Spirits of St. Louis Reboot

Bruins

In my opinion, the Spirits of St. Louis were by far the coolest ABA identity. The funky, orange uniforms were just as awesome as they were seventies, and their logo was fantastic as well. And so if the NBA ever expands into STL, they should definitely reboot that awesome identity. Now, personally, i would have 0 problems with them literally just copying and pasting the Spirits design from 1975 to 20--, but I'm almost positive that would never happen, so this is basically my plan B. While i was brainstorming this in my head, I realized that a basketball already has a St. Louis Arch in it. How convenient is that?! It certainly helped serve as an anchor for this project, because i knew that would be the centerpiece with some plane-related imagery to help it. So as I was experimenting with roundels and such, i realized that i could get the exact image i was going for with simply a specifically angled basketball and two simple propellers. Along with a modern take on the vintage Spirits script, I'm pretty happy with the result.

OKuFIH5.jpg

I'd really love to hear some C&C on this, I'm curious to hear what you guys think! Thanks!

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

It's genius. Very simple, very straightforward, and the arch on the bottom of the basketball is friggin genius. Subtle. Fitting. Excellent.

The script is ok. Functional. It works. Nothing super special though.

What I'd like to see is a plane-based secondary logo, that's what's missing here. An actual look at the plane. That's the fun piece you need to make this something really special - that's where you put that ABA whimsy and make this less stoic.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Really like what you have going here, but I think the propellers are holding it back. For the longest time, I couldn't get over thinking they were tiny wings. I think you could fix this problem by rotating them about 30 degrees clockwise, or possibly adding a third spoke. I also agree with Hockey Week about the secondary, a plane logo would really complete this set.  

19 minutes ago, hockey week said:

It's genius. Very simple, very straightforward, and the arch on the bottom of the basketball is friggin genius. Subtle. Fitting. Excellent.

The script is ok. Functional. It works. Nothing super special though.

What I'd like to see is a plane-based secondary logo, that's what's missing here. An actual look at the plane. That's the fun piece you need to make this something really special - that's where you put that ABA whimsy and make this less stoic.

Wow, thank you!

Yeah, it's definitely not as exciting as the original, but I don't want it to be overcomplicated and take away from the main facet of the logo either, being as simple as it is.

I plan on expanding to secondaries and unis, I just wanted to get some feedback on this first.

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

1 hour ago, jmoe12 said:

Really like what you have going here, but I think the propellers are holding it back. For the longest time, I couldn't get over thinking they were tiny wings. I think you could fix this problem by rotating them about 30 degrees clockwise, or possibly adding a third spoke. I also agree with Hockey Week about the secondary, a plane logo would really complete this set.  

You know, idk that the wings mistake is a problem. 

Because you're right, they DO look like wings. I think I thought the same thing initially. I don't know that it's a bad thing to think that, though. The Spirit of St Louis was a plane, the first thought of a fan might be a plane, it's a flying basketball, the idea works either way. It could be one of those "hidden features of logos" that say things we all know that blow away random people (There's an H in the Whalers logo. Whaaaa? The Brewers' old logo makes a glove with an m and b. WHOA! The Spirits of St. Louis logo is a propeller, not a plane. MIND BLOWING! ya know?) Because to do it fully correctly, the ball would have to be far smaller, and you lose the detail there. A third spoke would make the logo fill more vertical space, but it would not be accurate, and that could screw up the forced perspective where you see the St. Louis Arch on the ball. 

It's possible that there are some design issues, the little reflection on the right blade where it meets the ball looks like an error, idk if the lines line up as well as they should at the top, idk if the angles are correct on the blade - it looks alright, but the more you look, the more I want to compare lines. Hopefully with enough bumps, someone who knows design really well can nitpick this to perfection. 

But I think the logo looks very stoic, corporate-esque (and I mean that in a positive way), and on par with the NBA logos. It fits. It's super simple and effective and has all sorts of layers while looking simple. 

A logo this simple, stoic, and hard needs to be balanced with a more whimsical secondary, and if you're working on that, carry on. I think you've got an excellent start.

Made a few quick adjustments:

3PGDptT.jpg

Secondaries/Unis to come, thanks for the great C&C! (esp. from Hockey Week, really appreciate it)

Lz5f6vZ.png

I keep seeing a Harry Potter golden snitch rather than a propeller. I think the shape is slightly off. The sharp symmetrical point at the ends are not what a propeller looks like in my mind (or on Google images). I love the arch in the ball though.

13 minutes ago, Whitefoot said:

I keep seeing a Harry Potter golden snitch rather than a propeller. I think the shape is slightly off. The sharp symmetrical point at the ends are not what a propeller looks like in my mind (or on Google images). I love the arch in the ball though.

Dammit, can't unsee.

1 hour ago, Zeus89725 said:

Dammit, can't unsee.

Now that this was mentioned, I agree here. Also, propellers don't come to a point. They have rounded tips (see the picture below).

Speaking of this picture, using a three-bladed propeller will help it look more like a propeller as opposed to a golden snitch.Image result for airplane propeller

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

The reason I only included two propellers is because the actual Spirit of St. Louis only had two. I will make the blades more rounded though, I think that'll fix a few problems.

Lz5f6vZ.png

11 hours ago, Bruins said:

The reason I only included two propellers is because the actual Spirit of St. Louis only had two. I will make the blades more rounded though, I think that'll fix a few problems.

Well, to that I say that it doesn't matter that much. Look at Austin Peay State University. On the left is a picture of the actual Austin Peay. On the right is their current athletic logo. Mr. Peay clearly wasn't the Monopoly guy, but that didn't matter. An extra propeller blade wouldn't make the biggest difference. I think if you want historical accuracy, use the actual wordmark from the plane (just an extra "s" for "Spirits").

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

1 hour ago, stumpygremlin said:

Well, to that I say that it doesn't matter that much. Look at Austin Peay State University. On the left is a picture of the actual Austin Peay. On the right is their current athletic logo. Mr. Peay clearly wasn't the Monopoly guy, but that didn't matter. An extra propeller blade wouldn't make the biggest difference. I think if you want historical accuracy, use the actual wordmark from the plane (just an extra "s" for "Spirits").

Try round it out first. See if that fixes it. The perspective on a third propeller while still keeping that bottom view of the basketball is going to be a nightmare. Plus, you could do a uniform with that long horizontal logo above the numbers instead of a wordmark, and it would look great. I think a two-propeller thing is a much better, much more vintage design. Let's see what can be done to un-snitch this first.

On 7/18/2017 at 11:14 PM, seancarter said:

cool look but you should have used original colors of spirits of st.louis 

What colors are you referring to orange and white are the original colors. Anyways onto C&C, I think you should go three propellers because if you are wanting to make it look just like the plane then there wouldn't be a basketball in the center and it wouldn't be orange. Three propellers just make it look more like a plane

Excellent!

Archived