Your city's Mount Rushmore

A local radio station did this a few years back and it sparked a few debates, whereas others were pretty unanimous. So, if you had to create a Mount Rushmore for your city, what would it look like? 

I know Mount Rushmore has only 4 Presidents, but let's round up to 5. 

Can be from all sports, but athletes in individual sports (boxing, etc.) would represent the city they're from (ie. Joe Louis= Detroit, etc). Can also pick heavier from one sport than others (ie. NY would be Yankees heavy)

Feel free to do just your own or several or whatever you'd like.

I'll do a few that I feel are pretty locked in.

Detroit- Gordie Howe, Barry Sanders, Isiah Thomas, Al Kaline, Joe Louis 

Boston- Larry Bird, Tom Brady, Bobby Orr, Bill Russell, Ted Williams 

Philadelphia- Joe Frazier, Julius Erving, Reggie White, Wilt Chamberlain, Mike Schmidt 

San Francisco- Joe Montana, Steve Young, Jerry Rice, Barry Bonds, Willie Mays

Los Angeles- Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Kobe Bryant, Sandy Koufax, Wayne Gretzky (HM- Marcus Allen, Shaquille O'Neal, Wilt Chamberlain)

Phoenix- Charles Barkley, Steve Nash, Larry Fitzgerald, Randy Johnson, ___________

Dallas- Roger Staubach, Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, Mike Modano, Dirk Nowitzki

Houston- Hakeem Olajuwon, Clyde Drexler, Nolan Ryan, Earl Campbell, Craig Biggio (HM- Warren Moon)

sig.png

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty sure this has been done, but I'll play along.

Baltimore - Ray Lewis, Cal Ripken, Jr., Brooks Robinson, Ed Reed, Jim Palmer

spacer.png

Salt Lake's easy! John Stockton, Karl Malone, Jerry Sloan, Larry H. Miller.

Kyle Beckerman and Nick Rimando are very well beloved here too, but if you only have four spots, it's gonna begin and end with those four for probably forever. If you get to pick a fifth though, probably Beckerman.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 hour ago, Crabcake47 said:

Pretty sure this has been done, but I'll play along.

Baltimore - Ray Lewis, Cal Ripken, Jr., Brooks Robinson, Ed Reed, Jim Palmer

Very close.  I love Ed Reed, but you seem to have overlooked . . . Johnny Unitas.

Honorable Mention would be Frank Robinson. I might have put him ahead of Jim Palmer 10 years ago, but Jim has been on Orioles broadcasts long enough to seal his place on the list.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

1 hour ago, crashcarson15 said:

Cleveland is, uhh, actually probably a lot more difficult than I would've initially thought.

LeBron James, Jim Brown and Jesse Owens are the givens for me. I'll go with Bob Feller for the fourth, but it's a tough call.

I tried doing Cleveland as well. Tough.

58 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

Very close.  I love Ed Reed, but you seem to have overlooked . . . Johnny Unitas.

Honorable Mention would be Frank Robinson. I might have put him ahead of Jim Palmer 10 years ago, but Jim has been on Orioles broadcasts long enough to seal his place on the list.

Don't forget about Michael Phelps! Might not be on the list, but definitely worth a mention.

sig.png

1 hour ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Salt Lake's easy! John Stockton, Karl Malone, Jerry Sloan, Larry H. Miller.

Kyle Beckerman and Nick Rimando are very well beloved here too, but if you only have four spots, it's gonna begin and end with those four for probably forever. If you get to pick a fifth though, probably Beckerman.

I was keeping it to players...which I know is difficult when you only have 1 pro team (sorry, MLS). 

sig.png

1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

Johnny U, cant believe his have been dead for 15 years now.  

so long and thanks for all the fish.

24 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Don't forget about Michael Phelps! Might not be on the list, but definitely worth a mention.

I forgot about him.  I'm not sure I bump Palmer for him, but it's a close call.

5 minutes ago, goalieboy82 said:

Johnny U, cant believe his have been dead for 15 years now.  

Agreed.  That doesn't seem possible.  Then, again, my son wasn't quite 1 year old when he died . . . and he just got his learner's permit.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Just now, leopard88 said:

I forgot about him.  I'm not sure I bump Palmer for him, but it's a close call.

Agreed.  That doesn't seem possible.  Then, again, my son wasn't quite 1 year old when he died . . . and he just got his learner's permit.

and Johnny U wasn't that old (69 years old)

so long and thanks for all the fish.

1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

I feel ashamed, to be honest.  LUL

So yeah, I'd say Unitas bumps out Reed.  And I'd say Palmer slots in nicely at #5 ahead of guys like Reed, Suggs, Frank Robinson, and Phelps because he's the only Orioles player to win 3 rings with the team.

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

I feel ashamed, to be honest.  LUL

So yeah, I'd say Unitas bumps out Reed.  And I'd say Palmer slots in nicely at #5 ahead of guys like Reed, Suggs, Frank Robinson, and Phelps because he's the only Orioles player to win 3 rings with the team.

:D

That's a good tiebreaker to use.

From Tampa, I can think of three definites - Vincent Lecavalier, Martin St. Louis, and Derrick Brooks.

From there, it feels like another Buc should be in there, and an obligatory Ray, but I don't really feel like Evan Longoria has had enough distinction in his career to be there, and if not him, then I can't think of another Ray who is that distinct. As for the Bucs, Warren Sapp certainly has the accoldates but he's also a renown dickhead. I'm hesitant to put any current Bucs or Bolts players in there because so much can still go wrong with a few of them, even if I'm ecstatic to have Jameis Winston as my QB at this moment in time. 

I dunno, I'll say Lee Roy Selmon and John Lynch for the remaining two spots.

spacer.png

Couldn't do a 'Mount Rushmore' based on my city's teams (no pro teams) but if it was players that were born and/or lived here there would be wealth to choose from though it would be hockey heavy:

would have to choose 3 of the 5 from hockey: Alex Delvecchio, Jack Adams, Edgar Laprade.  (More recent consideration Eric Staal) 

curling: Al Hackner

skiing: Dave Irwin (or possibly Steve Collins)

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

5 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

San Francisco- Joe Montana, Steve Young, Jerry Rice, Barry Bonds, Willie Mays

I have a feeling that Buster Posey will probably knock Steve Young off of the list soon. As for the other places I've lived:

Milwaukee (counting the Packers) - Aaron Rodgers, Bart Starr, Bret Favre, Hank Aaron, and Robin Yount

(I'd swap Favre for Marquette's Al McGuire, if we're counting coaches)

Portland/Oregon - Bill Walton, Clyde Drexler, Terry Porter, Steve Prefontaine (track & field, but he still counts), and maybe Phil Knight (again, can owners/donors count?)

Archived