2017 NFL Season: Then there were Two

buzzcut

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

And I thought colortv claiming Canada got the idea to refer to itself as “the North” from GoT was the most ridiculous thing I’d see posted on these forums this decade. 

A dynasty is not causing the ratings decline. Stop being silly.

You must have missed where someone in the Lounge said "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" is not a Christmas song.

11 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

The Pats problem is simple- they win too damn much.

I can't fault the Pats for winning too much, or wanting to win all the time. That's why they play the game....to win it. If you're not in it to win it then why even play the game?

5 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

See, here's what I'm having trouble with. How is that not a touchdown, but this is:

Beasley_asornp.gif

It's the same exact thing.

That's exactly what I was talking about at work with several other football fans. Both caught the ball and maintained possession of the ball while breaking the plain of the goal line. But I think I know the main reason the Cowboys got the TD.....and so does everyone else.:rolleyes:

People still think that was a TD? 

rxtnhmxfsk401.jpg

Even with the NFL "selective interpretation", going by the rule, he did not maintain possession. As soon as his elbow hit the ground, he lost possession of it.

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

11 minutes ago, ozzyman314 said:

People still think that was a TD? 

rxtnhmxfsk401.jpg

Even with the NFL "selective interpretation", going by the rule, he did not maintain possession. As soon as his elbow hit the ground, he lost possession of it.

But the ball broke the plain of the goal line, while maintaining possession, before his elbow hit the ground. Wouldn't that supersede the rule?

2 minutes ago, Viola73 said:

But the ball broke the plain of the goal line, while maintaining possession, before his elbow hit the ground. Wouldn't that supersede the rule?

He still has to maintain possession of it all the way through. He clearly did not. 

It's dumb, but it's the rule.

Same reason this was called back. 

Phantom Merch Collector.

Wasn't a TD since he would've been down short, but whether or not he caught the ball shouldn't have been overturned.  When he goes to the ground and the ball moves, his arm is blocking whether or not the ball touches the ground, so while it's more likely the ball touches the ground, his right hand being underneath the ball is entirely possible, and thus its inconclusive. When we actually see the ball touching the ground, he has control of it. Unless there's an angle I haven't seen. I mean, I don't know, I just don't think you can overturn it. 

The difference between it and the Dez Bryant play is we clearly see the ball hit the ground before Dez loses control. Not the case yesterday. We have to assume it hit. 

IUe6Hvh.png

12 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

Well then...I eagerly await @Still MIGHTY and his fellow Rams fans to deliver a pretty righteous smack down on me.

In fact, it got so bad that I went ahead and played on PS4 instead of watching the game... it was that bad. I don't think I can remember a time where Seattle got smacked around like this at CenturyLink.

As a Seahawks fan, that was bad as it gets. To lose by 5 TDs at home?? Just bad. I know there have been injuries this season, but maybe it's time to start retooling. The offensive line needs help badly and Bevell really needs to be fired. This team is a shell of what they were.

Just now, jmac11281 said:

As a Seahawks fan, that was bad as it gets. To lose by 5 TDs at home?? Just bad. I know there have been injuries this season, but maybe it's time to start retooling. The offensive line needs help badly and Bevell really needs to be fired. This team is a shell of what they were.

I do agree that the offensive line needs help badly, but to say it's time to retool might be exaggeration. There's a time where the team would have to face a future without the Legion of Boom. Injuries have jumped this project up by years, and that's the hard part.

There's still hope for Seattle to do something, but they need help.

Dallas still has a chance. They may have gotten a little help from a folded piece of paper; but they can still attempt to mount a playoff challenge.

They get Zeke back for Saturday against the shellshocked Seahawks, who got slapped silly by the Rams at home. That's a winnable game. The Eagles may be resting starters in Week 17 (provided they beat Seattle). They can win 10 games.

They already got a loss by Green Bay. They need a loss by Detroit (that can be achieved in Week 17), and 2 losses by Carolina (will need to lose 2 straight) or Atlanta (lose 2 of their last 3).

