Your city's Mount Rushmore

16 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

San Diego I agree on Gwynn, Hoffman, Fouts. Other two I'd put Steve Fisher and Don Coryell

LT wouldn't make the cut now that he's proven to be an LA lover. And Gates while good hasn't had nearly the impact of Fisher or Gates on both the team and the sport.

I'm keeping this to players only, not to mention Steve Fisher isn't that well known outside of the college basketball world.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Mine was a legitimate joke, but I hope yours is too! There's 15 Habs you could put ahead of Calvillo, Carter and St. Pierre.

Maurice

Beliveau

Lafleur

Robinson

Plante (Would be Roy, but his exit didn't help)

I know definitely you can fill several Mount Rushmores with Habs players alone. It wasn't a joke, but I went with one of each sport anyways, even though I'm aware it wouldn't be a legimate representation.

On 7/21/2017 at 8:49 AM, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

New Orleans:

Pistol Pete

Drew Brees

Rickey Jackson

Archie Manning

Chris Paul

First 4 are spot-on.

But Chris Paul does NOT get on that mountainside. Played only FOUR seasons IN New Orleans, with only one playoff series win to show for it, then forced a trade out of town.  Respected for what he did, and somewhat well remembered here, but not revered here.

That fifth spot would likely be taken by Morten Andersen (beloved in New Orleans; HOF), Sean Payton, or even Tom Benson (who would likely be the one PAYING for the "Mt. Rushmore" carving).

Eventually, Anthony Davis may be up there, but I doubt it.

Bobby Hebert would NOT be considered, either.

It is what it is.

17 minutes ago, B-Rich said:

First 4 are spot-on.

But Chris Paul does NOT get on that mountainside. Played only FOUR seasons IN New Orleans, with only one playoff series win to show for it, then forced a trade out of town.  Respected for what he did, and somewhat well remembered here, but not revered here.

That fifth spot would likely be taken by Morten Andersen (beloved in New Orleans; HOF), Sean Payton, or even Tom Benson (who would likely be the one PAYING for the "Mt. Rushmore" carving).

Eventually, Anthony Davis may be up there, but I doubt it.

Bobby Hebert would NOT be considered, either.

I was trying to think of a fifth (not counting coaches or owners in this). Paul was really the only choice I could think of, but you're right. He was the face of the Hornets for a few years, but I totally forgot about the 2 seasons in OKC. 

I think if Davis sticks around for the long haul, there's no question he's up there. But it's just about inevitable that he's gone to one of the premier teams within the next 5 years, just like Paul before him. 

That being said, I'm not sold on Morten. What about Rickey Jackson?

sig.png

13 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

That being said, I'm not sold on Morten. What about Rickey Jackson?

Rickey is a solid third.  HOF, is in the Saints Ring of Honor at the Superdome, spent all but the last year of his career with the Saints (and was signed to a one day contract so he could retire a Saint), still lives here and is loved by fans (met him a couple of times at political golf tournaments, real nice guy).

BTW, Saints ring of honor has Archie Manning, Rickey Jackson, Morten Andersen and Willie Roaf.

It is what it is.

Richmond, Virginia (Greater RVA):

Arthur Ashe 

Willie Lanier

Fran Tarkenton

Russell Wilson

Justin Verlander

Moses Malone

Lanny Watkins (Golf)

Whitney Hedgepeth (Olympic Swimming)

Reid Priddy (Olympic Volleyball )

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'd say North Jersey's Mount Rushmore based on being the actual athletes' home would be...

-Derek Jeter

-Shaquille O'Neal

-Rick Barry

-Bill Parcells (if coaches count)

-Tim Howard (if they don't)

As for guys who played here... well, it kinda obviously has to be two Devils and two Nets.

-Martin Brodeur

-Jason Kidd

-Scott Stevens

-Drazen Petrovic

53Ocz8U.png

I didn't really know about Dick Enberg's early broadcasting days until he passed away a few days ago and I saw people posting about his time calling UCLA and Rams games. That said, he would be the 4th on the LA "Mount Rushmore."

Vin Scully, Chick Hearn, Bob Miller, Dick Enberg

It's hard to imagine LA sports over the past several decades without hearing these voices. Together they announced 59 years of Dodgers games (67 counting Brooklyn), 41 years of Lakers games, 44 years of Kings games, and 10 years of UCLA basketball / Rams / Angels games.   

I forgot how much I loved this thread. That being said, I don't think anyone has tried their hand at any East Bay Mt. Rushmores yet, so I might as well be the first...

Oakland: Rickey Henderson, Al Davis, Stephen Curry, Ken Stabler, Charlie O. Finley
People from Oakland: Rickey Henderson, Bill Russell, Marshawn Lynch, Frank Robinson, Gary Payton
Berkeley: Joe Roth, Jason Kidd, Jackie Jensen, Joe Kapp, Billy Martin

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

• 2 weeks later...

Archived