2017 NFL Season: Then there were Two

buzzcut

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

What are the odds of the Browns pulling off the first 0-16 season since 2008?

They’re playing the Steelers. So... like 95%

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

2 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

In place of a Sunday Night game, they're flexing five games into the 4:25 PM time slot. 3 for CBS (Jacksonville-Tennessee, Buffalo-Miami and Cincinnati-Baltimore) and 2 for Fox (Carolina-Atlanta and New Orleans-Tampa Bay).

This was done to insure that all the games with some sort of playoff implication would played at the same time.

I kinda like this move. It reminds me of March Madness. I just hope the games are exciting. 

9 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Between the Bills and the Sabres, I've pretty much lost the ability to feel feelings about sports. I mention that just because I hope I don't come off as a homer, but damn is it frustrating having a rooting interest in an NFL game these days. Fixing officiating needs to be the #1, 2, and 3 priorities for the league. Why the hell are we even watching these games if we can't trust what's going on on the field? Replay was supposed to overturn the obviously horrible calls that everyone talked about the next day; it turned into football Skynet with a mind of its own.

Mike Pereria makes a great point, let the officials on the field make the final determination. Taking the decision out of their hands and giving it to some anonymous suit in a NY office was a stupid move and it has only made things worse. First thing's first, they need to change the stupid catch rule. Stop punishing receivers for trying to make a play in-bounds.

8 hours ago, PittsburghSucks said:

That's weak. I guess the fact that it's New Years Eve and they don't have a winner take all game is their reasoning for canceling the season finale of SNF?

You do realize it's New Year's Eve next week, right? NBC probably didn't want a game to interfere with their New Year's Eve event

7 hours ago, Tracy Jordan said:

Mike Pereria makes a great point, let the officials on the field make the final determination. Taking the decision out of their hands and giving it to some anonymous suit in a NY office was a stupid move and it has only made things worse. First thing's first, they need to change the stupid catch rule. Stop punishing receivers for trying to make a play in-bounds.

I would be afraid that pride would cause certain officials to stick with their calls even if NY says it should be clearly overturned.

Also:

Since tearing his ACL, Carson Wentz has 1 TD and 0 INTs, while Dak Prescot has 0 TD and 4 INT.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

In place of a Sunday Night game, they're flexing five games into the 4:25 PM time slot. 3 for CBS (Jacksonville-Tennessee, Buffalo-Miami and Cincinnati-Baltimore) and 2 for Fox (Carolina-Atlanta and New Orleans-Tampa Bay).

This was done to insure that all the games with some sort of playoff implication would played at the same time.

The 4:25 slot on RedZone is going to be en fuego

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

1 hour ago, Seadragon76 said:

You do realize it's New Year's Eve next week, right? NBC probably didn't want a game to interfere with their New Year's Eve event

NFL game > Whatever random celebrity NBC pays to show up for New Year's.

NSFCvyu.png

11 minutes ago, JWhiz96 said:

NFL game > Whatever random celebrity NBC pays to show up for New Year's.

Before the non-flex came up, NBC wasn't going to air a New Year's Countdown show.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

2 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

So they just realized yesterday that next Sunday is New Years Eve? I don't think so. When I check my on screen TV guide it still says Sunday Night Football. They canceled because there's no winner takes all game. I would have thought they'd have flexed Panthers at Falcons. NBC pays for a full season of SNF. So they must be getting some sort of refund.

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

3 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

12 hours ago, PittsburghSucks said:

That's weak. I guess the fact that it's New Years Eve and they don't have a winner take all game is their reasoning for canceling the season finale of SNF?

Yes, he does realize, because he said it's New Year's Eve in his post that you're responding to! You even quoted it and everything!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

Pretty sure they wouldn’t mind what is consistently the top-rated show of the week leading into any hypothetical New Year’s countdown show.

56 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

NBC will receive a make good, but the NFL also, but the league should've seen how poorly the two CFP games have performed on NYE as another reason not to bother.

You don't get it do you? The NFL made the choice not to give NBC the last game, if there was one, NBC would have received one. The fact that it is NYE is completely irrelevant.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

30 minutes ago, buzzcut said:

You don't get it do you? The NFL made the choice not to give NBC the last game, if there was one, NBC would have received one. The fact that it is NYE is completely irrelevant.

NYE has part to do with it.

The NFL didn’t want a meaningless game in the final spot due to ratings, and the ratings part of the equation is doubly so because of NYE. They’d get low ratings as it was, but if the game didn’t matter, no ones sticking around on NYE to watch a meaningless game.

And as several pointed out, there’s no overwhelming match-up. People have pointed Carolina-Atlanta as an option, but if the Seahawks lose to the Cardinals earlier, then Atlanta would already be in. It’s probable that Seattle could win, but nothing is guaranteed.

However, I think if this was any day other than NYE, Carolina-Atlanta would be in there. The NFL just didn’t want a double suck on the ratings.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived