Your city's Mount Rushmore

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seattle:

- Ken Griffey Jr

- Gary Payton

- Russell Wilson (in over Hassellback because of the Super Bowl. And because he's better.)

- Greg the Hammer Valentine

Kissing on Valentine (obviously), but there are plenty of good candidates for the fourth spot: Kasey Keller, Hope Solo, Marshawn Lynch, Steve Largent, Alex Rodriguez, Randy Johnson, Ichiro, Sue Bird, Shaun Alexander... Plus a bunch of Huskies.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

8 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I don't think we can put Rodgers there yet, and I'm tempted to leave Favre off.

Well, uh, I would say don't. Not to acknowledge Brett Favre as an immortal of Wisconsin sports would be first-rate pettiness. No one cares who Don Hutson is.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

12 hours ago, TheGrimReaper said:

-Milwaukee/GB: Bart Starr, Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers, Robin Yount, Lew Alcindor/Kareem (hm Hank Aaron. better player than Yount, but I'd prefer to put a Brewer and not a Brave)

The thing with Kareem is that he's more remembered as a Laker/UCLA Bruin than as a Buck. If there's going to be any Buck on the list, it'd probably be Oscar Robertson or Ray Allen. Even then, I'd be tempted to have a famed Marquette basketball player in over them (i.e. George Thompson - for his work with the team after his playing days, Bo Ellis, or even Dwayne Wade). 

8 hours ago, TheGrimReaper said:

-Atlanta: Hank Aaron, Greg Maddux, Chipper Jones, Deion Sanders, Dominique Wilkins (hm Smoltz, Niekro, Glavine, Murphy, Matt Ryan)

Atlanta's would be Aaron, Dominique, Ryan, and Herschel Walker.  The next four would be Chipper, Murphy, Evander Holyfield, and Tommy Nobis.

On 7/20/2017 at 9:53 PM, the admiral said:

Well, uh, I would say don't. Not to acknowledge Brett Favre as an immortal of Wisconsin sports would be first-rate pettiness. No one cares who Don Hutson is.

Ignorance of history is no excuse.  Besides, I doubt one in five Americans can actually name a single accomplishment of Teddy Roosevelt beyond being in Night at the Museum

And pettiness?  How?  I have no ill will from the fallout over his departure.  I'm one of those who thought they should have held the number retirement years ago, just months after he left the Vikings.  I have no bitterness at all.  But I'm the end, he won one championship.  Hutson and Starr can run laps around that.   

If we only have four spots, I can't give three to the Packers.  And Favre, great as he was, just isn't in the top two.  

On 7/19/2017 at 7:47 PM, Kramerica Industries said:

From Tampa, I can think of three definites - Vincent Lecavalier, Martin St. Louis, and Derrick Brooks.

From there, it feels like another Buc should be in there, and an obligatory Ray, but I don't really feel like Evan Longoria has had enough distinction in his career to be there, and if not him, then I can't think of another Ray who is that distinct. As for the Bucs, Warren Sapp certainly has the accoldates but he's also a renown dickhead. I'm hesitant to put any current Bucs or Bolts players in there because so much can still go wrong with a few of them, even if I'm ecstatic to have Jameis Winston as my QB at this moment in time. 

I dunno, I'll say Lee Roy Selmon and John Lynch for the remaining two spots.

I'm not old enough to have seen Selmon, but he does have a highway cutting through Tampa named after him haha. I think Longoria would have to be up there, I think he's the first certainty the Rays have at retiring a number that actually played for them for more than retirement tour. I'm torn between Vinny and Marty though, Vinny was the franchise but Marty was the man, and more reliable. Brooks is a lock, one could argue Ronde, but I'd slot him in at like 6th of those listed above.

I don't think I saw Cincinnati done, so:

Pete Rose

Joe Morgan

Anthony Munoz

Johnny Bench

Ken Anderson or Boomer

Kansas City:

George Brett

Len Dawson

Tony Gonzalez

Derrick Thomas

Frank White

Indianapolis:

Peyton Manning

Marvin Harrison

Mel Daniels

Reggie Miller

Rik Smits

(HM- Reggie Wayne, Jermaine O'Neal)

Toronto:

Mats Sundin

Darryl Sittler

Dave Keon

Roberto Alomar

Vince Carter 

Nashville:

Shea Weber

Eddie George

Pekka Rinne

Steve McNair

5 is tough- Jevon Kearse or Keith Bullock

Washington DC:

Alex Ovechkin

Art Monk

John Riggins

Darrell Green

Wes Unseld

(HM- Elvin Hayes, Bryce Harper (still too new), John Wall)

New Orleans:

Pistol Pete

Drew Brees

Rickey Jackson

Archie Manning

Chris Paul

Twin Cities:

Kevin Garnett

Fran Tarkenton

Randy Moss

Adrian Peterson

Kirby Puckett

San Diego:

LaDainian Tomlinson

Dan Fouts

Junior Seau

Kellen Winslow

Tony Gwinn 

(HM- Lance Alworth, Antonio Gates)

sig.png

Chicago: Jordan, Payton, Butkus, Banks, Ditka.

Whoever from the current Cubs core lasts longest probably bumps Ditka at some point. The Bears footprint is just too big to even let Pippen or any Blackhawk in there.

The Mt. Rushmore of Keystone, SD: the actual Mt. Rushmore.

39 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Twin Cities:

Kevin Garnett

Fran Tarkenton

Randy Moss

Adrian Peterson

Kirby Puckett

I'd listed Bud Grant, Harmon Killebrew, Kirby Puckett, Kevin Garnett, Fran Tarkenton.

If you don't want to include coaches, then Bud Grant can be nixed (he actually did play for the Minneapolis Lakers, though that's not why he's loved in Minnesota).

But either way, I think Harmon Killebrew's got to be there.  

So we agree on KG, Tarkenton, and Puckett.  That leaves a few other options (Cris Carter, Rod Carew, Alan Page) but I'll stick with my other one (Killebrew) and yours (Moss and Peterson.  

As I said, Killebrew's there.  Moss vs. Peterson is a tough call. Gun to my head, I'd go with Moss because the 1998 offense was so explosive and fun and AP turns some people off with his fumbles and his brand of parental discipline.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

13 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

^ Tough to argue with that. Totally forgot about Killebrew. And Moss and Peterson are very close. 

Also, would George Mikan be worth consideration?

I don't think so on Mikan.  Certainly not based on the overall feelings of the fanbase.  That's just getting to be too long ago.

If some non-local panel of "sports guys" wanted to list the top five based on on-the-field/court play, he would get into the conversation and certainly the top 10.  But I think much of what we've been talking about relates to how well liked they are in the town.  

While Tarkenton and Killebrew are before my time (and I'm 43), they resonate with younger folks better than Mikan.  It's probably a combination of the fact that it was just that much longer ago and that the franchise left town.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 0:23 AM, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Washington: Bryce Harper, Joe Gibbs, John Riggins, Alex Ovechkin, Darrell Green

Honorable mentions: Wes Unseld, Elvin Hayes, Sonny Jurgensen, Sammy Baugh

Wouldn't put Harper there yet. He's still young. He could realistically leave after his contract is up in 2018 and end up playing for another team for a longer time than he was in Washington.

Ryan Zimmerman should probably be mentioned.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

For Washington, what about Walter Johnson? He was the Senators' only long-term star (and one of the greatest players ever, on top of that). I know he played a really long time ago, but I still think he's easily one of the four best athletes in DC sports history, no doubt.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Archived