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

14 minutes ago, See Red said:

Wasn't a TD since he would've been down short, but whether or not he caught the ball shouldn't have been overturned.  When he goes to the ground and the ball moves, his arm is blocking whether or not the ball touches the ground, so while it's more likely the ball touches the ground, his right hand being underneath the ball is entirely possible, and thus its inconclusive. When we actually see the ball touching the ground, he has control of it. Unless there's an angle I haven't seen. I mean, I don't know, I just don't think you can overturn it. 

The difference between it and the Dez Bryant play is we clearly see the ball hit the ground before Dez loses control. Not the case yesterday. We have to assume it hit. 

The ball clearly touches the ground, as soon as his elbow hits, it bobbles, and his other hand is nowhere near under it. It was to the side. 

Clear as day he did not maintain possession the whole way through. 

Phantom Merch Collector.

I don’t know. I know a catch when I see one, and that’s a catch. They can codify it all they want, but at the end of the day common sense needs to prevail.  

Whats the point of the fumble out of the end zone rule? It bit the eagles a few weeks ago (tho they would have lost anyway) but it cost a team a game last night. Why is it different than fumbling forward in any other spot of the field?  Seems like one of those archaic rules that needs to be relooked at now that so much more is on the line with these games. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I've seen some crazy "catches" too, but once you get a closer look at it, and understand the rule they were using (at least their interpretation of it). It's incontrovertible, the right call was made. 

I will agree though, that the "Endzone-Fumble-Touchback" rule, needs to go the way of the "Tuck Rule". 

I smell a lockout coming. 

Phantom Merch Collector.

1 hour ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Dallas still has a chance. They may have gotten a little help from a folded piece of paper; but they can still attempt to mount a playoff challenge.

They get Zeke back for Saturday against the shellshocked Seahawks, who got slapped silly by the Rams at home. That's a winnable game. The Eagles may be resting starters in Week 17 (provided they beat Seattle). They can win 10 games.

They already got a loss by Green Bay. They need a loss by Detroit (that can be achieved in Week 17), and 2 losses by Carolina (will need to lose 2 straight) or Atlanta (lose 2 of their last 3).

Aaaaaand, that's where you lost all of us.

2 hours ago, ozzyman314 said:

The ball clearly touches the ground, as soon as his elbow hits, it bobbles, and his other hand is nowhere near under it. It was to the side. 

Clear as day he did not maintain possession the whole way through. 

You don't see the ball touching the ground when the bobble happens.  

jesse-james-catch.jpg

This, to me is not 100% proof that the ball touches the ground. It may not be likely but it is possible his hand is under it. The rule calls for conclusive evidence to overturn a call. 

For what it's worth I don't have a dog in this fight. I wanted both teams to lose somehow. I could understand the call on the field could've gone either way in real time but I don't think you can conclusively say anything about whether the ball hit the ground when he didn't have control. 

IUe6Hvh.png

14 minutes ago, See Red said:

You don't see the ball touching the ground when the bobble happens.  

jesse-james-catch.jpg

This, to me is not 100% proof that the ball touches the ground. It may not be likely but it is possible his hand is under it. The rule calls for conclusive evidence to overturn a call. 

For what it's worth I don't have a dog in this fight. I wanted both teams to lose somehow. 

How can his hand possibly be on the back end of that football? 

His elbow hits the ground, it clearly bobbles, and even if he's able to regain position, he's aided by the ground. I can't recall how many times they call that exact process an incompletion. 

Phantom Merch Collector.

46 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Aaaaaand, that's where you lost all of us.

Well, if the stars align; Dallas gets into the playoffs as a 6 seed. Certainly, the team looks a lot better than they did against the Chargers. The team was dead in the water, and everyone wrote them off.

Now, I'm not saying they're going to make the playoffs, but to still be mathematically eligible for postseason play after that horrible 3-game stretch where they didn't score double-digits in any of those games; I'm okay with that.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

2 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

I do agree that the offensive line needs help badly, but to say it's time to retool might be exaggeration. There's a time where the team would have to face a future without the Legion of Boom. Injuries have jumped this project up by years, and that's the hard part.

There's still hope for Seattle to do something, but they need help.

That's why I didn't say rebuild. Somewhere in between a rebuild and status quo is what they need.

Archived