn after the first time. On the flip side, I ordered "sweet tea" at McDonald's in Vegas a few years ago expecting it to be what our Canadian "iced tea" tastes like and I was disgusted by how sweet it was. 

I imagine the McD sweet tea is actually a concentrate and somewhere along the line somebody forgot the part about adding water to achieve the proper balance. 

I like my tea preference to my hot sauce preference, if all I can taste is 'sweet' or 'hot', it's too much. I have this neat pitcher with a diffuser through the middle that I put cut or muddled fruit in. That (along with a little sugar during the brewing of course) provides the perfect flavor. 

jmac11281    1,086
On 7/12/2017 at 1:38 PM, Bucfan56 said:

I've made a two batches this summer, with varying results. I generally like my sweet tea more on the tea side and a bit less on the sweet side, where my girlfriend likes hers on the "buried in an avalanche of sugar" side. The first batch I made I loved and she thought tasted like crap, where the second batch I made she loved and I thought I was going to get Wilford Brimley style diabeetus from if I finished a whole cup. 

I agree that bottled sweet tea is mostly crap, but there's ONE brand that I absolutely love. Can't find it where I am, but I have a friend who still brings it back every summer. It's WAY sweeter than I usually like, but damn it's good. 

IMG_2746.JPG.b9cf95f21538efe26b6ae2c20a1f3634.JPG

Wawa stores are basically on every corner where I am reside. I love the diet green tea.

the admiral    10,195

I don't trust a lemon iced tea that's that dark! The lemon juice is supposed to make the tea really pale yellow.

twi    271
On July 18, 2017 at 0:21 PM, AstroBull21 said:

Publix now has limited edition half gallons of strawberry iced tea....so good.

Seconded. It is excellent. 

The recent coconut one they had was amazing also. 

AstroBull21    545
7 minutes ago, twi said:

Seconded. It is excellent. 

The recent coconut one they had was amazing also. 

Coconut regular tea, or was it green or white tea?

leopard88    935
On 7/8/2017 at 8:08 AM, mr.nascar13 said:

We used to have a Mr. Coffee brand "Tea Maker" that would brew the tea. However, the machines would only last about three months or so, then they redesigned the machines to be more square and it made stirring and brewing much worse.

I use one that I've probably had for close to twenty years.  Still works like a champ.

Looks like this but with a yellow pitcher (see second picture) and power button --

1297987007-33357_full.jpgMr-Coffee-3-Quart-Iced-Tea-Maker-REPLACE

I brew it that way . . . and use way too much sugar making sweet tea. I'm not partial to any particular brand of tea, but usually wind up using Luzianne or Lipton since they make the large tea bags.

Formula for the three quart Mr. Coffee version --

10 tea bags (or 3 large ones)

Allow to steep for about 3 minutes after the light goes out (Mr. Coffee users will know what I mean)

10 tablespoons of sugar 

Stir well

Refrigerate

It turns out sweet, but not as syrupy as lot of southern sweet teas.