Some NFL WAH episodes I don't understand

msubulldog

Giants in 1980 for all home games.

Eagles in 1995 for all home games--along with 1971, 1973, and some occasions in the 80s when they weren't necessarily playing the Cowboys.

Falcons in both 1986 and 1989 for all home games.

Buccaneers in 1996 for all home games.

Panthers in several post-season games in Charlotte

Saints in 1981 and 1982--the first two seasons Bum Phillips was coach (considering he had the Oilers wear Columbia Blue in the Astrodome).

Saints in the Sean Payton era for the first half of the regular season and at least one preseason game.

Bills in the first half of the 80s

Jets for one game in the 70s at Shea per season.

Jets in the Meadowlands the last half of the 80s.

Dolphins for prime-time games in 1977 and 1996.

Patriots in the mid-80s.

Bengals in 1970 and 1971.

Oilers for random home games in 1973 and 1974.

Oilers after Bum Philllips left until midway through the 1984 season.

Titans for all but one game in 2014.

Colts in 1980 in Baltimore

Colts for the first pre-season game in Lucas Oil Stadium since moving there.

Chiefs in 1980.

Chargers during the #AirCoryell era, and again in 1991.

Rams the first few years in Anaheim whenever they played an AFC team and/or a prime time game.

Rams for all but 3 games in 1978.

Rams in 1982 and 1993.

Rams in St Louis (few and far between at that)

49ers for preseason games at Candlestick, when the weather that froze many baseball fans during that era would not really justify WAH.

49ers in 1976, and again during the first couple of home dates when Bill Walsh started coaching.

One I forgot last night when I started this thread:  The Texans between 2002 and 2009 for the preseason and first half of the regular season, even if the roof was closed.. Thank, goodness they only do this with a #LibertyWhiteOut for the first regular season game.

Are you sure about the Eagles going WAH for all home games in '95?

Also, they did it for the first 2 home day games a lot (if not all the time) from 03-12 (maybe later) except for a couple throwback games.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 7/15/2017 at 2:19 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

Are you sure about the Eagles going WAH for all home games in '95?

Yep - Eagles wore WAH for 1995.

Bucs, Rams, Chargers, Broncos, and the NFC East wore dark jerseys at the Vet.  Even the Lions in the playoffs wore blue in Philly.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The Jets tend to do it for their first two home games. It's obviously to gain an advantage by wearing lighter color jerseys, though I hate the visual inconsistency of wearing white at home part of the year, and green at home the rest of the year. 

Unless you're the Dallas Cowboys, stick to wearing dark colors at home. It looks so much better, and more visually consistent too.

14 minutes ago, kroywen said:

The Jets tend to do it for their first two home games. It's obviously to gain an advantage by wearing lighter color jerseys

That's why they went from green helmets to white: so that their QBs can spot their targets better.

5 minutes ago, sayahh said:

That's why they went from green helmets to white: so that their QBs can spot their targets better.

I think it had more to do with wanting to return to the old 1960s uniforms, which used white helmets. White helmets probably wouldn't help all that much in terms of QBs spotting their targets better anyway, considering two of the Jets' three divisional opponents also wear white helmets (granted, the Bills didn't back when the Jets made the switch to white helmets), and the Pats also wear a light-colored helmet.

58 minutes ago, sayahh said:

So no other team wears white helmets?  In 1998, the Colts and Dolphins both had white helmets.

1 hour ago, sayahh said:

I always heard it was the Bills who switched from white to red to make it easier, since four of the five AFC East teams at the time wore white helmets.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

4 minutes ago, kroywen said:

And both were in the Jets' division, FWIW. 

And Testaverde had just come from Baltimore, posting huge passing yards in black helmets, so it's not like he he required white helmets. 

The 1997 green-helmet Jets were better than the 1996 green-helmet Jets.  Coaching has a lot more to do with success than helmet color.

35 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The 1997 green-helmet Jets were better than the 1996 green-helmet Jets.  Coaching has a lot more to do with success than helmet color.

Yes, but that doesn't stop teams from perpetuating the whole myth of uniforms, like wearing white at home to force other teams into darker colors or what not. 

6 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Yes, but that doesn't stop teams from perpetuating the whole myth of uniforms, like wearing white at home to force other teams into darker colors or what not. 

The only reason the Patriots win so much is because they intimidate opponents with their all black unis... :D

On 7/14/2017 at 5:47 PM, msubulldog said:

Giants in 1980 for all home games.

Eagles in 1995 for all home games--along with 1971, 1973, and some occasions in the 80s when they weren't necessarily playing the Cowboys.

Falcons in both 1986 and 1989 for all home games.

Buccaneers in 1996 for all home games.

Panthers in several post-season games in Charlotte

Saints in 1981 and 1982--the first two seasons Bum Phillips was coach (considering he had the Oilers wear Columbia Blue in the Astrodome).

Saints in the Sean Payton era for the first half of the regular season and at least one preseason game.

Bills in the first half of the 80s

Jets for one game in the 70s at Shea per season.

Jets in the Meadowlands the last half of the 80s.

Dolphins for prime-time games in 1977 and 1996.

Patriots in the mid-80s.

Bengals in 1970 and 1971.

Oilers for random home games in 1973 and 1974.

Oilers after Bum Philllips left until midway through the 1984 season.

Titans for all but one game in 2014.

Colts in 1980 in Baltimore

Colts for the first pre-season game in Lucas Oil Stadium since moving there.

Chiefs in 1980.

Chargers during the #AirCoryell era, and again in 1991.

Rams the first few years in Anaheim whenever they played an AFC team and/or a prime time game.

Rams for all but 3 games in 1978.

Rams in 1982 and 1993.

Rams in St Louis (few and far between at that)

49ers for preseason games at Candlestick, when the weather that froze many baseball fans during that era would not really justify WAH.

49ers in 1976, and again during the first couple of home dates when Bill Walsh started coaching.

I don't know about all of them but I know a couple of them. The Titans in 2014 started wearing white at home because they had a new owner who did not like the columbia blue jerseys. He wanted to abandon those colors.

This article tells you what teams were thinking. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1988-12-04/sports/8802240535_1_true-colors-nfl-teams-browns-uniform

Archived